Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Man, I'm frustrated here. Playing as Ireland, I press a claim for a kinsman on the kingdom of England. The tooltip says that Mr. MacKinsman will become my vassal if he's of my dynasty. He is. I press the claim, get 100% warscore and the tooltip for the enforce peace dialog box says "Mr. MacKinsman will NOT become your landed vassal." Then the dude just becomes the king of England and all I've got to show for it is a bunch of corpse-strewn fields in northern England. I've done this twice now and it's happened the same way both times. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
He's equal rank to you(Both Kings), so he goes independent.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A king can't be a vassal to a king. Politics like that are why you push for empire potentially before you even hit primogeniture.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Man, I'm frustrated here. Playing as Ireland, I press a claim for a kinsman on the kingdom of England. The tooltip says that Mr. MacKinsman will become my vassal if he's of my dynasty. He is. I press the claim, get 100% warscore and the tooltip for the enforce peace dialog box says "Mr. MacKinsman will NOT become your landed vassal." Then the dude just becomes the king of England and all I've got to show for it is a bunch of corpse-strewn fields in northern England. I've done this twice now and it's happened the same way both times. What am I missing?

A king can't be a vassal to another king, you need to have a higher-rank title (emperor).

It's not like you've completely lost out, though. Now that the title's in your dynasty, you've enormously increased the chances that you'll be within a few mysterious deaths of inheriting it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

A king can't be a vassal to another king, you need to have a higher-rank title (emperor).

It's not like you've completely lost out, though. Now that the title's in your dynasty, you've enormously increased the chances that you'll be within a few mysterious deaths of inheriting it.

Actually you don't even need to do too much murder to get a title in your dynasty on to your main character (it may take a few generations though). Arranging marriages with kin is a LOT easier than other rulers, because the resulting offspring will always be of their dynasty which is usually enough to make them happy. So you can just keep arranging marriages until the branches merge (or at least until you get a claim you can press for yourself). That is all assuming of course, that your kin can actually HOLD the title, which they are terrible at doing if you installed them by force.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually you don't even need to do too much murder to get a title in your dynasty on to your main character (it may take a few generations though). Arranging marriages with kin is a LOT easier than other rulers, because the resulting offspring will always be of their dynasty which is usually enough to make them happy. So you can just keep arranging marriages until the branches merge (or at least until you get a claim you can press for yourself). That is all assuming of course, that your kin can actually HOLD the title, which they are terrible at doing if you installed them by force.

Yeah, trying to install friendly regimes abroad never works since you have to prop them up for decades, and even if you do they may just surrender to a faction anyway.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One part of crusader kings 2 I've never fully understood was how to effectively deal with inheriting a kingdom with a totally different set of legal constraints than your own kingdom.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Yeah, trying to install friendly regimes abroad never works since you have to prop them up for decades, and even if you do they may just surrender to a faction anyway.

kind of like real life

Never change, CK2.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

kind of like real life

Never change, CK2.

Sometimes it works, but then one of those bullshit alliance-breaking events happen

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Used to be alot easier when dynasty were automatic allies and you had landed a lot of your family.
The dynasty member hammer getting dropped on some poor revolter from across the world was always hilarious.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For all the making GBS threads-on of the Charlie start, my first game with it has been pretty fun so far. I've got the entirety of Great Britain under my thumb at 1000CE with the Empire of Britannia title, and Ireland is still a fractured mess ripe for the plucking. HRE and Muslim blobs seem no worse than the 1066 start.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

lurksion posted:

Used to be alot easier when dynasty were automatic allies and you had landed a lot of your family.
The dynasty member hammer getting dropped on some poor revolter from across the world was always hilarious.

I remember an old game (pre old gods) shattered world start where I started as Bavaria (which had a easy route to a titular kingdom title in ck2+ at that time) staying in gavelkind untill I had unified de-jure Germany and managed to expand at my birthrate so by the time I founded an empire and switched succession laws I had and bunch of siblings and cousins and my vassels and every rebellion or external war one of the Dukes started was hit with a force higher than my own levies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For all the making GBS threads-on of the Charlie start, my first game with it has been pretty fun so far. I've got the entirety of Great Britain under my thumb at 1000CE with the Empire of Britannia title, and Ireland is still a fractured mess ripe for the plucking. HRE and Muslim blobs seem no worse than the 1066 start.

Usually it's more the Abbasids/Umayyads people complain about in that start than the HRE. Charlemagne starts with a huge blob and inherits another huge blob shortly after the start, which is scary right up until he dies and gavelkind splits up Europe into a huge clusterfuck that never recovers. Sometimes he manages to form the Frankish empire or (rarely) the HRE, but most of the time I end up seeing west/mid/east Francis split up among his children.

The Abbasids seem to break up a lot more reliably now for whatever reason - I'm assuming it's decadence revolts and then lots of rulers taking the independence decision. For some reason the Umayyads are a lot more stable though - I haven't really looked at it but I think they have a smaller Dynasty in general, so they're able to manage decadence a lot more successfully.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Abbasids seem to break up a lot more reliably now for whatever reason - I'm assuming it's decadence revolts and then lots of rulers taking the independence decision. For some reason the Umayyads are a lot more stable though - I haven't really looked at it but I think they have a smaller Dynasty in general, so they're able to manage decadence a lot more successfully.

The Abbasids break up reliably now because they gave the Shia Rising event some teeth. Before the Shia would get fewer troops than their target, but now they get considerably more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is the year 1067 and the Persian empire reigns supreme in the east. Reaching even into India with the emperor holding a dual title as ruler of both Rajastan and Persia.

Europe is a bit of a mess.

The Byzantines have long since turned Catholic and lost almost all of their lands to the Abbasids. Greece itself was reclaimed in a Crusade but went to some Anglo-Saxon dude who is a descendant of Ragnar Loðbrók through his son Hálfdan Hvítserk. The Byzantines have more lands in France than they have in the Balkans.

Greece is slowly becoming culturally Anglo-Saxon

and hold some lands back in Merry Old England

In the east Zoroastrianism is dominant poltically but Hinduism has also spread rapidly due to the influence of secret Hindus within the Persian empire. However their power has decreased in recent decades and almost all openly Hindu rulers have been converted or killed.

In the west Catholicsim is dominant.

So much so that even great Mali has seen the light.

Also there is something called Carinthia which is ruled by Dutch Karlings:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 19, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I've conquered Ireland and formed a kingdom, but have no idea how to conquer Britannia. What's the easiest way the conquer a kingdom? The Scots are best friends with me right now but both the King and his heir have a wife so I can't marry into the family. England and Wales disappeared under a Norse invasion who look like they could put up a much tougher fight than me. Constantly manufacturing claims on individual counties would take forever.

Also, should I be hoarding gold or spending it ASAP? I've tried to upgrade my towns and castles but it seems slow going, especially since my demense level fluctuates so much from king to king.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, a question. I'm Muslim Andalusia and the Sunni Caliphate collapsed in record loving time. It's barely 1117 and there is no Caliph and Shiism is running rampant. I kinda wanna go for the Caliphate. My understanding is that this (to me) new status of women law system will allow me to access matrilineal marriages as a Muslim ruler, meaning I could get Sayyid in my line without a binch of shenanigans. Is that right?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

I've conquered Ireland and formed a kingdom, but have no idea how to conquer Britannia. What's the easiest way the conquer a kingdom? The Scots are best friends with me right now but both the King and his heir have a wife so I can't marry into the family. England and Wales disappeared under a Norse invasion who look like they could put up a much tougher fight than me. Constantly manufacturing claims on individual counties would take forever.

Also, should I be hoarding gold or spending it ASAP? I've tried to upgrade my towns and castles but it seems slow going, especially since my demense level fluctuates so much from king to king.

If you're friendly with the Scots and your both about equal power it could be good to try and get in with the heir's second heir (so 4th in line to the throne) then once the marriage is secured :hist101: his way to the top. Otherwise look for people with claims to Scotland and try invite them to court (if they're already married then :hist101:), marry them to someone of your dynasty (again ideally your heir) and press for war. Either way be aware that until you personally own both crowns you won't be able to hold Scotland and Ireland at the same time as a King cannot be vassal to another King.

As for upgrading only ever do your own personally held castles and even then you want to be only really bothering with increasing your levies. If your demesne level is fluctuating so much then just focus on your capital province for now. That said if you want to be ambitious save all your money till you take Middlesex, make it your capital and spend all your money there - it's the best holding in Britannia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, a question. I'm Muslim Andalusia and the Sunni Caliphate collapsed in record loving time. It's barely 1117 and there is no Caliph and Shiism is running rampant. I kinda wanna go for the Caliphate. My understanding is that this (to me) new status of women law system will allow me to access matrilineal marriages as a Muslim ruler, meaning I could get Sayyid in my line without a binch of shenanigans. Is that right?

I've never tried it, but you might be correct, in theory.

I don't think other Muslim realms will agree to matri marriages unless they also have women equality, but that only means you need to invite a Sayyid to your court. More serious is the requirement of thousand of cultural tech points to reach the Tolerance tier that allows you to institute equality. If you've pursued a learning or diplomacy education, went mutatelite and always joined the Hermetics, you might have a lot of points. But you should check how far away you are, tech point wise.

And if I remember correctly, only being Mirza instead of Sayyid only means you need 1000 piety more, which isn't hard to come by as a Muslim. So you would only need a Sayyid mother for your heir, which should be easier than complicated matri marriage schemes. But I'm phoneposting, so I can't look it up right now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GamingHyena posted:

Try looking at major dukes in their kingdoms, seeing if any of their heirs are unmarried. Not as satisfying as snapping up the whole kingdom in one goal, but gobbling it up one duchy at a time will probably be easier as a smaller kingdom.

Hoard your gold, only spend it when you have a ton saved up (at least a year's worth) or when you're in a war. Always being able to afford more mercenaries if things go sour is incredibly valuable.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Mercenaries are a huuuge drain on cash, so unless you're already rolling in cash you want to avoid them if at all possible. At smaller levels though, having that extra money can really keep finances from being a concern if a war drags on or you decide you want to invade someone really quickly. Otherwise, the cost of keeping your own personal levies raised can throw you into debt.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

I've never tried it, but you might be correct, in theory.

I don't think other Muslim realms will agree to matri marriages unless they also have women equality, but that only means you need to invite a Sayyid to your court. More serious is the requirement of thousand of cultural tech points to reach the Tolerance tier that allows you to institute equality. If you've pursued a learning or diplomacy education, went mutatelite and always joined the Hermetics, you might have a lot of points. But you should check how far away you are, tech point wise.

And if I remember correctly, only being Mirza instead of Sayyid only means you need 1000 piety more, which isn't hard to come by as a Muslim. So you would only need a Sayyid mother for your heir, which should be easier than complicated matri marriage schemes. But I'm phoneposting, so I can't look it up right now.

I have a preposterous tech gain rate due to a succession of Mutazilite Hermetics. The current guy is Learning 45. This is the main reason I'm considering the Tolerance route :v:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yep, it's actually fairly feasible to max out tolerance with a dedicated focus on learning and various events (e.g. observatory, etc) in a surprisingly short period of time (i.e. 2-3 admittedly long-lived generations)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 19, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm playing as Ireland after never giving it a go. I was worried it would be boring.

About 5 minutes into my game I recruit a Sunni doctor who converts my king so my whole game has become uniting island and turning the UK into a muslim kingdom.
So far I have united Ireland and become Feudal but not made a lot of progress otherwise, I have managed to hold my own in every battle after initially losing to Scotland, becoming a vassal then winning my independence. I can't risk holy wars without the whole of Britain and France invading me so I'm going to have to eat little bits of Scotland peice by peice first, or would England be a better idea, its still fairly divided but the Scottish regularly invade me every decade or so for the last 150 years?
I kind of feel like I should have stayed Tribal for longer and just conquested the whole thing by stacking Prestige then summoning 25k troops, but the income was too poor.

Is there any way to spread religion outside your own borders?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

You can proselytize in pagan kingdoms, although it usually just results in getting your priest imprisoned. If you're feeling ambitious and have some extra cash, you can try to use favors to get a neighbor's heir to come to your court and then demand he convert, or to set yourself as the heir's educator.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I've been progressing pretty well in an Ireland 1066 game, now in the year ~1200. I've taken all of Ireland, most of Scotland, I've started on Wales, and I've been chipping away at England's holding's in Scotland whenever they go through revolts. I'm definitely at my demesne limit, and basically anything I conquer needs to go to a vassal. I hold most of southern Ireland in my own Demesne, including Dublinn, my capital, + 2 castle holdings in dublinn. My question is should I be continuing to hold onto the two castle holdings in Dublinn or should I have long ago gotten rid of those in favor of two more counties?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You want most of your holds to be in your capital (I assume Dublin is your capital county) because that county is immediately affected by your changes in technology, your capital county modifiers from events, and any modifiers from placing courtiers there. So you want to consolidate as many castles in as few a counties as possible so that when you get bonuses they affect a max number of personal holdings.

At least that is my take on it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

So I've been progressing pretty well in an Ireland 1066 game, now in the year ~1200. I've taken all of Ireland, most of Scotland, I've started on Wales, and I've been chipping away at England's holding's in Scotland whenever they go through revolts. I'm definitely at my demesne limit, and basically anything I conquer needs to go to a vassal. I hold most of southern Ireland in my own Demesne, including Dublinn, my capital, + 2 castle holdings in dublinn. My question is should I be continuing to hold onto the two castle holdings in Dublinn or should I have long ago gotten rid of those in favor of two more counties?

Personally holding multiple castles in a single county is preferable to holding castles in multiple counties, because there are a lot of ways to get positive modifiers and bonuses that affect all holdings in a single county. If you use those modifiers on a county where you personally hold multiple castles, you get much greater benefit than if you only have one holding in the county.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cool, so the answer is, yes, continue to hold those two castles in my capital. I have 8 other counties, each of which have 2 castles. I own the country seat/capital/castle in each of those counties. Should I shed some of those counties and instead try to hold 4 counties and all castles within those counties or keep things as they are?

Example: I own Desmond and Thurmond. They both have an extra castle that I built, which i do not own. Should I ditch one so I can own the other county and the castle in its holdings?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You would want to do that, but make sure you the provinces you own way castles in are in the de jure duchy your capital is located in. Your levy size is increased by 50% in your capital County and 25% in counties in your capitals duchy.

druthers
Oct 12, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

I'm playing as Ireland after never giving it a go. I was worried it would be boring.

About 5 minutes into my game I recruit a Sunni doctor who converts my king so my whole game has become uniting island and turning the UK into a muslim kingdom.
So far I have united Ireland and become Feudal but not made a lot of progress otherwise, I have managed to hold my own in every battle after initially losing to Scotland, becoming a vassal then winning my independence. I can't risk holy wars without the whole of Britain and France invading me so I'm going to have to eat little bits of Scotland peice by peice first, or would England be a better idea, its still fairly divided but the Scottish regularly invade me every decade or so for the last 150 years?
I kind of feel like I should have stayed Tribal for longer and just conquested the whole thing by stacking Prestige then summoning 25k troops, but the income was too poor.

Before you launch a holy war, make everyone who is likely to join into a tributary.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the best way to get a claim on the baronies in your capitol county, so that I can plot to revoke them?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to get a claim on the baronies in your capitol county, so that I can plot to revoke them?

Wait until there's no heir and stab the owner.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
If you can grant them independence (different religion or not de-jure vassal) the holdings are easy to siege back, though suffer penalties for a while.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I thought people were exaggerating a bit about secret societies, but my entire empire, including a bunch of recently conquered Orthodox provinces, just turned Shia overnight on the order of some random courtier. Like, I'd rather be overthrown by all my vassals because at least they'd have to earn it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

My poor poor son....

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 22, 2017

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Technowolf posted:

Wait until there's no heir and stab the owner.

Or stab all the heirs, you can usually find people willing to help for baronies since your court can get involved.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ElBrak posted:

My poor poor son....
[Looks at traits]
[Looks at ongoing plots]
[Looks at modifiers]

Hmmmm, don't really see wha

OH. OHHHHH

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer