Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Speaking of De Palma and Mars, is Mission To Mars any good? I'm planning some kind of video series on films based on theme park rides and it's one of the couple I haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

Speaking of De Palma and Mars, is Mission To Mars any good? I'm planning some kind of video series on films based on theme park rides and it's one of the couple I haven't seen.

It's a really flawed movie, but I really like it. It's got a great Morricone score and some really cool sets and costuming, but I don't think it'll ever be considered a good film. It's fun to watch though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Check coupons and deals. There's a Barnes and nobles gift card $100 for 90 bucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unmature posted:

It's complete dogshit imo but it has a few so-bad-it's-good moments

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat if I'd known it had a Morricone score I'd have watched it years ago. I won't go in expecting anything great but there's only so many Morricone scores out there to experience.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Visually interesting, but a little dry and drags in the middle. Still definitely watchable, but it's the kind of flick you watch with your buds while drinking or smoking.

Perfect then.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Also guys check Amazon. I got the world cinema project 2 for 43 shipped.

Its 57 right now and has 13.88 back for some reason. Shows discount at checkout.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Basebf555 posted:

drat if I'd known it had a Morricone score I'd have watched it years ago. I won't go in expecting anything great but there's only so many Morricone scores out there to experience.
I don't know a single goddamn thing about your viewing habits but I'd be willing to lay money you haven't even heard a quarter of Morricone's scores. And Mission to Mars (2000) isn't even top-tier Morricone. Like if you're going to watch a bad movie just for the Morricone score at least go for a hidden gem of a score like Vergogna Schifosi (1969) or something.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite Morricone score is the mission.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Mission to Mars is probably a fuckton easier to find than most of the bad Morricone movies, to be fair.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
His score for Cannibal Holocaust is really good too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My favorite Morricone score is Fistfull of Dynamite. I think your first Morricone will always be your favorite.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

His score for Cannibal Holocaust is really good too
Riz Ortolani. Unless there's some joke here I'm missing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Diabolik is a great Morricone score, too. (Also, I'd love to see a Criterion of it - the Paramount DVD has been out of print for a decade).

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My name is Nobody also has a great score. It goes from the silly comedy score to the classical spaghetti western score so seamlessly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I don't know a single goddamn thing about your viewing habits but I'd be willing to lay money you haven't even heard a quarter of Morricone's scores. And Mission to Mars (2000) isn't even top-tier Morricone. Like if you're going to watch a bad movie just for the Morricone score at least go for a hidden gem of a score like Vergogna Schifosi (1969) or something.

It's not like I'm running straight out to track down a copy of Mission to Mars, it's just that it was on my "probably will never watch" list, and now it's off that list because I found out Morricone did the score. I've had plenty of opportunities to see Mission to Mars and never really wanted to because it's obviously not a good movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SubG posted:

Riz Ortolani. Unless there's some joke here I'm missing.

The joke is I'm a dummy :downs:; looked it up and you're right. I would have bet money it was Morricone. Regardless it's good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It's not like I'm running straight out to track down a copy of Mission to Mars, it's just that it was on my "probably will never watch" list, and now it's off that list because I found out Morricone did the score. I've had plenty of opportunities to see Mission to Mars and never really wanted to because it's obviously not a good movie.

I haven't seen it since it was on HBO and it was garbage then.

His score isn't even memorable except for an insanely odd cue inside the spacecraft that sounds like spooky organ music.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Just got back from Barnes and Noble. Picked up Stalker, Merry Christmas Mr Laurence, and The Uninvited.

Merry Christmas Mr Laurence was interesting because I had seen some video about it and it just looked so ambitious and heartbreaking. The uninvited was a total blind buy. I had never heard of it before but I usually like haunted house movies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Merry Christmas Mr Laurence was interesting because I had seen some video about it and it just looked so ambitious and heartbreaking. The uninvited was a total blind buy. I had never heard of it before but I usually like haunted house movies.

That episode of Brows On High, right? I might get that if I see it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The_Rob posted:

My favorite Morricone score is the mission.

It's a really good one.

Basebf555 posted:

I have 72 albums of Ennio Morricone scores, and some of those are compacts of multiple films.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence on Christmas, expecting a Christmas movie.

It was not a Christmas movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

It's a really good one.

I have 72 albums of Ennio Morricone scores, and some of those are compacts of multiple films.

Now I know what I can listen to on my new Amazon Unlimited subscription.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That episode of Brows On High, right? I might get that if I see it.

Yeah it seemed like such an interesting film I had to get it. Also it's always a plus when David Bowie is involved.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The_Rob posted:

The uninvited was a total blind buy. I had never heard of it before but I usually like haunted house movies.

I'm always mixing up The Uninvited with The Innocents even though I own The Innocents. But the point I'm trying to make is that you should definitely see The Innocents. :spooky:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I picked up Stalker. I couldn't choose between A Night To Remember or Odd Man Out, so I went with Blow-Up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was Stalker not supposed to come with a booklet?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Picked up Stalker for myself, and Stagecoach for my dad.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was Stalker not supposed to come with a booklet?

Mine came with one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Daveski posted:

Mine came with one.

Well I guess I gotta call B&N.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Daveski posted:

Mine came with one.

I can confirm that mine had one, as well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I called mine. The other two copies they had were on hold, but they ordered me a new copy and it'll arrive in a few days. No big deal. It'll probably be an excuse to pick up another movie.

So A Night to Remember or Odd Man Out?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Before Sunrise is really good.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I called mine. The other two copies they had were on hold, but they ordered me a new copy and it'll arrive in a few days. No big deal. It'll probably be an excuse to pick up another movie.

Return Blow-Up and get both.

Blow-Up sucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cacator posted:

Return Blow-Up and get both.

Blow-Up sucks.

You are wrong blow up is awesome and the scene where he is looking at photos is Fucken awesome

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone seen Robinson Crusoe on Mars? I blind bought it and got in the mail yesterday. Just curious for opinions on the movie.

The first hour or so reminded me of Cast Away (2000) except Wilson is played by a monkey rather than a volleyball. I prefer Enemy Mine (1985) overall or the older Planet of the Vampires (1965). Which reminds me I need to find and watch Queen of Blood (1966) somehow.

Some other opinions:

mllaneza posted:

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a pretty good B movie.

Maxwell Lord posted:

For awesome color photography I recommend Robinson Crusoe on Mars. It's from the mid Sixties and straddles the line between the Atomic Age aesthetic and total trippiness.

Egbert Souse posted:

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a weird, but fun sci-fi.

penismightier posted:

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is awesome, lighten up you stodgy whiners. It'll look fantastic on Blu-Ray, the colors are so vivid.

dont even fink about it posted:

Mars: The ultimate mixed bag movie setting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna pick up A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY today and I'm genuinely so pumped just to hold it even

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Starting my way through the Tati set with Jour de fete and wow Tati is just amazing. Why does no one make films like this anymore?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mod sassinator posted:

Starting my way through the Tati set with Jour de fete and wow Tati is just amazing. Why does no one make films like this anymore?

Gonna have nothing but envy when you watch Playtime and Mon Oncle. They're still so fresh and new feeling, but have such obvious roots as high influence for a lot of modern filmmakers that they're really astounding. It's probably my favourite Criterion I've got so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

A Night to Remember is a solid movie. I thought the production looked great and the drama unfolded in a different, more claustrophobic way than it did in James Cameron's Titanic. It took me a while to get into but I liked it.

Unmature posted:

Before Sunrise is really good.

:yeah: