Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What you've never seen a hardcore Gamer control 4 squids at once in order to avoid playing with c c casuals?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

TFRazorsaw posted:

Overwatch restricted its PvE mode to events and that's apparently just fine with everyone.

But no, this is definitely a game balance thing.

Overwatch PvE modes aren't that fun anyways.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anidav posted:

What you've never seen a hardcore Gamer control 4 squids at once in order to avoid playing with c c casuals?!

no.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anidav posted:

no

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anidav posted:

no

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

once, and it's haunted me ever since

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

without any idea of how/when the salmon run events will be held, it still seems dumb. if offline doesn't give loot and online is possible, why not have the mode online but only give loot during events? it's also weird to me that complaints about lobbies and loadouts weren't addressed at all, and they're still doing a two map rotation with as many maps as they have available.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Well, reviews are in and it looks like the Summer of Nintendo is a wet fart. Sad, maybe the Switch could be saved with Nindies? Too bad there aren't any, just shovelware now. Botw and MK8DX had me on top of the world and now I feel like I'm just sitting down in on antarctica. Sad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dizz posted:

Overwatch PvE modes aren't that fun anyways.

No shooter PVE mode is fun for more than 10 minutes. I hope Splatoon's changes that for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogsicle posted:

without any idea of how/when the salmon run events will be held, it still seems dumb. if offline doesn't give loot and online is possible, why not have the mode online but only give loot during events? it's also weird to me that complaints about lobbies and loadouts weren't addressed at all, and they're still doing a two map rotation with as many maps as they have available.

Matchmaking, funneling people into salmon run on some days and turf war / pro mode or splatfests on other days makes matchmaking go faster.

Since there's salmon run like every other day from what we've seen, I don't think we should worry about it until we actually see how it plays out. But it does seem weird at first, for sure.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Well, reviews are in and it looks like the Summer of Nintendo is a wet fart. Sad, maybe the Switch could be saved with Nindies? Too bad there aren't any, just shovelware now. Botw and MK8DX had me on top of the world and now I feel like I'm just sitting down in on antarctica. Sad.
:yeah:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Matchmaking, funneling people into salmon run on some days and turf war / pro mode or splatfests on other days makes matchmaking go faster.

Since there's salmon run like every other day from what we've seen, I don't think we should worry about it until we actually see how it plays out. But it does seem weird at first, for sure.

yeah, hearing it relegated to "event" status just made me think the cool new mode everyone is hyping would be at best monthly, like splatfest. which is incentive enough to play, i guess, but kinda lame. still unsure if i'll pick it up.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Well at least Dr Tim whately is sad

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's less an event and more on a schedule.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogsicle posted:

yeah, hearing it relegated to "event" status just made me think the cool new mode everyone is hyping would be at best monthly, like splatfest. which is incentive enough to play, i guess, but kinda lame. still unsure if i'll pick it up.

There's no way its gonna be once per month. I'd think once per week *minimum*, like I said from the little bits we've seen the schedule had salmon run going for 24 hours every other day or every two days, that's not bad at all.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hate time limited poo poo, I have a loving job and poo poo to do, I don't want to have to make sure I'm available certain days of the week to play my game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I hate time limited poo poo, I have a loving job and poo poo to do, I don't want to have to make sure I'm available certain days of the week to play my game.

Yeah if its like Destiny and you have to play on Saturday or whatever that's bad.

But if its seriously every other day in the week? Is that so bad? Again, it runs for 24 hours. Its not like a 4 hour window.

And you can play salmon run with your friends outside those windows, and you can play normal turf war and ranked mode outside those windows. There's plenty of poo poo to do. And that's just online play, not even the campaign.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm no scientist but maybe... just make it always available? Call me crazy!!!!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think the second direct showed the being a 24 hour period from the 20 to the 21st, then a 24 hour period from the 22nd you the 23rd, and then a 24 hour period from the 24th to the 25th. From this page here: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/07/06/salmon-run-detailed-splatoon-2-direct/

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah if its like Destiny and you have to play on Saturday or whatever that's bad.

But if its seriously every other day in the week? Is that so bad? Again, it runs for 24 hours. Its not like a 4 hour window.

And you can play salmon run with your friends outside those windows, and you can play normal turf war and ranked mode outside those windows. There's plenty of poo poo to do. And that's just online play, not even the campaign.

I mean that's not as bad but if I have one night I'm free and feel like playing Salmon rush and can't that's dumb.

And I don't have friends, I'm thirty years old and complaining about being able to play Salmon Rush.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/millsbw/status/887390462306385921
The best Bowser has died.:smith:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

again, it's a balance issue. They've tied earning stuff for gear and customization to this, and if it's available 24/7, people are gonna grind it out and the game will basically fill up with players who have all the best equipment and combinations very quickly. You don't need ludicrous scenarios like one dude playing 4 games on 4 switches for that to happen.

This at least staves off the inevitability for a modest amount of time, and more than likely, it'll eventually be changed to always being active like when they made it so you didn't have to participate in splatfests to customize your gear in the first game once those were over.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

No shooter PVE mode is fun for more than 10 minutes.

Counterpoint: Left 4 Dead.
Counterpoint: CoD Zombies
Counterpoint: Gears of War Horde Mode
Counterpoint: Serious Sam Survival Mode

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I can't imagine Nintendo locking better equipment behind salmon run. Unique equipment definitely, but straight up better stuff doesn't really fit their design philosophy. Plus in splatoon 2 you can put any ability on any gear eventually so that equipment wouldn't stay the best

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Imagined posted:

Good point. I consider that to be it's own thing though. I meant stuff like Gear's Horde mode, COD zombies and whatever god awful mode the new Halo games have.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I mean that's not as bad but if I have one night I'm free and feel like playing Salmon rush and can't that's dumb.

And I don't have friends, I'm thirty years old and complaining about being able to play Salmon Rush.

Yeah I feel you.

Imagined posted:

Counterpoint: CoD Zombies
Counterpoint: Gears of War Horde Mode
Counterpoint: Serious Sam Survival Mode

Also Payday, also Vermintide Also...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Good point. I consider that to be it's own thing though. I meant stuff like Gear's Horde mode, COD zombies and whatever god awful mode the new Halo games have.

There are people who don't like COD zombies?

I hate COD and I still play COD zombies at friends' houses sometimes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zaphod42 posted:

Destiny's Iron Banner is once a month and runs for a week, so you get plenty of time to play but it's not like Salmon Rush where that's a unique mode with supposedly really good loot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Destiny's Iron Banner is once a month and runs for a week, so you get plenty of time to play but it's not like Salmon Rush where that's a unique mode with supposedly really good loot.

I was talking about ole Xur

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zelder posted:

I can't imagine Nintendo locking better equipment behind salmon run. Unique equipment definitely, but straight up better stuff doesn't really fit their design philosophy. Plus in splatoon 2 you can put any ability on any gear eventually so that equipment wouldn't stay the best

i don't think anyone is worried about the negligible equipment stats, they just don't want to miss out on the dress-up aspect to the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zaphod42 posted:

There are people who don't like COD zombies?

I hate COD and I still play COD zombies at friends' houses sometimes.

I haven't played the new ones but I hate how damage spongy the enemies get. Same goes for horde. It's not fun at that point imo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zaphod42 posted:

I was talking about ole Xur

Oh, Xur's a bitch who rarely brings anything good anyway so he can gently caress off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zombies is a bad mode and has always been bad.

Call of Duty would NOT be perfect for the Switch

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zelder posted:

Except it's not the equipment I'm talking about. You get the materials to put any ability on any piece of gear FROM Salmon Run. It'd be easy to create the best gear possible if you could do it whenever you wanted.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't think anyone is worried about the negligible equipment stats, they just don't want to miss out on the dress-up aspect to the game.

I believe you camn still order clothes off the people you meet in the plaza and in battle

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zelder posted:

Drink tickets, which will make getting a desired ability combo much, much easier, are tied to Salmon Run and Octo Canyon. I'm not of the opinion that slotting the exact abilities you want on gear is a major power boost, but inasmuch as this game has a power curve Salmon Run is gonna be key to climbing it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I got burnt out of Nazi zombies like 7 years ago. I don't understand the people that want that repetitive poo poo in every game.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ah, seems I was in the wrong. My apologies. What's Octo canyon?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Except it's not the equipment I'm talking about. You get the materials to put any ability on any piece of gear FROM Salmon Run. It'd be easy to create the best gear possible if you could do it whenever you wanted.

Oh no...

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I don't play other console shooters* so I don't know how much their customization stuff figures in but with Splatoon 1 it was a lot of helpful but but not really important things. People would go for looks over function and do just fine. I could start a level 1 character in starting gear and go right after S rank play without feeling like I was really lacking anything. It being every other day is weird but idk, when I see something I hate (gently caress Moray Towers) less I want to play that badly I just you know...do something else with my life.

*Cause they all look boring

Edit: Missing some weapon load outs from the get go is going to be the actually annoying part, not some random piece of clothing/bonus.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Zelder posted:

Ah, seems I was in the wrong. My apologies. What's Octo canyon?

The single-player campaign.

• Locked thread