Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

mad.radhu posted:

Howdy folks, keep your eyes up while messing with your helmet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhKPH-BooU

lol did he just keep going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

lol did he just keep going?

Yes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mad.radhu posted:

Howdy folks, keep your eyes up while messing with your helmet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhKPH-BooU

I feel better about mine now!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

mad.radhu posted:

Did they not even stop?

E: missed the new page. Good result for you at least, I suppose.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That's what u get for not lanesplitting

hope the fz is ok

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

That's what u get for not lanesplitting

hope the fz is ok

Sir I lanesplit like a motherfucker, but that's my exit

They recently repainted it to make the rightmost lane into a shoulder, and it's impossible to predict who is going to still use the shoulder as just a lane, and who is going to respect the new paint. The result is three lanes trying to condense into one while the previously depicted sudden-braking happens.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any damage to the bike?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Z3n posted:

Any damage to your nuts?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:lol: They didn't even notice you hit them.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Any damage to the bike?

not that I can tell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lift the front of the bike and see if you can move the forks front to back. There is no way you haven't at least tweaked your headtube bearings.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're hard on the brakes, sometimes a hit like that just lifts the rear a bit more as the bumper flexes inwards. But definitely worth checking none the less.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If the plastic bumper came off unscathed then the bike will be fine I think.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was told chichevache crashed and is being a little attention whore punk by not posting the deets, c/d?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I was told chichevache crashed and is being a little attention whore punk by not posting the deets, c/d?

Confirm

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Jeez even Yammie Noob had a vid out in a week.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

feed the blood lust or shut up. If you're not going to provide the details of your crash for our pleasure there is really no point in crashing at all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spiffness posted:

feed the blood lust or shut up. If you're not going to provide the details of your crash for our pleasure there is really no point in crashing at all.

Posting from the doctors at the moment. I wish I had a helmet camera because I would have shared footage the day it happened.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
It was a one vehicle crash at highway speeds.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Sounds like another insurance scam.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just wanna see the bike. Show us the bike.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wanna see the infected rash :twisted:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
On Thursday, July 13th, 2017, at approximately 1800 hours, while Southbound on US Highway 101, I was involved in a solo crash. Sorta.

For those of you who ride 101 to the South Bay, you know the traffic is pretty predictable. I lanesplit through 5 or 10 mile long sections of stopped traffic at a time, with brief stretches of empty slab that I can actually enjoy. I had just cleared the thicket of traffic that stretches from the 880 Interchange to the exit on 13th Street/Oakland Road. I was able to filter passed all the dense traffic and get to an open stretch of road that had to be almost a mile in length. I know the safest place for a bike is away from other vehicles, and the nearest car is so far from me that I can't even see it, so I move out of the HOV lane to the adjacent lane, second from the left. Since there is no traffic ahead I relax and start cruising at ~70/75; my brain is pretty much on autopilot.

The following events happened quickly enough that I am not entirely sure of exactly what order and how fast they took place. A few seconds after I change lanes a black sedan passes me on the left. They had to be doing at least ten miles an hour faster than I was. As soon as they were a car length ahead of me they swerved into my lane without using a blinker and stomped on their brakes. No warning, no hesitation. Unfortunately this is where my memory gets spotty. I remember being shocked that they were slowing, considering the road was clear for as far as the eye could see. The car braked so suddenly and so hard, that as I recall it, their front end dipped noticeably. I grabbed as much brake as I could and remember being convinced that I would end up in their backseat. The next thing I recall is being on the ground and trying to stand before realizing I am sliding across the asphalt at speed. I look up and I can see the car's brake lights wink off as they pulled away.

When I finally slid to a halt I took a second to make sure traffic had stopped behind me. When I saw the pickup behind me had stopped traffic I took a second to make sure nothing was broken before standing up. I could feel the rash on my right forearm and right knee immediately, but otherwise I was intact. My bike had slid at least 100 feet farther than I had. I took the longest, and most embarrassed, walk of my life to go check on my baby. Bits of black fabric from my gear were blowing down the highway with me, which was pretty cool, I guess. The bike was on its right side, so I put the kickstand down before picking it up and resting it there in the middle of the road. The driver behind me caught up at that point and checked to see if I was ok. He said he didn't have any info on the vehicle, but he thought they had clipped me when I went down, so I guess he was pretty far away from us when it happened. Fortunately the bike started right back up and I was able to get to the side of the highway. No one else bothered stopping and I didn't have any information, so I gave myself a quick once over and finished my ride home. I really just wanted to get in the shower and start scrubbing out my rash.

I don't know how much speed I bled off before hitting the ground. I was doing 75 mph or so, and I doubt I got below 50 when I landed. Overall I feel I came out of this pretty well.

Takeaways:
1. Obviously I need to work on my panic braking. Normally in a moment similar to that I would swerve. Every other time I have had to panic brake I have been able to stop with plenty of room to spare. Unfortunately that didn't happen this time. I am pretty sure that I grabbed too much brake and lost the front end, but I guess it is possible I did make contact with the sedan's bumper. :shrug: Either way, I either didn't stop fast enough, or I lost control. That's definitely on me.

2. I thought I was in a safe spot, so I relaxed and took it easy. Letting my guard down definitely didn't help me avoid this situation.

3. I need a loving camera. From what I remember, I feel like the sedan driver did it on purpose. I remember them blowing by me and swerving into my lane. I don't recall any obstacles or traffic that would justify their maneuvers. I also know how ridiculous my story sounds, like every poor rider that blames cold tires. A helmet cam could help me make sense of what had happened, and hopefully be used as evidence against the driver who did that (evidence of what, I have no idea. Proving intent would be almost impossible. I haven't reported the crash yet, because I didn't feel like standing on the side of the road for an hour to report a single vehicle accident. The CHP office should be open tomorrow, so I can swing by then to finally file a report with them.). The incident was over so fast I couldn't even tell you for sure what make or model the car was. I am pretty sure it was a black sedan, but with the way memory works in crisis, even that could be wrong. I am kicking myself for not getting the camera I knew I should have purchased years ago. :bang:

The Bike:
Rash on the can and the frame sliders. The headlight fairing is rashed and cracked. It also ground down some of the engine cover. I don't think it received any damage to the frame, so overall I feel pretty lucky. I rode home just fine, and I don't think I need to make any major replacements to the bike. However I would gladly have taken an extra square foot of rash to spare the bike all this damage.

Gear Report:

Icon Airmada Helmet: As far as I can tell there wasn't a scratch on it. I don't remember hitting my head either. I also don't remember a couple of seconds of the crash, so I will assume I hit my head at some point, just to be safe. The way I see it helmets are like condoms, use them once then throw them out.

Rev'it Cayenne Gloves: They did their job. There are some marks on the knuckles and some torn stitches, but I can reuse them until I find my newest pair.

Alpinestars New Land Gore-Tex Jacket: Well poo poo. I love this jacket, and replacing it will not be fun. Most of my rash is on my right forearm. I can't fully blame the jacket though, since I didn't secure the zippers all the way. It was pretty hot, but now I have road rash. :derp:

Brand New Dainese Drake Super Airs: :qq: I just bought these a month ago, and they ruled. They did their job pretty drat well, and if I hadn't been wearing them I would have lost my dick. :nms:

Alpinestars SMX Plus Gore-Tex Boots Awesome. Nothing got through and I think this is the one piece of gear that won't require replacing. A+, my feet don't hurt at all.

Pics coming in the next post.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
With panic reflexes like that police work is right up your alley. Next time you ham fist the front brake at 75mph wait until the world stops before getting up.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

From what I remember, I feel like the sedan driver did it on purpose. I remember them blowing by me and swerving into my lane. I don't recall any obstacles or traffic that would justify their maneuvers. I also know how ridiculous my story sounds,

Nah, I think we can all understand the urge to swerve into you at high speed with a sedan.

glad you weren't hurt. Sorry about the bike though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People throw out condoms after only one use?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Haven't you crashed a bunch? Perhaps riding isn't for you?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah my next purchase is going to be a camera.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I lost loving tattoo ink in the bandages! :negative:

M42 posted:

I wanna see the infected rash :twisted:

Your wish is my command. The discoloration just appeared this morning, on the fifth day. Combined with the yellow discharge I was concerned it was the start of an infection. According to my doctor it is just because I killed some capillaries and the blood is pooling in the elbow, so no big deal. The major downside is that it will wreck all that awesome vascularity I was working on at the gym. Now my pump won't be as pumped.:smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

n8r posted:

Haven't you crashed a bunch? Perhaps riding isn't for you?

This is my first at speed accident in three years of riding.

EX250 Type R posted:

With panic reflexes like that police work is right up your alley. Next time you ham fist the front brake at 75mph wait until the world stops before getting up.

Police work is definitely right up my alley. I was scared for my life and the first thing I did was hit the black.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ow ow ow also

Chichevache posted:

Police work is definitely right up my alley. I was scared for my life and the first thing I did was hit the black.

:laffo:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If you always ride with a camera then nothing ever happens it's your best defense.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Chichevache posted:

I gave myself a quick once over and finished my ride home. I really just wanted to get in the shower and start scrubbing out my rash.

Didn't want to mortgage the house for an ambulance after wiping out at highway speed, hey? Lol America.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

prukinski posted:

Didn't want to mortgage the house for an ambulance after wiping out at highway speed, hey? Lol America.

You're not recommending that I... leave my bike on the side of a highway? :monocle:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey fwiw I crashed my Rex at ~60kmh and it looked about the same as that so you probably did lose some speed before going down.

Get a camera.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Glad you and your dick are relatively unscathed. I can't imagine how that rash would look if you were wearing shorts and a t shirt.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

ABS on bikes is the poo poo. Sorry for your experience.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spiffness posted:

ABS on bikes is the poo poo. Sorry for your experience.

Yeah, I think I've finally been converted.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I think I've finally been converted.

Looks like your gear held up about as well as can be expected. The mesh wearing through on the pants sucks, but it's mesh, what are you gonna do?

When I'd just started riding I saw a stop sign late and grabbed a handful of front and rear brake and locked up the tires and slid through the intersection. About halfway through I just got back on the gas and sped away, but if any cross traffic had been coming I'd have gotten creamed. That was he point at which I decided that my next bike would have ABS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Good to hear you're all right Chiche!

• Locked thread