Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is the Essential the first phone of this company? Yes? Then wait for their second phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rexxed posted:

Is the Essential the first phone of this company? Yes? Then wait for their second phone.

Dang you're probably right
When's the Pixel refresher coming up anyway? September?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Calaveron posted:

Dang you're probably right
When's the Pixel refresher coming up anyway? September?

Pixels were announced on October 4, 2016 and shipped later that month.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wacky Delly posted:

Pixels were announced on October 4, 2016 and a few shipped later that month.

fixed

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm here the vent about garbage USB-C chargers. When I first got my Nexus 6P the charger it came with stopped working the day after and I had to replace it. Now the car charger I purchased from the Google store a few weeks ago has ceased charging my phone too.

You have one job chargers! :argh:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Apparently dialing 911 causes the OnePlus5 to reboot. I'd think of something else to say about it but that short sentence really says it all.

E: following the link from Google Now it seems to be just one guy on Reddit from what I can see, maybe it's just one freak occurrence.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 18, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Desk Lamp posted:

Apparently dialing 911 causes the OnePlus5 to reboot. I'd think of something else to say about it but that short sentence really says it all.

E: following the link from Google Now it seems to be just one guy on Reddit from what I can see, maybe it's just one freak occurrence.

I changed my mind, I think One plus is a beneficial force for society

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

¡ʇuǝןןǝɔxǝ

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Desk Lamp posted:

Nope. Seems like others are mostly having the same issue.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I dialed 911 and my local emergency services number and neither caused a reboot to occur. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.
]

Thread title

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

No, by that I meant buy a new phone every year, rather than every 4, as I've been doing with the expensive iphone/Galaxy Sx flagships in the past.

Well to be fair that's only really been a choice once the Moto G got good enough to be good enough but yeah, that's the sensible choice for most users. A pretty good phone for ~$250 every year (or even two if it stretches that far) is a much better option than a $750-850 phone that, let's face it, will really be limping along at the three year point.

And I'm saying this as someone who bought Pixels.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

:vince:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mogomra posted:

I remember when the HTC keyboard was the keyboard to have, and everyone sideloaded it because all other keyboards were garbage.*

The third-party keyboard they introduced with the 10 was so off-putting even before it started serving ads that I sideloaded the old keyboard day 1. :rolleyes:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

👎🙃

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

:perfect:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

For emergencies dial one plus one plus six

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

For emergencies dial one plus one plus six

So it'll work on the next phone, but not the 5.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone know how to prevent certain apps from appearing in my "share" menu. I enjoy a lot of my messaging apps and what not, but I never ever am going to share things to them, so I don't want them appearing in the list when I tap "share". I'd rather not uninstall them, but I do want a cleaner simpler share menu.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You used to be able to install replacements for the share menu that give you a bunch of options the default Android one doesn't. I never used them and am frankly unsure if they still work, but try searching for them. I wanna say Lifehacker had a rundown a long time ago.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
What an age we live in. Where screens are installed upside down, ads on your keyboard and dialing 911 causes your phone to reboot. What's next? I'm calling dibs on camera lenses shattering and the next coming of phones exploding.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the state of Android these days really feels like a poo poo show tbh

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ulvir posted:

the state of Android these days really feels like a poo poo show tbh

Smartphones in general. iOS is stale yet top of the line hardware. Android seems to be a race to the bottom now, with high end phones being okay but missing features. You're almost always compromising buying any Android phone.

Please come back, WebOS.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

False Toaster posted:

What an age we live in. Where screens are installed upside down, ads on your keyboard and dialing 911 causes your phone to reboot. What's next? I'm calling dibs on camera lenses shattering and the next coming of phones exploding.

We've already had the exploding phones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm going to go for a G5 or G5 Plus. In general I prefer smaller and cheaper. The price diff between the two isn't that big though, perhaps in % but not in absolutes. Is the camera and performance diff worth it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

Smartphones in general. iOS is stale yet top of the line hardware. Android seems to be a race to the bottom now, with high end phones being okay but missing features. You're almost always compromising buying any Android phone.

Please come back, WebOS.

I'm totally fine with a stale phone OS, provided it works as well as ios/pixel-flavored android does. I just want the dang thing to work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm totally fine with a stale phone OS, provided it works as well as ios/pixel-flavored android does. I just want the dang thing to work.

No you don't. Extensive consumer research shows that Android customers like phones that have any or all of the following: explosions, jelly scrolling, keyboard ads, emergency service call crashes, grip tape, squeeze sensors, and boot loops.

Bonus points for crapware that can't be uninstalled, and for preinstalled apps that do the exact same things as the default Google apps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

No you don't. Extensive consumer research shows that Android customers like phones that have any or all of the following: explosions, jelly scrolling, keyboard ads, emergency service call crashes, grip tape, squeeze sensors, and boot loops.

Oh, now you've gone and set him off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ola posted:

I'm going to go for a G5 or G5 Plus. In general I prefer smaller and cheaper. The price diff between the two isn't that big though, perhaps in % but not in absolutes. Is the camera and performance diff worth it?

What's the price difference where you are? G5 Plus has headphone jack at the bottom, which is inarguably better, CPU is a year newer, more internal storage and RAM probably, better battery.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 18, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The iPhone hardware is fine - the only real complaint I have is the screen is an LCD so looks bad with dark content in a dark environment.

iOS on the other hand is really hard to get used to after Android because notifications are such a mess.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

The iPhone hardware is fine - the only real complaint I have is the screen is an LCD so looks bad with dark content in a dark environment.

iOS on the other hand is really hard to get used to after Android because notifications are such a mess.

Yeah, I got an SE to muck around with and it's crazy fast still and for the most part totally interchangeable with Android in terms of functionality and switching between the two is fine (use Google services for most everything). I just really don't like badges/iOS notification shade rather than good proper persistent Android notifications, and also using a physical home button feels way weirder than I thought it would after having on screen (or even capacitive) ones for so long. Otherwise, no complaints. A Pixel or an iPhone is great, they'll keep taking ideas from each other to improve, and webOS and Windows Phone and all the other garbage can stay dead.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

What's the price difference where you are? G5 Plus has headphone jack at the bottom, which is inarguably better, CPU is a year newer, more internal storage and RAM probably, better battery.

$100 diff, ~245 vs ~345 USD.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Laugh all you want but Windows phone was the only good mobile OS I've ever used except for the lack of apps which I was fine with til snapchat disallowed third party apps (never was an official one available). But it was infinitely smoother and more stable than Android and iOS and I really liked how it was lightyears ahead of them in hands free control. I could easily read texts out loud in the car and dictate responses with no physical input at all which I still can't do with Android, and that's just bonkers. Partly the fault of my Honda too which leaves a lot to be desired in that regard. They have a big hard on for Apple but I have gently caress all functionality with anything else and the drat car is a '15.

Sony doesn't get any regard either but the Z3 compact I had was one of, if not the smoothest experience I've had on Android. But at this point I'm only still with Android because the only other option is far worse. Be nice if Google could hire someone who could create a menu interface that isn't hot garbage visually, or just give us drat control at least over the colors. Yes yes launchers launchers but you shouldn't need them, nor to do stuff like change the grid layout of your home screen.

I'm a power user and all my computers are reflective of that but there's no power user option for phones. Go buy whatever flagship you want and it will still stutter more often than it should but that's the price you pay for being able to actually do things unlike on iOS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Google apparently put a lot of their top developers on the Fuschia project which is supposed to replace Android someday

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ola posted:

$100 diff, ~245 vs ~345 USD.

And is that like top end G5 vs low end G5 Plus or what? If it's like a 1ish year phone til you'll buy a new one and the storage and RAM is fine for you right now, might as well go cheaper. If you'll have it for like 1+ years, and especially if that G5 Plus price is for 4/64, it should be pleasant to use for an extra year or two over a G5 with less RAM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

And is that like top end G5 vs low end G5 Plus or what? If it's like a 1ish year phone til you'll buy a new one and the storage and RAM is fine for you right now, might as well go cheaper. If you'll have it for like 1+ years, and especially if that G5 Plus price is for 4/64, it should be pleasant to use for an extra year or two over a G5 with less RAM.

I'd have a hard time believing a phone with 2GB of RAM is usable for anyone but the lightest of phone users.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'd have a hard time believing a phone with 2GB of RAM is usable for anyone but the lightest of phone users.

I am the lightest of phone users and basically use spotify, maps, awful, chrome, default phone/text. It is usually good enough for this but if I'm using maps and on a heavy site it will start being janky with a 2gb moto g4, so :agreed:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I think the highest model G5 has 3, but could be wrong. If the plan is to just use it maaaybe til Pixel 3 is announced or heavily rumored, I think 3 should be fine, 2 might be tough but also should be fine if you're just doing phone, text, email, browser, awful, etc. For me personally, that's like 90%+ of my time using it.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

cage-free egghead posted:

Please come back, WebOS.