Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Injuryprone posted:

Which deck is this? I like Skaabs and emerge.

Here you go - https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-u-r-emergea#paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

uPen posted:

Just ban everything then nobody can complain about broken decks.

Welcome to current standard which is in a pretty cool place right now.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Entropic posted:

The UR Skaab / Emerge deck is at least tier 2 in standard right now and I think the only > $5 cards in it are the Spirebluff Canals, Wandering Fumaroles and Kozilek's Returns.

Speaking of K Return, can anyone explain to me this discrepancy between MTGO and Paper with this card? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Kozileks+Return#online

Usually paper is more expensive but with heavily played cards on MTGO sometimes they jump ahead of paper. This one I can't figure out for the life of me, 5 in paper and over 20 online? Thought-Knot Seer and a few other cards have similarly spiked on MTGO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My guess is because that draft format loving sucked

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

It's part this, and I think partly how appealing the card is to a spike. There are far fewer casual players online to prop up prices of non-competitive cards, which means those competitive cards get more expensive. I'm not sure how accurate that theory is, but it's always the spikiest cards that this happens to (Sphinx's Rev and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy were both more expensive online than paper for most of their standard presence as well, not sure how they stand now).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm okay with most of this but what the actual gently caress are those unbans?

20 life and aggro decks being a thing?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Doesn't appear to be set related, as Spell Queller and Selfless Spirit are also behaving similarly, while other rares and mythics in the same sets aren't or follow normal trends. Being slightly higher online is fine, prices also decline slower in paper. Spell Queller being 14 online and only 5 in paper? Seems weird as hell, I wonder if there is some market manipulation or something.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

Do you people actually think Wizards would promote a format that requires barely any packs cracked per person to fuel it? You're nuts.

Your hyperbolic nihilism is so refreshingly new on the internet.

Anyways, they promote Modern and that isn't selling many packs for Wizards. If they're trying to develop a involvement treadmill, having an entrance that isn't gated behind repeatedly getting your teeth kicked in at $15 a pop isn't a bad idea. WotC jumped on EDH as a casual engagement method, while ignoring that it has such a huge spectrum of power levels. Plus the price floor isn't really low and the ceiling is insane.

SilverBlack, or whatever you'd want to call it, would at least leave a tightly banded power range for cheap. Newer players would still lose but be more able to learn because they would have easier access to all tools that defeat them. I'm not suggesting it become a protour thing, but as a format for newer players or kids who ostensibly cannot and should not spend $150 for a deck to be viable it gives a good foundation.

At least the format is a hit among my friend's kids. It's fun hearing the stories shift from kids begging their folks to buy whatever rare beat them to how they're pulling off cool things with the boxes of cards I drop off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Archenteron posted:

20 life and aggro decks being a thing?

By the Bruse Tarl ban, they don't like aggro decks either!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

maybe the trick is to just end standard and replace it with frontier

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

gif Probst posted:

4-color JVP vs. collected company vs. brutal red aggro is cool in its own way but maybe not the best thing to sell to the newbies.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

They'd also have to reprint a load of stuff cos lol if you held on to JVP while it was $90+

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

gif Probst posted:

With what?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bringing back event decks that are Actually Decent And Playable would also probably help newer casual players. the mono-black event deck i got when i got back into mtg during born of the gods did well and i was able to go 4-1 knocked out at top 8 with it, which was more than i was expecting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

uninverted posted:

4-color JVP vs. collected company vs. brutal red aggro is cool in its own way but maybe not the best thing to sell to the newbies.
it wasnt a serious post

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

gif Probst posted:

Don't even joke about this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AceClown posted:

They'd also have to reprint a load of stuff cos lol if you held on to JVP while it was $90+

Hey. I've found uses for the 6 of them since they rotated. Mainly commander decks and my janky As Foretold brews. :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

By the Bruse Tarl ban, they don't like aggro decks either!

So again, I don't really know anything about paper duel commander but how could Bruse Tarl be bannable?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

So again, I don't really know anything about paper duel commander but how could Bruse Tarl be bannable?

Hyper efficient aggro and anti-aggro commander. With partner to boot.

What other Boros commander would you realistically run over him?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
:stare:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Marketing New Brain posted:

Speaking of K Return, can anyone explain to me this discrepancy between MTGO and Paper with this card? https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Oath+of+the+Gatewatch/Kozileks+Return#online

Usually paper is more expensive but with heavily played cards on MTGO sometimes they jump ahead of paper. This one I can't figure out for the life of me, 5 in paper and over 20 online? Thought-Knot Seer and a few other cards have similarly spiked on MTGO.

Paper tends to have a lot of 1$-5$ rares while in MTGO where everyone dumps their draft cards to bots so the market is way more liquid you have almost all the cards in the set being virtually worthless (i.e. worth like 0.001 tickets) with the few rares from each set that people actually want for constructed holding all of the value, especially if they're mythic.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

AceClown posted:

lol if you held on to JVP while it was $90+
I drafted both of mine and hardly ever sell cards, but yeah I should have made a bit of an effort here :(. Oh well, I'll probably just put them in my cube eventually.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

I traded my one JVP for two Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, I regret nothing.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

please do not buy anything over $25 from star city

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

please do not buy anything over $25 from star city

Conspiracy theories on the 'net are that they're trying to drive up prices a la what they did (and failed to maintain) with JTMS and City of Traitors but succeeded with other cards. Supposedly their buylist prices are up as well. Wouldn't surprise me if we see an announcement in the near future that they're adding more legacy back into their event schedule

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Dehtraen posted:

Conspiracy theories on the 'net are that they're trying to drive up prices a la what they did (and failed to maintain) with JTMS and City of Traitors but succeeded with other cards. Supposedly their buylist prices are up as well. Wouldn't surprise me if we see an announcement in the near future that they're adding more legacy back into their event schedule

There's also speculation they're buying heavily into reserve list cards with the idea that the new Masters set will drop price on other cards and prop up demand on duals. Makes some sense.

I'd kill for more legacy events though

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
All this talk of $700 ZEN Standard and duals buyouts reminds me: wasn't it SCG's bold plan of buying out ZEN fetches while they were still in print that created those $500 manabases, destroying Standard attendance to a point where it never recovered? I remember hearing a story that SCG buyers were going to all the dealer tables at a major GP and buying out all the fetches, and raising their buylist prices online, and suddenly the average fetchland went from $12 to $30.

Standard attendance probably would have recovered by now if WotC didn't print five cards they needed to ban, but nobody wanted to play in $700 Standard.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Entropic posted:

Paper tends to have a lot of 1$-5$ rares while in MTGO where everyone dumps their draft cards to bots so the market is way more liquid you have almost all the cards in the set being virtually worthless (i.e. worth like 0.001 tickets) with the few rares from each set that people actually want for constructed holding all of the value, especially if they're mythic.

Why just these few cards, and why the sudden spike? Again if it was a consistent trend with all the cards or specific mythics, or the entire set was more expensive online, but it isn't a few tickets more than their paper counterpart across the board, its a few cards that have an insane disparity.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Print an Eternal Masters set that has mythic versions of the Power Nine and costs $200 a pack

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unironically print snow duals in commander products and roll out an endless supply of them.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Doesn't appear to be set related, as Spell Queller and Selfless Spirit are also behaving similarly, while other rares and mythics in the same sets aren't or follow normal trends. Being slightly higher online is fine, prices also decline slower in paper. Spell Queller being 14 online and only 5 in paper? Seems weird as hell, I wonder if there is some market manipulation or something.

Both of those cards (plus Kozilek's Return) were also in the second set of their block. Playable rares/mythics in otherwise bad sets get inflated online due to redemption and demand, and if they're only drafted for three months there isn't a high enough supply to drive the prices down. After 6+ months Selfless Spirit and Spell Queller are playable again, so now people are buying them back, which increases demand, but a large amount of the supply online got taken out through redemption, and there's no way people are opening enough packs/chests to fill the demand.

Incidentally it seems you literally cannot draft BFZ/OGW or SOI/EMN anymore? Lol MTGO is such a trainwreck. Apparently there's a KLD/AER 6-2-2-2 swiss queue, and then only AMK/HOU for all other events.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Why are these decks moving away from Fiery Temper; it feels so good to Madness it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

triple sulk posted:

Print an Eternal Masters set that has mythic versions of the Power Nine and costs $200 a pack
You mean masterpiece versions with 54~ different masterpieces in $20 packs in a big masters set with a short run.

Or something like that. Enjoy opening thousands of dollars of boxes per lotus, etc. Can't wait. The whine tornado will be glorious.

Hellsau posted:

Lol MTGO is such a trainwreck.
I really wish someone had started a running blog of every modo gently caress up years ago so we could scroll down.

But like, not really, since I feel like that list would just be immensely depressing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DangerDongs posted:

Why are these decks moving away from Fiery Temper; it feels so good to Madness it.

I'm keeping the fiery temper in my build. Champion of wits is so loving good FYI uuunnnggghhh

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

A number of players on the Scottish Competitive play facebook group had been complaining about the number of stores doing sealed instead of Modern for this season's PPTQ's.

A newer store were boasting that their first PPTQ was also Scotland's largest to date, with around 54 players.

This Sunday's Modern PPTQ at a different store had a cap of 48, but has now found an external venue to allow additional players, as they had additional demand.

Modern's a good format, and people like it.

Give me Modern Showdown packs please Wizards.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mehall posted:

Give me Modern Showdown packs please Wizards.

You know in your heart that if Wizards did this they'd do it in a completely retarded way like have them contain a random rare from the pool of all possible modern legal rares.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

You know in your heart that if Wizards did this they'd do it in a completely retarded way like have them contain a random rare from the pool of all possible modern legal rares.

TBH, that'd be fun, and Chaos drafts with Modern Showdown packs would be amazing.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Modern is probably better off for the comparative lack of wotc interference. If they paid it as much attention as they did standard they'd no doubt manage to gently caress it up.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Wurzag posted:

Modern is probably better off for the comparative lack of wotc interference. If they paid it as much attention as they did standard they'd no doubt manage to gently caress it up.

So true... never has Wizards withdrawing support been so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's okay, come to Duel Commander, where the metagame was shaken up because today they banned four tier 1 lists at once!

And they announced next season's bans will include Gitrog Monster and Titania!

WoTC was right to make their own banlist.

They should change online commander to 20 life at least because 100-card aggro decks are a lot of fun