Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I tk'd my first pubbie yesterday

his name was chinanowan & he claimed to speak no english (in perfect english) & left an open mic on the nearby freeway. Oh, and he almost ran me over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Absolutely, especially when you're fighting people in houses. But the fact of the matter is, the current system only shows you relative direction of your market, but does not show you distance and is not visually represented anywhere else than your compass or map.

This is from Arma 3, but look at this picture. If you only had the compass, would you be able to spot the guy? Now you have a marker that's also tell you range, although its kind of faint and in white. Now, even if that on screen marker didn't give you distance, you could quickly figure it out by popping open your map and seeing how far it was away, if you're someone who zeroes your scope.

That marker is way more powerful than just compass direction. PS, there is a guy there. If I don't have that marker and only a compass bearing I'm guessing which tree he's behind, or maybe he's even in the rocks if my teammate wasn't specific in his call out.

OTOH a map marker indicates the direction to squaddies who aren't aligned to your current position, meaning the inaccurate bearing for a wide formation is moot. You still have to give a landmark if it's not obvious, though.

Had two memorable things last night:
First, guy managed to perfectly invert a dacia onto the hood of a parked uaz, the resulting vehicle collision ate the dacia's health quickly and killed the whole squad of 4 with the explosion before anyone could even run away, never mind jump out.
Second, got a chicken dinner with a squad as a rando, we looted, scooted, ended up moving to a central location and had all the circles close in on it, picked off people looking to outpace the blue, and it ended with me nading a pair behind a tree just before their flashbang landed nearby.
2 kills, one nade, and a chicken dinner, it was a good end to the night :cool:

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I like calling a cardinal direction and landmark when I'm not super close to people. I know it's technically the same just less actuate as a compass direction, but I feel like people are better at interpreting it as a relative direction.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

causticBeet posted:

I like calling a cardinal direction and landmark when I'm not super close to people. I know it's technically the same just less actuate as a compass direction, but I feel like people are better at interpreting it as a relative direction.

extremely :same:

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
After playing this game and not understanding how zeroing works I finally understand why untrained insurgents have such horrible aim.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lol if you don't telepathically communicate your exact sensory state to all teammates, and vice versa

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

dog is streaming doing some warm up duos and then hopefully try hard squads with more goons later.

We're going to whore out our VattHammer against his will and another twitch channel (I suppose mine since I've already seen an amazing 200% growth) for our goon community custom client acquisition project. Even if you don't want to watch a bad dog play lovely games, maybe load it up and put it on 480p and help us goons get a copy of this client anyway? If not oh well.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Jumping to avoid gunfire is really obnoxious, and I hope something is done to mitigate its effectiveness, because it is getting very tiresome to unload into someone in midair only to have nothing hit.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

RizieN posted:

dog is streaming doing some warm up duos and then hopefully try hard squads with more goons later.

We're going to whore out our VattHammer against his will and another twitch channel (I suppose mine since I've already seen an amazing 200% growth) for our goon community custom client acquisition project. Even if you don't want to watch a bad dog play lovely games, maybe load it up and put it on 480p and help us goons get a copy of this client anyway? If not oh well.

I don't have any objections to being whored out against my will.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://clips.twitch.tv/AlluringHyperSangBudStar

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Coolwhoami posted:

Jumping to avoid gunfire is really obnoxious, and I hope something is done to mitigate its effectiveness, because it is getting very tiresome to unload into someone in midair only to have nothing hit.

Have you never played a video game

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Have you never played a video game

Clearly no.

My problem isn't with them not being where I shoot, my problem is that it seems like (as far as I can tell) that the game keeps tracking them as running briefly, so if shot at where they are according to the game whiffs horribly. I like people to be where the game says they are.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Post a video (so we can all laugh at you just not shooting anywhere near them)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
If I have to cross a field and I hear bullets wiz past you bet your ballsack I'm gonna be a hopping and juking asshat

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Jabor posted:

Post a video (so we can all laugh at you just not shooting anywhere near them)

I'll have to set something up, but in the meantime this is a good demonstration of similar behavior in vehicles: https://streamable.com/3rvsd

Willfrey posted:

If I have to cross a field and I hear bullets wiz past you bet your ballsack I'm gonna be a hopping and juking asshat

That would be fine by me if the game tracked it correctly. This wasn't at a distance though, it was near point blank.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coolwhoami posted:

That would be fine by me if the game tracked it correctly. This wasn't at a distance though, it was near point blank.

Its a common theme. Seems a lot of multiplayer games poo poo themselves when the player leaves the surface. I remeber in MWO people would hammer spacebar and rounds would sail straight through.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

I'll have to set something up, but in the meantime this is a good demonstration of similar behavior in vehicles: https://streamable.com/3rvsd

You realize that's a completely different bug right

J
Jun 10, 2001

causticBeet posted:

I like cardinal directions much more in situations when shots have already been fired or are about to be fired in the next few seconds. I've never played any other games that use compass direction so it's taking me a long rear end time to get used to where to quickly look when a compass direction is called, and it gets even worse if the caller is nowhere near me.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

You realize that's a completely different bug right

Fundamentally the same thing: game is attempting to track the position of an object, but fails to update quickly enough when a change in direction occurs. In the case of the car, it treats the car as still going forward and it hits the concrete. In the case of the jumper, the game treats them as still on the ground for the purpose of anyone aiming at them, making them harder to hit both because jumping makes you harder to predict (as would be expected), and because of that discrepancy.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Coolwhoami posted:

Fundamentally the same thing: game is attempting to track the position of an object, but fails to update quickly enough when a change in direction occurs. In the case of the car, it treats the car as still going forward and it hits the concrete. In the case of the jumper, the game treats them as still on the ground for the purpose of anyone aiming at them, making them harder to hit both because jumping makes you harder to predict (as would be expected), and because of that discrepancy.

wrong, hit detection is 100% client side, you're just missing your shots lol

please post your video so we can laugh at you and get this over with

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Coolwhoami posted:

Post a video, because many of us are clearly not having the problem, or at least enough to understand what you are talking about.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just played my third match and actually fired my gun this time! Unfortunately it was set to single shot and I held the mouse button down, so it didn't go so well.

Why did I buy this when I knew I would be terrible and that my computer is terrible? It doesn't run great, but I've turned everything down super low and it will probably be tolerable. Anyone else on hand me down PCs trying to play this? I'm using i5-3570K, 8GB RAM, 660TI, and SSD. Unfortunately I'm on wifi right now and can't change to wired for another week or so, but that will hopefully help a bit?

drat zeitgeist. Still, it was cheapish and has made me finally order another 8GB stick of RAM, so not the end of the world.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Just played my third match and actually fired my gun this time! Unfortunately it was set to single shot and I held the mouse button down, so it didn't go so well.

Why did I buy this when I knew I would be terrible and that my computer is terrible? It doesn't run great, but I've turned everything down super low and it will probably be tolerable. Anyone else on hand me down PCs trying to play this? I'm using i5-3570K, 8GB RAM, 660TI, and SSD. Unfortunately I'm on wifi right now and can't change to wired for another week or so, but that will hopefully help a bit?

drat zeitgeist. Still, it was cheapish and has made me finally order another 8GB stick of RAM, so not the end of the world.

yep its that 8 gigs of ram holding ya back

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Wear headphones turned up high and give it 50-100 games, you'll get good enough that you are now the one stomping new, lovely, unaware players.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Coolwhoami posted:

They e said that once vaulting is added they're going to heavily nerf jumping iirc

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, thanks for the quick confirmation on the RAM. Hopefully doesn't take too long to get here.

Honestly I'm mostly just stoked I was able to get a four character name (names are unique, right?).

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Cool, thanks for the quick confirmation on the RAM. Hopefully doesn't take too long to get here.

Honestly I'm mostly just stoked I was able to get a four character name (names are unique, right?).

Er sorry i was being snarky. I run 8 gigs of ram on a i5 4950 with a gtx960. I can do highish settings, and I get no crazy pop-in problems like I've heard of other goons having, I only had one instance of a nearby mountain not loading in but nothing that ever effected gameplay. Its your processor/graphics card. I'd of sprang for a better graphics card first for better vram, and then best processor your current motherboard can handle.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ha, whoops, I should have guessed, but to be fair 8gb isn't a lot either and it's not like the game behaves like everything else so that could have been it. I'm fine running everything on low. We'll see how much the RAM helps I guess before I try to scrounge up another video card.

Or maybe it will all get magically optimized really well in the next update. :shobon:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I bought this game so my 11 year old nephew would have someone to play duos with. We've had some close games where we've gotten into the final 4-6 but have never been able to clinch the win. I think it was mainly our positioning that was weak, my nephew has a tendency to expose himself recklessly when going for shots. But I feel like he's getting a better sense for when to expose himself and when to wait.

We managed to secure our first chicken dinner tonight after 3 weeks. Feels good man. Both of us shouting WOOHOO CHICKEN DINNER into our mics like idiots.

odiv posted:

Ha, whoops, I should have guessed, but to be fair 8gb isn't a lot either and it's not like the game behaves like everything else so that could have been it. I'm fine running everything on low. We'll see how much the RAM helps I guess before I try to scrounge up another video card.

Or maybe it will all get magically optimized really well in the next update. :shobon:

You really need at least 16gb in my experience. I had 8gb and the game ran like poo poo even when everything else on my computer was closed. Was paging like mad to the HD after the first match, sometimes during it. Upgraded to 16gb and it's much better and I don't have to shut everything down to play.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is it just me or have the servers been poo poo lately? Every once in a while my friend and I will both get that "network lag" error at the same time, like the entire server has poo poo the bed or something.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
There seems to be a trend of people upgrading from 8 gigs RAM to 16 and seeing a noticeable improvement. It's definitely a good move

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Is it just me or have the servers been poo poo lately? Every once in a while my friend and I will both get that "network lag" error at the same time, like the entire server has poo poo the bed or something.

I just played a game that kicked out 40 players at the start, then I watched some dude get about 15 kills by 1911 headshot within 2 minutes on the kill feed so he must have found the lagged-out motherlode. Got ~20 seconds of network lag every 2 min. So the game ended up between like 40 actual humans, which was interesting. (still got 4 kills hooray)

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

so my 11 year old nephew. We've never been able to clinch. I think it was mainly our positioning that was weak, my nephew has a tendency to expose himself recklessly But I feel like he's getting a better sense for when to expose himself and when to wait. Feels good man. Both of us shouting WOOHOO CHICKEN DINNER

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

The servers got DDOS'd for a while by morons mad that Doc got temp banned for TKing (no I'm not joking)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

odiv posted:

Game runs better with some things on medium rather than low, no idea why. Should experiment turning graphics up and see if it improves.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Saddest Robot posted:

I bought this game so my 11 year old nephew would have someone to play duos with.

Do his parents know that this game is rated M for Mature? You should let his parents know about all of the Steam Parental Controls that are available.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I think if we keep spamming PU's twitter with requests for car horns, he'll have no choice but to cave in and give them to us. I already started it up, probably won't do it every day, but we'll see.

https://twitter.com/weedbabygoku420/status/887432609814503426

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

WirelessPillow posted:

Game runs better with some things on medium rather than low, no idea why. Should experiment turning graphics up and see if it improves.

Putting things on low puts more strain on the cpu. Turning them up puts it onto the gpu.

Idk why low settings are processed by the cpu but theres probably a reason

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

underage at the vape shop posted:

Idk why low settings are processed by the cpu but theres probably a reason
It's about balance. Lots of people have pretty good CPUs but garbage GPUs, especially on laptops. Shifting some of the burden off of a GPU that's about to melt under the load and on to a CPU that's otherwise not doing much can improve performance dramatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

are invisble parachutes still a thing, cause they very much feel like a thing when I'm looking in every direction once from the start of the fall to the pop. I expect to 1v1 someone and it's 1v1v1v1v1v1.

• Locked thread