Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Munchables posted:

What would be a better scheme for my DIAMOND SLAYERS? I wanna have a gem look to em, but I couldn't figure out what paints would get that across.

For a diamond gem look I'd do something kinda like, bright vibrant blue, with bright white edge highlights, and some fading darker blue in the thicker bits.
Look into how Necron players paint those green crystals, and do something kinda like that, building up layers of edge highlights.

But if you wanted to get really crazy you could try to find some chrome paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Possible ULTRA LORDS color scheme, with additional shittly photoshopped logo

Any ideas to make it look any cleaner? Im not sure what color the skull should be in the center. I do think it captures the source pretty well for its origin.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Any ideas to make it look any cleaner? Im not sure what color the skull should be in the center. I do think it captures the source pretty well for its origin.

Now someone needs to make a llama army

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

I think the skull being yellow with the wings would look better. The grey skull draws my focus to it over the rest of the model. Personally, I'm not a fan of separating the belt from the main armor for my marines but it looks fine.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I want in on this.

I'll hard mode it although it might not be the exact color because I mostly have P3.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

This is the part I hate the most, coming up with colour schemes.

Especially when I am called the Blue Cats lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLawinator posted:

Chapter me plz.

You are the STRIKING ARCHANGELS. You must use WARPLOCK BRONZE and are banned from using DEATH WORLD FOREST.

Corrode posted:

Yo I'm the Iron Hippos, hard mode me (and keep in mind my own self-restriction against using Kantor Blue, primary colour of 90% of my dudes)

You must use KHORNE RED and are banned from using LEADBELCHER and KANTOR BLUE.

bonds0097 posted:

Hit me up with HARD MODE please.

You are the RAGING SCORPIONS. You must use XV-88 and are banned from using WARPLOCK BRONZE.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm down to participate, IN HARD MODE.

You are the ICE CHAMELEONS. You must use NAGGAROTH NIGHT and are banned from using THE FANG.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I want in on this.

I'll hard mode it although it might not be the exact color because I mostly have P3.

You are the THUNDER EATERS. You must use RAKARTH FLESH and are banned from using WAAAGH! Flesh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Now I just have to paint the fucker.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the THUNDER EATERS. You must use RAKARTH FLESH and are banned from using WAAAGH! Flesh.

Wait is this fleshtone marines

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Wait is this fleshtone marines

More of a bone-ish gray.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Now I just have to paint the fucker.

Oh drat, that is the hotness. Tell me you're going to do that purple metallic!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So how does that color scheme maker work?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the ICE CHAMELEONS. You must use NAGGAROTH NIGHT and are banned from using THE FANG.

I accept this challenge. Now I get to do an ice base!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's my preliminary paint scheme for the Omega Slayers. Any advice?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

chutche2 posted:

Yeah it seems like a motherfucker to operate.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Broken Record Talk posted:

What's a good metallic purple similar to xereus purple or naggaroth night? My non-contest custom chapter is purple and gold and I think a metallic purple would look even better.

chutche2 posted:

You click the square next to the hex code and select the color from there or enter the hex code or rgb code for each of the parts of the armor. https://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smpbeta.php

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Anyway, Thunder Eaters. When I think of the color I think bluish-white, so I think I'll use a lot of P3 Frostbite on the model with white highlights. Maybe Rakarth Flesh for the legs and a brighter blue for the helmet so it looks like sort of a gradient from the greyish white at the bottom to a blue at the top. Lightning Bolt Blue (now Teclis Blue) looks like a good choice for the helmet going by this paint guide. I might get some kind of bright metallic on the shoulder trim, like maybe a bright gold or brass.

Munchables posted:

What's a good metallic purple similar to xereus purple or naggaroth night? My non-contest custom chapter is purple and gold and I think a metallic purple would look even better.

You click the square next to the hex code and select the color from there or enter the hex code or rgb code for each of the parts of the armor. https://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smpbeta.php

Where do I find codes for different paints? Edit: nvm I see the paint range chart has them

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Munchables posted:

Forgeworld sells a clear purple that can be painted or airbrushed over a metallic basecoat.

I use clear red over silver to do my 30k Blood Angels.

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am just waiting for my bigly boss to arrive in the mail

:pcgaming:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I did some conversions on my guy. He will be a counts-as Assault Sergeant, armed with Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, and Combat Shield. Bits are a Grey Knights sword, Death Company bolt pistol, Assault Marines combat shield, and Blood Angels Upgrade kit helmetless head.

Haven't entirely decided on a full color scheme yet. I think this is definitely a good start.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
A homie from my flgs wants in on this. Can i get a second hard mode roll for him?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Forgeworld sells a clear purple that can be painted or airbrushed over a metallic basecoat.

I use clear red over silver to do my 30k Blood Angels.

So maybe the clear purple over leadbelcher? Tia

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For anyone looking this beta version of the SM Painter is even more comprehensive and includes guns and stuff.

I just might try. I got some really awesome inks that might work for that. I'll do some test runs and see how it turns out.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Yeah the smpbeta is really the one you want, I thought everyone was already using it based on the screencaps since the normal smp link is just one color.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the RAGING SCORPIONS. You must use XV-88 and are banned from using WARPLOCK BRONZE.

This seems like an appropriate color choice. Sweet.

EDIT: Saving my palette. With probably a bone white for the aquila.

http://paletton.com/palette.php?uid=30z0X0knAejfLmLjuhXsf9R-x5B

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 19, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

parabolic posted:

Interesting. I am tempted to take the straightforward approach in black and yellow, perhaps with a golden aquila:

My only concern is that there are already a ton of chapters that use a Black/Yellow color scheme to some degree (Angels of Vigilance, Marauders, Destroyers, Solar Hawks, Marines Malevolent, Lion Warriors, Doom Warriors, Libators, Lamentors, and let us not forget the literal extant Yellow Jackets). Should I think outside the box more?

With the use of Royal in your name I think using purple as a contrasting color with the black and the gold would be worth exploring. Maybe replace the gold with purple and see how it looks?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

With my required color being rakarth flesh I updated my scheme to better reflect that color. The grey still looks good, but I may switch to a lighter shade.

I think this is solid. Just a thought, but maybe explore some weathering and see if you can make it look like the armor is burned in some places? Like if it was scorched black from the fists and feet inward it might be a really compelling look.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Normally I'm not big on the belt, but with the way you also did the chest piece I think this could be really compelling.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Munchables posted:

Here's my first draft of the Diamond Slayers. Trying to go for a gem-like coloring with the daemonette hide but idk what I'm doing. My required color is Rakarth Flesh, on the shoulder trim and skull/aquila

I'm not sure I see the use for the green; I think more Daemonette Hide inside the shoulder pads would look better. Maybe to show the edges of a diamond you could go with a really harsh highlighting technique?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GreenMarine posted:

The Frenzied Skulls are a White Scars successor chapter.

Healers with their left hands, killers with their right.

This is amazing and you are awesome. Part of me is tempted to see what it would look like with the color differentiation split along the helmet and aquila as well, with maybe the skull itself in the chest being silver.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

some preliminary schemes for the death slayers :black101:

Of the three I prefer the one in the middle.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hamshot posted:

My STORM DESTROYERS, using (metallic) McCragge Blue.

This is amazing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FromTheShire posted:

First pass at some possible schemes for the SCREECHING SONS

I like the top one the most. It might look too gimmicky, but I would try to put some kind of emphasis on the grill of the helmet. Maybe make it red? You could get really goofy and make it look like an open mouth with fangs is painted over the grill.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

Vigilant Foxes scheme:

Absolutely awesome.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
First pass at Thunder Eaters. Couldn't figure out how P3 Frostbite would look in this (It's sure as hell not celestra grey like the chart says, frostbite is much ligher bluish-white) so I subbed in fenrisian grey instead for the image which is simmilar but a bit darker.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galaspar posted:

Provisional Astral Golem scheme

The name suggests a primarily stone grey scheme, and the dark brown I rolled gives a good colour for joints, pipes and chest eagle. Helmet and pads then need to be bright for contrast, and can reflect the starlight theme of the name, hence the yellow.

I think the gold clashes pretty heavily with the gray and brown. I like the idea of using the brown in the soft areas, but what about using a more blue or white contrasting color?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

berzerkmonkey posted:

Astral Krakens scheme:

Iconography:

I found the logo on a search for inspiration - all my krakens were coming out like dongs with tentacles. It was listed as clip art ("Tribal kraken tattoo") but I can't find it linked to any artist. I'm kind of torn about using it, even though this is really just a one-time thing...

This is amazing. You are amazing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

First pass at Thunder Eaters.

That's really cool. I like the subtle gradiation, and haven't seen that before. Maybe put the gold on the aquila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really cool. I like the subtle gradiation, and haven't seen that before. Maybe put the gold on the aquila?

Yeah gold on the aquila would be good. It's actually going to be P3 Brass Balls instead of Gold but that didn't look right in the painter.

• Locked thread