Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Skullface's plan was stupid but I think that was kind of the point.

the only 'point' is that kojima is a goddamn moron when it comes to writing and needs his excesses reined in by a good writer (fukushima)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's sort of an interesting question, whether or not English is actually going to retain its place as a lingua franca. Mandarin isn't that far behind but, significantly, most of them are L1 speakers, while English has about a 2/3 -1/3 split of L2/L1 - and the places where it is L1 are becoming less and less important over time. That leaves Mandarin with a lot of room to grow with L2 speakers, and a much stronger base of support of L1. Being itself a growing powerhouse, and well positioned in the most important area of the planet going forwards, it wouldn't take much to push it over the edge into #1. From there, I could easily see it totally displacing English as the new lingua franca.

So who knows, maybe in 20 years it'll be the language displacing smaller ones.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 19, 2017

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

lollontee posted:

why can't everyone just become bilingual

i know that i have to say "club soda" instead of "soda" at airports to get the correct drink what else do you want from me

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

crime

pop, drat it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

a spooky spectre is haunting cspam, the spectre of lf (M-L) soda tendency

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Who knows what language changes might take place if any; language has often been weird wrt power structures and culture

Like in earlier aristocratic eras the ruling class and peasants might speak completely different languages and might rule over peasants with a large variety of languages and nobody really cared. Imperial russian aristocracy spoke french and maybe enough russian to yell at servants if at all

Yet in modernity you have all kinds of nationalism and powers forming around languages and the need to speak some dominant language to enter them

China could become a replacement for the US yet the bureaucratic language could remain english for strange legacy reasons, who knows; all that is solid melts into air

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rudatron posted:

It's sort of an interesting question, whether or not English is actually going to retain its place as a lingua franca. Mandarin isn't that far behind but, significantly, most of them are L1 speakers, while English has about a 2/3 -1/3 split of L2/L1 - and the places where it is L1 are becoming less and less important over time. That leaves Mandarin with a lot of room to grow with L2 speakers, and a much stronger base of support of L1. Being itself a growing powerhouse, and well positioned in the most important area of the planet going forwards, it wouldn't take much to push it over the edge into #1. From there, I could easily see it totally displacing English as the new lingua franca.

So who knows, maybe in 20 years it'll be the language displacing smaller ones.

everybody said this about Japanese in the 80s when their manufacturing was doing well. people don't want to learn a language with pseudo-pictographic characters and definitely definitely definitely not one with a tonal language on top of that. saying mandarin will displace English in L2 is basically the disco stu graph

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Weeping Wound posted:

crime

pop, drat it

THIS is why no one likes you Midwest.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

everybody said this about Japanese in the 80s when their manufacturing was doing well. people don't want to learn a language with pseudo-pictographic characters and definitely definitely definitely not one with a tonal language on top of that. saying mandarin will displace English in L2 is basically the disco stu graph
Chinese characters are not pictographic, that's a myth, they're semantic-phonetic (mostly phonetic). And it's not like Mandarin is unique in being a tonal language - it's just a thing that some languages use and others don't.

The hype over Japanese was obviously misguided, but there are 7 billion people in this world and 1 billion of them speak mandarin. Having more L1 speakers than any other language - that's economic clout, no matter how much you cut it.

Actually, the wikipedia page already has to total number of L1+L2 speakers of Mandarin > English right now, so it's already the world's #1 language. I thought it still had a way to go, but apparently that's not the case. How's that for being over-hyped, it's already in the process of happening.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Read it and weep: Mandarin, 1.098 billion, English, 0.983 billion

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

crime

pop, drat it

pop is what you call ur dad dumbass

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtguLo_DwFg

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to beat the technocrat drum but machine translation is getting pretty good. I dunno if it will be good enough for real time soon but it's getting better over the years. Maybe actual spoken language will just cease to be important

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Our grandchildren will communicate with memes and cyphers, and roll their eyes whenever we try "mouthnoise"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

can't come soon enough imo

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

fizzy drink

wtf at calling all soft drinks "coke"

welcom to the brandless commie south

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The pictspeak from Eon and Eternity was always interesting to me. You just kind of beam pictures and what you mean into the air via symbols and whatnot.

Too bad we'll be dead from climate change first

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Larry Parrish posted:

Not to beat the technocrat drum but machine translation is getting pretty good. I dunno if it will be good enough for real time soon but it's getting better over the years. Maybe actual spoken language will just cease to be important

Apply for a job at Microsoft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozLaklIFWUI

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Or don't, they're gearing up to layoff 3,000 employees

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Or do. Microsoft and the semiconductor production companies and maybe parts of Alphabet are the only companies in silicon valley that will likely survive the impending crash. Or some of the subsidiaries anyway.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Larry Parrish posted:

Or do. Microsoft and the semiconductor production companies and maybe parts of Alphabet are the only companies in silicon valley that will likely survive the impending crash. Or some of the subsidiaries anyway.

Jumping onto a sinking ship just for the prospect of getting into one of the lifeboats isn't a great plan.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

buy lots and lots of snapchat stock, no risk whatsoever!!!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
time to short some stocks

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Larry Parrish posted:

Google might be fine, Alphabet is throwing lots of money into dubious money pits like Calico, which is going to cure aging via the medicinal technology of [mumble mumble mumble]

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

it's cool that we're dumping billions into figuring out how to make a select few billionaires live forever

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Laugh if you want but trickle down medical research is the only reason the general population has access to remedies for gout and the vapors

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Karl Barks posted:

it's cool that we're dumping billions into figuring out how to make a select few billionaires live forever

as long as it's theirs/idiot shareholders' money. later we can kill them and redistribute their immortality to the workers party Inner party Juche

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
this isnt the dem thread there are too many threads

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

deadgoon posted:

this isnt the dem thread there are too many threads

false, not enough threads

Serf
May 5, 2011

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Laugh if you want but trickle down medical research is the only reason the general population has access to remedies for gout and the vapors

no way in hell will they ever let anyone without at least a million in the bank live forever

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You know what really pisses me off? That there hasn't been an active shooter that targets rich people and celebrities ever. I heard Bohemian Grove has lovely security so you could definitely go in when they are sacrificing a "pizza" to whatever sumerian monster/demon they worship and murk a bunch of tech billionaires and foreign policy+national security mummies.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

tbh its getting pretty good at a certain subset of languages; its still terrible at some asian languages and slavic languages

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Plutonis posted:

its highly illegal to say You know what really pisses me off? That there hasn't been an active shooter that targets rich people and celebrities ever. I heard Bohemian Grove has lovely security so you could definitely go in when they are sacrificing a "pizza" to whatever sumerian monster/demon they worship and murk a bunch of tech billionaires and foreign policy+national security mummies.

ur golden now

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Plutonis posted:

You know what really pisses me off? That there hasn't been an active shooter that targets rich people and celebrities ever. I heard Bohemian Grove has lovely security so you could definitely go in when they are sacrificing a "pizza" to whatever sumerian monster/demon they worship and murk a bunch of tech billionaires and foreign policy+national security mummies.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Serf posted:

no way in hell will they ever let anyone without at least a million in the bank live forever
You me and Alex Jones are gonna take dmt and hook ourselves up to the god machine where we will rule the multiverse for 6 eternities while Elon Musk fucks around in the Oort cloud scavenging dust to survive

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Autism Sneaks posted:

Jumping onto a sinking ship just for the prospect of getting into one of the lifeboats isn't a great plan.

It's better than just jumping between sinking ships tho

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Plutonis posted:

Just throw some heroin needles into Silicon Valley corporate ballpits.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

ur golden now

yea lets not have a repeat of how lf ended the first time fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

i mean if I could bring back one thing from the lf glory days it would be more like hailing satan