Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

Not surprisingly, he is a huge trump fan...

He's a good guy just real, real naive and dumb.

I'm kinda legitimately curious as to how he'll feel about trump after he's totally underwater in all those mortgages in a few years when the economy naturally fluctuates down and trump's policies can't deal / make it worse.

I mean I assume it's just going to be blamed on obama or something somehow since people are incapable of self-reflection :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

potatoducks posted:

What do seasonal employees do during the offseason? Work a different job with a different season?

I can imagine that a lot of summer jobs are filled by students. But what about things like ski instructors, tax preparers, holiday workers, etc?

I assume that most of them can't just not work during the offseason.

Ski instructor- mtb/hillwalking guide- ski instructor isn't uncommon and would easily fill a year assuming you stay in the same country. You can always travel to the opposite hemisphere and offer your services, Australia and NZ both have decent slopes, South America can be an option too.

Spring to autumn could easily be filled with agriculture too, lambing, fruit picking etc. A lot of these jobs involve being in the right place at the right time though. Then there are the various landscaping/gardening jobs that pick up in this period too, I could easily see a ski instructor also being an arborist. Many of these jobs don't appeal to students as they'd rather be doing an internship and/or not doing manual labour.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Remember when McDonalds published a sample budget for employees?

Just pay $600 in rent, EASY

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm the $20 you're spending on health insurance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“canyoneer”" post="“474495856”"]
Remember when McDonalds published a sample budget for employees?

Just pay $600 in rent, EASY
[/quote]

I had roommates until I got married and never paid more than $500 for rent. McDonalds has never been a job where you could afford an apartment by yourself. A trailer maybe.

The 1st job/2nd job seems worse. I guess no one is going to hire unskilled labor full time anymore because of health insurance.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was going to be the zero dollar heating bill but then decided to be the conspicuously absent food budget instead.

Also I don't want to pay a notary who performed a service for me, I kinda figured she'd do it for free since my family hires her for other stuff.

Title of this one says it all: Thinking about not paying credit cards any longer.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had roommates until I got married and never paid more than $500 for rent. McDonalds has never been a job where you could afford an apartment by yourself. A trailer maybe.

The 1st job/2nd job seems worse. I guess no one is going to hire unskilled labor full time anymore because of health insurance.

I'm the idea that unskilled labor got 40 a week before healthcare reform

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like I missed the mushroom discussion. This isn't so much BWM but more like bad money. If you ever need to identify the correct type of blue mushrooms you just check them against the ones on the back of the $50 note in New Zealand.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Derail bird looking good there

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Every country's money is cooler than the US.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I know I could google this but I'm lazy. Did mcdonalds pre populate those fields? Some of them seem wonky

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Also I don't want to pay a notary who performed a service for me, I kinda figured she'd do it for free since my family hires her for other stuff.

I find it funny that he came to a forum full of lawyers to ask if he could stiff somebody on legal advice, and the one lawyer that defended him is from a province where notaries don't provide legal advice.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Virtue posted:

I know I could google this but I'm lazy. Did mcdonalds pre populate those fields? Some of them seem wonky

Yes. http://www.nasdaq.com/article/mcdonalds-sample-budget-sheet-is-laughable-but-its-implications-are-not-cm261920

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Whoever mentioned the financial independence subreddit found a goldmine

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/6o53iq/so_many_mistakes_25_yo_seeking_redemption_hope/ posted:

So many mistakes. 25 y/o seeking redemption, hope, steps towards FIER

Hi, all. I'm 25 years old, three years out of college. I am feeling almost unbearable self loathing right now, and would like some advice in an FIER context.
I graduated from a fancy school with a degree in Sociology. I didn't think too much about career, the value of money, retirement, etc, and started a job as an administrator at a pretty big nonprofit institution in a HCOL city very close to my hometown. The pay, environment, and benefits were better than I had hoped. I was starstruck by city living, and was taken in by a certain kind of "live now" mindset, spending too much money on fancy food and drink, moving in and out of my parents house, taking my long-term, kind, practical girlfriend totally for granted. I was going to be a fiction writer, a blogger, or an artist, and began an arts degree.
Flash forward to a year ago. Gf moves away to medical school, tells me that she does not see a future with me.
Suddenly, here I am. I'm halfway through my useless degree. I'm a glorified entry-level secretary, single, living with my parents, and my neighbors and friends are getting engaged, graduating from professional school, preparing to buy apartments with the money that they have saved up, together.
I stumbled upon MMM and FIER a year ago and have barely implemented the mindset, saving 1/16th of what I should have. Despite my undergraduate degree, I have a repetitive job, no skills, no aptitude for technology or math. I procrastinate, feel like my work and existence is totally meaningless, am watching all of my good fortune waste away. There's no opportunity for advancement in my workplace, and I honestly feel so bad at my job, I can't even imagine working in a higher octane office setting. FIER seems to be the meaning of life at this point.
When I think about what I had and lost: loving girlfriend, free housing, the opportunity to save a huge stash of money, and read this sub, I fall into total despair. I had it so much better than so many people. I should be engaged, with 70-90K in investments right now.
Desperately seeking a way forward so I can turn my life around, I've recently been looking into nursing school. But the degree would deplete my small savings and then some (loans,) which seems the opposite of a FIER move. I'd be 27 - 28 when I finish, which means I'll have burned through even more investing years, and could only then begin paying off loans. Do you think this path would be worth it if it solved the cycle of inaction, self-pitying, despair?

The top-voted response is "lol"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

monster on a stick posted:

Dear Reddit, I'm a big fat loser pity meeeee

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

FI has some material sometimes but most of the gravy is in the daily threads between the posts about podcasts you'll never listen to, situations you'll never find yourself in, people asking for advice about real estate or managing tenants, and somebody asking if they make too much to use a Roth IRA.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Dear Reddit, I'm a big fat loser pity meeeee

I wonder which goon it was

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I wonder which goon it was

Don't doxx me, plz.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm the average 25 year old with 80k in savings

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

One of the comments:

quote:

Clean up your resume and find a new office job. There's going to be so many places out there that are interested in your skills and background with both soc and art.

When I think of in demand careers my mind immediately goes to "sociology + art".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

When I think of in demand careers my mind immediately goes to "sociology + art".

I just happen to be laying the groundwork for a Bay Area startup that is totally going to shake up the way we draw metaphors for social mores!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

John Smith posted:

And this is why I am far superior to TB. I may be an extremist, but at least I have the self-awareness that I am one. Whereas TB is simply a crazy person.

I only don't have any (or at least negligible) compassion for strangers. Which is a perfectly justifiable and logical position, even if socially frowned upon.
Yea, I wonder which race...

Unironically, I would pay good money to have drinks with both of you, while playing CAH.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just happen to be laying the groundwork for a Bay Area startup that is totally going to shake up the way we draw metaphors for social mores!

Old school buddy tried to do that as an art project

The vc's were like, "why don't you get that out of your system and come back to us"

He didn't

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Why do people who went into large amounts of debt for useless degrees consider going into more debt for even more degrees? The lesson should be staring them right in the face.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

oRenj9 posted:

Why do people who went into large amounts of debt for useless degrees consider going into more debt for even more degrees? The lesson should be staring them right in the face.

Pay for a PhD? :downs:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The sunk cost fallacy is a hell of a thing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So I was on vacation last week and this thread got LITTTT!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

Unironically, I would pay good money to have drinks with both of you, while playing CAH.
Fun is sub-optimal.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Wells Fargo: Keeping Banks Classy

quote:

Wells Fargo has a long history of using arbitration to evade legal scrutiny. In fact, for the past six years, Wells has tried to use arbitration to block a class-action suit that every other major bank in America long ago settled. This has not only delayed restitution for regular customers, but revealed exactly why Elizabeth Warren's brainchild Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) moved to eliminate class-action bans through arbitration clauses earlier this month: It hands big banks a license to steal with impunity.

The case centers on something called debit card reordering. Let's say you have $100 in your bank account, and you make three purchases, costing $20, $30, and $110. Under Wells Fargo account guidelines, the bank can charge you a $35 overdraft fee for taking out more than you have in your account. But by reordering the transactions from highest to lowest, putting the $110 charge first, the bank could charge three separate overdraft fees, one for each attempt to draw insufficient funds. Simply by altering the transaction order, Wells Fargo could make an additional $70.

Multiply that by millions of customers, and you're talking about serious money.

This was a common scheme in the banking industry for years, affecting the poorest customers—those most likely to overdraw their account. A 2014 federal report showed that approximately 8 percent of the US customer base paid nearly 74 percent of all overdraft fees. High fees are one reason the poor often stay out of traditional banks, but lack of access to banking also imposes large burdens from check-cashing and payday lending. In short, it's very expensive to be poor in America.

Reordering has been ruled deceitful in federal court. Starting around 2008, consumers filed national class-action lawsuits against more than 30 different banks over these bogus overdraft fees. The cases got consolidated in 2009, in the Miami federal courtroom of US district court Judge James King. Most banks eventually settled with the plaintiffs: Bank of America agreed to pay $410 million in 2011; JPMorgan Chase promised $162 million in 2013. To date, banks have shelled out $1.1 billion in restitution for overdraft abuses.

Wells Fargo was the only one to keep fighting.

quote:

If the bank does prevail in moving the case to arbitration, people who got screwed and charged extra fees would have to pursue overdraft complaints by themselves. They would be at a major disadvantage: A recent study by the non-profit Level Playing field found that Wells Fargo customers have won only seven arbitration cases in the past eight years, out of just 48 that actually got to a final hearing. And just to pursue the case, consumers would have to spend heavily on legal representation and hearings. As federal judge Richard Posner of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals once wrote in a ruling, "The realistic alternative to a class action is not 17 million individual suits, but zero individual suits, as only a lunatic or a fanatic sues for $30."

In this sense, arbitration can stop people from enjoying their legal rights, effectively allowing corporations to overturn the law by making it unenforceable. Deepak Gupta, who argued the Concepcion case in 2011, calls arbitration "a basic threat to our democracy."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
When I was in banking we justified reordering because the largest check is almost always the most important (rent, car payment) and therefore the one you can least afford to bounce.

But no one pays their rent or car note with a debit card so I guess Wells Fargo dropped even that weak pretense. Also, if you’re not going to bounce a transaction there’s no good reason to reorder.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theHUNGERian posted:

Don't think it would work out. While I can turn "off" in real life, I don't think TB can do that. It would just devolve into a shouting match, without making it through even a single card game.

If you are looking for opposites, you can just turn up at any left&right-wing riots. Heard that many universities are hosting nowadays. Bring your own combat helmet, baseball bat not provided.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SquirrelFace posted:

he is a huge trump fan...

He's a good guy
:thunk:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Half the fun of Cards Against Humanity is watching someone's weird libertarian acquaintance get pissy when their extremely literal answers get passed over

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

Half the fun of Cards Against Humanity is watching someone's weird libertarian acquaintance get pissy when their extremely literal answers get passed over
Please don't doxx me.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Kareem posted:

When I was in banking we justified reordering because the largest check is almost always the most important (rent, car payment) and therefore the one you can least afford to bounce.

That is some lovely, lovely logic that is nothing but a weaselly excuse to gently caress your customers. The only objective way to order the transactions is in the exact sequence that they were received. And I don't mean "lol our system just happens to receive big transactions first heh heh". Those loving banks can measure microseconds when they want to charge interest—they can well handle marking time stamps from POS terminals.

tl;dr: gently caress that noise and gently caress banks

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

But no one pays their rent or car note with a debit card so I guess Wells Fargo dropped even that weak pretense. Also, if you’re not going to bounce a transaction there’s no good reason to reorder.

Eh, no, you can set up your rent and car payments to use automatic bill pay (which is a debit transaction if set up through your bank) and I've heard a lot of landlords are now taking credit cards (which means debit cards as well), judging from the people I know who don't seem to recall the last time they used a check.

I also wonder if that Vice article looked into how much the participants in the class action suit actually received once the legal fees were deducted. Unless you are lead plaintiff you usually get squat. They may be better off suing in small claims court.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
BWM: buying a house in Canada

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Weatherman posted:

That is some lovely, lovely logic that is nothing but a weaselly excuse to gently caress your customers. The only objective way to order the transactions is in the exact sequence that they were received. And I don't mean "lol our system just happens to receive big transactions first heh heh". Those loving banks can measure microseconds when they want to charge interest—they can well handle marking time stamps from POS terminals.

tl;dr: gently caress that noise and gently caress banks

Transaction timestamp works great in theory but "the big check is probably the most important" makes sense. If your bank processed someone's ATM transaction at a "massage parlor" first and bounced the rent check that came in 5 milliseconds later, you would be sued.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eh, no, you can set up your rent and car payments to use automatic bill pay (which is a debit transaction if set up through your bank) and I've heard a lot of landlords are now taking credit cards (which means debit cards as well), judging from the people I know who don't seem to recall the last time they used a check.

I also wonder if that Vice article looked into how much the participants in the class action suit actually received once the legal fees were deducted. Unless you are lead plaintiff you usually get squat. They may be better off suing in small claims court.

It's not about the money, it's the deterrent effect on the defendant. Class action lawsuits can cause actual financial damages and make a company think twice, because the $30 damage is now multiplied by a million, which will (hopefully) cost them more than their bad behaviour. This isn't always how it works out (my favorite being Sony giving their customers $0.50 coupons in exchange for intentionally installing malware on their customers computers) but it's the intent.

As the vice article mentions, no one except a crazy person or a very angry person will sue over $30. Requiring forced arbitration all but removes the ability of the aggrieved party to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Just add user-specified priority to checks and use that + timestamp to order things.