Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Zore posted:

Its a new resource system. You earn points for things like killing an enemy with a flanking shot, or killing them by destroying the floor they stand on; basically by being tactically advantageous. This is modified by a new stat called 'combat intelligence' that lets soldiers with high intelligence gain more points. There is both a global pool and a per soldier pool though I'm not clear on how the points you earn breakdown between them.

The old AWC system is gone and instead all normal soldiers have 3 random perks you can buy by spending the ability points, or you can use them to buy other perks you didn't pick at rank up (So you can grab conceal and blademaster etc)

The 3 new classes don't level up normally and can only get new perks by spending ability points, and their trees are as big as normal soldiers.
Sweet. The AWC always was a random crapshoot and having to rush it every game just in case your soldiers triggered the perk gain early in their career was annoying. Having the choice of 3 random perks means getting a much more interesting set of soldiers fully customized for total destruction. Time to reinstall XCOM 2 and get the custom goon characters again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Does the expansion bring back Bradford's sweater?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just, all these goodies, I can't handle just how much I want it, I NEEDS it. Everything that has been posted about this expansion just screams wonderfulness. Oh and templars are going to be revealed tomorrow, ugh this is making finals so painful.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 18, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Does the expansion bring back Bradford's sweater?

It's one of the biggest casualties. There is a mod to bring that sucker back, though.

I'm probably going to buy the expo at the Humble store. 10% off and then 5% back is pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAQdUn46Sk

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oh my god its like they took a look at the Jedi mod and decided 'hey, let's just put that in the game'

:allears:

psi-lightning is rad as gently caress.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

Oh my god its like they took a look at the Jedi mod and decided 'hey, let's just put that in the game'

:allears:

psi-lightning is rad as gently caress.

I'm now most pumped for the Templars. I'm guessing because although the other two factions are cool, they're more same-y as soldiers, whereas these guys are looking a lot different.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
from what I've seen I prefer the aesthetic of the skirmisher and the reaper because they fit my personal ~vision~ of what xcom is, but goddamn if I dont wanna get my hands on a psychic lightning mage

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Templars own bones

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Who put Warhammer in my XCOM? I like it.

With so many features it's almost as if this is XCOM 2.5 (an Enemy Within-style expansion), and the funny bit is, I was wondering if XCOM would have a new release some three weeks ago given that Firaxis didn't do all that great with Civilization VI. My biggest worry now is that XCOM 2 may have feature bloat at this point and too much crap to worry about in the strategy screen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

from what I've seen I prefer the aesthetic of the skirmisher and the reaper because they fit my personal ~vision~ of what xcom is, but goddamn if I dont wanna get my hands on a psychic lightning mage
I like the seeming Reaper/Skirmisher antagonism too, whereas the Templars just seem like their own very, very fun thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wonder how many mods I am going to get to keep using without getting wotc specific versions. Surely voice packs and outfits will work fine, but would the long war perk pack and better advent need to be updated? Not saying I am not looking forward to this, but i have become accustomed to certain things.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

marshmallow creep posted:

I wonder how many mods I am going to get to keep using without getting wotc specific versions. Surely voice packs and outfits will work fine, but would the long war perk pack and better advent need to be updated? Not saying I am not looking forward to this, but i have become accustomed to certain things.

Its gonna be a rough week or so until everything gets sorted out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
By the way, is there an easy way to find out what mods are causing my XCOM 2 game to be slow as poo poo at certain points?

I wonder if the DLC has performance improvements.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ravenfood posted:

I like the seeming Reaper/Skirmisher antagonism too, whereas the Templars just seem like their own very, very fun thing.

Do reapers ever eat skirmishers?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ravenfood posted:

I think the Reapers and Skirmishers have very, very, very personal grudges against each other, and Templars are likely gonna just be massive douchebags.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

monster on a stick posted:

I believe they said there are a decent amount of performance improvements, but that might mostly be for the strategic layer and loading screens since those are getting changed a lot regardless.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't tell if the change notes, and most of the comments in the last couple of pages are about a recent patch, or the long war, or the new DLC. I'm gonna boot up this game and finish my campaign with the most recent expansions (from a year ago) and I want to know if it's changed significantly

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of improvements, is it normally for iron man games to have nearly instant load times? I started my first such game yesterday right after getting the Untouchable achievement and the load times are night and day.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

redreader posted:

I can't tell if the change notes, and most of the comments in the last couple of pages are about a recent patch, or the long war, or the new DLC. I'm gonna boot up this game and finish my campaign with the most recent expansions (from a year ago) and I want to know if it's changed significantly

Most of the chat you're referring to is probably about the upcoming expansion, though I believe there were some change notes posted describing changes between an old stream of Long War 2 and the most current version of the mod.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

By the way, is there an easy way to find out what mods are causing my XCOM 2 game to be slow as poo poo at certain points?

Yes. https://github.com/X2CommunityCore/xcom2-launcher/releases/tag/v1.1.2 Use this as your XCOM2 launcher, first and foremost. It'll let you reorder your mods and fix issues there yourself, but it'll detect mods using the same overrides, which is what causes that incredible slowdown, most likely. One specific example would be for LW2 and Upcoming Events In Hours. The latter overrides the barracks soldier list just so it can display the days as hours. By removing that override element in the engine.ini for the mod, the mod then runs completely fine. Stuff like that you can get detected with the mod launcher and can fix manually like in that case.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

This may be a completely obsolete issue, but did the targeting bug a few weeks after the release of Shen's Last Gift and the console/Steam view overhaul get fixed? When I stopped playing I saw a patch or two dealing with fixing this, as well as mods that promised to fix the bug since the patches weren't.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Speaking of improvements, is it normally for iron man games to have nearly instant load times? I started my first such game yesterday right after getting the Untouchable achievement and the load times are night and day.

are you playing on an SSD?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any recommendations for a mod that adds a basic fatigue system or push me to not use my A team every time in some other way?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Any recommendations for a mod that adds a basic fatigue system or push me to not use my A team every time in some other way?

Long War 2 adds all that and more

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Dongattack posted:

Squad Notoriety - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677096274 - works okay for this, if you don't want to go all in on LW2.

EDIT: There's also a fatigue mod, but I haven't tried it - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694223407

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Moola posted:

are you playing on an SSD?

Nope! I had load times that were between 10 and 40 seconds and then I started this iron man game and suddenly my load times for everything are instantaneous.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Long War 2 adds all that and more

My bad, should have specified that i don't wanna use LW2, i prefer the vanilla classes. The rest looks really interesting tho.

Refried Hero posted:

Squad Notoriety - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=677096274 - works okay for this, if you don't want to go all in on LW2.

EDIT: There's also a fatigue mod, but I haven't tried it - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=694223407

Thank you! I'll check them out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nope! I had load times that were between 10 and 40 seconds and then I started this iron man game and suddenly my load times for everything are instantaneous.

Are you pressing capslock?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Light Gun Man posted:

this is not a goon being snarky this actually works

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Refried Hero posted:

Ok, i managed to install both at the same time cause i'm utterly retarded, but it seems like it still works!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

See, I had been doing that, but these load times are so fast I don't have time to press it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

See, I had been doing that, but these load times are so fast I don't have time to press it.

I want to be in this reality

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Not playing War of the Chosen until this mod is confirmed compatible.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Dongattack posted:

In addition to what's been recommended, I believe Grimy's Morale Mod should still work with the vanilla game. It'll be good practice for the expansion too, since the Tiredness system seems to be pretty inspired by it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

aegof posted:

Not playing War of the Chosen until this mod is confirmed compatible.

See, I *would* consider that mod, if it were a) ever going to be on steam, and b) not explicitly designed to be sexualized.

I got curious when I saw really muscular soldiers from that, and looked into it. Was heavily disappointed when I saw more details about it and the sort of stuff the guy behind it does. There is not a single customization option for the more muscular options that does not have them half-naked, and there is no intent to ever add one.

The entire reason I wanted it was because I have a Tychus Findlay in my character pool, and it would be cool for him to be able to be appropriately huge, but if it comes at the cost of wearing a metal loving thong, then no thank you.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BlazetheInferno posted:

See, I *would* consider that mod, if it were a) ever going to be on steam, and b) not explicitly designed to be sexualized.

I got curious when I saw really muscular soldiers from that, and looked into it. Was heavily disappointed when I saw more details about it and the sort of stuff the guy behind it does. There is not a single customization option for the more muscular options that does not have them half-naked, and there is no intent to ever add one.

The entire reason I wanted it was because I have a Tychus Findlay in my character pool, and it would be cool for him to be able to be appropriately huge, but if it comes at the cost of wearing a metal loving thong, then no thank you.

I'm not seeing any problem here.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

On the other hand, if you ever wanted a Pillar Man squad you're almost set.

Now if only someone would mod in the hair+horns...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just make Tychus into a male stripper

It's what he would've wanted, just ask Jim