Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Because we can get the productivity growth simply by squeezing the plebs instead of giving them anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

bloodysabbath posted:

If we lifted the cap and made people making ~100k+ pay FICA on all their income like the rest of us plebs, Social Security would be solvent for basically ever and we could even lower retirement age to free up better jobs for younger workers.

Don't you think you'd need to raise the maximum benefit cap if you did this? I don't claim to know the math, but it seems like that wouldn't achieve the end goal you are looking for. Especially if you also lowered full retirement age for benefits.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Motronic posted:

Don't you think you'd need to raise the maximum benefit cap if you did this? I don't claim to know the math, but it seems like that wouldn't achieve the end goal you are looking for. Especially if you also lowered full retirement age for benefits.

The maximum benefit cap is going to need to be raised anyway, might as well raise it in conjunction with ending the tax cap.

People making 1 million a year generally don't need scaled up social security in the first place.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Just caught Retail Archaeology's recent walkthrough of a local Sears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR-PVBNMkDM

I don't think I've ever seen a store look and feel so....dead. Time to stick a fork in Sears.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Domestic Amuse posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a store look and feel so....dead. Time to stick a fork in Sears.

I've been to a store that had gone bankrupt and was having a fire sale. The shelves looked exactly like that.

Of course in the video there aren't the people looking for TVs at 50% off.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Domestic Amuse posted:

i dunno if this has been talked about before itt but youtuber ThisIsDanBell does some pretty good dead mall showcase videos that are less annoying than most - he really loves to do the whole vaporwave a e s t h e t i c gimmick but he has decent camerawork, knows a bit about what he's talking about, and doesn't yammer on like a jackass like most dead mall walkthroughers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWZLYa8FoM

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am currently waiting for a Sears Home Services technician to come fix my dryer. They gave me an 8am-5pm window so I had to work from home. It's now 6:23pm; supposedly he's still on the way.

I did not actually buy an appliance from Sears. I haven't been in a Sears since at least 2013. I have a home warranty and they subcontract the work out through Sears, somehow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a home warranty

And as you're finding out, most of them are about as useless as tits on a bull.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I read the advice of the home-buying thread, but decided that a home warranty was a good idea for the first year or two when we will be hard-pressed to lay out the money if we do have some major failures. In the future we'll heed the consensus that it's better to just save that money for repairs.

Edit: Still not here.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Motronic posted:

And as you're finding out, most of them are about as useless as tits on a bull.

Shockingly enough, I actually had good luck with my home warranty. About 3 weeks after I moved into my house my water heater blew up and I got a new 50 gallon tank for $75 installed instead of 800-1000+.

Most of the time though yeah, it's of dubious value.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

DeathSandwich posted:

Shockingly enough, I actually had good luck with my home warranty. About 3 weeks after I moved into my house my water heater blew up and I got a new 50 gallon tank for $75 installed instead of 800-1000+.

I didn't say never......but in general they are poo poo. Because of basic economics......they aren't going to pay out more than they cost on average because it's not a charity business.

Also, while it may have worked out for you chances are good that you have the cheapest water heater money can buy. Because that's how the fine print in those things work.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
Heres the low down on insurance:
Cost = costOfPayout*probabillityOfPayout + adminCost + profit

So it is never a good idea to take insurance, on average. The exception to this is when costOfPayout is so high as to be catastrophic, and the probabiltyOfPayout is low (since if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to afford the premiums). Or you have better knowledge of the probabilities and costs than your insurer, and you don't think they will catch you out.

For everything else you should self insure. If you can't save to self insure, ignore all the above because you are prolly hosed no matter what you do.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tehdas posted:

Heres the low down on insurance:
Cost = costOfPayout*probabillityOfPayout + adminCost + profit

So it is never a good idea to take insurance, on average. The exception to this is when costOfPayout is so high as to be catastrophic, and the probabiltyOfPayout is low (since if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to afford the premiums). Or you have better knowledge of the probabilities and costs than your insurer, and you don't think they will catch you out.

For everything else you should self insure. If you can't save to self insure, ignore all the above because you are prolly hosed no matter what you do.

You're seriously understating that whole "catastrophic payouts" thing. There's a reason why insurance is legally required in lots of different situations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Solkanar512 posted:

You're seriously understating that whole "catastrophic payouts" thing. There's a reason why insurance is legally required in lots of different situations.

Yeah. And my comments were about a very, very specific type of insurance that is known to have some of the worst insurance products in the market along with used vehicle warranties and extended warranties for electronics. These are policies sold largely on price and the perception of better coverage than they actually provide and marketed to the very risk averse or those buying/covering a thing they can barely afford to begin with. Or in the case of home warranties, often a "throw in" by the seller to make the place more "marketable" (and for the seller agent to make yet more commissions off of the sale).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motronic posted:

Yeah. And my comments were about a very, very specific type of insurance that is known to have some of the worst insurance products in the market along with used vehicle warranties and extended warranties for electronics. These are policies sold largely on price and the perception of better coverage than they actually provide and marketed to the very risk averse or those buying/covering a thing they can barely afford to begin with. Or in the case of home warranties, often a "throw in" by the seller to make the place more "marketable" (and for the seller agent to make yet more commissions off of the sale).

I wasn't responding to you though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Motronic posted:

Yea, I got a home warranty thrown in when I bought my house about 18 months ago. I used it once, and realized I was better off fixing things myself. They tried to get me to reup after it expired, and I'm amazed anyone signs up for these things. It's like $500 a year, and then $100 a visit, and has exclusions for all sorts of things. They did try to offer me a whopping $50 gift card to sign back up though.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Most retail warranties are garbage, as long as you have the money to buy a new one or the ability to live with out one.

The warranty carrier does usually bulk purchase repairs and parts so they do get a good discount on service, but it is still not a great deal.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Not saying they're a great idea but our home warranty paid for itself like 5 times over in the first year. Fridge, stove, dishwasher, a/c condenser, hot water heater, poo poo even the goddamned microwave all crapped out. The previous owner ran everything into the ground.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Xae posted:

Most retail warranties are garbage, as long as you have the money to buy a new one or the ability to live with out one.

The warranty carrier does usually bulk purchase repairs and parts so they do get a good discount on service, but it is still not a great deal.

IDK SquareTrade seems like a pretty good deal to cover a $600 phone...or $2000 laptop

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

You are a bit vague about it so i'll assume you are talking about something like 3rd party accident vehicle insurance. But that is for the other parties benefit, not yours.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tehdas posted:

You are a bit vague about it so i'll assume you are talking about something like 3rd party accident vehicle insurance. But that is for the other parties benefit, not yours.

It's also kinda for your benefit in a "don't get sued into the ground" sense.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tehdas posted:

Not having to worry about bankruptcy is a pretty cool benefit.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

reignonyourparade posted:

It's also kinda for your benefit in a "don't get sued into the ground" sense.

That's an unintended bonus, but not the reason liability insurance is mandatory. It's 100% about making sure you don't ruin someone else with a high risk activity.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

Buying a tank water heater in 201x...

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

ReidRansom posted:

Buying a house in 201x...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Noctone posted:

Having money in 201x...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
What Will Service Work Look Like Under Amazon? https://nyti.ms/2uuyWAj

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I do find it hilarious that Sears jumped up over 2-3 days because Lampert chucked good money after bad into the company and today it drop at least 50% of the gain down.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Horseshoe theory posted:

I do find it hilarious that Sears jumped up over 2-3 days because Lampert chucked good money after bad into the company and today it drop at least 50% of the gain down.

What did he do? Sorry if it's already been discussed, but this thread turned to poo poo lately so I skipped a bunch.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ziv Zulander posted:

What did he do? Sorry if it's already been discussed, but this thread turned to poo poo lately so I skipped a bunch.

He gave another $200 million secured loan to Sears and he also agreed to let Amazon sell Kenmore, which knowing Sear's customer base is probably going to cannibalize existing sales instead of generating new ones.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2017/07/21/kapolei-kmart-store-to-close-in-october.html

I don't think this store is included in the big press releases the past few months. Sears might be closing even more stores quietly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Someone eventually came to my house and fixed my Kenmore dryer

The motor wasn't actually broken

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Planet money just reran an old podcast on retailers vs amazon resellers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4xtkXrjOTCTMIuw

It's worth listening to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, Jeff Bezos just became the richest man in the world today.

Amazon is technically an "online retailer" and quasi-tech company, but this is the first time in over 60 years that the richest man in the world got his wealth through "retail."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently, Jeff Bezos just became the richest man in the world today.

Amazon is technically an "online retailer" and quasi-tech company, but this is the first time in over 60 years that the richest man in the world got his wealth through "retail."

Also of note is Amencio Ortega, co-founder of Inditex (parent company of Zara, among others) who is said to be worth $82 billion. That's manufacturing in addition to retail, but still worthy of mentioning.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
the waltons are collectively worth far more

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
My brother used to work for a woman who's dating one of the Waltons, that kind of wealth is almost incomprehensible. They'd do poo poo like take a private jet from Denver to Aspen with about as much thought as a normal person stopping by the corner shop for a soda.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
meanwhile I interview tomorrow for a job that pays household median income and kind of need to lay down from the dizzying possibility that would open up to me if I got it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Noctone posted:

My brother used to work for a woman who's dating one of the Waltons, that kind of wealth is almost incomprehensible. They'd do poo poo like take a private jet from Denver to Aspen with about as much thought as a normal person stopping by the corner shop for a soda.

I, on the other hand, can quite easily conceive of taking a private jet twice weekly. It's like taking the €50 Easyjet flight, but with actual legroom, no annoying kids in the row behind me, and somebody else to pay the bills :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

bloodysabbath posted:

If we lifted the cap and made people making ~100k+ pay FICA on all their income like the rest of us plebs, Social Security would be solvent for basically ever and we could even lower retirement age to free up better jobs for younger workers.

We will never do this, we will let the program dissolve before we do this, because this country is hosed.

Why raise the cap on people who work for a living? Raise the capital gains tax instead.