Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I hope that harassment email was sent from a laptop with gold fringe; that would make it an admiralty laptop and not subject to your laws, thus making it impossible to search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:vince:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

I hope that harassment email was sent from a laptop with gold fringe; that would make it an admiralty laptop and not subject to your laws, thus making it impossible to search.

:sureboat:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

:doink:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oh goodie, phones. We've been using Cisco IP phones here for 8+ years (IE, since I got hired back on) with no serious issues that I know of. Multiple buildings spread across the city, no problem really, phone number would follow you if you moved. :eng101:

Until *someone* decided that all the 4-digit phone numbers *really really* needed an additional 2-digit prefix attached, to designate what location/program that person/department was located at! ("*Someone*" being some clueless C-level, I'm sure.)

So now, everyone has a number that changes every time they change locations. ::eng99: Did I mention this is included on everyone's business cards, appointment cards, various pre-populated paperwork and of course passed on to the mentally-ill clientele?

:smithicide:

I didn't see anyone comment on this so I just want to say that is beyond stupid.

There are real ways to differentiate by groups but this might be the worst implementation I can imagine.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Volmarias posted:

But what if said gold-fringed laptop was on a navy ship at the time?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zil posted:

International waters.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zil posted:

Has your employee entered into joinder with the Navy?

Didn't think so :smugdog:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Drop the laptop in the spec bucket.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I love global IT notices that are the email equivalent of a subtweet. Always makes me imagine what exactly some poor dumb user did to trigger a particular "friendly reminder"

quote:

Your primary number line is the only number that caller ID will identify as being in your immediate local area. Please be aware that if you need to dial 911 for an emergency, you must use your primary local line. If at any time, and on any line, you accidentally call 911 please do not hang up. Inform the 911 center operator that you dialed 911 by mistake.

Global IT is currently working on an approved solution for this issue.

Thank you.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dialed 9 to get an outside line dialed 1 for the county code hit 1 again, realized it was ringing and when 911 called back and th secretary denied anything being wrong showed up and fined the poo poo out of the company when everything was fine.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Only if spec bucket is also gold trimmed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

pixaal posted:

Dialed 9 to get an outside line dialed 1 for the county code hit 1 again, realized it was ringing and when 911 called back and th secretary denied anything being wrong showed up and fined the poo poo out of the company when everything was fine.

This is why you don't hang up if you accidently dial 911.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Dialing 911 and immediately hanging up is "the murderer found them" or "the boyfriend is home" levels of 'deploy the police immediately'.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
On the phone systems we deploy we have it set up so calling 611 dials our support line, but they're all set so you dial 9 for an outside line, so I always worry people are gonna gently caress up dialling 9611 to call us and get the police instead.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SEKCobra posted:

Anyway, I'll shut up about this since apparently privacy/security isn't a concern for you guys.
:rolleyes:
It is, which is why people aren't allowed to do whatever the gently caress they want on a work computer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why we set it up for 8 is an outside line. Using 9 is just asking for trouble.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I'm a fan of using 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a reason to have a prefix for an outside line any more, other than 'people are used to dialling that way'? Seems like it causes confusion for no benefit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a reason to have a prefix for an outside line any more, other than 'people are used to dialling that way'? Seems like it causes confusion for no benefit.

I would think it's so that you can have (say) 4-digit extensions recognized as internal and dialed. I just woke up so maybe I'm missing something obvious about VoIP dial strings, but I don't think so since the 9 is a signifier you can use to base a dial string on for outside calls.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Dialing 911 and immediately hanging up is "the murderer found them" or "the boyfriend is home" levels of 'deploy the police immediately'.

When I was a 911 dispatcher we'd call the number back and if someone answered we'd ask them about why they called and hung up. If they were convincing we let it go. If they denied calling or sounded freaked out or whatever we sent an officer. Generally not a Code 3 call depending on their response.

If no one answered we also sent an officer but it wasn't code 3. It would be considered a "suspicious circumstance." At the time lots of people had cordless phones and they sometimes dialed 911 when their batteries were low. No idea who thought that was a good design.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Because how would the system know you're dialing Jeff at 5434 and not doing 543-423-1345?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Because how would the system know you're dialing Jeff at 5434 and not doing 543-423-1345?

An IP phone system needs to know the full dial string in advance, unlike analog systems which receive one digit at a time and determines routing as it receives the digits.
The digital system has the full dial string right away and can look at its length and form.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Entropic posted:

On the phone systems we deploy we have it set up so calling 611 dials our support line, but they're all set so you dial 9 for an outside line, so I always worry people are gonna gently caress up dialling 9611 to call us and get the police instead.

That would just dial out to 611 (strip the 9). If there is a 611 in your area it would reach it, otherwise it would just give a reorder tone or whatever your system is configured to do.

guppy posted:

I would think it's so that you can have (say) 4-digit extensions recognized as internal and dialed. I just woke up so maybe I'm missing something obvious about VoIP dial strings, but I don't think so since the 9 is a signifier you can use to base a dial string on for outside calls.

The current push is to make 7-digit internal dialing the standard to get rid of escape codes. You can manipulate the digits for anything long distance or international anyway, so using your area code + internal 4 digit DN makes a lot of sense.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

nielsm posted:

An IP phone system needs to know the full dial string in advance, unlike analog systems which receive one digit at a time and determines routing as it receives the digits.
The digital system has the full dial string right away and can look at its length and form.

Then you're playing a game of chicken with the dial timeout. If somebody types too slowly or pauses, it might send the first four digits without waiting for the rest. Otherwise if the timeout is long people will be impatient when dialing 4 digit extensions.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Then you're playing a game of chicken with the dial timeout. If somebody types too slowly or pauses, it might send the first four digits without waiting for the rest. Otherwise if the timeout is long people will be impatient when dialing 4 digit extensions.

If you use 7 digit dial it won't place a call until the full string is dialed. There will be no long timeout as long as you match a pattern, and you can just put ! at the end of a route pattern to connect as soon as the last digit is pressed.

If you use the leading 9 or whatever then it still won't immediately send digits if you pause because you aren't using directory numbers that begin with 9 so the system knows to wait. If you use DNs that begin with 9 please shoot your voip person. "Hey Betty is at extension 914 oops I pressed 911 again." That's why you don't do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dial number, lift handset. No timeout issues.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't call anyone, Surf web instead. Issue resolved!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

"B-b-but this is the way I've dialed for the last six hundred years I've been at the front desk! How am I going to learn something new at my age?? Can't it just go back to how it was?!?"

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dick Trauma posted:

If I have authority over the spec bucket, does that make me Spec Ops?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Trastion posted:

Don't call anyone, Surf web instead. Issue resolved!

:agreed:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Malek posted:

If I have authority over the spec bucket, does that make me Spec Ops?

If it was an accident it makes you Spec Oops.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LordVorbis posted:

I'm a fan of using 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3 instead.

That's easy to remember, but it could use a catchy jingle.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

I scrapped our Shoretel phones which used 9 and built our new phone system with FreePBX and Polycom phones. Set up the dial plan so we dial 1 and the number or country code and the number, and kept our internal extensions all in the 5000's, we've never had a problem since.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Put gold fringe on the spec bucket, then no laptops can enter joinder with 'em.

e:f,b

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 19, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hey Cisco

I'm looking for a new job

Do you need a new technical writer by any chance?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm sure they would if you don't mind making 30 cents/hr.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure they would if you don't mind making 30 cents/hr.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

It's art OK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I guess they mean a rock or something.

• Locked thread