Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
That "threat" from Russia is quite literally unbelievable. The seized properties mean nothing outside of the property tax bills, and even if Russia was serious about getting them back, it would be in exchange for something - like getting tough on Assad. Russia knows Trump can't be seen giving in to threats, so I'd chalk this up to a weak attempt to show some distance between Trump and Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This guy makes a good point about the Trump-Putin meeting:

https://twitter.com/strobetalbott/status/887463399449350145

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
[quote="“empty whippet box”" post="“474502005”"]
What would Obama have done if the Russians were threatening him via twitter, I wonder?
[/quote]

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TyrantWD posted:

That "threat" from Russia is quite literally unbelievable. The seized properties mean nothing outside of the property tax bills, and even if Russia was serious about getting them back, it would be in exchange for something - like getting tough on Assad. Russia knows Trump can't be seen giving in to threats, so I'd chalk this up to a weak attempt to show some distance between Trump and Russia.

I think it's just an exercise in pushing trump's buttons. Amps up pressure, if Trump gives in America looks weak, if Trump resists it disrupts the "Putin's Pawn" narrative.

If Putin's goal is just causing chaos and weakening America's image, his actions don't have to have specific goals, he's just introducing chaos into the system. Putin is maintaining that he didn't hack the elections, so either Trump agrees (and gives them back and looks like a sap) or doesn't (in which case trump gets to look independent and Russia has an excuse to act indignant and push more buttons).

Obama should have had some of the russian hackers assassinated.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Obama should have had some of the russian hackers assassinated.

Ah yes, I was just thinking "you know, I wish Obama would have droned more people to death."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

Correct me please if I am wrong but other than obvious present... issues that hold office - Isn't the (military) threat from Russia just all the leftover cold war junk (besides the pile of warheads? I'd like to think that's a different question.) I mean yeah it's easy to steal parts of Ukraine, if that's what they are armed with too. But less, see!

Not that I'm trying to equate Russia's Trump poo poo with this, I just I am curious : are they standing on thin legs militarily?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 19, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can see the fear in Putin's eye.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ah yes, I was just thinking "you know, I wish Obama would have droned more people to death."

The problem is that he didn't drone the right people

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

Trump's been trying to find a way to lift sanctions and give everything back to Russia in exchange for nothing since before he was inaugurated. He's been weaker on the topic of Russia than anyone could have imagined he'd be. How is that not being seen giving in to threats? Everyone's been saying it's because he's compromised and treasonous this whole time, and he knows it.

It's an actual threat, and he's going to try to give in to it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Boris Galerkin posted:

Droning those hackers and causing a Hillary victory would have led to significantly less civilian deaths than the Trump admin has already caused.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/president-trumps-air-war-kills-12-civilians-per-day

Of course it could also have led to a real war with Russia which would be terrible.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spacebump posted:

Of course it could also have led to a real war with Russia which would be terrible.

Nah, the whole point is that the hackers Aren't russians. Right? Right?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Mustached Demon posted:

No but you see now America has a strong leader.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Thaddius the Large posted:

I like how the people arguing single payer is cost prohibitive leave out the part where they're okay with poor people dying. Like, okay, even if we accept the idea that it's more expensive, you're okay with consigning people to die of preventable and treatable issues, just because they're born to a certain class? Say what you will about Republicans, at least they're open about their disregard for human life.

this is real dumb, btw. Pointing out that implementing single payer in the US as it stands today isn't as simple as waving a magic wand and summoning the healthcare fairy doesnt actually mean that you are glad that that is the case

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

empty whippet box posted:

What would Obama have done if the Russians were threatening him via twitter, I wonder?

Laughed his rear end off, probably. You can come at Obama from angles on the left or on the right, but one angle you sure as gently caress can't use is that he's easily upset or baited. Dude is absolutely the most stone-cold motherfucker.

Fake e; I mean that's why Key and Peele had a whole "Anger translator" bit they used for years.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FizFashizzle posted:

Also is Trump a Texas or Tennessee fan now?

either way lol

Clearly Texas. He relates to a team that a few people think have promise but end up getting clowned on repeatedly.

He'd at least try to play his rivals, though.

Whoop, motherfuckers

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The advantage of rolling out the Medicaid expansion is you don't even need new legislation, you just need to pressure the poo poo out of the states/governors and Kansas shows that you could flip the redder states. The other stuff is a longer term objective, flipping some more states into the expansion could be done before 2018 mid terms and thus is a more practicable 'next step'.

If we had a Democratic administration right now, this would be a thing that'd be happening by making DOT subsidies contingent on it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Liquid Communism posted:

If we had a Democratic administration right now, this would be a thing that'd be happening by making DOT subsidies contingent on it.

Didn't the SC rule that kind of bundling unconstitutional, hence why the states weren't forced to expand medicaid like the Bill actually said?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Laughed his rear end off, probably. You can come at Obama from angles on the left or on the right, but one angle you sure as gently caress can't use is that he's easily upset or baited. Dude is absolutely the most stone-cold motherfucker.

Fake e; I mean that's why Key and Peele had a whole "Anger translator" bit they used for years.

That's only in public, btw. There are stories about him becoming absolutely furious at Clinton after she talked poo poo behind his back about him and his foreign policy wrt Middle East.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarantula posted:

No but you see now America has a strong leader.

Obama has the perfect "I'm disappointed in you, son" look all fathers should master.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

That's only in public, btw. There are stories about him becoming absolutely furious at Clinton after she talked poo poo behind his back about him and his foreign policy wrt Middle East.

Can I get a link, yo?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Reminder he and Clinton knew about Osama getting killed while doing the WH dinner.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Obama has the perfect "I'm disappointed in you, son" look all fathers should master.

You can even see in Putin's eyes that he thought about pissing himself.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

awesmoe posted:

this is real dumb, btw. Pointing out that implementing single payer in the US as it stands today isn't as simple as waving a magic wand and summoning the healthcare fairy doesnt actually mean that you are glad that that is the case

Lol.

"I'm not against single payer!" wails man while relentlessly strawmanning single-payer as a fantastical fairy tale concept relying on the existence of actual magic.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Obama: "Try me little man..."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah sure but you still have issues like your most common medical devices (hip knee etc) are basically ancient technology at this point. They're like a circumcision for residents (see one, do one, teach one.)

Whatever RD cost you could possibly have at this point has obviously already been offset, and the US is still embarrassingly more expensive than any other country in the world. This is for knee replacements.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/189975/cost-of-a-knee-replacement-in-various-countries/

Now they're constantly remaking stuff, and the point of contention has always been the strength of the material v how readily the body accepts it, but at some point that just doesn't matter anymore. you're getting a knee replacement at 60, it doesn't matter if it's projected to last 20-25 years, certainly not enough to drive the entire cost of the procedure up.

RD is the go to excuse for all american medical industries when talking about their high prices, but it rarely holds water. It's like pharma ignoring the fact that 1/3rd of their budget goes to lobbying and advertising. The main reasons these things cost so much less in other countries is you have a massive centralized healthcare authority that can lean on them, and it takes away tons of the redundant and competing administrative jobs that just drive up prices.

The other argument is that healthcare prices around the world would soar if the US citizen wasn't essentially subsidizing medical care, since Stryker or Johnson and Johnson can afford to sell knee replacements in india for 100 dollars as long as americans are paying 40k for the procedure. But these companies aren't going to stop making things just because their profit margins took a hit. And your biggest biotech research places aren't in the private sector; they're at MIT, or Cal Berkley, or Georgia Tech. A friend of mine who's currently a chair at Duke did all of his research out of the Tech labs and turned it into a publicly traded company. He also started another company out of Brown I think that was bought by the military.

Just as a heads up, the majority of R&D spending for a med device company isn't necessarily on developing the device, it's on getting the device to market. You buy a startup with a technology you like (or run an internal program and hope it bears fruit), and once you have that technology, you spin up a team to refine it, test it, retest it, test it again, refine it again, test it, keep testing it, qualify the equipment for the fourth time, redesign the equipment, refine the design again, pass the now rerererefined design over to CE Mark/FDA and hope they accept it enough for you to test the son of a bitch yet again, and then finally after enough clinical cases and all of the testing work (several years), you have a marketable product. It's not a cheap or a fast process.

And yes, the devices are constantly refined. Keep in mind that what you see on market is only very rarely the actual most advanced device that a company is working with. It takes time to get stuff through clinical trials and to get it approved by regulatory bodies. Also keep in mind that after a device is released to market, it both needs to be produced and teams of doctors need to be trained on the new procedures, so the rollout for procedures isn't necessarily all that swift.

My personal expertise is in cardiovascular implants, and there have been huge advances in even just the past decade to the point where some procedures no longer call for open heart surgery. Yes, companies charge more for the device, but it's legitimately both significantly more complicated and costly to make (some delivery systems are one-shot disposable devices that cost in the hundreds to thousands to manufacture), and also a giant step forward for patient welfare.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Maybe this is a generalization, but I've noticed that kind of stoniness in a lot of Black Civic leaders. I think it comes from the knowledge that no matter how in the right you are, you will be punished severely for any reaction you might make in the face of outrageous bigotry.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

My personal expertise is in cardiovascular implants, and they've been feeding me these lines so I could regurgitate them since I began!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's the same sort of thought behind a lot of antiscience bullshit, by the way.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Lol.

"I'm not against single payer!" wails man while relentlessly strawmanning single-payer as a fantastical fairy tale concept relying on the existence of actual magic.

I think he is just pointing out that logistically America is completely un-prepared to implement something like single payer, I am 100% for single payer but the amount of states rights bullshit and madness it would cause rolling it out while worth it is sort of insane to think about.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

That's the same sort of thought behind a lot of antiscience bullshit, by the way.

Medical costs aren't high because of loving R&D, they're high because 350million people in this country do not collectively bargain on the bill.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Meant to post in cspam thread

Anyway I asked a couple times, but what is there to know about Christopher Wray? is he any good?

Edit: https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/status/887518739494842368

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 19, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

Medical costs aren't high because of loving R&D, they're high because 350million people in this country do not collectively bargain on the bill.

Don't pretend there's not an ever-increasing cost associated with new technology development. It's a cost driver that must be accounted for.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

Not sure if this was brought up but from earlier today:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/887335851528728576

:negative:

It's like ... the gently caress? The polling was all done 3-6 days after Jr released the emails himself.

I have no idea how the political climate in this country gets unfucked.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

i am harry posted:

I work in R&D. Corporate R&D programs that are fully funded spend money so rapidly it'd make your head spin. If you told me that the burn rate for some of the programs I've been on is on the order of $100million a year, I'd ask you if you're sure that the number is actually that low. Keep in mind that not only do not all programs pan out (though most of those are on a smaller scale and probably only burn a few million a year), but even successful programs take years to actually hit the market, and even once they hit the market there's a whole rollout process where the product has to gradually release as surgeons are trained in the product's use and as manufacturing is scaled up to where it needs to be.

That being said, I personally welcome single-payer; I want everyone to have healthcare and to afford healthcare. I'm in the industry that I'm in because what I do helps to save lives and improve patient quality of life. The procedure that I'm personally working on will not only allow people who previously couldn't be treated to be treated, but it will also dramatically reduce the impact of the procedure on their lives. I'm proud of that, and while I personally hope that nobody ever has to use the devices that I work on, I want everyone who needs one to get access to it without being ruined financially.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Meant to post in cspam thread

Anyway I asked a couple times, but what is there to know about Christopher Wray? is he any good?

Edit: https://twitter.com/RepBarbaraLee/status/887518739494842368

What does this mean?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Covok posted:

What does this mean?
Barbara Lee introduced an amendment to the DOD appropriations bill that would repeal the authorization of military force passed in the wake of 9/11 which has, over 16 years, turned into a blanket authorization to bomb any slightly-brownish people without Congressional approval.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/yashar/status/887506272194629632
2https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/887458344717385729
3https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/887417632869281792
4https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/887345849176662016
5https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/887346642810281984
6https://twitter.com/MarlowNYC/status/887568714861883393
7https://twitter.com/JaredMMFA/status/887398248289271809
8https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/887420319476195328
9https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/887370111857852416
10https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/887552682340356097
:siren: 11https://twitter.com/Shareblue/status/887552698022866944 :siren:
12https://twitter.com/Shareblue/status/887558641989144576
13https://twitter.com/KatieBoWill/status/887410702843039746
14https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/887450495706689536
15https://twitter.com/dellcam/status/887380229299331072
16https://twitter.com/NSArchive/status/887403113979817984
17https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/887390396929761281
18https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/887563115604389888
:siren: 19https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/887552657124200448 :siren:
20https://twitter.com/JeffFlake/status/887490249013825536
21https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/887563925935542272
22https://twitter.com/Wonkette/status/887540024169959424
23https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/887422941201399808
24https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/887545086107693057
25https://twitter.com/remarksist/status/887418448711622656
26https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/887502270824419329

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 19, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

Truly America needs a real Statesman who can give all problems a stern staredown, and do noting else about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Sanctions might as well be nothing I guess.

• Locked thread