Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

W H Y?

I had the power of Void!

What is V O I D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
because everyone's thinking it and nobody's saying it: it's not ok to poo poo in people's cheerios just because you'll never see them yourself

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

spoilers are ok when someone you don't like is complaining about them

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Got into Shisui with.... a really terrible SAM. I reminded him gently at first that he has good AoE since it was just me and the MCH doing AoE the entire dungeon basically and I decided to swap to i270 str right side for the last boss of the dungeon just so I could make such a great parse (DRK is good and fun still, idk why I was down on it after SB hit but I also really wanted SAM to 70 first in the story content so :shrug:)

Be a tank today!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What are my options for gatherer gear at 61? Never got any of the endgame stuff in HW so I'm sitting around 130 leftside with garbo right. It looks like I can buy some leftside stuff in rhalgar's, with offhands at 63, but I cant find any replacements for my rightside stuff - is MB/crafting my only option? Someone said something about redscrip for gearing but the lowest level stuff I see is 65.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 19, 2017

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"
You should be able to get level 60 right side stuff in Idyllshire, for some red scrip.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

is there a new theme song in the patch to accompany the new secret raid boss?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was worried that switching to levelling a Scholar before I was done with 2.x stuff would be boring but it's actually kinda fun, even in PotD which makes me excited to actually get more abilities (still only level 25).

That said, as I get into dungeons where I need to actually somewhat know poo poo (did Amdapor for the first time yesterday, wiped four times at the end because the healer didn't explain the doors mechanic even after having it explained three times via chat and opening doors even when we said "don't worry about it, leave it to the guy who knows the mechanic") can someone explain to me what an off-tank actually... does?

I assume the answer is: Main tank tries to tank everything. OT just does DPS and sometimes catches stragglers and Shirks them off to the MT. Sometimes the MT is taking too much damage or the boss has some mechanic and so the MT shirks onto the OT, who becomes the new MT.

Does that sum it up?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Haquer posted:

Got into Shisui with.... a really terrible SAM. I reminded him gently at first that he has good AoE since it was just me and the MCH doing AoE the entire dungeon basically and I decided to swap to i270 str right side for the last boss of the dungeon just so I could make such a great parse (DRK is good and fun still, idk why I was down on it after SB hit but I also really wanted SAM to 70 first in the story content so :shrug:)

Be a tank today!

Really bad?

That is more DPS than I see some SAMs do in Snakemom EX!

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Lant posted:

Really bad?

That is more DPS than I see some SAMs do in Snakemom EX!

Boy have I got some parses for you!! Highlights include, a BRD doing 900 DPS! A SAM doing 1,200! And much, much more!

(All of them parsed from Deltascape or EX Primals)

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

bewilderment posted:

I was worried that switching to levelling a Scholar before I was done with 2.x stuff would be boring but it's actually kinda fun, even in PotD which makes me excited to actually get more abilities (still only level 25).

That said, as I get into dungeons where I need to actually somewhat know poo poo (did Amdapor for the first time yesterday, wiped four times at the end because the healer didn't explain the doors mechanic even after having it explained three times via chat and opening doors even when we said "don't worry about it, leave it to the guy who knows the mechanic") can someone explain to me what an off-tank actually... does?

I assume the answer is: Main tank tries to tank everything. OT just does DPS and sometimes catches stragglers and Shirks them off to the MT. Sometimes the MT is taking too much damage or the boss has some mechanic and so the MT shirks onto the OT, who becomes the new MT.

Does that sum it up?

It varies by fight. Sometimes they swap with the MT when specific mechanics happen, sometimes they pick up adds, sometimes they're just a glorified dps there to pick up the boss if the MT manages to get themselves killed.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Off tanks are generally asked to do three different things in a fight:

1) become the new main tank if something happens to make the old main tank unable to tank: dying is the obvious one, but many tankbusters at level cap inflict vulnerability debuffs that force a swap. In many fights there really is no ot/mt, just a starting tank.

2) pick up and separately tank adds, either because taking the boss and the adds together would simply mean too much damage, or there's fuckery with debuffs/positioning.

3) rarely, mechanics specifically target the second on the enmity list. Lakshmi does this.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

bewilderment posted:

can someone explain to me what an off-tank actually... does?

Does that sum it up?

Sometimes the OT is just durable DPS, but for most fights/trials there are specific mechanics that the OT has to deal with.

these mechanics commonly include;
    1) tank swaps (the OT becomes MT, and vice-versa... since the main tank will get hit with a debuff that will make them die, or take unreasonably high amount of damage, the next time they are hit by that attack)
    2) soaking some tank busters/cleaves alongside the MT.
    3) picking up and tanking adds which spawn during an encounter.
    4) general instance specific mechanics which target the 2nd tank or 2nd highest person on the enmity list (which should be the OT).
    5) picking up the slack if the MT dies.
basically.. it depends on the context.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 19, 2017

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

bewilderment posted:

Does that sum it up?

It depends on the fight. Some fights have a mechanic that stacks a debuff on the MT and eventually the boss will just hit for unsurvivable amounts so you swap, then swap back once the OT's debuff stacks too high and the MT's has fallen off. Some fights have too many adds for a single tank to deal with so you need two tanks. Some fights just have a mechanic that does shitloads of damage to a single player and the OT will have some way to ensure it's always them (usually by running into the target or similar).

And then some fights have none of that and you can just take a 5th DPS in instead and pray they don't die.

Also note that generally tanks use Provoke as 'primary' aggro management since Shirk might not get you all the way there. Shirk is used generally for boosting the MT's existing aggro lead.

vOv fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some NIN questions since I ought to be hitting 70 tonight after a couple of Castrum Abania runs.

- What does the opener look like, and how does it vary with available Ninki?
- Bhavacakra's CD is 50s; Trick Attack is 60. Should I be saving Bhavacakra for TA, or using it ASAP? Gut instinct tells me I should be using it ASAP.
- Is TCJ worth using for AOE via Fuma Katon Doton, or should I save the Ninki for more frogs?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.twitch.tv/foldasaurus

They're on savage v4 phase 2, it's a secret boss

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Ok, that's definitely the song I was expecting to hear :swoon:

someone please :filez:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Ok, that's definitely the song I was expecting to hear :swoon:

someone please :filez:

I recall someone saying it was actually in the game's filed ever since Deltascape dropped, which is why people were guessing who the Deltascape V4S boss was.

KoB
May 1, 2009

:getin:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

And here's a clip of the transition from phase 1
https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousSmoggyPorcupineKreygasm

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy loving poo poo this fight looks insanely hard

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That is the coolest thing I have seen in my life

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
they did 10% of it's hp in 8.5 minutes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Be careful what you ask for" - Yoshi P

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know this must seem obvious to others, but, how do you get Lost Allagan Weapons?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Xarbala posted:

I know this must seem obvious to others, but, how do you get Lost Allagan Weapons?

Do O4 for seven weeks for the crystalloid and buy ten creation tokens from the tomestone lady.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Xarbala posted:

It's very obtuse

At the Omega Parts vendor exchange 7 crystalloids from v4.0 for an early model tomestone.
At the tomestone vendor exchange 1000 tomestones of creation for 10 Rowena's tokens.
At the primal vendor select the Lost Allagan Exchange option, and trade the early model tomestone and tokens for the weapon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or 7 creation tokens if you're a baller PLD :smuggo:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Do O4 for seven weeks for the crystalloid and buy ten creation tokens from the tomestone lady.

Gruckles posted:

It's very obtuse

At the Omega Parts vendor exchange 7 crystalloids from v4.0 for an early model tomestone.
At the tomestone vendor exchange 1000 tomestones of creation for 10 Rowena's tokens.
At the primal vendor select the Lost Allagan Exchange option, and trade the early model tomestone and tokens for the weapon.

Aight, thanks.

Sounds reasonable enough, because savage is always going to be out of my reach.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so did we figure out where the new glamour comes from yet

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I am crazy late to the party but I did it. I finally conquered that one stupid jump.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I was wondering when they'd start putting in useful poo poo for 3 lines.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of dumb achievements, I did my first expert since forever today and walked out with this thing

it's ad'awwable

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

oh my god pepsi man is back to kill all the statics of the world

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm really hoping all the OF bitching doesn't dissuade them from doing these sweet rear end savage only phases/fights in future content.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I still haven't seen the important question, the glamour question, answered; does the Ao Dai have a men's version?!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I will probably never get there but I think it's very cool and feels worth working towards that the hardest thing (or at least the furthest in progression) in the game right now is also very rad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm really hoping all the OF bitching doesn't dissuade them from doing these sweet rear end savage only phases/fights in future content.

I think it's a brilliant way to do things. Normal gets all the story. Savage gets a bonus boss phase. It's a great way to split the difference.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

You're both the FFXIV equivalent of the people who read Pathfinder splatbooks on the toilet.