Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If I use liquid smoke on some ribs in the oven is my house going to smell like a beef jerky factory afterwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bob Morales posted:

If I use liquid smoke on some ribs in the oven is my house going to smell like a beef jerky factory afterwards?

No, it will just smell delicious.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's the best way to get a mcribwich texture

Ugh. Ok, ribs are in the oven now.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone got a preferred sugar to fruit ratio for blueberry jam? I like using liquid Certo.

The official recipe is 7 cups of sugar and two packets of pectin per 6 cups of berries, but I also googled one that suggests 4 cups of sugar and packet of pectin for 6 cups.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
When do you worry when it comes to canned food safety? Bulges and dents are obvious warning signs, but I've gotten into an argument or two with someone concerning a couple drops or sauce spurting out of a punctured can, or a 'loud' hiss versus a normal hiss.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That person is an idiot, don't worry about them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BraveUlysses posted:

Pressure cooker pork ribs sounds disgusting
Pretty much every culture with pigs has a version of braised pork ribs. They don't resemble what you'd get out of smoking, roasting, or grilling them though, so if you're looking for a substitute they ain't it. But they're just fine. I mean you hand me a rack of pork ribs and they're probably going in the smoker. But you tell me I can 't smoke 'em and they're probably going to end up as hong shao rou or something like that, which I'll take over oven-roasted unless I absolutely have to serve them that way for some reason.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
How can I make brown rice in a rice cooker that isn't mushy garbage? I've followed both the instructions on the rice cooker and the bag and it's still terrible. I want to cook one cup of dry rice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rgocs posted:

I'm going to grill a pork loin on a plank. The recipe I was looking at says to brine the loin for 4 hours. Is there a downside to brining for longer?

assuming the brine isn't horrendously salty, no, there's no downside.

Bagheera posted:

Pork ribs in the pressure cooker vs pork ribs in the oven.

Depending on the technique you use, it's six of one really. If you have a lossless pressure cooker you can do it with minimal liquid loss, which decreases the liquid needed at the start, and keeps the ribs less water logged. In a PC it will take about 30 min. If you foil wrap the ribs and roast at 225 F it will take about 3-4 hours. Either way, you'll want to finish them under the broiler if you are going for the american bbq ribs thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QuarkMartial posted:

How can I make brown rice in a rice cooker that isn't mushy garbage? I've followed both the instructions on the rice cooker and the bag and it's still terrible. I want to cook one cup of dry rice.

Less water?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

QuarkMartial posted:

How long do you let it sit after it's done cooking?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

TychoCelchuuu posted:

How long do you let it sit after it's done cooking?

Not long, I make it while I prep the rest of dinner and eat it when I'm done cooking.

E: I bought another bag of it, so I'll try cutting back on the water, too.

It's Basmati brown rice, if that matters.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I tried to season a pan and I done hosed up.

I followed the instructions from the manufacturer:

https://www.johnlewis.com/leon-cast-iron-casserole-dish-24cm/p2667420?navAction=jump
How to Season

quote:

Cast iron lasts for generations, but only if you treat it well. The secret ‘tis the season. You will need to regularly season your cast iron griddle casserole dish to stop it from rusting.
To do this, scrub your casserole dish in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. Spread a thin layer of oil (vegetable oil works fine – no need to waste good extra virgin olive oil on this task) and rub into all of the crevices. Then, preheat your oven to 180°c and place the casserole dish on the middle rack. Let it bake for an hour then cool in the oven.

So I did that and when I took the cool pan out, most of the pan had a light brownish glaze on it, except that semi-circle which was still liquid oil. Wiping it off shows the uncoated pan underneath.

What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

I tried to season a pan and I done hosed up.

I followed the instructions from the manufacturer:

https://www.johnlewis.com/leon-cast-iron-casserole-dish-24cm/p2667420?navAction=jump
How to Season

So I did that and when I took the cool pan out, most of the pan had a light brownish glaze on it, except that semi-circle which was still liquid oil. Wiping it off shows the uncoated pan underneath.

What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Looks like way too much oil to me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like way too much oil to me.

Could be. I put it on with a pastry brush and was definitely on the generous side.

What to do now?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spog posted:

Could be. I put it on with a pastry brush and was definitely on the generous side.

What to do now?

Scrub it down with soap and water and do over. You want a film of oil on the exposed cast iron, no more than that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

What to do now?

Scrub it all off and start over. Preheat the pan til it's warm, then take a paper towel with oil on it and wipe it down. Then take a clean paper towel and wipe that oil off. There should only be enough oil on there to give it a sheen, but not enough so that you can see any depth to the the oil. Then bake.

I would even consider baking it upside down, so if there is any extra oil it can run out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Scrub it down with soap and water and do over. You want a film of oil on the exposed cast iron, no more than that.

Hot water, washing up liquid and a stiff plastic brush with lots of elbow action?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah. Use a lot of dish soap (Dawn works best). Let it soak for a while if you need to.

When you're ready to retry, put a little oil in the middle and use a paper towel and rub it all over. There should be as little oil as possible.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ow. My wrist and arm....

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can also spray PAM then wipe it out. Idk if it makes much difference, but that's how I've seasoned cast iron grill grates before.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oven cleaner spray (that foaming kind) works well to strip seasoning.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait, it's enameled on the inside. Do you even need to bother with seasoning?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
No, you don't season enameled cast iron.

Unless he just removed the enamel in scrubbing off that seasoning attempt he posted earlier.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah it looks enameled and no you don't season enamel.

Edit: Yeah on the product page it says it's enameled. It does list seasoning instructions, but my guess is that's just boilerplate text they include with all their cast iron poo poo even though it doesn't actually apply here, any more than their comments on cast iron rusting.

Bonus edit: yeah I just searched for other cast iron poo poo in that storefront and found a cast iron griddle pan that has instructions for how to use a coated aluminium pan with a steel base on an induction hob. It does not include any information about seasoning or rust prevention. lol

SubG fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 18, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I wanted to give making Spicy Miso Ramen a shot. Had a couple bowls of it at a Noodle shop downtown and I wanna try making it myself. I wen't to go get some White Miso and gochujang the recipe called for but it turns out when it comes to asian food my local store has Soy sauce, pre packaged microwave food and the stuff you find overpriced at conventions. So I'm just gonna have to go online for it.

My question is are there any particular brands or types of White Miso and gochujang I should get that people recommend?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

HAVE I JUST SPENT TWO BLOODY NIGHTS SEASONING AND DESEASONING A BLOODY ENAMELLED PAN??????

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

spog posted:

HAVE I JUST SPENT TWO BLOODY NIGHTS SEASONING AND DESEASONING A BLOODY ENAMELLED PAN??????

quote:

This cast iron casserole dish has been made to last. Easy to clean, with a black enamel interior and LEON starburst design on the lid,

Why they would put seasoning instructions on that is beyond me.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spog posted:

Yes, apparently so. The black interior looked like cast iron so I had just assumed from your picture that it was just enameled on the outside, sorry about that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Worse, that enamel doesn't last forever and your actions may quite conceivably have hurt it or ruined it. Fortunately, an enameled cast iron with the enamel removed is then a seasonable cast iron.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i doubt he ruined it, enameled cast iron is pretty resilient

i've used my cheapie martha stewart enameled dutch oven for 8 years, tons of searing in that time and it still cleans up very well with some barkeepers when needed

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Cross-posted from the burg thread:

Hey pals! I have a few burg questions. So, I'm having a BBQ for my birthday in a few days, and I've been pretty set on doing home-ground prime rib burgers for a while now. I'm not terribly worried about the cost (this is my big bash for the summer), but I know a lot of people go with ground chuck, both for cost and flavour. Is using prime rib just going to make these burgers needlessly more expensive and not actually contribute much to the flavour? Would half chuck, half prime rib be a reasonable "best of both worlds" scenario?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes, needlessly expensive. If you're going to use other cuts to mix try ox tail or others that have lots of connective tissue.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 18, 2017

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I kind of thought that might be the case. I would really like to hear from people what their favourite meat combos are. I haven't been grinding at home for long and it's hard to know what really separates a good burger from a great burger. Even seriouseats has recipes for fancy-pants dry-aged all prime rib burgers.

e: found this! http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 18, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Doctor posted:

Cross-posted from the burg thread:

Hey pals! I have a few burg questions. So, I'm having a BBQ for my birthday in a few days, and I've been pretty set on doing home-ground prime rib burgers for a while now. I'm not terribly worried about the cost (this is my big bash for the summer), but I know a lot of people go with ground chuck, both for cost and flavour. Is using prime rib just going to make these burgers needlessly more expensive and not actually contribute much to the flavour? Would half chuck, half prime rib be a reasonable "best of both worlds" scenario?

Make both and burg out tonight. I'd want to taste test before serving a group anyway.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Doctor posted:

I kind of thought that might be the case. I would really like to hear from people what their favourite meat combos are. I haven't been grinding at home for long and it's hard to know what really separates a good burger from a great burger. Even seriouseats has recipes for fancy-pants dry-aged all prime rib burgers.

e: found this! http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef.html

Just use chuck. Prime's going to be a waste of good meat that's better prepared otherwise. Your goal (for a medium-cooked burger) is about a 70/30 fat ratio, and a medium grind. If you like a more rare burger, use less fat so you don't have unrendered fat in the final product. I use 85/15 for most of my burgers, because I like them on the rare side.

If you want to be a real rear end in a top hat, grind 70% chuck 30% bacon, using something that isn't super-strongly smoked. Top with sharp cheddar and granny smith apple slices instead of pickles.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Can you make white rice in it ok?

Cooking rice is all about getting the right amount of extra water to make up for evaporation. I've had good luck measuring the evaporation in a pan, then using 1:1 rice:water and adding however much water will evaporate during the cooking time. If you can get white rice to work, try figuring out how much extra water (past 1:1) is added, then scale that up by the cooking time. So if brown rice takes twice as long, add twice the extra water.

This may not work very well since the rice cooker may have valves it switches during the cooking time. So just tweaking the water until you're happy is also a good solution.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Made a trip to a large "toko" (ethnic store) and whenever I do that, I've made it a habit to buy at least one thing that I've never tried before.

To make a long story short, at this moment I'm the proud owner of a can of mock duck.

Now what?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

paraquat posted:

Made a trip to a large "toko" (ethnic store) and whenever I do that, I've made it a habit to buy at least one thing that I've never tried before.

To make a long story short, at this moment I'm the proud owner of a can of mock duck.

Now what?

Go find some Geese and mock them too, they are assholes.

For some actual content: This might not be the right place for this but I wasn't quite sure where to ask it. Has anyone built their own Outdoor Pizza Oven? I have been thinking about building this one here for a couple years now. I have a good pallet to use already but haven't gotten around to buying the rest of the materials. Just wondering if anyone has done one and has a better instructions or anything.

My house has no AC so being able to cook pizzas and stuff outside during the summer (and even winter) would be great.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Check out the DIY forum for pizza oven building