Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Someone mentioned hoarder I Spy... there was a thread a year or two ago that got put on the front page.
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/i-spy-hoarders/

I would like to see another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I live in a city with one of the largest collection of victorian era homes. The "Pink Palace" is the crown and an ex brothel and it's now for sale. The interior is lovely and has been kept in amazing shape. I hate the kitchen cabinets though! It's a 6bd 4ba for an easy $735,000

I got to go to a party in there during the St. James Art Fair and it was amazing. My friend lives at the other end of the court in the old Governor's Mansion. All of those houses are ridiculously awesome.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
See, that's dope as hell but still needs a poo poo ton of work before it'd be something I'd live in. I hate old kitchens and bathrooms. Basically I love the bones, hate like 75% of the finishes.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
So if granite/stone countertops are a fad and awful, what's the SA Thread Approved(tm) kitchen counter material?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

YamiNoSenshi posted:

So if granite/stone countertops are a fad and awful, what's the SA Thread Approved(tm) kitchen counter material?

Pallets.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

YamiNoSenshi posted:

The hopes and dreams of millenials.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Resin-impregnated compressed cheetos dust.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The hopes and dreams of millenials.

I tried, but they only come pre-crushed.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Vintage shag carpet

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

YamiNoSenshi posted:

The best counter top I ever had was stainless steel. It was the best of all worlds. Looked great, cleaned well, took any and all abuse I tossed at it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

YamiNoSenshi posted:

I don't think stone is going out of style anytime soon. There are so many variations of granite and marble that no two counters will ever be the same. Combine the aesthetics with being easy to clean and next to impossible to crack, scratch, and stain--they are a tough counter surface to beat. If you are interested in a stone counter tops, figure out how much you need and take a trip to a Lowes/Home Depot and get a few quotes. Then go looking for a local granite/marble guy and see what he has to offer. Our local guys typically beat the big box stores by 30% to 50%.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ouhei posted:

See, that's dope as hell but still needs a poo poo ton of work before it'd be something I'd live in. I hate old kitchens and bathrooms. Basically I love the bones, hate like 75% of the finishes.

Well, that house is only $249,000. Partly because it's in bumfuck nowhere Illinois, but also because it's mostly original. The more expensive MCM houses have updated finishes, though often they put in really generic kitchens/baths that don't go with the rest of the house.
Example:
Oh look a nice little mid-century houwait, what's that in the corner?

Oooooh noooooo

At least pick the right shade of wood ffs

There's also a big difference between architect-designed showpiece houses and your average mid-century ranch. The bathrooms in this house are awesome.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This feels like a render from a late 90s first-person adventure game

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
It can't be a good idea to build sex chairs into your sauna.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Zillow helpfully informed me they have an interior design section.

Twee chalkboard messages. You shouldn't have.

:sparkles: Pantry :sparkles:

"OK, put the oven here." "But it's right next to the doorway. It's cut off from the rest of the kitchen." "Fine, add a counter stub to it then."

It doesn't have to look nice as long as you're aggressively trying to be rustic and retro, right?

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Haifisch posted:

Zillow helpfully informed me they have an interior design section.

Twee chalkboard messages. You shouldn't have.

gently caress this especially. gently caress this extra much. not only does it look dumb as hell, every time someone asks where the microwave is and you go "oh its in the cabinet that says microwave with a drawing of a microwave on it" its gonna sound like you're being cute with them.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SoundMonkey posted:

gently caress this especially. gently caress this extra much. not only does it look dumb as hell, every time someone asks where the microwave is and you go "oh its in the cabinet that says microwave with a drawing of a microwave on it" its gonna sound like you're being cute with them.

I really don't get hiding your microwave with a door with a shittier looking microwave drawn on it.

e: also have fun pouring soup on your head using that stupidly high microwave

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why does the pantry door have a keypad lock on it?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

I kind of like the utility of this. Assuming your house doesn't have 5 other bathrooms, having an extra pooper in with the laundry machines seems like a good use of limited space. Less danger of a load being forgotten in the washer for 3 days.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

I kind of like the utility of this. Assuming your house doesn't have 5 other bathrooms, having an extra pooper in with the laundry machines seems like a good use of limited space. Less danger of a load being forgotten in the washer for 3 days.

My town house has literally nowhere else to put the washer and dryer besides the basement bathroom. Besides, like, a bedroom. Or the deck.

Best part is when the dryer alarm goes off while you're pooping. :derp:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Youth Decay posted:

Oooooh noooooo

This annoys me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haifisch posted:

It doesn't have to look nice as long as you're aggressively trying to be rustic and retro, right?

Nothing like open space underneath something you'll never be able to move to clean.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Subjunctive posted:

I think you already know the answer, don't you fatty?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Because writing "not a murder dungeon" on the door would have been a giveaway

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Freaquency posted:

I really don't get hiding your microwave with a door with a shittier looking microwave drawn on it.

e: also have fun pouring soup on your head using that stupidly high microwave

also now instead of only having your microwave door open when putting things in or taking them out, you have to have the cabinet door open the entire time so poo poo doesn't overheat

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Subjunctive posted:

My brother's dog knows how to open doors, standard knobs not paddle knobs, and opened the pantry door then somehow it closed behind her. She spent the day eating all the food. She would probably figure out the combination but I guess it is to keep small kids and smart dogs out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Sweetie, I just figured out what I want to do with the kitchen remodel. You remember the beginning of 2001?"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Blonde cabinets are the worst color of brown cabinetry to me.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Goons seem to enjoy soapstone and stainless steel. Personally I like pretty much anything as long as it isn't too 'busy' like most granite (or granite look) counters. I'm really into wood or wood-look.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Subjunctive posted:

My guess would be a VBRO/vacation rental property. Sex dungeon and keep the dog out are my two favorites though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

"Sweetie, I just figured out what I want to do with the kitchen remodel. You remember the beginning of 2001?"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Antivehicular posted:

I've seriously considered building a 2001 monolith in my back yard to gently caress with my HOA.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've seriously considered building a 2001 monolith in my back yard to gently caress with my HOA.

"there isn't actually a policy about monoliths, you know"

"we thought it was sort of implied"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

Is this not a common thing in other parts of the country/world?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is also that old chestnut where American's get freaked out by the British having our washing machines in the kitchen. Lesser known is the fact that garbage disposal units are not a thing here, and we call all vacuum cleaners "hoovers", unless we have a dyson because everyone must know we have a dyson and not a lesser, inferior, brand.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

There is also that old chestnut where American's get freaked out by the British having our washing machines in the kitchen. Lesser known is the fact that garbage disposal units are not a thing here, and we call all vacuum cleaners "hoovers", unless we have a dyson because everyone must know we have a dyson and not a lesser, inferior, brand.

That or a Henry.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The washer in the kitchen surprised me but makes perfect sense for plumbing and hot water. My friend's houses also had those on-demand water heaters on the wall in the shower like I'd only seen in SE Asia. Is that standard in England or just older buildings?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Indolent Bastard posted:

The best counter top I ever had was stainless steel. It was the best of all worlds. Looked great, cleaned well, took any and all abuse I tossed at it.

This is the answer. It's either stainless steel or butcher block, nothing else is worthwhile.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

No seams at the wash basin either if you use stainless sinks, everything is welded in. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

peanut posted:

The washer in the kitchen surprised me but makes perfect sense for plumbing and hot water. My friend's houses also had those on-demand water heaters on the wall in the shower like I'd only seen in SE Asia. Is that standard in England or just older buildings?

Depends honestly. If you've a large family a tank of hot water won't last long so an on demand electric or constant supply combi-boiler are the way to go. Tiny combi boiler and underpowered electric shower are the way cheap new houses go.

A friend of mine bought a house and found his electric shower was only a 5kw job so couldn't supply water hot enough or fast enough to get a decent shower, when he tried to replace it he found the wiring was undersized for any replacement so he wanted to switch to hot water from his boiler, only to find that would be over 100% capacity for a reasonable flow at lukewarm temperatures.

I think upgrading his breaker box, wiring and electric shower cost slightly less than the bigger boiler so he went with that.