Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

What bothers me most in this stupid show is how people who walk around what looks like the equivalent of northern Greenland don't wear scarves or even a hood or cap. They're bundled up in furs but then leave their neck and face totally exposed to snowstorms and stuff.

Well, while they're in Winterfell, remember that it's heated with pipes, so I imagine they can bundle up a bit less thanks to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

kater posted:

What? They already did that. Tyrion threw it at him as a wedding gift or some poo poo.

No, that didn't happen.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

Actually it wouldn't have had the same effect because there wouldn't have been the paranoia he would say something, leading to the assassin who was using Tyrion's dagger for reasons I'm still not sure of, leading to the House Stark vendetta against the Lannisters, etc.

He should have been killed by the fever or whatever after the failed assassination. That would've fit well with the bleak nature of the show too.

LITTLEFINGER GAVE HIS DAGGER TO THE ASSASSIN, SENT THE ASSASSIN, THEN LIED TO NED/CAT TO START CONFLICT WITH THE LANNISTERS

there

you needed some training wheels so I gave

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
The episode was good. The real Negus agree with me. Therefore this thread is bad and wrong.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Diqnol posted:

Aren't there a whole lot of Iron Islands?

Yeah like 10 but they're all the same: big rear end rocks full of nothing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nail Rat posted:

It's really hard to take show Euron seriously because for all his bluster, literally the only thing he's done is throw a really old guy off a bridge. It's not that impressive.

I don't think there's a casting change that could help that core issue. He needs to actually do something.

He needed all his recovered Valarian poo poo from the books. That's what instantly gave him legitimacy, proof he did what nobody else could do, right from literally the first second you see him.

Without that, he's just some prick.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

"Hey guys, I have a dick. Vote for me." is pretty believable when it comes to the delicate, nuanced power structure and succession rites of the Iron Islands.

"Hey guys, check out my wardrobe and impressive collection of knick-knacks"... not so much.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

jfood posted:

"Hey guys, I have a dick. Vote for me." is pretty believable when it comes to the delicate, nuanced power structure and succession rites of the Iron Islands.

"Hey guys, check out my wardrobe and impressive collection of knick-knacks"... not so much.

It's more a case of "Hey guys, I sailed where no one has ever sailed which automatically makes me the best pirate ever" logic that is pretty believable to sway the primitive iron islanders

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phi230 posted:

LITTLEFINGER GAVE HIS DAGGER TO THE ASSASSIN, SENT THE ASSASSIN, THEN LIED TO NED/CAT TO START CONFLICT WITH THE LANNISTERS

there

you needed some training wheels so I gave

Wait, is this how it played in the show? Cause it was definitely Joffrie sending the assassin to kill Bran in the books. Because King Robert said something about it being better if he was dead than suffering like he was.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, is this how it played in the show? Cause it was definitely Joffrie sending the assassin to kill Bran in the books. Because King Robert said something about it being better if he was dead than suffering like he was.

In the show that plotline is never resolved afaik. It's really weird that they didn't place the blame on Joffrey too, seeing as how the show goes out of their way to make the evil character more :moreevil:.

Like, we get it, Joffrey is a dick, no need to pincushion a whore.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
IIRC the show plotline was entirely contained in S1 and went like this:

With the dagger in their possession, Ned and Cat question LF
LF says it belonged to Tyrion, but keeps the dagger (later uses it during the Stark betrayal)
Cat kidnaps Tyrion and interrogates him
Tyrion says something along the lines of "who would be dumb enough to use their own blade to assassinate someone?"
They get attacked by mountain bandits and the assassination plot is never brought up again

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
GRRM: "Oh, this thing. People still care about this? Uh, Joffrey did it, I guess, whatever."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
did the book ever establish if Margery actually took moon tea

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

did the book ever establish if Margery actually took moon tea

No, and we'll never know.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Whatever happened to the hot masked lady who said voodoo poo poo to Jorah in like season 2ish?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Quaithe has been cut entirely, I imagine.

I expect her to have more to do in Dany's story in the books tho.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
She just warned him that people would totes want them dragons. Presumably she's out there giving weird but sound advice to others.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

drunken officeparty posted:

Whatever happened to the hot masked lady who said voodoo poo poo to Jorah in like season 2ish?

She's on the boat with Gendry

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

skasion posted:

She's on the boat with Gendry

Like half the characters in that gendry boat picture have come back and had their stories wrapped up.

One of the first spoilers I saw about this season was that Gendry was coming back too. Could be bullshit

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tree Dude posted:

One of the first spoilers I saw about this season was that Gendry was coming back too. Could be bullshit

God, imagine how loving jacked his arms must be.

:swoon:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Even knowing that Kelly C loses a dragon what threat does the night king even pose? His army is a bunch of flammable Romero zombies and when those get torched by the other 2 dragons theres like a dozen white walkers vs an army of people with valeerian steel swords and dragon glass arrows. Do we need 14 more episodes for this predictable poo poo?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
If Gendry does show up it will be to run in a straight line and get arrowed by Euron without a single line because the alternatives are:

a) Him becoming the king of the seven kingdoms which is a no-no since that spot is exclusively for Jon/Dany/Tyrion/Democracy
b) Jon/Dany/Tyrion killing him to remove his claim to the throne which is also a no-no because Jon/Dany/Tyrion are saints born from a virgin and will only shoot if shot first

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not bullshit, by the way, I think he was photographed while shooting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gendry doesn't have any real claim to the throne. He's the low born bastard of four kings ago, like two people in the world know that, and he doesn't want to rule. As hilarious as it is that the writers forgot him on the boat, he is basically irrelevant to the plot and the only reason they would bring him back is if they want to do something else with king's blood magic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lycus posted:

It's not bullshit, by the way, I think he was photographed while shooting.

How did his arms look?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

WampaLord posted:

How did his arms look?

Amputated and replaced with oars.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

skasion posted:

Gendry doesn't have any real claim to the throne. He's the low born bastard of four kings ago, like two people in the world know that, and he doesn't want to rule. As hilarious as it is that the writers forgot him on the boat, he is basically irrelevant to the plot and the only reason they would bring him back is if they want to do something else with king's blood magic.

Nah him and Arya are gonna totes be friends/married and live happily ever after

Or a Faceless Man will use Gendry's face to get close to and cut down Arya for leaving them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

Amputated and replaced with oars.

Oh son of a bitch, he contracted Oarscale!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Oh son of a bitch, he contracted Oarscale!

and the only cure is Oarglass found on Oarstone island.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Quaithe's role in the book is mainly to make readers really worried that Dany will have to go all the way to Asshai before she actually invades Westeros

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

banned from Starbucks posted:

Even knowing that Kelly C loses a dragon what threat does the night king even pose? His army is a bunch of flammable Romero zombies and when those get torched by the other 2 dragons theres like a dozen white walkers vs an army of people with valeerian steel swords and dragon glass arrows. Do we need 14 more episodes for this predictable poo poo?

If he can zombify one dragon, there's a possibility he could zombify the other 2.

Which of course won't happen but at least there is something. You're basically complaining how predictable it is that the good guys are gonna win.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

You're basically complaining how predictable it is that the good guys are gonna win.

I mean that used to not be a given with this series

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I want that big red meteor to come back and just blow up the planet

e: Did medieval naval ships just ram each other like more ancient people did? Like before cannons but after Rome. I only know up to Rome.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 19, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean that used to not be a given with this series

It was always a given that the good guys were gonna win, no matter which individuals died. I think it's pretty silly to think otherwise. GRRM has repeatedly said the ending would be bittersweet, which is good guys winning with cost.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gently caress me this gif hurts

drunken officeparty posted:

If you really wanna know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqvnwo2I0ZM

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 19, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lycus posted:

It was always a given that the good guys were gonna win, no matter which individuals died. I think it's pretty silly to think otherwise. GRRM has repeatedly said the ending would be bittersweet, which is good guys winning with cost.

Right, the big prophecy with Azor Ahai was that he had to sacrifice his wife to make the sword all super fire power, right?

So somebody on the good guy team is gonna get axed at the very end. Hence bittersweet. (and knowing GRRM its gonna be somebodies plural)

A few side characters and at least one of the Starks will survive. But beyond that I wouldn't be surprised if they start killing people off left and right for ratings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Honestly, why aren't people hailing Lyanna Mormont as Queen in the North ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7YF8Srv8IY

This guy's voice is terrible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it'll probably end predictably with like Jon Snow riding a dragon that's breathing fire at the Night King while he shoots an ice ray back and it's a Harry Potter wand fight.

But it could be a lot worse. Maybe I've watched too many Preston Jacobs videos, but there do seem to be a lot of hints at circumstances being manipulated by the various gods. It would be loving terrible if there's some moment where Jon meets the Red God and gets a big exposition dump about how he and Dany and everyone else are just pawns.

I'm just fine with a big stupid obvious battle between good and evil.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm just waiting for the big reveal that this all mess started because a warlock burned Varys' dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Come on the ending will all be about Jon\Dany teaching the night's king to be human again or some poo poo like that, GRRM is a hippie and the entire conflict is set up so that every side has legitimate and just grievances.

• Locked thread