Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I out of my mind for thinking that this is a reasonable price for something I'd gladly drive to 300k?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-318is-coupe-4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hi guys what's goin on in - hmm ok ok well gotta go!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Am I out of my mind for thinking that this is a reasonable price for something I'd gladly drive to 300k?

325iS or dont bother.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

Dude you're high. Go back to shopping for a porsche

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

HAHAHA 17K for what was one of the slowest and most terrible BMW's to have existed?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAHA 17K for what was one of the slowest and most terrible BMW's to have existed?

318is cars (at least in the US) are all of the IS options (LSD, sport suspension, etc) but with a twin cam 4 cylinder, not the old M10. They're a less front heavy 325is minus some torque.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I should start buying California E30's and selling them to goons, clearly

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Hi guys what's goin on in - hmm ok ok well gotta go!
Yo just don't post instead of posting about not posting.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I should start buying California E30's and selling them to goons, clearly

I live on the west coast but trying to find a clean E30 is like looking for a high school graduate in a vape store.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno, accept a date with this person and then bring your fiance along. Talk about her and cars and nothing else, see if the shine comes off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
it is really hosed up and weird to me that rhyno turned out to be some hateful transphobe bigot

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Whyyy do I ever click "view post"?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They're not bad actually, having driven a few recently. Yeah, I always used to laugh at "318" but that's an IS in the USA so 20kw more than normal. And that interior is loving awesome. But it's not a $17k+ awesome car

E: Also does everyone else hate BAT listings now? Terribly written and all sorts of fluff and poo poo which is usually about Seller says their previous owner/the person they bought it from did/said this blah blah - So most of the time it's just some flipper chucking stuff up on BAT for their "investment". That's annoying in itself the fact but the main point is i) person who did the work or looked after it isn't selling it, ii)terrible writing - maybe because of that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

fridge corn posted:

it is really hosed up and weird to me that rhyno turned out to be some hateful transphobe bigot
I don't think this is true. There's just a lot of unnecessary details that he thinks mattered. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

"A person is stalking me. They creep me out. The rest of the details are as follows:" That's all we need.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fo3 posted:

They're not bad actually, having driven a few recently. Yeah, I always used to laugh at "318" but that's an IS in the USA so 20kw more than normal. And that interior is loving awesome. But it's not a $17k+ awesome car

I'm not in the market, but comparing it to a F-- BMW, which have no attraction to me, I think "For a practically new low mileage example of a car nobody will ever make again, that has a lot more character and fun than 17k of modern steel."

My point is I don't think the price is crazy when you're basically paying for a time machine to go back to when BMW made fun and attractive cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think I come off as a transphobe bigot. Yeah, probably too much detail but I started word vomiting when it hit me that they started following me home after work.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

blk posted:

I'm not in the market, but comparing it to a F-- BMW, which have no attraction to me, I think "For a practically new low mileage example of a car nobody will ever make again, that has a lot more character and fun than 17k of modern steel."

My point is I don't think the price is crazy when you're basically paying for a time machine to go back to when BMW made fun and attractive cars.

I was in the market for them recently, despite everyone on AI in the US was going crazy when they got about $5k. I believe they are good cars and they are worth decent money, like 7-9k. I was hoping to get one below $5k due to my budget though and that's a lot harder here.
Nothing Japanese or euro ford from the 70s/80s is below 20k here and I think e30s will go up still and are a cult car. That said, it's BAT hype car so you will over pay compared to what you can find if you look around.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Rhyno posted:

I don't think I come off as a transphobe bigot. Yeah, probably too much detail but I started word vomiting when it hit me that they started following me home after work.

I don't think that you did. :)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I was in the market for them recently, despite everyone on AI in the US was going crazy when they got about $5k. I believe they are good cars and they are worth decent money, like 7-9k. I was hoping to get one below $5k due to my budget though and that's a lot harder here.
Nothing Japanese or euro ford from the 70s/80s is below 20k here and I think e30s will go up still and are a cult car. That said, it's BAT hype car so you will over pay compared to what you can find if you look around.

Yeah, unfortunately that's true of everything on BAT these days. What was supposed to be the antithesis of Hemmings etc became that which it despised.

I wanted to pick up the Peugeot 405 Mi16 far more than any E30, but even THAT went for substantially more than it's worth.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In other more car related news, I decided to do a compression check in my new-to-me V70R while I had the coilpacks out for replacement. I figured it'd just confirm that everything is fine, and I start testing... 110, 110, 110, 110... 70. gently caress.

Keeping in mind I tested it stone cold, having not been run for several days, the car runs really well and has no symptoms of badness, I'm not quite into full panic mode yet. I went ahead and ordered a leakdown tester for a proper check, and even though it sucks to do I'll do it on a hot engine. But I really hope the PO didn't gently caress me over. I do not want to do a head or even head gasket.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Fridge is trolling obviously.

There's nothing wrong with telling someone to gently caress off when they won't leave you alone. Gender doesn't matter in that situation.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Absolutely. I think all that we're (well, others) were trying to say is that, IF gender was going to factor into a defense, you had better be as neutral and correct as possible. Because getting it wrong or even appearing that you don't care can get you in hot water very quickly.

The argument, even minus the gender flavortext, is still very valid and troubling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

I have a question

What makes a steering wheel do this?
Was it owned by a woman?

No, seriously. It seems that a common cause of that stuff on contact points of interior trim is hand cream/moisturiser, there's something about it that attacks them. I don't know if it's because men generally don't use the stuff, or if they do, it's a different type, but usually when I see that damage, it's a girl's car.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

There's nothing wrong with telling someone to gently caress off when they won't leave you alone. Gender doesn't matter in that situation.
A factor here is the apparent willingness of his stalker to try and call him a bigot because he's rejecting them. That can only happen because the examples he's given are a gay man and someone who's transgender, so it's relevant for it to be included in the explanation of what's going on.

And guys, I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and assume you really are concerned with helping Rhyno avoid getting himself trapped by inadvertently saying things that would make his stalker's claims seem valid. But you should probably work on your delivery/tone, it comes across like a stereotypical cut and paste "educate yourself", rather than your primary concern being to help the actual victim of this scenario.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

A factor here is the apparent willingness of his stalker to try and call him a bigot because he's rejecting them. That can only happen because the examples he's given are a gay man and someone who's transgender, so it's relevant for it to be included in the explanation of what's going on.

It's relevant in his explanation, I just think you shouldn't be afraid to reject someones advances because you're worried about repercussions based on their gender/race/religion, whatever. The whole situation is ridiculous.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's relevant in his explanation, I just think you shouldn't be afraid to reject someones advances because you're worried about repercussions based on their gender/race/religion, whatever. The whole situation is ridiculous.
I agree, but this poo poo is real, and he's right to be worried about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
'you do you'

I've been hit on by all sexes. *shrug* Politely decline and go about your day

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno you should just have awkward, boring, unfulfilling sex with your stalker. They'll soon leave you alone.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

cursedshitbox posted:

'you do you'

I've been hit on by all sexes. *shrug* Politely decline and go about your day

Most of the time that works great, but sometimes the person doesn't take no for an answer and gets weird about it in a horrific variety of ways.

Haven't had it happen to me but watched it go down with a friend who was polite and refused, over and over till he was facing false rape claims. Rejection does weird poo poo to some people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Politely decline seems to have earned himself a stalker with backup. Video evidence backed up online and repeated reports to the police as personal defense, "I'm engaged to be married to someone well out of my league" as reputational defense.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

And guys, I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and assume you really are concerned with helping Rhyno avoid getting himself trapped by inadvertently saying things that would make his stalker's claims seem valid. But you should probably work on your delivery/tone, it comes across like a stereotypical cut and paste "educate yourself", rather than your primary concern being to help the actual victim of this scenario.

You said what I was thinking more tactfully than I could put.

JFC, the guy's legit afraid of being sexually assaulted, let's have a bit of support here.

Rhyno, no-one should leave in fear of being attacked and you shouldn't put up with it.
I would suggest that you keep a diary of all the events, so that if you have to explain it to someone, you have clear notes of what happened and when. It makes it easy to prove that there is pattern and not just paranoia or occasional coincidence. Witness are perfect if you can get them. Recordings can be good, but hard to obtain.

Then, when you have a significant amount, show them to someone else and get them to give you an honest opinion of how strong a case you have. Then officially escalate it to law enforcement.

It's not right and you should not be victimised.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Recording everything is a drat good idea.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Rhyno you should just have awkward, boring, unfulfilling sex with your stalker. They'll soon leave you alone.

I agree just suck her dick and be done with it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

scuz posted:

In other news, I've become obsessed with MR2 AW11s because I
1.) already attempted to service a VW W8 so how hard could this be, and
2.) I like things that are angled, and
3.) I want my "race car" to not pull any punches and let me know just exactly how good/bad of a driver I am.
Do it, they're great cars. I've been thinking of one for a daily that isn't quite as ridiculous as a lotus 7

blk posted:

drat that's clean. Expensive for an E30 but price isn't unreasonable considering options, year, etc. I wouldn't pay that for it but that seems to be the way the trend is going.

Fo3 posted:

E: Also does everyone else hate BAT listings now? Terribly written and all sorts of fluff and poo poo which is usually about Seller says their previous owner/the person they bought it from did/said this blah blah - So most of the time it's just some flipper chucking stuff up on BAT for their "investment". That's annoying in itself the fact but the main point is i) person who did the work or looked after it isn't selling it, ii)terrible writing - maybe because of that.
From kimbo's thread the listings are all pretty much the same because BAT writers are the ones doing it. If I remember right he wasn't really happy with the listing because it focused on crap that wasn't a huge deal while ignoring some important things that may have helped it sell higher. Honestly it seems like the auctions are declining in quality and it's the same poo poo every time for the most part but that's just IMO

House closing quickly approaching, need to get a few quotes for putting in flooring but also wondering if I should just do it myself. Going 'luxury' vinyl which seems easy as hell to install but I've never done it and obviously don't want to mess it up. May just go with the Home Depot contractors since we'll get the military discount and from when we got a fence quote they were competitive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

318is cars (at least in the US) are all of the IS options (LSD, sport suspension, etc) but with a twin cam 4 cylinder, not the old M10. They're a less front heavy 325is minus some torque.

I'm aware of the 318is, it's still slow, not particulary fun and still one of the shittiest BMW's to have existed. The only reason they got fellatioed by the press is RWD. That's it. The fact anyone can desire those heaps of poo poo blows my mind

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are you off your pills again? The E30 318iS is one of only about three four-cylinder 3-series you should ever buy, the others being the 320iS and M3.

It's got the same power as the contemporary M20-engined 320i, but with less weight, that weight saving coming front right near the nose.

And since when aren't they fun?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

IT'S BECAUSE I'M HANDSOME

More like HAMsome.

:btroll:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Are you off your pills again? The E30 318iS is one of only about three four-cylinder 3-series you should ever buy, the others being the 320iS and M3.

It's got the same power as the contemporary M20-engined 320i, but with less weight, that weight saving coming front right near the nose.

He's a subaru owner. Don't engage. it's like the Jeep vs Rover vs whatever crowd.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'd be on drugs if I said the 318is was good - They are loving snoozefest shitboxes, a bit of lipstick on a pig without the whole go really fast bit.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
They were overpriced when new, but for a sub $10k 1980s car they hold up well, have plenty of upgrade options due to aftermarket support and the fact BMW hardly change their engine blocks (and offered a 6 for it int he first place), means a lot can bolt in without really expensive mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

He's a subaru owner. Don't engage. it's like the Jeep vs Rover vs whatever crowd.
I have at some point been all these people.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd be on drugs if I said the 318is was good - They are loving snoozefest shitboxes, a bit of lipstick on a pig without the whole go really fast bit.
There aren't really any E30s that go really fast out the box, though.

And 140bhp in an E30 is more interesting than 50% more in something AWD.

• Locked thread