Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Someone talk me out of 4x Liliana's Defeat in my SB this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Siivola posted:

Where are you seeing those prices? It's a monoblue deck, how the heck can it go that high? :psyduck:

A playset of playable mythics has a pretty high ceiling on a single playset of cards. Especially for a fun gimmick deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What are the cards in the mill deck that are spiking? That double mill enchantment?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

What are the cards in the mill deck that are spiking? That double mill enchantment?

Startled Awake is 10 bucks and rising.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Someone talk me out of 4x Liliana's Defeat in my SB this weekend.

I dunno about 4 but some number of Liliana's Defeat is almost certainly correct. I'm shocked that you had enough in your side that you were willing to cut to make room for the whole set but I'd be on at least 2 and maybe 3 if you knew the meta

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sit on my Facebook posted:

I dunno about 4 but some number of Liliana's Defeat is almost certainly correct. I'm shocked that you had enough in your side that you were willing to cut to make room for the whole set but I'd be on at least 2 and maybe 3 if you knew the meta

I don't have room for it. I'm just making a metagame bet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't have room for it. I'm just making a metagame bet.

What deck are thinking about playing that can even cast it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

What deck are thinking about playing that can even cast it?

Grixis Shadow.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Grixis Shadow.

I keep forgetting its modern weekend. I am even playing in a pptq. 4 is too many. 2-3 has to be the line even for a meta call.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Startled Awake is 10 bucks and rising.

Oh poo poo I should dump the one I have.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That mill deck is probably like a 2 week deck before people figure out how to fight and beat it unless it's literally a T1 kind of deck but I haven't done that much extreme testing outside of the few games I ran into it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

The only commonly-played counterspell in Modern right now is Stubborn Denial, so just put a Chalice on 1 since it also turns off like 75% of that deck.

EDIT: alternatively 4x Voice of Resurgence in the sideboard for after they take out all their removal for more negate effects.

EDIT EDIT: post the list so we can get a better idea of what kind of card you're looking for.

Probably going to make some more changes but here's the basic idea

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Arbor Elf
1 Blood Moon
1 Courser of Kruphix
3 Eidolon of Blossoms
4 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
3 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Idyllic Tutor
1 Journey to Nowhere
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram
2 Oblivion Ring
1 Phyrexian Unlife
4 Plains
1 Quarantine Field
2 Runed Halo
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
2 Sphere of Safety
1 Story Circle
4 Temple Garden
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Windswept Heath

//Sideboard
1 Ghostly Prison
1 Greater Auramancy
2 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
2 Rest in Peace
1 Rule of Law
1 Runed Halo
1 Seal of Primordium
1 Sphere of Safety
1 Starfield of Nyx
1 Stony Silence
1 Story Circle
1 Suppression Field

Display deck statistics

Needs to be an enchantment so I can tutor for it as a 1-of out of the sideboard. So either Choke or Eyes of the Wisent seem like the best bet.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

80s James Hetfield posted:

That mill deck is probably like a 2 week deck before people figure out how to fight and beat it unless it's literally a T1 kind of deck but I haven't done that much extreme testing outside of the few games I ran into it

There's only really so much you can do to fight it. Struggle to Survive and Commit to Memory seem like the best options, maybe perpetual timepiece. It may just be good right now.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

There's only really so much you can do to fight it. Struggle to Survive and Commit to Memory seem like the best options, maybe perpetual timepiece. It may just be good right now.

*thinking really hard* maybe you could play creatures and attack with them

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Death Bot posted:

it's about turning away players who would show up for the promo,

Those players don't qualitatively exist, though. Over a dozen years of data show that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I keep forgetting its modern weekend. I am even playing in a pptq. 4 is too many. 2-3 has to be the line even for a meta call.

I'm still trying to find ways to cut discard lol.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'm still trying to find ways to cut discard lol.

The deck just isn't the deck without the discard. Yes, its a late game gamble but yeah.

I am not playing the deck outside of helping playtest these days anyway. I would rather play counters company myself right now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Siivola posted:

Where are you seeing those prices? It's a monoblue deck, how the heck can it go that high? :psyduck:

The TCGplayer decklist buyer thing with the automatic best value finder.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Once people start siding in mill hate I'm thinking about a transformational sideboard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Once people start siding in mill hate I'm thinking about a transformational sideboard.

If people are still surprised when the Ux spells / combo deck runs out a T2 Thing in the Ice postboard I don't really know what to tell them.

This is true in all formats.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

what exactly counts as mill hate tho? i guess enchantment destruction?

maybe Ixalan will have my fav artifact repinted, Elixer of immortality, the fountain of youth was supposed to be south american right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/artic...cg-social-magic

Spikes are the problem with magic/fnm and they need to be seperated from the sheep.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Spikes are the problem with magic/fnm and they need to be seperated from the sheep.

LOL what a terrible take.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

LOL what a terrible take.

Corbin's slow decline into WotC shill/apologist has been really disappointing to watch.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I feel like loving with FNM in any negative way is going to lead to magic's sharp decline more than anything else they could do.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Have you ever thought about what a spike even is?

The gently caress is this thing? I want it seperated from me.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: We need store events that cater to casual players.

Solution: Let's take our most successful store event and slightly reduce support for it so everyone who currently plays it will leave, then pray that casual players randomly wander in and fill the void. If only we hadn't baited in "people who play magic" to our playing-magic-event with the incredibly valuable Servo Expedition, FNM would definitely have been a land untouched by Aetherworks Marvel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just wanting to be sure, I'm not going grog crazy after being a 5 year veteran and the game actually is getting worse, right?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just wanting to be sure, I'm not going grog crazy after being a 5 year veteran and the game actually is getting worse, right?

Count the standard bans in the last year.

Count the standard bans in the four years before that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We want enfranchised players to play on Saturday. But only standard please.

The next thing they are going to come for is limiting FNM formats again.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 18, 2017

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Sickening posted:

The next thing they are going to come for is limit FNM formats again.

This genuinely wouldn't surprise me

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's always* been bad.

*since like, Masques block

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

TheKingofSprings posted:

The *game* is fine. Standard actually seems pretty dope right now, modern is the best it's been maybe ever, and we're switching away from multi set limited formats soon which sounds amazing

WotC's PR and management guidance seems to be, uh, hmmm, leaving a bit to be desired

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Personally I'd love for competitive midweek magic to be a thing. Friday night is already heavily booked.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

I mean the article does say that this viewpoint from WotC is the problem.

quote:

From the loss of the popular Magic Player Reward system almost a decade ago to the constant stream of irrelevant FNM promos to the never-ending focus on Standard (however understandable that may be from a business perspective), Engaged Players feel they are constantly being dictated to and taken for granted rather than embraced.

But I still think that the problem of spikes scaring away casuals is bullshit. People that are afraid of getting yelled at by grogs already aren't coming to FNM, and that's a product of what the stereotype of tabletop and TCG players are. They're not coming because they've got a preconceived notion that a bunch of turbo nerds are going to yell at them for not knowing what every card does. You can't make them come without drastically changing the way the public views D&D which actually is already happening, it's a big reason for the board game boom.

If casual players that actually come to FNM to try it don't come back, it's because they decide that their deck of commons and uncommons they've gotten from packs is the most they want to spend on the game. You can't make them spend more money. Why would you want to even target those people? By making every event in the store appeal to casual players that aren't interested in spending money on the game, you haven't suddenly created an environment where people want to pay more money for magic. Instead you've just kicked your invested players that spend tons of money on the game to their specific corner. Some of those big-time spenders will leave. How many casual players does it take to make up for the revenue of a spike that buys a box or two of every new set?

Players that do get their asses kicked but then stick around spend money. They become invested players. It's how I started playing, it's how friends that I've shown the game started playing. I went with a casual budget deck, lost, but saw other people doing cool things and I wanted to make those plays too. So I bought into a better deck.

Separating the community into their own little boxes won't roadmap players from being casual to being invested, it'll just keep everyone in their own box.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

It's always* been bad.

*since like, Masques block

Can confirm. I stopped buying cards when I was 12.

I'm pulling the trigger on a peasant cube pretty soon. Figure that'll tide me and my friends over and I won't bother with keeping up with the meta or anything.
VVVVVVVVVV

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 18, 2017

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
lmao if you don't just play wizard poker for cube** and limited*** these days

** cube is the best format

*** limited is starting to be verybad just FYI

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

also FLGSes are greedy lazy fucks who charged entry to standard showdown and offered no additional prize support.

EDIT: vvv Or if at least they would stop pushing all the best in slot effects to mythic.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You know what would help casual players at FNM? If they power gap between common and mythic were a little closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Gyshall posted:

*** limited is starting to be verybad just FYI

Limited has been pretty good for a while though? Amonkhet wasn't the greatest, but I wouldn't call it *bad*; I had fun drafting it right up until the end. The last draft formats I'd actually call bad would be BFZ block.