Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

they make a lot of rly good nature documentaries

whenever Attenborough dies or retires they'll not have a purpose anymore

Oh yeah, they did Planet Earth... I apologize for having besmirched the honor of the Jimmy Savile Memorial Krazy Kidsex Klub with my callous remarks.

Lumpy the Cook has issued a correction as of 22:59 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's dead, Lumpy.

e: Nice edit, did you not actually realise he's dead? Because that would explain a lot of your posts so far

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Jul 18, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I never thought of myself as particularly invested in public broadcasting but "the BBC is literally a wing of NAMBLA" is such a hot take I'm forced to a defensive stance almost by default

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Why do you feel such an urge to defend nambla?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just think they produce some good content!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

I just think they produce some good content!

NAMBLA produces good content?

:yikes:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

NAMBLA produces good content?

:yikes:

Yeah dude their BBC subsidiary produces some real good documentaries

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked episode 7 of Planet Earth, the one about Sparta

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crane Fist is just a BBC watching, Catholic, Penn State alumni who's really tired of people besmirching the names of good institutions over a few minor misunderstandings.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah dude their BBC subsidiary produces some real good documentaries

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Honestly, what was the last worthwhile thing the BBC has even? All I can think of is Walking With Dinosaurs and that was in the 90s. Definitely not enough solid content to make up for their many, many, many sexual assaults on women and children.

was Jeeves and Wooster BBC? those are pretty good

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Guy Goodbody posted:

Crane Fist is just a BBC watching, Catholic, Penn State alumni who's really tired of people besmirching the names of good institutions over a few minor misunderstandings.

JoePa did nothing wrong.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

But seriously, name one period of history where the English posh class aren't loving children. It's really unfair to single out a few decades at one TV station.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
joepa told those boys to hustle back into the showers and take one for the team. man was a legend.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wrong, bitch

I'm a Branch Davidian

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Jul 19, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's go back to the Corbyn mixtape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidIzOPERp8

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay seriousposting for a minute here: men like Saville were a systemic problem, and their crimes were normalised and covered up by failures on every level of society. The problem now is that rather than giving an honest assessment of how things got so hosed up, Saville is only ever brought up in bad faith by evil shitheads to attack an institution they hate (the BBC) while exonerating and whitewashing away the culpability of institutions they like (the police, the right-wing press, Thatcher's government)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t4-zDem1Sk

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So any time the BBC is mentioned and someone goes 'b-b-b-but SAVILLE!' it's safe to assume they're a middle-aged home counties fascist who clutches their purse when they see refugees on the news

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crane Fist posted:

So any time the BBC is mentioned and someone goes 'b-b-b-but SAVILLE!' it's safe to assume they're a middle-aged home counties fascist who clutches their purse when they see refugees on the news

Didn't the BBC also cover up terrorism in Ireland?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

No? They consistently resisted govt pressure to not report on the troubles

here you go

e: gently caress it I was going to post some more links but it's too loving irritating while phoneposting, do your own research and come at me with something

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jul 19, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also that's a p loving vague allegation, might need to be a bit more specific

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I love that the simple "bbc is full of pedos, pass it along" troll actually netted a bunch of people.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Crane Fist posted:

Okay seriousposting for a minute here: men like Saville were a systemic problem, and their crimes were normalised and covered up by failures on every level of society. The problem now is that rather than giving an honest assessment of how things got so hosed up, Saville is only ever brought up in bad faith by evil shitheads to attack an institution they hate (the BBC) while exonerating and whitewashing away the culpability of institutions they like (the police, the right-wing press, Thatcher's government)

The BBC is bad and poo poo for many reasons, of which covering up Savile's abuse was but one. I mean look at the loving state of them these days, they've been invaded by management dipshits and marketized and dumbed down to the point where a once mighty cultural institution struggles to produce the same pap that the commercial channels do, and to the detriment of the quality programming they were once known for, and their current affairs reporting is gunshy, risk-averse and cringingly deferential to the worst cunts in the world.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah they basically got New Labour'd and it sucks

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

They film Michael Palin doing things so I like them

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Also Bruce Parry who started out as a royal marine and now does ayahuasca on a semi-regular basis

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So far I've seen celebrities, goons, every news site, thousands of verified twitter randos, and the dictionary take turns swinging at all these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who, but... aside from 5 or 6 twitter trolls (two of which had their tweet deleted faster than I could view the replies) and this guy, I haven't actually seen any of these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who.

Just like all the furious anger over the black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars that existed in a few twitter troll accounts and Stormfront

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So far I've seen celebrities, goons, every news site, thousands of verified twitter randos, and the dictionary take turns swinging at all these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who, but... aside from 5 or 6 twitter trolls (two of which had their tweet deleted faster than I could view the replies) and this guy, I haven't actually seen any of these frothing mad misogynist nerds angry about the female Dr. Who.

I'm starting to think that the massive horde of sexist Dr. Who fanboy geeks that all these people are swinging at isn't actually real and they're all just posturing (and, ironically, working to further enrich a company of sex criminals in the process)

It's the press doing free marketing for big corporate properties now, since the black stormtrooper in Star Wars and female Ghostbusters. Because "internet trolls" is a wholly unquantifiable number and the people on Twitter or Youtube is like, millions upon millions, it's an inherently unquantifiable value of exactly how many people actually are stating these views, and simply living with the reality that on a planet with literal billions of people that of course there are going to be a handful with inane, delusional ideas like a black Stormtrooper ruins Star Wars (they're all clones of a dude with Maori blood, so lol) yet on platforms like Twitter or Youtube are given equal space to "OMG!!! NEW STAR WARS LOOK HYPE!!!!" and there's simply no way to really get your head around just how many Star Wars boycotters there are compared to the vast millions happy to see a new Star Wars movie, so it's easy to point out "Shocker! These Twitter Trolls Are PISSED About Black Star Wars!" and get people angry at some formless mass of people that have no real political or economic power.

One can acquire social capital for "dunking" or "mic dropping" on said "trolls" and personally profits from displaying how so not racist they are, and everyone not in this formless mass gets to feel good that they're better than whomever is supposedly mad about a black guy in Star Wars. It's inherently masturbatory and empty, just as [url="
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/cant-bring-us-down?utm_term=.buvAa9oDYY#.qjeMX5E7gg"]12 Ways You Can Support The New "Ghostbusters" Movie Against The Hate Campaign[/url]

quote:

1. Go See The drat Movie

We've still got a little while longer, but this is probably the most important step. This is capitalism, and this movie's going to be judged by its ability to rake in the kind of cold hard cash studio execs love to roll around in like this cat. If it falters even a little in the box office, there will be dozens of thinkpieces about what this ~means~ for lady-led franchises. And even more than that, it'd make the trolls way too happy. We can't have that. We need to crush their dreams and make this the most whopping of successes.

11. Give in to the pressures of capitalism and buy the poo poo out of the merch and tie-in foodstuff.

Capitalism, amirite??? Such a drag! But also the way that Hollywood proves that things are worthy! If you've got the cash, it really will help the case if merchandise surrounding a lady-starring Ghostbusters goes wild.

Literally spending your hard earned money on a lovely Paul Feig comedy is now a feminist act. Advertising is no longer about reccomending good products for people to spend hard earned money on, (okay, it never was to begin with) but now it's about giving people the feeling that they are being heroic and standing against some injustice by spending money on frivolous luxuries like movie tickets and children's toys. It's a nightmarish and inherently dystopian future where big corporate has completely absorbed revolutionary feminist thought for their own profits. There will always be mad misogynist failsons getting the spotlight, no matter how irrelevant they are, so "journalists" can pretend to be martyrs bringing about a more just society and big corporate can line their pockets even further.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

I thought the stormtroopers were clonetroops+conscripts or something

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Munchables posted:

I thought the stormtroopers were clonetroops+conscripts or something

you're right but point being this was before social media and nobody cared boba was nonwhite when the prequels came out, or if they did, we sure as hell didn't hear about it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
#woke #brands: Capitalism, amirite??? Such a drag!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

Just like all the furious anger over the black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars that existed in a few twitter troll accounts and Stormfront
i remember when Revenge of the Sith came out, there was right-wing backlash about how it was anti-bush and anti-war. people who countered my "nerdy thinkpieces are a recent phenomenon" were right. i'm not afraid to admit defeat

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dreddout posted:

#woke #brands: Capitalism, amirite??? Such a drag!

full communism meow

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

please don't defend pedo island (england)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

of course the BBC is a safe haven for depraved pedophiles, every major british institution is (or at least the ones that are bad at hiding it). see also: parliament, the Football Association

I have to share that with my Russian language class mates. Because yes, all those do have genders in Russian.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

I have to share that with my Russian language class mates. Because yes, all those do have genders in Russian.
spanish also has genders for desk and chair (both female). most languages that aren't english do

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

get that OUT of my face posted:

spanish also has genders for desk and chair (both female). most languages that aren't english do

Only did Spanish in middle school, it was for only one semester and didn't meet every day, and our teacher sucked.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Realized a joke I was going to make was in bad taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
wtf