Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

shovelbum posted:

This is why I really really hate any interconnection between external networks and control or God forbid DP systems, regardless of software safeguards.

BSG tried to warn us. We wouldn't listen. Сайлонами will get us all. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The worst thing about living in this the darkest timeline is being forced to admit Richard Stallman was right, on a daily basis

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Alright so I read through this entire thread and, like an idiot, I still want to sail so I guess I'll put in for CMA engineering ASAP. How bad of an idea is it if I can't get into the fall class to try and get a job as a wiper for a few months or a year to get some startup cash and make sure I want to be doing this long term?

e: also can the CMA MechE students still get a ticket?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Moatman posted:

Alright so I read through this entire thread and, like an idiot, I still want to sail so I guess I'll put in for CMA engineering ASAP. How bad of an idea is it if I can't get into the fall class to try and get a job as a wiper for a few months or a year to get some startup cash and make sure I want to be doing this long term?

That's actually not a bad idea at all. I dunno how likely you are to find work but it's a good way of getting your feet wet.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
You'll know by the end of your first cadet cruise if you want to make a career at sea, there's always a heap of dropouts right after. You do all the pre-reqs for the basic Wiper/OS/Food Handler license as part of your first year curriculum. I dunno if the school would waive those classes if you already have that basic license. You wouldn't lose out on all that much if you decide to quit after a year, the first year courses are mainly transferable Gen Ed with some cruise prep stuff thrown in to make sure you know port from starboard and not to touch the hot bits. Most of the real in-depth training starts after Freshman year.

The Mechanical Engineering program is intended for people who don't want to get a license.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I kind of wish someone would plot drop outs / enrollment numbers on a semester per semester / cruise by cruise time line, just to illustrate how quickly it goes from 60 kids happily matriculating to 15 weary fuckers graduating. Or have pictures of every enrolling class on one wall, and the graduation pictures across the hall.

There's no way a 60%+ drop out rate is normal but hey, there it is. We had people dropping out by the beginning of the second semester, the big massacre was after the first cruise, then there's a few that just said "gently caress this" in the last year for some reason.

On the other hand you have the guy who flunks the OOW oral four times, yet still, perseveres.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real attrition only starts at graduation

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I kind of wish someone would plot drop outs / enrollment numbers on a semester per semester / cruise by cruise time line, just to illustrate how quickly it goes from 60 kids happily matriculating to 15 weary fuckers graduating. Or have pictures of every enrolling class on one wall, and the graduation pictures across the hall.

There's no way a 60%+ drop out rate is normal but hey, there it is. We had people dropping out by the beginning of the second semester, the big massacre was after the first cruise, then there's a few that just said "gently caress this" in the last year for some reason.

On the other hand you have the guy who flunks the OOW oral four times, yet still, perseveres.

We started with 28 and ended with like 14 so yeah

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

The real attrition only starts at graduation

As far as I know, ten years on, only about 20-30% of my nautical science class is still sailing. Most of them are captains by now.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

As far as I know, ten years on, only about 20-30% of my nautical science class is still sailing. Most of them are captains by now.

I'm in a part of the country with mostly container shipping so it's this illusion that the industry is full of mid career firsts and crusty old chiefs and captains, so whenever I take a short job elsewhere and the captain is like thirty and everyone else is like 25 it's a real eye opener about this stuff

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I wanna end up like the guy who relieved me in Diego Garcia - 70 years old, living in Thailand with a 25 year old "girlfriend" and still sailing 3rd mate because its the easiest job that keeps him in cheap beer and mid-range prostitutes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man I hate terminals that don't have a shuttle or anywhere to kind of hang around if you're 5 minutes early. Finagling a TWIC cab with a moving target of an arrival time is a pain in the rear end.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Moatman posted:

Yes. CMA just requires everyone to get something aside from just a diploma. Most MEs take the EIT and pass it so they stopped requiring a license to graduate. ME license track is tough as you will need to throw a shitload of USCG required courses on top. I went MET and it wasn't a terrible choice but the MEs in my class that are on shore are high up in companies running poo poo. I would have a much more difficult time getting there. I was able to play rugby in college though and that really made it for it.

The thinking between a wiper and a 3rd Engineer is completely different in terms of perspective. Do your best to get in to school. If you can make into and through any of the academies as an engineer then you will be set up with employment options for life, even if you hate sailing. Just remember that if I and the rest of the retards in this thread can make it through school, graduate and work our way up to senior officer positions then anyone can do it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

I'm in a part of the country with mostly container shipping so it's this illusion that the industry is full of mid career firsts and crusty old chiefs and captains, so whenever I take a short job elsewhere and the captain is like thirty and everyone else is like 25 it's a real eye opener about this stuff

Most of my ships recently have been younger. A lot of the older people have been moving out so there's plenty of opportunity to sail 1st. The other 3rd on here is 28 and he is getting off to try and snag the relief 1st job on here down the coast. You should try and grab my job on here in Baltimore next month. Only 3rd but decent people and run.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

lightpole posted:

Yes. CMA just requires everyone to get something aside from just a diploma. Most MEs take the EIT and pass it so they stopped requiring a license to graduate. ME license track is tough as you will need to throw a shitload of USCG required courses on top. I went MET and it wasn't a terrible choice but the MEs in my class that are on shore are high up in companies running poo poo. I would have a much more difficult time getting there. I was able to play rugby in college though and that really made it for it.

The thinking between a wiper and a 3rd Engineer is completely different in terms of perspective. Do your best to get in to school. If you can make into and through any of the academies as an engineer then you will be set up with employment options for life, even if you hate sailing. Just remember that if I and the rest of the retards in this thread can make it through school, graduate and work our way up to senior officer positions then anyone can do it.

Seems like they're out of engineering slots for the fall anyway. I'll see if I can get on the list but if I can't, well, I really fuckin need money.
e: looking into mass maritime too because I get slightly cheaper tuition there. I'd still prefer to be in Cali over New England but if it works it works

Moatman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 19, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Most of my ships recently have been younger. A lot of the older people have been moving out so there's plenty of opportunity to sail 1st. The other 3rd on here is 28 and he is getting off to try and snag the relief 1st job on here down the coast. You should try and grab my job on here in Baltimore next month. Only 3rd but decent people and run.

What's running two thirds on the east coast? Reflags still on watches? I caught a job in Baltimore already actually, getting on later today.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

I forgot that my union (AMO) has an engineer officer hawsepipe program. The catch is that once you get your license you have to sail 182 days/yr for 5 years as an AMO member.

https://www.star-center.com/techprogram/techprogram.html

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

What's running two thirds on the east coast? Reflags still on watches? I caught a job in Baltimore already actually, getting on later today.

Reflags. 12x4 on MLL?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Moatman posted:

Seems like they're out of engineering slots for the fall anyway. I'll see if I can get on the list but if I can't, well, I really fuckin need money.
e: looking into mass maritime too because I get slightly cheaper tuition there. I'd still prefer to be in Cali over New England but if it works it works

CMA has some things going for it but in the end the outcomes for all the academies are all equivalent so go wherever you can.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Hackers at the Defcon conference have presented a site with live tracking of all ships that use the VSAT system due to its always on /insecure interface...

https://shiptracker.shodan.io/

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Alright, SUNY Maritime application's done and the Mass Maritime app just needs a bit more info, then I need to fax (:barf:) my old college to get transcripts and then the waiting starts.
At least I'm in-region for both of those schools so it's only gonna hurt my wallet a lot instead of a ton.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 20, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Marketplace interviewed a retired Columbia River Bar Pilot.

https://www.marketplace.org/2017/07/18/economy/make-me-smart-kai-and-molly/24-always-tie-your-shoes

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Sometimes it's not so bad

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

unknown posted:

Hackers at the Defcon conference have presented a site with live tracking of all ships that use the VSAT system due to its always on /insecure interface...

https://shiptracker.shodan.io/

This is different from AIS over satellite how?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
Passed my OOW oral last week! On the down side I'm probably going to be laid off next month once my company get their tax money for training me and I've outlived my usefulness to them :(

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ferretsrule posted:

Passed my OOW oral last week! On the down side I'm probably going to be laid off next month once my company get their tax money for training me and I've outlived my usefulness to them :(

On the plus side, you now have an OOW ticket.

I swear, from 2007 until I stopped sailing, my resume could have just been a sheet of construction paper with "I HAZ OOW" in crayon on it and I would have still been turning down jobs, or so it seems.

Friend of mine (A chief mate but hey) got pissed at the office on a Monday a few weeks back. Blew off the steam the traditional way, by sending in job applications. Phone interview Tuesday, resigned on the Wednesday, signed off on the Tuesday after, signed on to the new boat on the Thursday.

just blanket everybody with resumes, network, and let it be known on social media that you're available. Something'll turn up.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

FrozenVent posted:

On the plus side, you now have an OOW ticket.

I swear, from 2007 until I stopped sailing, my resume could have just been a sheet of construction paper with "I HAZ OOW" in crayon on it and I would have still been turning down jobs, or so it seems.

Friend of mine (A chief mate but hey) got pissed at the office on a Monday a few weeks back. Blew off the steam the traditional way, by sending in job applications. Phone interview Tuesday, resigned on the Wednesday, signed off on the Tuesday after, signed on to the new boat on the Thursday.

just blanket everybody with resumes, network, and let it be known on social media that you're available. Something'll turn up.

I don't think the job market for newly qualified officers is that good, particularly for Brits, but that's pretty much my plan - spam CVs and keep calling until they get so fed up with me they send me to sea just to get rid of me :)

I do have a weeks stewarding work on a ferry lined up to keep the pennies rolling in until my CoC arrives so at least I won't be broke.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Superyachts are screaming for commercial tickets. Money isn't quite as good but I'm enjoying it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Two Finger posted:

Superyachts are screaming for commercial tickets. Money isn't quite as good but I'm enjoying it.

The food and scenery are better, which is something.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Scenery".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the girls are ridiculously hot, but I guess that comes with the territory. Sleazy as gently caress captains are standard issue unfortunately.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Two Finger posted:

Also the girls are ridiculously hot, but I guess that comes with the territory. Sleazy as gently caress captains are standard issue unfortunately.

Just got my mm so sign me up I guess...

What's the rotation like on one of those things or is it just a stay as long as you can sort of gig? It's an interesting pretty comfortable job I'd imagine.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tends to be difficult to get rotation, but I know people on 2-2 or 3-3. I've wound up on a boat with 5 weeks leave a year, but the flipside is we're based in my hometown and I only work 8-4 5 days a week. So it's almost like a regular job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

flashman posted:

Just got my mm so sign me up I guess...

Congrats! Did you find a shore job yet? :laugh:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Has anyone been to Pointe Noire (Rep. Congo)? How's the airport?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Congrats! Did you find a shore job yet? :laugh:

Hah not yet. I live in the middle of no where so the only spot for me is at TC or something like that when one of the two people there retire. I can't see getting a land job for another 20 years or so honestly after my sanity has completely left me..

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Per posted:

Has anyone been to Pointe Noire (Rep. Congo)? How's the airport?

Everyone speaks French, women are cheap according to the Q, nice place, A++. I didn't make it to the airport.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
"If it's grey, stay away"

Seems another US Navy vessel has collided with a merchant vessel. A tanker in this case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
In this case, the Navy ship was hit on the port, opposite of the Fitzgerald. It also happened in the Strait of Malacca, which is crazy narrow and congested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
It's still weird as hell, warships don't like letting other vessels get that close, and they have the speed and manoeuvrability to keep clear. They're suggesting a steering gear failure is at fault, but if there's one thing that navies do well, it's emergency response. They should have been in local steering almost straight away in congested waters.

I'm pleased to see that merchant ships have won in two of two encounters so far, though. Take that, grey funnel line.

• Locked thread