Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

TROLL KING! And he even has his little tusk crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Don't think it was Khorne specifically, it was all of the Chaos Gods. He got the curse/gift after he made a boast that he could best any foe in their name, so the Chaos Gods being cheeky bastards went "yeah sounds good to us, prove it, otherwise we're going to torture your soul for eternity."

I'm curious what magic/quest items they'll give him, since in table top, he didn't really have any. In the lore he's got a magic boat that lets him set sail to anywhere in search of greater challenges, which could be reflected in the campaign (plus to navel movement etc.). That's roughly about it for him.

Throgg at the least got a magic crown that's stuck to one of his tusks.

According to Steam, Wulfrick can call in his magic flying boat as a "wind spell". The animation for that is going to be hilarious.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Do the models on your legendary lords change when you give them new items (I know it changes with themounts)? Because I wish they would implement that somhow.

I know medieval 2 had the system where upgraded units changed looks. It was one of those things that made me really love my army.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ughhhh posted:

Do the models on your legendary lords change when you give them new items (I know it changes with themounts)? Because I wish they would implement that somhow.

I know medieval 2 had the system where upgraded units changed looks. It was one of those things that made me really love my army.

No they don't, but with such wildly different models between lords it's a far shot

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I didn't catch the stream but apparently mammoths are now the biggest unit in the game? I'm excited to see them in action!!!

Wulfrik sounds strong as hell, a Net spell, can mount a mammoth, bound wind spell, strong campaign bonuses. Gonna be hard to pick who to play, Throgg does look incredible though.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

I didn't catch the stream but apparently mammoths are now the biggest unit in the game? I'm excited to see them in action!!!

Wulfrik sounds strong as hell, a Net spell, can mount a mammoth, bound wind spell, strong campaign bonuses. Gonna be hard to pick who to play, Throgg does look incredible though.

Stream is tomorrow I think

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Where will this stream be?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Dongattack posted:

Where will this stream be?

Twitch I think

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

madmac posted:

According to Steam, Wulfrick can call in his magic flying boat as a "wind spell". The animation for that is going to be hilarious.

It better be on par with Brutal Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRZc6mbJUZk

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The literal earthly representatives of the Chaos Gods are a steaming pile of turds compared to some buff dudes with elefants.

Come on CA.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

The literal earthly representatives of the Chaos Gods are a steaming pile of turds compared to some buff dudes with elefants.

Come on CA.

What? When did they introduce Nurgle specific units?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

madmac posted:

"Toot toot!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mans posted:

I mean, yeah, they are.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
GW doesnt deserve CA

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the best elf-killing army, annoyingly, is High Elves

elves' chief weakness is their small, expensive units of just-as-arrowable-as-your-average-human infantry. High Elven archers have the longest range/highest accuracy bows in the game. Dark Elven crossbows have a little armor piercing, and Glade Guard have a selection of weird tricks they can put into play, but in a straight-up competitive elfmassacre your big winner is going to be the High Elves, courtesy of no extra bells and whistles being required to arrow an elf to death.

a Skaven army optimized for the job whose siege engines decide to neither explode or kill a quarter of the skaven army instead could, hypothetically, outpace them, but this has never existed and also will never exist.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Im kinda sad that we didn't get valkia as the 3rd LL.

Chaos Valkyrie

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I was chatting with a co-worker today about this game. I was mentioning how I love to use tons of Zombies when playing vampire counts when it hit me- I am going to be hopelessly addicted to Skaven. They will have amazing chaff in the Skavenslaves, but unlike the Vampires they will also have my true love in Total War available to them: completely unreasonable numbers of artillery.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

We're getting Free-LC with Norsca that adds something to an existing faction I thought? It'd make sense to see some Warriors of Chaos additions alongside Norsca. They're already behind the Beastmen, and now the Norscans look leagues better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zasze posted:

Chaos Valkyrie

Or second, I'd have preferred her to Throgg. But yeah, best guess is that if we ever see Valkia she'll be with the Khorne faction in Total Warhammer 3.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In terms of Legendary Lords I think WE are the most likely as they only have two right now.

Edit: I would almost be willing to bet that we will get Valkia for the third game.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zasze posted:

Chaos Valkyrie

When Valkia shows up, she is totally going to make Archaon look a total lame-rear end wimp (and there will be a special rule for Sigvald that he can't approach like a bar of movement near her)

Mans posted:

Come on CA.

power creep is a hell of a thing

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

dead comedy forums posted:

When Valkia shows up, she is totally going to make Archaon look a total lame-rear end wimp (and there will be a special rule for Sigvald that he can't approach like a bar of movement near her)

Hey, she could always use a spare shield.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pendent posted:

I was chatting with a co-worker today about this game. I was mentioning how I love to use tons of Zombies when playing vampire counts when it hit me- I am going to be hopelessly addicted to Skaven. They will have amazing chaff in the Skavenslaves, but unlike the Vampires they will also have my true love in Total War available to them: completely unreasonable numbers of artillery.

:same:

To quote the Battletech TCG flavor text: If brute force doesn't solve the problem, then you're not using enough .

One problem with chaff armies right now is even seemingly 'expendable' troops still affect the overall morale of the army. I'd like to see it so that expendable troops don't affect this anymore, so a canny player could theoretically throw hordes of chaff at a target to wear it down. This would also help make those types of units more relevant late game as well.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Norsca totally does punk WoC, even though we haven't seen much more than some screenshots and a few blurbs. That's how shoddy WoC is right now.

I mean, they already had Beastmen as "Chaos, but better", and now there's Norsca for the one-two punch. Archaon getting poo poo on by game mechanics seems oddly lore-appropriate, but in terms of gameplay? Kind of depressing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Archaon getting poo poo on by game mechanics seems oddly lore-appropriate, but in terms of gameplay? Kind of depressing.

I think CA is in on the joke so characters like Valkia et al will be ridiculously competent instead of the failchosen :buddy:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Panfilo posted:

:same:

To quote the Battletech TCG flavor text: If brute force doesn't solve the problem, then you're not using enough .

One problem with chaff armies right now is even seemingly 'expendable' troops still affect the overall morale of the army. I'd like to see it so that expendable troops don't affect this anymore, so a canny player could theoretically throw hordes of chaff at a target to wear it down. This would also help make those types of units more relevant late game as well.

They just need to make it a unit trait.

Expendable: Units morale and fleeing does not affect other units morale (or however that would be worded).
Units which would have it: Zombies, Peasants, Goblins

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

We're getting Free-LC with Norsca that adds something to an existing faction I thought? It'd make sense to see some Warriors of Chaos additions alongside Norsca. They're already behind the Beastmen, and now the Norscans look leagues better.

If that's the case I'd say either Chaos or Middenland (with Nordland having access to most of the same stuff, they are Ulricans too right, and into bows and hunting rather than crossbows and guns?)

Gonkish posted:

Norsca totally does punk WoC, even though we haven't seen much more than some screenshots and a few blurbs. That's how shoddy WoC is right now.

I mean, they already had Beastmen as "Chaos, but better", and now there's Norsca for the one-two punch. Archaon getting poo poo on by game mechanics seems oddly lore-appropriate, but in terms of gameplay? Kind of depressing.

Add the chaos hordes for a complete knockout. Though CA would have to dig pretty deep to turn them into a player faction maybe. Though I find the idea of fantasy Turks/Sarmatians/Scythians from literal demon steppes a fun concept (I also enjoy all- or mostly-mounted armies, Turks, Parthians and such being my favorite armies in past Total Wars) and seeing what they are doing here with Norsca when they don't have much to go on from the tabletop game I am excited to see what they would conjure up for the other human factions (yes it is me, I always play human characters in roleplaying games).

A possible final form for the WoC would be to remake them into a kind of Chaos Undivided faction that both has its own roster of units (the heavily armored chaos warriors in various versions) but also can gain access to other units through actions in the campaign, gaining the favor of the Chaos Gods and your relations/dealings with or conquest of other chaos-affiliated factions (Norsca, Kurgan/Chaos Hordes and Chaos Dwarves).

The Chaos campaign would then be all about wandering about the far reaches of the world, Chaos Wastes, Eastern Steppes, Norsca, wherever the Chaos Dwarves live (east?) and gathering an ever increasing and diverse army with which to invade and conquer the world.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 19, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ravenfood posted:

So, what happens to the Varg and Skaeling now? Presumably they'll get the new roster, but I'm actually kind of sad they missed the chance to make Surtha Ek a separate start with +chariot bonuses.

Apparently Surtha Ek has pleased the Dark Gods of the Memes, and he'll start the game with his chariot mount unlocked.

E: vvv Sorry, Archaeon will always be the nerd I get to dunk on before wrapping up my campaigns. In fact I'm modding my game to replace his startpos file with the far more intimidating and swarthy Surtha Ek. vvv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 19, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the way you salvage Archaeon in the grand finale Demons of Chaos expansion is, with the split into four factions, each with their own rosters, he gets the best of the lot.

Warriors of Chaos to footslog, hellcannons to be his backfield, Pink Horrors to be his archers, Demons Riding Other, Larger, More Aggressive Demons as cavalry, Daemon Princes as standby monsters, he could legit be made threatening! but to do that you'd have to make the rest of the chaos roster not suck first

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe also give Archaeon when he comes to mess with everybody max stats and everything unlocked.

Maybe after he goes down the first time his horse makes it's transformation into this or something.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Triskelli posted:

Apparently Surtha Ek has pleased the Dark Gods of the Memes, and he'll start the game with his chariot unlocked.

That's pretty funny. So now his all horseman/chariot armies are not a fluke of the engine, but canon.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Apparently Wulfrik will unlock progressively more powerful breath attacks with each new monster killing quest he completes

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Skaven seem really fun, are there any novels or comics featuring them as actual characters with their silly way of speak-saying?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Deakul posted:

Skaven seem really fun, are there any novels or comics featuring them as actual characters with their silly way of speak-saying?

There's the Thanquol trilogy which is a bunch of fun. Follows one of the likely LL, the Grey Seer Thanquol, as he absolutely fucks everything up. Its pretty great.

He also appears as an antagonist in some of the Felix and Gotrek books.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe also give Archaeon when he comes to mess with everybody max stats and everything unlocked.

Maybe after he goes down the first time his horse makes it's transformation into this or something.

Honestly, this wouldn't be a bad thing. I want some wacko flying demons and dudes on magical flying disks spraying fire on dudes. I want the Khorne boyz going crazy, cutting the gently caress up out of the left flank but are officially enemy combatants to your army. I want demons that are loving crazy looking.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The true aesthetic for Chaos should be replicating thrash metal album art.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jokes posted:

Honestly, this wouldn't be a bad thing. I want some wacko flying demons and dudes on magical flying disks spraying fire on dudes. I want the Khorne boyz going crazy, cutting the gently caress up out of the left flank but are officially enemy combatants to your army. I want demons that are loving crazy looking.

I agree. I was not joking or anything. Archaeon is supposed to be the big bad guy. So I feel like he should be very powerful and hard to beat. Near impossible in a straight fight. Cause as many people have said the guy is kind of a joke right now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 19, 2017

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Any good campaign runs on YouTube?

Been watching some heir of Carthage and he's not bad but does constantly miss a lot of poo poo. I'm not asking for perfect, just a bit more competent but also with watchable personality.

Granted, those two things together can be rare on YouTube...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I agree. I was not joking or anything. Archaeon is supposed to be the big bad guy. So I feel like he should be very powerful and hard to beat. Near impossible in a straight fight. Cause as many people have said the guy is kind of a joke right now.

• Locked thread