Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Albino Squirrel posted:

His twitter handle is "shat deuces"?

He's wearing #22, and he was bad in Washington!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

Anyway, I think that talking about cap space in this way is already a bit of a move from the original discussion, which was whether the Marleau signing represented the Leafs trying to go all in or skip the rebuild or something to that effect. To say that they didn't really give anything up to sign Marleau, in the context of the conversation, is probably best taken along the lines of "they didn't trade picks or prospects for anyone." Like sure they could've gotten a comparable player to Marleau for, like, 2.5/1 or something, but burning cap space is not the same as trading futures.

We'll see if they're buying or selling at the deadline. Good that they didn't waste any assets now, but what happens when they've got a tenuous holding on a wc spot at the deadline and old man lu decides he needs another Marleau type player to push them over the edge? I would assumed restraint and patience (given their stage of the rebuild), but with the cash and term they were willing to throw was Marleau, who knows what assets might come into play.

All that said, it's pretty pointless to speculate this far out based one one dumb signing. Depending on their play next season, any number of hypotheticals couple play out. Just hard not to default to :lol:eafs give the last like 20 years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
David Pastrnak still doesn't have a new contract and it's making me angry. I'm gonna hulk out over here.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

David Pastrnak still doesn't have a new contract and it's making me angry. I'm gonna hulk out over here.

Partied too much. Never did the dishes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

He's wearing #22, and he was bad in Washington!

Didn't everyone love him in Washington at first and then they pulled a Washington in the playoffs and everyone got mad at him

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/887305848820781056

Just Pay The Man, Doug. don't let it be like PK. don't you see the similarities?! ParayKo

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/887305848820781056

Just Pay The Man, Doug. don't let it be like PK. don't you see the similarities?! ParayKo

This is basically always how it is with arbitrations though.

Nashville just re-signed Aberg, 2 years 650k/yr.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
STL have 22 other skaters signed and 7.7m in cap space. Isn't this guy good enough that they should probably be looking to sign him for 5-6 years at less money rather than dicking him around for dimes now?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Goddamn dude just shave it

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/887366360950611969

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zodijackylite posted:

STL have 22 other skaters signed and 7.7m in cap space. Isn't this guy good enough that they should probably be looking to sign him for 5-6 years at less money rather than dicking him around for dimes now?

You can only ask for 1 or 2 years in arbitration. They're probably trying to sign him long term, but there's no reason for Parayko to give them term unless there's also money in it for him.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Just sign him for 8 years at $6.8M or whatever, Doug.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I think if he's asking for 4.85 on a one year, his desires for 5+ years are not going to be too outlandish. they have pending RFAs next season in Fabbri, Jaskin, Edmundson, Sundqvist, and Bennett, and the only major UFA loss is Stastny who they're going to be able to replace for cheaper. in 19-20, they have 3 D hitting UFA and a Chris Thornburn loss to handle. they don't have a lot of cap space but they are in a good position to devote the bulk of it to the Parayko contract and still leave a bit of maneuverability at the deadline and room next year with Stastny leaving. I don't see him saying no to anything above 5 million for 5 years and they can probably end up getting him lower than that. I pulled up a list of contract comparisons on CapFriendly and that would seem to fit in with how the league values players like him. sign this man, Doug

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

As a man who has been about that bald since age 22, loving co-signed.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wamsutta posted:

I mean either Al Iafrate it up or shave it

As a pro hockey player the first option is viable

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/887450811965616128

:nsallears:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Looks like someone drove a lawn mower over the middle of his head

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Wamsutta posted:

Looks like he's been balding since 22 and took it as a sign of good luck.

P.S. Did anyone notice that he took #22 from Nick Holden?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

noshit.txt

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Sign the markov bergevin

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Looks like he's been balding since 22 and took it as a sign of good luck.

P.S. Did anyone notice that he took #22 from Nick Holden?

Yeah that was pretty expected IMO

It's going to be tough to get the mental image of a younger Shattenkirk from when he had hair out of my head and accept this new reality

Much like it was hard for me to face the fact that Stepan really fell off a cliff in the past year or two when it came to the hair department

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

stab posted:

Sign the markov bergevin

I get the feeling Markov took the way Bergevin approached the re-sign window as an insult and, as the person representing Markov is Markov, probably won't re-sign in Montreal.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I feel like Shatty is gonna get real fat in his 30s/when he retires.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Levitate posted:

Didn't everyone love him in Washington at first and then they pulled a Washington in the playoffs and everyone got mad at him

He had 14 points in 19 games during the regular season and replaced Carlson on the PP since he had been struggling. We were primed to like him!

I don't know if he regressed to the mean or what in the playoffs, but suddenly he didn't look like a puck mover anymore and he was making a lot of mistakes when pressed by Toronto's speed. He went from like 22 mins TOI to 16 in stretches. And that's on a D with a dead Karl Alzner and Brooks Orpik.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Washington was already planning the parade and engraving the Cup thanks to Shattenkirk.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Shattenkirk looked fine for long stretches but had a few brainfarts. He still made the PP very good again and that was valuable because for whatever reason Carlson just couldn't get the job done this season even though the PP has been the exact same setup for the past 5 seasons.

He'll be good in New York especially since he'll probably play with someone who isn't bad like Brooks Orpik or the corpse of Karl Alzner. He was very good alongside Nate Schmidt, for instance (until Schmidt was benched because he wasn't a grizzled vet lol).

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 19, 2017

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Oklahoma City Thunder confirmed they won't have jersey ads this year. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts of course, but if even a popular and high profile NBA team can't get good money to sell out hopefully it means this whole bullshit idea dies a quick death.

Also while basketball players don't wear any equipment, the NBA league wide eliminated home and away jerseys and is simply going with home team picks, away team wears contrast. Would love to see more color vs color in hockey.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

really thought that was roger federer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Oklahoma City Thunder confirmed they won't have jersey ads this year. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts of course, but if even a popular and high profile NBA team can't get good money to sell out hopefully it means this whole bullshit idea dies a quick death.

lol if you think ads on jerseys aren't coming to every league sooner than later

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

The NBA is calling this a three year "experiment" but considering teams are getting $8-10M a year it's going to be announced as a huge success and rolled out league wide afterwards. I imagine the NHL will shift to ads next year. It's no coincidence that all the Adidas jerseys were redesigned to remove piping and leave large blank patches over the collarbone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ElwoodCuse posted:

B-b-b-but the purity of my game :byodood:

DJExile posted:

It's this. And with the impending burst of the TV bubble, that will only accelerate the implementation. Ads on uniforms are coming, but if they are going to do it, a small patch in the corner is fine. The AHL already does it.

Though it's a matter of time before the big four go down the soccer route of jersey ads, too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I go to a whole bunch of ECHL games and to be honest the ads aren't nearly as distracting as you might think, although it can vary by team.

pls come back, tiny goaltender Jeff Lerg. you owned :sigh:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DJExile posted:

I go to a whole bunch of ECHL games and to be honest the ads aren't nearly as distracting as you might think, although it can vary by team.

Counter-argument --

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

Counter-argument --

hahahaha yeah we got those too a year or two ago. the on-ice ads are a whole other story.

E: gently caress it, i'm posting the Fort Wayne arena pictures again.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 19, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also while basketball players don't wear any equipment, the NBA league wide eliminated home and away jerseys and is simply going with home team picks, away team wears contrast. Would love to see more color vs color in hockey.

It's not just that, every team has at least four jerseys, that are all just used whenever. NBA teams also now have four logos, with no true primary logo any more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

hahahaha yeah we got those too a year or two ago. the on-ice ads are a whole other story.

E: gently caress it, i'm posting the Fort Wayne arena pictures again.

My problem with on-ice ads? How busy the ice looks :ughh:

And I say this as a racing fan.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Shattenkirk looked fine for long stretches but had a few brainfarts. He still made the PP very good again and that was valuable because for whatever reason Carlson just couldn't get the job done this season even though the PP has been the exact same setup for the past 5 seasons.

He'll be good in New York especially since he'll probably play with someone who isn't bad like Brooks Orpik or the corpse of Karl Alzner. He was very good alongside Nate Schmidt, for instance (until Schmidt was benched because he wasn't a grizzled vet lol).

He'll probably end up paired with Staal somehow and take the blame for that tire fire

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah, that is the NASCAR of ice, basically.

If you're at the game it's not nearly as noticeable, but holy hell on TV it's a whole other story.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah I'd prefer they slathered the jerseys in ads before they do that to the ice. I've been to ECHL and junior games where the puck just disappears at certain times as it crosses a darker logo. Considering one of the biggest criticisms of the sport for new fans is the difficulty of tracking the puck, it's the last thing the league should be considering.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've played on and coached at rinks that have the curling targets painted on the ice, and that is too much for me. I couldn't imagine playing on some of the European rinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The key is to have them call the ads.

Ovechkin sets up on top of Wendy's. Puck slid from Geico to Progessive, although we recommend you use their pricing tool before making a move yourself. Now Ovie slips behind the defense to the GM back door, standard on all models.

• Locked thread