Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
it really goes to show how deranged and stupid white racists have become from capitalism and social alienation when their hero is a fat idiot computer janitor from England who couldn't graduate college who screams daily mail rants for hours on end on you tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Read around that site a bit.

What's the pointo of it? Its like a significantly shittier version of Wikipedia with way worse sourcing and citations, all too obvious slants in their articles and some really bad and often contradictory info.

rationalwiki owns what kind of noob hasn't been there before. it constantly dunks on shitheads.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
This wiki discussion prompted me to check out the old internet humour stalwarts of old, Uncyclopaedia and Encyclopaedia Dramatica.

I regret doing this. Either my sense of humour used to be terrible, or they've both just been swept up in the internet culture wars by the left and alt-right respectively.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dramatica was always a nest of mean spirited channers if I remember correctly.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That would make sense, given I mostly enjoyed it during the same period of time I was in the military, thought Ayn Rand was an intellectual heavyweight, and believed objectivism/libertarianism to be the one true political philosophy.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JVNO posted:

It's more like being smart at one thing often gives you tools to bootstrap other skills.

If you know how to play the piano, you'll generally be quicker to pick up a trumpet than someone who hasn't played any instrument before. You already have some idea of the music theory underlying the instrument, and just need the mechanical skills and muscle memory. Even the mechanical skills will be easier to acquire, given your dexterity from playing piano.

So in reality, it's less like there's some fixed 'G' underlying human capacity for learning, and more like there's a snowball of 'G' that makes acquiring new knowledge easier and quicker for every piece of knowledge you already know.

To Illustrate this, let's consider that pianist again. Assume they spent their entire life in NYC. Take that musical genius and stick him in the Amazon and see where his intelligence gets him. Probably be dead really quick right? Yet there are uncontacted tribes that have lived in similar conditions for generations. Are they geniuses and the pianist dumb? No, not really... considering I'm doubting the tribesmen would know what a drat piano is much less how to play it. And why is hat?

Because intelligence has a huge component of 'being adapted to your environment', and unsurprisingly, the IQ test is slanted toward scoring higher those persons 'adapted to urbanized/suburbanites western culture'

Yeah, all of this is true stuff. The problem is convincing someone of it, especially once they have heard the siren song of false metrics. I don't doubt that there's intelligence that's something person has, and it is at least somewhat a product of genetics. The latter is obvious because you can have genetic conditions that can screw up your ability to think and learn. The problem is that it's way less innate and immutable than is suggested, and almost certainly cannot be measured as an absolute scalar value.

As you pointed out, it's painfully obvious that IQ is a test of how adapted to modernity and more specifically western suburbanite culture you currently are. That may be a useful metric for something, but determining exactly how intelligent you are it is not. And if you're just measuring how acclimated to poo poo life in the burbs, it's not something that really correlates to any success not based on starting out ahead, while also being something that we can get most people to (and if not them their kids) even if it was absolutely vital.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

rkajdi posted:

I don't doubt that there's intelligence that's something person has, and it is at least somewhat a product of genetics.

The best (albeit simplified) descriptor I've heard during my Psych career is, 'Genetics set the boundary of possibilities- your environment determines where you fall in that boundary'. And that applies to virtually any trait you can think of.

Your critiques of G have been pretty spot on.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Did anyone else notice that Shawn and Jen's latest video on The Great replacement also got flagged off YouTube?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 18, 2017

Juanita Xtreme
Jul 17, 2010
Thom Avella mirrored it along with a few others, luckily. The reason for the video being taken down is "hate speech" :thunk:

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Dramatica was always a nest of mean spirited channers if I remember correctly.

ED had Weev as an administrator before some of the staff split off from ED forming Know Your Meme.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Did anyone else notice that Shawn and Jen's latest video on The Great replacement also got flagged off YouTube?

It definitely got comment bombed by angry racists so I'm not surprised they mass flagged it either. So much for free speechhh

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Juanita Xtreme posted:

Thom Avella mirrored it along with a few others, luckily. The reason for the video being taken down is "hate speech" :thunk:

lol why are you guys surprised it's been exposed at places like facebook that they favour and protect white nationalists so it's normal that people fighting that garbage would be targeted more than the basement nazis

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JVNO posted:

The best (albeit simplified) descriptor I've heard during my Psych career is, 'Genetics set the boundary of possibilities- your environment determines where you fall in that boundary'. And that applies to virtually any trait you can think of.

Yeah, I'd almost think that environment would matter more, because that also includes things people don't normally think of as environmental. Even just people being around you is going to help to wire your brain differently, since the thing has a feedback mechanism to it.

I could see Western Africa having a lower IQ, though I'd take it more as an indictment of how continual stress and poor childhood nutrition really can negatively impact your brain function than anything resembling the racial bullshit that people have put out there. I think at least part of the Flynn effect is attributed to continual improvement of diet in the Western world throughout the 20th century. Also, poor conditions are something that can fixed, instead of just throwing your hands up and acting like the problem will never be able to be fixed.

quote:

Your critiques of G have been pretty spot on.

Thanks. I just worry I'm not very convincing, since my buddy is still having a hard time understanding that something can be both real and unquantifiable/measurable. The example I had of saying Natural Selection obviously exists, but a Selection Index would be silly didn't seem to have much effect. He's hung up on the idea that IQ is incredibly predictive of success. To the point that he's convinced that Donald Trump Jr. is "obviously high IQ". I don't even know how to argue against that, because it's utterly untestable in the current environment. It also doesn't help he buys heavily into this autodidact poo poo, and surprisingly doesn't even have a high school diploma or GED.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

Interestingly, when a recent study in the UK showed that white males from low income families were the worst overall academic performers, the genetic arguments all evaporated into thin air.

That's interesting. Doesn't that line up pretty well with showing the concept of white privilege? I mean, whatever poverty line you're using is an absolute value. So people that wouldn't achieve as well are pushed into the upper income group because it's easier to achieve as a white guy. And the groups aren't anywhere near the same in size, so the removal of the top end of the low income group could have a much more disproportionate negative effect on the lower income group than the high income group. It seems to line up with white boys being the group with the highest difference, followed by white girls.

Other stupid question-- why are Chinese people counted separately from Asians? Or is Asian used in the UK as a phrase for Middle Eastern/Indian?

EDIT: But of course the answer given by the man-o-sphere without a single iota of thought will be "Where's my affirmative action?"

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 18, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Asian in that context means South Asian, although as it's usually a self/family-defining thing (thus Carl's Kekistan poo poo) SE Asians will usually also put themselves in Asian and not Chinese. 'Chinese' as a defined ethnic group makes up less than 1% of the country, so I'm not sure how much you can read into the results there.

Outside of the Chinese group, the performance of non-FSM groups seems fairly consistent across ethnicity, with a consistent gender achievement gap too, although I'm not sure what the latter says.

The main reading of white privilege I can read into the FSM group performance is that historically most of the other groups have had to build up their own support networks, community centers, etc. to a degree that the white majority never has, so when the government pulls the rug out from under everyone, it hits those who didn't have to do that as more of a shock than those who still have those structures. I'm not sure having "white community centers" would be a good thing for anyone though. It'd be interesting to see if there's a difference in FSM while male performance between British and Irish.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
looking forward to this meeting of the minds:

https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/887382337939533825

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

fallenturtle posted:

This is a semantical tangent, but sex, as I understand it, is identified through a combination of chromosomes, reproductive body bits, and hormones. When you have a mismatched combination you are intersex.
That is also my understanding.

What I was getting at in terms of the Right is that they deny any separation between sex and gender, and while doing so they ignore (or deny) the existence of intersex people or people with different numbers of sex chromosomes. So for them, everyone who is XY is a man or boy, and everyone who is XX is a woman or girl. The fact that about 1/1000 of the population is XXX or XYY, 70%-90% of whom never find out they have a different number of chromosomes because they are almost always totally normal phenotypically, is irrelevant; never mind anyone with a sex chromosome disorder that actually manifests itself. So what if someone with CAIS is "physically female" in every way except for their internal gonads, such that the only hint that they might be atypical is that they never menstruate? They are XY so they're men, according to the Right. They are so focused on enforcing a strict binary by tying gender to "biological sex", that they are forced to pretend that biology is not inherently messy.

And so, this loops back to the particular problem that Laci stepped in here. "Biological sex" is a multidimensional spectrum of correlated traits. It's really only relevant to medical professionals and persons with whom one is trying to conceive a child. It's often hard for people to separate sex and gender conceptually. It's regularly used by people to deny the gender identity of trans and NB folks. So gently caress it, say some on the Left. Let's just drop "biological sex" entirely when talking about people. Male means men and boys (cis or trans), and female means women and girls (cis or trans). No more "male identified as a woman," just "a woman." If you're talking about medical issues, then talk about the relevant parts or conditions. Reproductive health. People who are or may become pregnant. People with prostates. Is it a little clunky? Sure, but it stops unintentionally excluding people and helps take away ammo from people who would be intentionally exclusionary.

And so, as mentioned above, when Laci Green goes out of her way to tut-tut non-exclusionary language, after everything else she's done recently, people are going to get het up. And while I don't think she's actually transphobic, she's still saying a lot of stupid poo poo that's hurting and angering people.

quote:

Is there a term for that?
Undergoing hormone therapy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jethro posted:

If you're talking about medical issues, then talk about the relevant parts or conditions. Reproductive health. People who are or may become pregnant. People with prostates. Is it a little clunky? Sure, but it stops unintentionally excluding people and helps take away ammo from people who would be intentionally exclusionary.
One of the terms cooked up by PP was 'menstruators', which while accurate and non-gendered sounds like the most MRA poo poo ever.

Menstruators! :doom:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

JVNO posted:

'Genetics set the boundary of possibilities- your environment determines where you fall in that boundary'.

I think even this view is too simple (although you pointed that out). Epigenetics posits that post-conception environment modifies genes. Starvation of the mother leads to higher probability for schizophrenia in the child, etc. I don't see genes as necessary progenitors of "boundaries".

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, Asian in that context means South Asian, although as it's usually a self/family-defining thing (thus Carl's Kekistan poo poo) SE Asians will usually also put themselves in Asian and not Chinese. 'Chinese' as a defined ethnic group makes up less than 1% of the country, so I'm not sure how much you can read into the results there.

Outside of the Chinese group, the performance of non-FSM groups seems fairly consistent across ethnicity, with a consistent gender achievement gap too, although I'm not sure what the latter says.

If the community is largely first/second generation immigrant, you have your answer. I'd expect to see the difference go away in a generation or two. Reversion to mean is pretty well documented in American immigrant communities, and there's no reason to expect something different out of immigrant communities in other countries.

quote:

The main reading of white privilege I can read into the FSM group performance is that historically most of the other groups have had to build up their own support networks, community centers, etc. to a degree that the white majority never has, so when the government pulls the rug out from under everyone, it hits those who didn't have to do that as more of a shock than those who still have those structures. I'm not sure having "white community centers" would be a good thing for anyone though. It'd be interesting to see if there's a difference in FSM while male performance between British and Irish.

For that to work out, wouldn't that mean that scores would have to dip? Not saying they haven't (I don't know UK stats for things) but you'd have to have a decline for a "rug yanked away" narrative to fit. Also, 1 in 4 passing is goddamn pathetic. Bad US graduation rates in troubled schools with near 100% lunch assistance have better outcomes than that.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think even this view is too simple (although you pointed that out). Epigenetics posits that post-conception environment modifies genes. Starvation of the mother leads to higher probability for schizophrenia in the child, etc. I don't see genes as necessary progenitors of "boundaries".

Yup, though I think technically in utero stuff is considered environmental. Like the posited effect on that male homosexuality is linked to maternal birth order, i.e. your odds of being homosexual increase if you're the second, third, etc child a mother has.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Jethro posted:

Undergoing hormone therapy.
I meant as a sex: male, female, intersex, ________?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

WampaLord posted:

This is why you don't tolerate "jokes" like this. No amount of bullshit "Oh but nothing should be off limits in comedy!" can excuse it.

Carlin did not make Jew killing jokes. Pryor did not make Jew killing jokes. Mel Brooks did not make Jew killing jokes. We don't joke about certain things, even the "shock" comedians generally agree on this, but you get some idiots who go "No, comedy is sacred!" not realizing that words have power.

Are you really saying this? On The Something Awful Forums? With a RLM avatar? Really?
And Louis CK did a funny kill the Jews joke.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
A year or so back, long after I had unsubbed from Thunderf00t, he popped up back onto my feed debating Sargon over the Brexit thing. I was tempted to give it a watch, if only to see how he tried to juggle being an 'unbiased rational' while offering enough red meat to the Sargon fans to poach a few.

In the end, the prospect of having two smug voices dueling to see who could poo poo better inside my ears won out and I never watched it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

Are you really saying this? On The Something Awful Forums? With a RLM avatar? Really?
And Louis CK did a funny kill the Jews joke.

Yes, that's my entire point, actually. Even here we ban people for going over the line, so there are always always always limits and it's a comedian's responsibility to know their limits and if they intentionally push the limits then they don't get to cry when people call them names.

And link the Louis CK bit you're describing, because I'm sure the humor is more subtle than "LOL DEATH TO ALL JEWS!" I'm going to make a guess that he's not portraying it as a positive thing.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 18, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Louis ck is not funny

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

WampaLord posted:

Yes, that's my entire point, actually. Even here we ban people for going over the line.

I see you haven't visited the Photoshop threads often then.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

I see you haven't visited the Photoshop threads often then.

The Photoshop thread isn't on YouTube racking up millions and millions of views by impressionable children.

Scale matters. I don't have the energy to go attack every single racist online, I only care about the big influentials ones.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I don't think my phrasing implies feedback effects don't exist between environment and genetics. But if it did, it wasn't intentionally so. I was just trying to phrase that argument as simply as possible.

I'm the last person to suggest biopsychosocial factors all exist in mutually separable bubbles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

rkajdi posted:

If the community is largely first/second generation immigrant, you have your answer. I'd expect to see the difference go away in a generation or two. Reversion to mean is pretty well documented in American immigrant communities, and there's no reason to expect something different out of immigrant communities in other countries.
It's largely split between people who came over due to the the Hong Kong annexation/return/lease expiry and people who have been living here, especially in port towns, since the original Hong Kong acquisition. I'm not sure what the proportion of the split is though.

quote:

For that to work out, wouldn't that mean that scores would have to dip? Not saying they haven't (I don't know UK stats for things) but you'd have to have a decline for a "rug yanked away" narrative to fit. Also, 1 in 4 passing is goddamn pathetic. Bad US graduation rates in troubled schools with near 100% lunch assistance have better outcomes than that.
There has been a dip, although there have also been changes in free meal qualification, so it's harder to see exactly how that lined up. There absolutely has been an underclass who have been completely hung out to dry over the past 30 years, and it does seem like those communities that had their own support structures due to pre-existing expectations of being shoved to one side have fared better. That's one reason why I would have liked to see how the white British/white Irish have split, as Irish communities formed many of the same support structures to weather British Hibernophobia.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

WampaLord posted:

And link the Louis CK bit you're describing, because I'm sure the humor is more subtle than "LOL DEATH TO ALL JEWS!" I'm going to make a guess that he's not portraying it as a positive thing.

http://www.laughspin.com/louis-c-k-to-jon-stewart-lets-get-back-together-and-kill-the-jews-video/

The video I was talking about was from an open mic, but here he's saying kill the jews on Jon Stewart.
You are wrong to say that there are limits to humour. That's like the first thing you realize when you start writing jokes and being funny. Maybe you should try it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh word

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

http://www.laughspin.com/louis-c-k-to-jon-stewart-lets-get-back-together-and-kill-the-jews-video/

The video I was talking about was from an open mic, but here he's saying kill the jews on Jon Stewart.
You are wrong to say that there are limits to humour. That's like the first thing you realize when you start writing jokes and being funny. Maybe you should try it.

The humor here is clearly "That's obviously a lovely thing to say" and he's not actually advocating for death of the jews, this should be loving obvious to anyone.

I've done stand up comedy and know many comedians personally, can you claim the same?

Edit: "There no limits to humor" isn't a justification for being sad that people are calling you a bigot if you make offensive jokes.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 18, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of the rationals, louis ck did have a great joke that was the margaret atwood quote but as a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRzs7v0do_Q

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
PewDiePie had the same point. Nobody is actually saying you should kill Jews or that 9/11 was hilarious...
And yes, I can.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

PewDiePie had the same point. Nobody is actually saying you should kill Jews or that 9/11 was hilarious...
And yes, I can.

No, PewDiePie's "point" was "lol look at me punk these fiverr guys but also isn't saying LOL kill all jews fun, y'all?"

Again, all I'm arguing here is that I have the right to call him a racist shitlord because he's being a racist shitlord. Louis CK is not a racist shitlord. I know these things because I have a brain.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

WampaLord posted:

The Photoshop thread isn't on YouTube racking up millions and millions of views by impressionable children.

Scale matters. I don't have the energy to go attack every single racist online, I only care about the big influentials ones.

You stated SA would ban people for going over the line with jokes despite the many threads (for example the Photoshop threads) pretty much doing that without punishment. The case isn't so much that the joke is offensive (There have been offensive jokes in the past be unpunished because it's actually funny) but rather if it's just poo poo laughable joke that really dosen't offer anything to the discussion and only makes the user posting it an idiot. To assume that everyone who makes funny photoshops that might be offensive as the likes of racists is a short-sighted.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Jews are not a race btw. So you'd be incorrect even if he did mean it when he said kill the jews. Which he didn't.
Why are you so quick to throw around hurtful insults like racist? It devalues the word. When there's a real case of racism, you don't want everyone to equate it with what PewDiePie joked around once in his YouTube video. Racism is a serious issue, bro.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Monglo posted:

Jews are not a race btw. So you'd be incorrect even if he did mean it when he said kill the jews. Which he didn't.
Why are you so quick to throw around hurtful insults like racist? It devalues the word. When there's a real case of racism, you don't want everyone to equate it with what PewDiePie joked around once in his YouTube video. Racism is a serious issue, bro.

You can kindly get the gently caress out with this equivocating bullshit. Pretend I said "bigoted fuckstick" instead of the magic r-word that you fear so much.

Re: PewDiePie being a racist, I calls em like I sees em, bro.

Extreme0 posted:

You stated SA would ban people for going over the line with jokes despite the many threads (for example the Photoshop threads) pretty much doing that without punishment. The case isn't so much that the joke is offensive (There have been offensive jokes in the past be unpunished because it's actually funny) but rather if it's just poo poo laughable joke that really dosen't offer anything to the discussion and only makes the user posting it an idiot. To assume that everyone who makes funny photoshops that might be offensive as the likes of racists is a short-sighted.

You're fishmeching here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Pittsburgh parachute account spotted

• Locked thread