Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

trucutru posted:

First Toops, then GORF, soon :fuzzknot:?

Time are changing, political dissidents gets released. Soon the ELE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Free Tophat imo

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Pakistan

Hi Muneer.

Totally not doxxing because, well it's a bit obvious.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't speak enough German to feel clear on the matter but it seems to me that they must be especially uncritical of bullshit over there.

Is has to do with the history of pc gaming and pc magazines here in Germany : Wing Commander was a big system seller back in the 486 CPU days. It helped promoting title stories as well and on top of that we Germans love Science Fiction stuff. Our oldschool Gaming Nerds Love Star Wars and poo poo and we dig sci fi simulations.
The Gaming Journalism boomed in the 90s here and some think they still owe Chris Roberts something, because - as you can see - they get exclusive stuff first and that means earning Euros.
Furthermore PC Games and Gamestar are known CR fanboys, F42 is a "german" studio, so it is a CIG homezone over here.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Also they will print everything because they are in dire straights and need ad money from publishers.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Munin posted:

Star Citizen: Shadows on the Wall of a Cave

"Socrates concludes that the prisoners, if they were able, would therefore reach out and kill anyone who attempted to drag them out of the cave."

Star Citizen:The Allegory of the Parp

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Hopper posted:

Also they will print everything because they are in dire straights and need ad money from publishers.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Chin up Derek, they think LoD is bad but they also think ED is poo poo so you are in good company. Id be more bothered if they thought LoD was good :-)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Maw posted:

Space Court imo
:same:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
GameStar's role in this, as far as CIG is concerned, is similar to that other guy who got a tour around a CIG office or something and got to write to reddit or make a youtube about it, I don't remember.

Mainly it boils down to a 3rd party saying "3.0 is real you guys. The videos were totally not fake. But there are still a few issues with it".*

All this so that backers can put their minds to rest for a bit (lol, no their minds haven't really worked in years or they'd seen the scam) and have some "ammunition" for critical goon reddit posts / complaints, while another ship sale is happening, and delays are announced because 3.0 is certainly not actually getting released any time soon.

* Ofcourse it is easy to see -- I don't think they even try to hide it -- that quite a bit of what they report for 3.0 is actually someone from CIG pretending to be playing last years "demo", or someone from CIG talking to them about what will totally be in 3.0. Their hands on is quite different, limited (or non-existent) and definitely unpolished and performing badly.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Hobold posted:

No. I loving refuse to believe that this poo poo was not posted by a troll. There is no way in hell that a living breathing person actually thinks that way.

What the gently caress am I saying. The Cheeto exists. :negative:

But don't you love how he says 'it is pretty commonly known concept'? Don't you know that the best way of reinforcing your point is to be a condescending rear end in a top hat?

But yeah, there are people that are confusing 'truth' with 'interpretation of facts'. We live in a society, where people think that climate change and statistics are racist, after all.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Toblakai posted:

We live in a society, where people think that climate change and statistics are racist, after all.

Someone once tried to goad me into an argument about this.
And how airports were racist because they only existed around low value housing.
All major industrial structures were racist for existing only around the poor houses.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Colostomy Bag posted:

We can't handle the truth.

:byodood:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

:byodood::five::byodood:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
The last 40 or so pages have been amazing, good work everyone.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6o5aji/comment/dkerget?st=J5AXBXGV&sh=ab5c9a9d

Can't wait for 2025!

Hell, just hold off releasing until 2035 even, and spend all that time making SC the most fidelitous possible!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

MedicineHut posted:

"Star Citizen is supposed to host many thousands or even millions of players on a server... Star Citizen is to have a nearly unique server structure in its release : Virtually all players of the space simulation should share a single, persistent instance of the MMOG universe. And that could be millions of people, as long as they were a sales success."

I mean, how much bullshit is too much bullshit even for Star Citizen?

What happens when 719,000 commandos press <USE> on the same Big Bennys machine, simultaneously?

Hammerstein posted:

Hoho, German gaming mag Pcgames.de called Derek Smart a "gescheiterter Entwickler" - a failed developer.

quote:

Star Citizen-Troll Derek Smart ist ein cuntiflas.

Countdown to lawsuit

:popeye:

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Yes, the fact is that a day and night cycle is doable.
The only day night cycle is done by their crunch-time programmers.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Flarpy posted:

The only day night cycle is done by their crunch-time programmers.

Well this is mitigated by the fact that CIG have offices all over the world, this allows them to crunch for more than 24 hours a day, and they can work more man hours than those evil publishers who over work their staff, and furthermore...

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Mr Fronts posted:

What happens when 719,000 commandos press <USE> on the same Big Bennys machine, simultaneously?

Jokes on you. Interacting with Big Benny vending machine is completely client side. Take that goonie. Furthermore...

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
This is what SC is doing to my brain.

http://i.imgur.com/s7ClyHa.jpg

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Sarsapariller posted:

God drat it the more I think about this the dumber it gets. A house cat is a dangerous predator. The fact that you called it a loving house cat does not make it a terrifying threat to a mouse! Star Citizen has a bunch of facts that point to it being a scam- if you disagree, present the evidence that convinced you otherwise. Otherwise you're just derailing by claiming you have some kind of line on an ultimate cosmic truth (Star Citizen is Good) and waving your hands as to why. "Truth can only be determined by the person who possesses all the facts" and then he doesn't follow up with a single fact that contradicts the version of "Truth" that he disagrees with.
His statement is stupid on so many levels. It's the sort of exercise you'd pull with grade schoolers who in all likelihood would imagine something like a tiger or a wolf or velociraptor. Then when Mrs. Anderson reveals to her fourth grade science class that, no, it's a house cat, the class goes "oooooooooh" because it's self-evident that it's true but they already formed an image based on a preconceived notion about what to expect. So it becomes a valuable lesson in biases and not letting personal preferences cloud your interpretation of the data. Let the data tell you what the conclusion is, don't look for the conclusion you want in the data.

The idiot flips it around and instantly disproves the point he was trying to make because of course the data says that SC is not good, will not be good, and is built on a pile of broken promises at best and a whole lotta lies at worst. So either he's someone who's been institutionalized his entire life and has never experienced the joy of knowing what a pet is and thus thinks cats aren't murderous fur bags that snuggle you after decimating the local bird population, in which case he's deserving of a great deal of pity, or he's trying to use some undigested bit about philosophy in science and being too far up his own rear end to realize that it says precisely what he doesn't want.

It's like fractal idiocy; you keep zooming in on different aspects and you find different ways the guy is wrong.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Hobold posted:

Someone once tried to goad me into an argument about this.
And how airports were racist because they only existed around low value housing.
All major industrial structures were racist for existing only around the poor houses.

:psyduck:

Ok, those are new to me.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Does anyone have that photo of Hoboman wrapped up in his blankey?

I need it. For science.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

HKS posted:

Just wait till they get to the anger stage and start 'demanding answers' from CIG. It will be hilarious.

I hope this post will be ripe for quoting mid 2018.

Straight White Shark posted:

I don't pay that much attention to SC but is this all actually how it "works" (for lack of a better term)? Because if so then :lol:

Space Crabs posted:

It's some speculation that is derived from some facts.

The visor splash has been mocked a million times, because it's been seen in a ton of videos. You get a crysis suit visor water effect from crysis 3 when you go change elevation sometimes. Cryengine has water underneath all of it's maps as a function of the engine. It's been more of a random bug than easily reproduceable though, since most of the time you would cross the invisible surface boundary you are in a spaceship. CIG themselves admitted they couldn't remove the water, so you extrapolate that out to they made it invisible since you still have the exosuit visor splash effect and can't see the water.

The ships are obviously in NOCLIP, anyone who has played a game with NOCLIP can see that.

There are camera bugs with distorted bodies in Crysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbOxieWCmDY

Which matches things like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsnKbOi-bM

And all the distorted body stretching images we've mocked endlessly.

The size issue is the only thing that is pure speculation. They dramatically increased the size of the play area somehow, while still being unable to remove the visor splash or fly with anything but NOCLIP, so the easiest explanation is they made everything smaller by changing some positioning and scale variables.

Imagine Crysis 1 and make all the jeeps and characters the size of grains of sand. The island would be unimaginably huge, but then you'd run into glitches trying to track locations for things that small, and a grain of sand getting into a grain of sand jeep starts glitching out due to position errors from items smaller than the engine was designed to track being inside eachother. Position changes like 1.001 -> 1.002 -> 1.003 become 0.0000101 -> 0.0000102 -> 0.0000103 which would cause more bugs since your engine has a margin of error when processing the positions of objects, so if you shrink everything that margin of error might not change in size but it has a much greater impact.

Like a 1% margin of error for 100 votes is 1 vote. A 1% margin of error for 1,000,000 votes is 10,000 votes. A collision/position glitch might move your character at 1.0 scale .01 units and cause a slight shudder. But a collision/position glitch of .01 at 0.00001 scale causes you to be flung into outer space and become a twisted horror since it's no longer 1/100th of a step it's 1,000 steps. Which we make fun of all the time since commandos fly in all directions at the speed of light.

Basically the entire thing smells of a mod since the only changes from 2.0 -> 2.6 are just variable adjustments. It makes even more sense when you see Chris Roberts completely focused on working on and releasing Squadron 42. So in my mind they ignored the persistent universe until Squadron 42's overblown cinematic horseshit became impossible and are now switching focus to the persistent universe which hasn't worked and would have never worked from the start.

So now we are waiting for things like Star Marine, which is a separate module you load into probably at actual 1.0 scale but still possessing crysis bugs they can't remove. It's basically just Crysis 1 multiplayer with reskinned exosuits in space maps with a star skybox instead of a blue sky.

If 3.0 is another separate module without the seamless orbit to surface transitions and you just click a moons name and it loads you on a ground map it's just another mod of the base cryengine and now full size exosuits are reskinned to be space armor and crysis jeeps now look like land rovers and you zoom around running into invisible borders it's basically just a reskinned car segment from Crysis 3 or a flat island from Crysis 1.

This is just me talking though, because if this is actually whats happening it's probably legally actionable as fraud.

:swoon:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Xaerael posted:

Does anyone have that photo of Hoboman wrapped up in his blankey?

I need it. For science.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfZNx8KVIAAU9B2.jpg:large

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 19, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6o50t4/a_relatively_big_facebook_gaming_page_posted_a/dkeulng/?context=3

more, "you can't just know logic, academic citations please" stuff. Its the weirdest part of the subreddit culture in my opinion.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016
Dont worry, the atv today will renew everyones faith.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

crisp roberts posted:

Dont worry, the atv today will renew everyones faith.

Faith renewing day is tomorrow, because Friday is schedule report day and they need the faith to be strong.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Perfect, tyvm.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think AtV is going to have the German with the 1,000 yard stare. Who knows when they filmed it considering he has been on vacation.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6o40ga/star_citizen_development_progress_infographic/

Wow I have been reading that Reddit thread and just reading the mental gymnastics is making me feel tired!

I love how GORF returns after months and months away and with one forum post creates the biggest, ripest shitstorm we have seen in a long time.

Welcome back man :D

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think AtV is going to have the German with the 1,000 yard stare. Who knows when they filmed it considering he has been on vacation.

Isn't he the only dude who is actually somewhat qualified for the head position? No wonder.

But for real that dude needs the vacation he looks like hell.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

That's why we use layers :grin:

Speaking of which, Gorf's chart debut made me think about my article from Nov 2, 2016 in which I cited sources who had said that Croberts was lying his rear end off at GamesCom and that 3.0 DID NOT EXIST. Almost a YEAR later, now we know, don't we.

Go on, you can say it:

DEREK SMART WAS RIGHT :gary::yarg:

DEREK SMART TOTALLY CALLED IT :boom: :omarcomin:

:vince:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
So I played Elite for several hours yesterday for the first time.

I could go into the good and bad parts of the game (I have an overall positive opinion so far and am looking forward to getting home from work to play more) but I don't really want to go into minutiae like that because theres a bigger elephant in the room.

How DARE SC people even put this game's name in their mouths, let alone in a less than complimentary manner. This games does almost everything star citizen WISHES it could do someday except for fps. Its frankly just insulting.

Like goddamn its rich. 154 million rich.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Isn't he the only dude who is actually somewhat qualified for the head position? No wonder.

But for real that dude needs the vacation he looks like hell.

He is one of the few that knows the sickening facts and truth.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I can't wait for the 3.0 invisible walls to be revealed. Seriously does anybody here think CIG interns figured out how to make an entire sphere map in Lumberyard? Not happening.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

So I played Elite for several hours yesterday for the first time.

I could go into the good and bad parts of the game (I have an overall positive opinion so far and am looking forward to getting home from work to play more) but I don't really want to go into minutiae like that because theres a bigger elephant in the room.

How DARE SC people even put this game's name in their mouths, let alone in a less than complimentary manner. This games does almost everything star citizen wishes it could do someday except for fps. Its frankly just insulting.

Like goddamn its rich. 154 million rich.

It's pretty simple. Elite you will eventually get bored with. STAR CITIZEN WILL NEVER BE BORING YOU CAN PLAY IT FOR ALWAY

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: Lacking context

:psyduck:

If only GORF's chart had explained in minute detail with quotes directly from Chris Roberts himself would his chart have been factual. Right now, it's only truthful.

You fucker, GORF! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

StarBegotten posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6o40ga/star_citizen_development_progress_infographic/

Wow I have been reading that Reddit thread and just reading the mental gymnastics is making me feel tired!

I love how GORF returns after months and months away and with one forum post creates the biggest, ripest shitstorm we have seen in a long time.

Welcome back man :D

Yeah it's loving beautiful. Usually there are hopeful, reasonable (if cherry-picked) top posts on SC related news in r/games but this the graphic and it's accompanying post make a compelling argument. It's even more beautiful that the infographic was converted with some effort into a text post by a disappointed backer who's upset about the feature cuts and is sick of being dogpiled in the SC sub.