Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

WampaLord posted:

You're fishmeching here.

Not sure what you mean by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it'll always be insane that anyone says "jews aren't a race" after 1945.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Not sure what you mean by this.

You're being pedantic about a point I'm not really going for. I don't actually care how the Photoshop thread is moderated.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

WampaLord posted:

You're being pedantic about a point I'm not really going for. I don't actually care how the Photoshop thread is moderated.

WampaLord posted:

The Photoshop thread isn't on YouTube racking up millions and millions of views by impressionable children.

Scale matters. I don't have the energy to go attack every single racist online, I only care about the big influentials ones.

One of your points is that SA punishes against offensive jokes which really isn't the case as it's fully subjective. Two is I don't see the reason that anyone who posts on the threads are small scale racists which your post above seems to be going for.

I mean if your point is that "PewdiePie is just a closet racist using poo poo jokes to get a message across" than yes I can see what your are going for. However I am just clearly stating the above isn't entirely true.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

One of your points is that SA punishes against offensive jokes which really isn't the case as it's fully subjective. Two is I don't see the reason that anyone who posts on the threads are small scale racists which your post above seems to be going for.

My point about SA is that even with how awful we are, we still have limits. I'm not interested in arguing about if those limits are being enforced correctly or not, that's a discussion for QCS.

I retract my point claiming that there are small scale racists in that thread, as I haven't actually read the thread and was just going by what you has said, but really everyone is small scale racist in some ways.

Extreme0 posted:

I mean if your point is that "PewdiePie is just a closet racist using poo poo jokes to get a message across" than yes I can see what your are going for.

Ding ding ding

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it'll always be insane that anyone says "jews aren't a race" after 1945.

Yeah it's a race for these people and that's enough for the discussion.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Ding ding ding

Oh i already knew about the point you were making. I just wanted to clear something up was all. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if pewdiepie came out as racist or anything.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah it's a race for these people and that's enough for the discussion.

I wonder if anyone's ever done a skit in which some SS guard stops a jewish person and says "You're a jew, come with me!", only to have the person go "Actually, I just converted to Zoroastrism."

"Huh. Well, carry on, then!"

On less happy angles, I had a friend in high school that was black and jewish, and he said that he got no end of crap from orthodox types when he visited Israel. They kept saying that whatever rabbi that did his Bar Mitzvah was out of his mind. :(

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
that joke doesn't work because the nazis thought judaism worked by birth, so if one of your grand parents was jewish you would be considered jewish.

converting or not, your blood was tainted.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yes that is exactly his point, building off of mine

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Monglo posted:

Jews are not a race btw. So you'd be incorrect even if he did mean it when he said kill the jews. Which he didn't.
Why are you so quick to throw around hurtful insults like racist? It devalues the word. When there's a real case of racism, you don't want everyone to equate it with what PewDiePie joked around once in his YouTube video. Racism is a serious issue, bro.
"Jews are not a race". You just filled up my "literally a neonazi" bingo card, congrats. What chapter of Aryan nation are you with?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sephyr posted:

On less happy angles, I had a friend in high school that was black and jewish, and he said that he got no end of crap from orthodox types when he visited Israel. They kept saying that whatever rabbi that did his Bar Mitzvah was out of his mind. :(
Yeah, that's one of the more legitimate criticisms of Orthodox Judaism. When you have people who are massively concerned about their family 'marrying out' and also believe that you're not a real Jew if you're a convert, especially in certain very specific cases, it's often just a cover for them really being anti-miscegenation racists.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

"Jews are not a race". You just filled up my "literally a neonazi" bingo card, congrats. What chapter of Aryan nation are you with?

Lets pull things back a bit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What should we not call people out for obvious dog whistles? Would we respect someone who talks about gangsters, super predators, etc?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

khwarezm posted:

Lets pull things back a bit.

Have you ever heard someone make the 'Jews/Muslims are not a race' argument where the implication wasn't 'so bigotry against them is OK'?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I have a good litmus test for this kind of stuff. When loving Stormfront starts saying your their favorite YouTuber, maybe rethink your style of humor.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, that's one of the more legitimate criticisms of Orthodox Judaism. When you have people who are massively concerned about their family 'marrying out' and also believe that you're not a real Jew if you're a convert, especially in certain very specific cases, it's often just a cover for them really being anti-miscegenation racists.

There are also people like my cousins - a Orthodox rabbi and his wife, a prominent Jewish educator. They couldn't have biological kids themselves, so adopted from all over the world. My cousins have all different colors of skin, and it's hard to argue that the rabbi's kids aren't Jewish. Very much brought some racist attitudes to the forefront in their communities over the years. And it's always interesting to see how people react to my family photos.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Just watched this video, and while it shouldn't be hilarious, it totally is.

1. The literal Platonic form of Nice Guy TM - "The girls don't appreciate your good qualities over these bad boys with their good looks and charm." Obviously these guys shouldn't have to compromise on looks or whatever superficial things they find most important. They're important and deserve whatever woman they want.

2. "She'll come around when she's 30 or so, but then you'll turn her down because she slept with other people." I doubt that any of these Nice Guys will appear any nicer at 30. And again, complaining about not getting sex while turning down a woman because you don't like that she's not some virgin.

3. "Women don't like Nice Guys because they can just go on social services now." Surprisingly, most people aren't on any sort of welfare payments, though I'm sure Molyneux will find some way to define it so that if you get a tax return, you're technically getting money from the government or some such nonsense. And of course there's nothing better than roping some poor woman into a marriage that she can't leave out of legal/social ramifications. I hear that makes for the best and longest lasting loves.

4. The line about women spending most of their 20s pregnant or raising a child back in the good old days. Couldn't imagine why women might want birth control or to avoid this.

5. There was no Friend Zone when Shakespeare was alive. Technically true, but women also couldn't tell their partners no, and could be married off by their fathers against their will. So yes, you didn't need to worry about getting turned down when the women you asked was seen as a piece of meat instead of a human being.

I'm sure I missed at least 2-3 other stupid points in this video. It's like he managed to pack an hour's worth of his normal stupid into a 10 minute video. I legit don't understand why there are guys nodding along with him, because they have to understand how pathetic it makes them look.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Haha, 1:33.

"Damaged goods from a huge amount of injections."

That's me, as a type 1 diabetic!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I made in thirty seconds in, barely.

He looks rapey. It was seriously off-putting.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wrath of Mordark posted:

Haha, 1:33.

"Damaged goods from a huge amount of injections."

That's me, as a type 1 diabetic!

See, I knew I missed something. That video is straight dumb and every dumb thing you pull of the pile uncovers another three.

On some level, I'm angry this dude has an internet cult. But on another more basic level, I'm just bemused. The man's a good speaker from a technical sense, but he does even get to the Ron Paul standard five minute mark before the crazy comes out in full force.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
He seriously looks too old to be spouting such poo poo.

Like you get to your late twenties/early thirties and you start to think that maybe there's no actual basis in reality for all your awful thoughts and so you start to settle down and shut the gently caress up about the friend zone. Something something too many dongs.

But not this guy.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jfood posted:

I made in thirty seconds in, barely.

He looks rapey. It was seriously off-putting.

Don't worry, the stuff he's saying is pretty rapey too. And I've seen some of his way less grounded videos. The dude can seriously throw out some internet crazy when he wants to.

quote:

He seriously looks too old to be spouting such poo poo.

Like you get to your late twenties/early thirties and you start to think that maybe there's no actual basis in reality for all your awful thoughts and so you start to settle down and shut the gently caress up about the friend zone. Something something too many dongs.

But not this guy.

IIRC, he gets money that would make Sargon blush. He's one of the first guys to seriously monetize the man-o-sphere, and his cash is outside patreon or the like so it's effectively dark.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 19, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Alt righters love con artists and their longwinded speeches because they enjoy projection of authority/intelligence much more than whatever basic principles that actual intellectuals really follow. I imagine a lot of them have never actually experienced any sort of intellectual authority before in their life. Threads about Jordan Peterson are a great example of this whenever he gets posted on reddit. Hundreds of people will join with comments praising every single concept he brings up, as if they think Peterson is coming up with stuff like "alienation" or "social construct" in the heat of the moment.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

JVNO posted:

Have you ever heard someone make the 'Jews/Muslims are not a race' argument where the implication wasn't 'so bigotry against them is OK'?

What should we not call people out for obvious dog whistles? Would we respect someone who talks about gangsters, super predators, etc?

I think maybe straight up calling the guy a neonazi when he's probably just stupid or pedantic is kind of unhelpful.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JVNO posted:

Yes. Mostly because it's just straight up inaccurate use of language. The correct term to use against people spouting that kind of hatred would be "That's loving bigoted".

Yes I am aware that most people against Muslims are infact against anyone Arabic looking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Yes. Mostly because it's just straight up inaccurate use of language. The correct term to use against people spouting that kind of hatred would be "That's loving bigoted".

Yes I am aware that most people against Muslims are infact against anyone Arabic looking.

It's one of the most insincere arguments I see online and I'm more frustrated that people don't do what I did and go "Okay, pretend I said 'bigoted' instead of racist and finish your argument" because I think it's a great counter rather than get into a whole hullabaloo about defining what "race" is.

Because really the goal is to expose them to onlookers at that point, I've never seen someone make a "But X aren't a race!" argument who wasn't being a terrible bigot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Except Jew is a race, because race is a social construct defined by racist people. So because Nazis defined Jew by ancestry, nose shape, hair type, etc. It is a race.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Aside from that, how is calling someone a bigot/being a bigot somehow LESS bad than being racist? They are both quite bad. And it is not like saying bigot instead of racist is going to make ANY difference in how people respond to such call-outs. I can call someone a sexist instead of a misogynist and they will still be a GODDAMN DICK about it. I can say it very nicely and say "the thing you said/did was sexist" instead of saying "you are sexist" and I guarantee MOST people will react badly. I will do it anyway. As a person in a privileged position I think I should deal with the discomfort of calling out other white people on their poo poo.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Except Jew is a race, because race is a social construct defined by racist people. So because Nazis defined Jew by ancestry, nose shape, hair type, etc. It is a race.

It's more that the Jewish people themselves, at least in harder line populations consider themselves a race and not just a faith. I was talking to a friend recently that's grown up around alot of Jewish people, and one of the big concerns for more orthodox people at the moment is that the younger generation are ok with relationships outside of the people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Why are we having a conversation on whether Jews are a race or an ethnicity? The point, I believe the original poster was making was that right-wingers like attacking them via "jokes", however you classify them.

rkajdi posted:

Just watched this video, and while it shouldn't be hilarious, it totally is.

1. The literal Platonic form of Nice Guy TM - "The girls don't appreciate your good qualities over these bad boys with their good looks and charm." Obviously these guys shouldn't have to compromise on looks or whatever superficial things they find most important. They're important and deserve whatever woman they want.

2. "She'll come around when she's 30 or so, but then you'll turn her down because she slept with other people." I doubt that any of these Nice Guys will appear any nicer at 30. And again, complaining about not getting sex while turning down a woman because you don't like that she's not some virgin.

3. "Women don't like Nice Guys because they can just go on social services now." Surprisingly, most people aren't on any sort of welfare payments, though I'm sure Molyneux will find some way to define it so that if you get a tax return, you're technically getting money from the government or some such nonsense. And of course there's nothing better than roping some poor woman into a marriage that she can't leave out of legal/social ramifications. I hear that makes for the best and longest lasting loves.

4. The line about women spending most of their 20s pregnant or raising a child back in the good old days. Couldn't imagine why women might want birth control or to avoid this.

5. There was no Friend Zone when Shakespeare was alive. Technically true, but women also couldn't tell their partners no, and could be married off by their fathers against their will. So yes, you didn't need to worry about getting turned down when the women you asked was seen as a piece of meat instead of a human being.

I'm sure I missed at least 2-3 other stupid points in this video. It's like he managed to pack an hour's worth of his normal stupid into a 10 minute video. I legit don't understand why there are guys nodding along with him, because they have to understand how pathetic it makes them look.

In my less mature days, I could see how someone who's been rejected by a lot of women would be smitten with this dude and people like him. They argue from the perspective that it's not your fault at all if a girl isn't attracted to you, and if she doesn't have enough common sense to give you a blowjob at any time, she's a selfish, stuck-up slut who deserves to be treated like poo poo by abusive "bad-boy" boyfriends.

Then you look back at what the implication is of such a mindset and you just want to take a very, very long shower.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

You stated SA would ban people for going over the line with jokes despite the many threads (for example the Photoshop threads) pretty much doing that without punishment. The case isn't so much that the joke is offensive (There have been offensive jokes in the past be unpunished because it's actually funny) but rather if it's just poo poo laughable joke that really dosen't offer anything to the discussion and only makes the user posting it an idiot.

I actually agree with this, but as others have noted in this case it's also PewDiePie being a shithead.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Interweb posted:

Why are we having a conversation on whether Jews are a race or an ethnicity? The point, I believe the original poster was making was that right-wingers like attacking them via "jokes", however you classify them.

Nah, we're mostly having a conversation about a racist rear end in a top hat trying to play word games, and then 2-3 other posters defedning him because they're pendantic and/or supporters.

quote:

In my less mature days, I could see how someone who's been rejected by a lot of women would be smitten with this dude and people like him. They argue from the perspective that it's not your fault at all if a girl isn't attracted to you, and if she doesn't have enough common sense to give you a blowjob at any time, she's a selfish, stuck-up slut who deserves to be treated like poo poo by abusive "bad-boy" boyfriends.

Then you look back at what the implication is of such a mindset and you just want to take a very, very long shower.

Oddly enough, I was sort of in one of those relationships when I was younger. It was slightly different because we did have sex occasionally, which honestly only made things more difficult. Thing is, when it ended and I was left with a life that could be safely described as a trash pile, and I actually figured out where to put the blame: Myself. If your relationships with everyone around you are a mess, the problem isn't other people, it's you. The level of head up rear end required to think otherwise in scenarios like this is insane.

And having heard callers into his show before (like in his Great Replacement vid) I'm not convinced these are young, dumb men. They're the standard marginal computer janitor that's at best hill rich, and bitter that nobody wants to screw them because they are massively awful people. They're literally that dumbass that we all laughed at years ago with the "carried a printer three miles" story, but grown up and still without a clue that real world relationships don't work like Bioware romances.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Using terminology like "racist" incorrectly devalues both the word and your position.
If you're a person calling PewDiePie a Nazi racist, it's clear you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Monglo posted:

Using terminology like "racist" incorrectly devalues both the word and your position.
If you're a person calling PewDiePie a Nazi racist, it's clear you have nothing worthwhile to add to the discussion.

Yeah, using the word to describe bigotry against the victims the largest organized genocide of the 20th century is devaluing it. Concern troll or pedant somewhere else, this thread if for insulting autodidact wankers on YouTube.

And arguing there's some difference between an asshat who goes around in a Nazi uniform getting some idiot to yell "Death to Jews" for him and whatever pedantic definition you've come up with for a Nazi is a distinction without a difference.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

http://www.laughspin.com/louis-c-k-to-jon-stewart-lets-get-back-together-and-kill-the-jews-video/

The video I was talking about was from an open mic, but here he's saying kill the jews on Jon Stewart.
You are wrong to say that there are limits to humour. That's like the first thing you realize when you start writing jokes and being funny. Maybe you should try it.

I've never seen you make a single joke, so I don't know why you're giving advice about it.

Edit

Haha, wow,you sure tipped your hand early. Now tell us about how the Holocaust didn't actually happen.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 19, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Monglo posted:

We're only calling him a Nazi racist ironically. Our actions and their effects are identical to what they would be if we were sincere, sure, but it's ironic, so you aren't allowed to get mad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Monglo posted:

Agreed, racist describes him and his actions just fine, there's no need to throw in nazi.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
You're right, sorry - I'll try and concentrate on making jokes next time. I just don't like when people go overboard with the nazi-calling, it's really dumb. Hyperbolic, insulting and uncompromising. That's not the way to go if you want to fix things. And if you don't, why do you care that someone's being bigoted?
It's hypocritical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Monglo posted:

You're right, sorry - I'll try and concentrate on making jokes next time. I just don't like when people go overboard with the nazi-calling, it's really dumb. Hyperbolic, insulting and uncompromising. That's not the way to go if you want to fix things. And if you don't, why do you care that someone's being bigoted?
It's hypocritical.

Learn to take a joke, Mr Funnyman.

• Locked thread