Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

RedSpider posted:

I'm not Tezzor.

That's just what Tezzor would say. Proof that you are indeed Tezzor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

RedSpider posted:

I'm not Tezzor.

I believe you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

I prefer it to what it replaces, at least.

The issue we've been dancing around here is that Episode 6 has always sucked badly - so much so that Jedi Rocks making things worse is an improvement over mediocrity.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The prequels being poo poo have kinda improved Return of the Jedi for me.

Like, it ain't great, but it ain't AotC levels of lovely

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Is it controversial to say Revenge of the Sith is actually pretty alright?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Covok posted:

I agree with you

Amusingly, Matthew Stover's novelization completely removes the Battle of Kashyyyk and...nothing really changes in the grand scheme of things

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Covok posted:

It's a false statement of course but after Episode 1 and 2 it looks golden by comparison.

Watching a character you loathe burn up in flames is so satisfying.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The issue we've been dancing around here is that Episode 6 has always sucked badly - so much so that Jedi Rocks making things worse is an improvement over mediocrity.

It's almost like Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

UmOk posted:

It's almost like Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars

You joke, but I do legitimately wonder how many fans have gotten so far up the EUnus that they forgot what the movies even were and would possibly find they didn't like any of them on a rewatch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If we're talking about good and bad, then yeah, I think Return of the Jedi is the weakest one overall. It has some of the strongest scenes, but the throne room sequence can't carry the whole thing by itself, and so much else in it just doesn't cohere.

Attack of the Clones suffers pervasively from how the genres and styles it's an homage to typically depend on dialog that's cleverer than what George Lucas writes.

Those are the only two I can give any definitive "ranking" to in good conscience, as the others lack pervasive flaws clearly identifiable as such, and I don't think I'm willing to judge their strengths against each other. They're all very idiosyncratic - A New Hope most of all, but it was also so successful that people born after it often don't see the weirdness.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Vinylshadow posted:

I agree with you

Amusingly, Matthew Stover's novelization completely removes the Battle of Kashyyyk and...nothing really changes in the grand scheme of things

The actual plot events that happen on Kashyyk are minor (have something to distract Yoda from Anakin's problems, sneak Chewie in as a minor character); the main thing you lose are the visual references to the Battle of Normandy, and the :krad: shot of a Wookiee commando swinging onto a tank and blowing it up.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

UmOk posted:

I. Don't. Care. You saw the penis is what matters. Also Death Star Vagina.

Luke fucks the Death Star to explosive orgasm.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

The Original Trilogy is actually Rogue One, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RedSpider posted:

The Original Trilogy is actually Rogue One, A New Hope, and The Empire Strikes Back.
And so the series ends with a victory for the Empire and the Rebels on the run, as it should be

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covok posted:

I like it, it's not perfect it's a huge improvement over Attack of the Clones. Plus the effects are noticeably better than the last two prequels.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In my opinion, Revenge is when that sort of CGI became 'mature'. Lord Of The Rings finishing up a few years earlier probably has a lot to do with it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RedSpider posted:

So how are they going to explain a 25 year old Han Solo played by Aiden Ehrenreich becoming a 25 year old Han Solo played by Harrison Ford in A New Hope? Has Disney sent the market research through corporate for explaining this yet?

It's a younger Han. The new movie will be set in his high school and mostly be about the big football game. Also guess who Han happened to go to high school with! Chewie, Lando, Jabba, Boba Fett and Principal Yoda

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If we are just talking strictly about the quality of the effects I'd put rots and aotc tied at the top with tpm a bit behind.

The OT is way way way worse. They are all pretty bad in terms of effects.

In my opinion. I'm talking about the blue rays for all movies here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Return of the Jedi's space battle is a masterpiece of practical effects work. It's hard to even fathom how all of that was put together back then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

RotS has quite a few scenes devoted just to showing the myriad and varied Galactic Republic worlds that have become battlegrounds, and Kashyyyk more largely serves that purpose than the plot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RedSpider posted:

Oh honey, George Lucas wasn't that smart.

Lucas directed THX-1138, my child, and American Graffitti. To discredit a man because of some childish adherence that he's "not that smart" when he's already established himself with two amazing films loaded with subtext is pretty weak.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 19, 2017

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RedSpider posted:

Certainly someone smarter than Lucas, at least. Have you seen the BTS footage with that man? He's not very bright.

Lucas is fairly bright. He's just weird and not very eloquent, and people want to interpret everything he says and does in bad faith.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Lucas made a ray gun movie I didn't like, and for that I hate him with my life.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Beeez posted:

He's just weird and not very eloquent

Sounds like a Star Wars fan to me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I stumbled across an older video where a fan opened it by bitching about the Disney buy-out and the loss of expanded universe. I was just basically looking for some stuff for an RPG I'm running.

That video was from 2014. How much of that is still around? How many people are still bitching about Legends being cut? How many people still probably say they don't watch episode 7 or similar silly points of pride?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I stumbled across an older video where a fan opened it by bitching about the Disney buy-out and the loss of expanded universe. I was just basically looking for some stuff for an RPG I'm running.

That video was from 2014. How much of that is still around? How many people are still bitching about Legends being cut? How many people still probably say they don't watch episode 7 or similar silly points of pride?

While there certainly are a whole bunch of anti-Disney Star Wars fans out there, they probably aren't going to be covering recent releases and stuff, so you'll have to be looking for them to find them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh they're out there still. Though this is from a year ago.

quote:

The Alliance to Restore the Expanded Universe. Bring Back Legends. Give Us Legends. New Republic Historical Office. No matter what you want to call them, there is a movement of a small group of Star Wars fans committed to the original Expanded Universe…and they want it back.

The problem is with how they are trying to get their way. Recently I was alerted to this post by a Legends Facebook group where they were complaining that they don’t have the same “access” to Lucasfilm as other Star Wars fansites. Well, there’s a reason for that and it’s for what some members of the movement have been doing. Some people see these groups as full-on harassment groups who result to immature methods to try to get their way.

If they want to be taken seriously, then they seriously need to police their members and insure the following things do not happen:

Do not disrupt panels at a convention where you don’t agree with canon stuff being discussed.
Do not accost people at conventions and shove fliers in their face.
Do not accuse a fan dying of cancer of being a marketing stunt by JJ Abrams.
Do not spam Star Wars spoilers to other fans in an attempt to get Lucasfilm to give into your demands.
Do not organize negative Amazon review campaigns to attempt to torpedo a book that isn’t set in the non-canon Legends universe.
Do not make YouTube videos threatening violence against people who like all Star Wars canon.
Do not harass bloggers who point out the bad things the movement does.
Do not brigade Facebook pages with spam reports in an attempt to censor them from reporting on what the movement is doing.

They could have just said, "Don't be a dick." and be done with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What do they "want back" exactly? Those stories still exist don't they? If they're pining away for the continued adventures of Corran Horn then I think they've got a long time to wait...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There were a handful of ongoing Legends plots that got curtailed by the Canon reset. Conclusions to those stories are the most common demand I've see. And honestly, I can sympathize with that one.

It's the crazy stuff like the demands for Disney's new films and whatnot to adhere to decades of old EU; or for Disney to just say "never mind!" and stop their releases that are insanity.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Holy loving poo poo. What a bunch of idiots. There is no way in hell Disney's going to split their brand. If they did that, then they would lose sales per book. Legends books would only be bought by people who know about Legends and vice versa. It'd be too convoluted and overtime sales would go down regardless. There is no way they would ever ever bring back Legends.

Selling old books is one thing as people understand that everything before the buyout marked Legends is in canon, but it only works because everyone knows every book going forward is canon.

Basebf555 posted:

What do they "want back" exactly? Those stories still exist don't they? If they're pining away for the continued adventures of Corran Horn then I think they've got a long time to wait...

What they "want back" is the same history that they grew up with. They want back all of the lore they spent memorizing to be relevant to the new books. Essentially they just want to be right again. If I had to Hazard a guess, they feel that with all of that stuff made non-canon that it invalidates all of their efforts to memorize it. They don't like that feeling. As such they want it made Canon again so that feeling goes away. They also likely disagree with certain of New Canon like lightsaber crystals only ever being khyber crystals now or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

It's the crazy stuff like the demands for Disney's new films and whatnot to adhere to decades of old EU; or for Disney to just say "never mind!" and stop their releases that are insanity.

How many people do you think want the "never mind" because Disney has been using a lot of female protagonists, non-white protagonist and some homosexual protagonists? Yes I'm going there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

There were a handful of ongoing Legends plots that got curtailed by the Canon reset. Conclusions to those stories are the most common demand I've see. And honestly, I can sympathize with that one.

I was in line at Star Wars Celebration to meet Timothy Zahn, and some guy walked up to a my friend and I saying, "You guys look like you appreciate Star Wars Legends! Well, let me tell you about an initiate we spearheading to make Star Wars Legends fan movies! Let's all enjoy the REAL EU!" And then he handed us his card. Which I promptly threw away, because gently caress that guy. But I wish I could remember the name of their group now, because it could be good for a laugh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I was in line at Star Wars Celebration to meet Timothy Zahn, and some guy walked up to a my friend and I saying, "You guys look like you appreciate Star Wars Legends! Well, let me tell you about an initiate we spearheading to make Star Wars Legends fan movies! Let's all enjoy the REAL EU!" And then he handed us his card. Which I promptly threw away, because gently caress that guy. But I wish I could remember the name of their group now, because it could be good for a laugh.

Holy poo poo that sounds like a political movement. Like that's how you go about recruiting for political movement. In tone and execution, it seems similar to going " you guys look like you care a lot about guns how about you join the NRA?" The fact that it's being applied to the Star Wars fandom is hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Covok posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds like a political movement. Like that's how you go about recruiting for political movement. In tone and execution, it seems similar to going " you guys look like you care a lot about guns how about you join the NRA?" The fact that it's being applied to the Star Wars fandom is hilarious.

Yeah, it really threw us off. I couldn't believe it when it ended up being for some bullshit fan films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

How many people do you think want the "never mind" because Disney has been using a lot of female protagonists, non-white protagonist and some homosexual protagonists? Yes I'm going there.

Oh there sure are a bunch of those. There's this whole movement about how "young boys are being trained that men are inferior because Rey gets force powers" and other similar things from other media properties.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Yea, I can see that. I stopped reading EU stuff like 15+ years ago so it didn't occur to me that it was still ongoing at the time of the sale to Disney and that stories were in progress and left unfinished. Still a dumb thing to care about, but at least I can see the logic in it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The discontinuation of the EU doesn't mean that every unfinished storyline was going to be finished -- narrative product lines are discontinued all the time. The necromantic success of "browncoats" raising Firefly's brittle corpse for Serenity may have planted the seeds for irrational optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The EU dorks should just do like the SWCCG Players Committee and try to group-write some followups to whatever the last novel series was.

See how that turns out

• Locked thread