Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goose willis posted:

What is the release schedule for the announced codices?

There isn't even a release date for the space marine codex as far as I know. Other than "this month"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I think the unofficial order is Space Marines, Deathguard, Grey Knights and Chaos Marines and then something else

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

There isn't even a release date for the space marine codex as far as I know. Other than "this month"
Pre-orders are this weekend, so the marine codex is releasing on the 29th.

As for the rest, all we know is that the Grey Knights, Chaos Marines, and Death Guard are the next three. I don't even think we know the actual order and we definitely don't know the schedule. I'd hope a book like Grey Knights which will get very little model support, if any at all, would be able to follow up in like two weeks, but we'll see. They said 10 books by Christmas so maybe.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Given how the last few editions have gone, I'd rather wait a little longer and not end up with the equivalent of the 6th Ed. Dark Angels codex, or 7th Ed. Ork codex.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Nothing was worse than the 6th edition codex being replaced by the 7th edition one like 14 months later. I think I played about 4 games with the 6th edition one.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

panascope posted:

Nothing was worse than the 6th edition codex being replaced by the 7th edition one like 14 months later. I think I played about 4 games with the 6th edition one.

Didn't the 6th Ed. Imperial Knight codex have a life of less than 12 months?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Broken Record Talk posted:

Didn't the 6th Ed. Imperial Knight codex have a life of less than 12 months?

Pretty sure it was half that.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Tell me goons, Custom Shoulder Pads - Who has good stories/experiences, etc?

I was looking at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/popbits today, but unsure at this point. Looking for maybe some goonstimonials?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I was looking at https://www.shapeways.com/shops/popbits today, but unsure at this point. Looking for maybe some goonstimonials?

3D printed bitz? :barf: 3d Printed Terrain is okay (but still nowhere near high quality terrain) but bitz are too small, I can't imagine that working out. The resolution of the printer is going to be VERY noticable, and then good luck painting on top of that.

I mean maaaaybe that guy has a state of the art 3d printer and runs it real slow but I loving doubt it. The fact that all the pictures are CG renders is super skeevy to me. I wouldn't do that at all.

Find somebody who makes actual plastic or resin or even metal bits and use those instead. Probably cheaper than those prices even. But maybe you won't be able to find the designs you want.

Look for something like http://www.spellcrow.com/wolves-space-knights-heavy-shoulder-pads-p-398.html or https://puppetswar.eu/category.php?id_category=198 but again, dunno what style you're looking for exactly. Maybe try greenstuffing it?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 19, 2017

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

Satisfied customer. I have yet to subject them to any real-world (gaming) use, but they show up looking pretty crisp. You can see some fine ridges on the finished product after priming, but A) it's not super obvious and B) you could probably take it down with a diamond file or some fine sandpaper.

The shoulder pads are a lot more expensive than the discrete icons (10 for $18 as opposed to 60 for the same price), and side-by-side with GW pads you can tell they aren't exactly the same dimensions (wider rims, no detailing on the inside edge).

Also he seems to be going on a tear adding new options, and most of the relevant/memey chapters are already represented.

Zaphod42 posted:

3D printed bitz? :barf: 3d Printed Terrain is okay (but still nowhere near high quality terrain) but bitz are too small, I can't imagine that working out. The resolution of the printer is going to be VERY noticable, and then good luck painting on top of that.

I mean maaaaybe that guy has a state of the art 3d printer and runs it real slow but I loving doubt it. The fact that all the pictures are CG renders is super skeevy to me. I wouldn't do that at all.

Find somebody who makes actual plastic or resin or even metal bits and use those instead. Probably cheaper than those prices even. But maybe you won't be able to find the designs you want.

Edit: Shapeways is a printing service for creators, a bit like Etsy if Etsy had a sweatshop to make all the kitsch their creators designed. The Pop Goes the Monkey bits I've received have all been pretty good.

TyrantSabre fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 19, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

Shapeways is an industrial scale company that sells products other people make digital files for. Their SLA machines are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I haven't ordered anything personally but this is not a backyard operation.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Agreed. I bought 60 Ultimas and have been real happy. They do tend to be brittle but they fit the pad surface beautifully

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Lmao at Moon Wolves, Kings Fist and Custodian Guard

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

3D printed bitz? :barf:

TyrantSabre posted:

Satisfied customer.

Wow, I got both sides of the coin almost immediately.

@Zaphod yeah I absolutely know where you are coming from, every 3D printing thing I have seen has resulted in me thinking 'Thank god I don't require any FINE DETAIL to be 3D printed'

But people keep swearing by this guy, and the stuff he has shown printed looks alright.

I am usually okay with sculpting some simple stuff for myself, but I have hit a wall as of late and find myself thinking about going external for once.

@TyrantSabre got any pics of your shoulders at all? Do they look 'fuzzy', like some of the frosted stuff can something look?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shapeways is an industrial scale company that sells products other people make digital files for. Their SLA machines are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I haven't ordered anything personally but this is not a backyard operation.

That is a significant exception then. Anything short of super high end industrial machines and I'd say hell no, but that makes it actually feasible.

Especially given TyrantSabre's testimonial I'm impressed.

Munchables posted:

Lmao at Moon Wolves, Kings Fist and Custodian Guard

I always love seeing the "totally not copyright infringment" names for factions.

Imperial Knights, Space Egyptians, Star Vikings, etc.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

@TyrantSabre got any pics of your shoulders at all? Do they look 'fuzzy', like some of the frosted stuff can something look?

https://imgur.com/a/WXaz2 is the stuff I've gotten 'finished', but I'm not sure any of my pics are particularly helpful to you. The first two, maybe. I wanna say it has kind of a fine-grained texture when bare, and like I said the printing lines are pretty dense and subtle, but I wouldn't call it fuzzy.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The Howling Griffons bigmars earlier in the thread are from the same place iirc.

I've got some Imperial Kings Fist icons coming in a few weeks and I'll see how they work out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zaphod42 posted:

That is a significant exception then. Anything short of super high end industrial machines and I'd say hell no, but that makes it actually feasible.

Part of my job involves additive manufacturing. Any system capable of producing details down to the resolution of a 40K model is going to be a resin process like stereolithography (SLA). Formlabs has desktop SLA systems with 150 micron resolution for $3500, which could likely make these.

They really are impressive systems.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just bought some Exorcist shoulder pads. Willing to gamble a $20 on it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Have you seen the Pop Goes the Monkey icons? I was curious if they weren't as fuzzed as the full shoulder pads. It's not a large image, but the Alpha Legion set looks alright.

I've mentioned them on the show because their stuff looks interesting - the problem is, it's really hard to find photos of this stuff in the wild, just 3D renders and the occasional picture like that where it's not close enough to see how detailed it is or isn't. I'd really like it if some people posted gratuitously close but still in focus shots of those bits once they're actually painted and on models. I'm not a fan of most 3D printed stuff I've seen since even the finer resolutions haven't made anything smooth enough for my standards, least as far as I've seen.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ive often been surprised at how generous they are with replacements. Ive gotten whole boxes of stuff just for one missing head or arm. Give it a shot.

Will do, they've been generous to me in the past with some replacements but I'd be happy with just the piece tbh (Although I wouldn't complain about some extra sprues). Any idea where the batch number would be located on the Dark Imperium box? All I can find are UPCs.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Geoff Zahn posted:

Will do, they've been generous to me in the past with some replacements but I'd be happy with just the piece tbh (Although I wouldn't complain about some extra sprues). Any idea where the batch number would be located on the Dark Imperium box? All I can find are UPCs.

On the side of the slip off cover. Printed in white in a dot matrix-y way.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

And in the eyes of Games Workshop that's good enough and all they need :v:

Can you save this whiny poo poo for warseer tia

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Safety Factor posted:

You'd compare power level for the actual roll to see what you can summon and deduct points from what you've set aside once you've decided.

So, put aside X points before the battle begins, roll, get the power level, check the Daemons in the list, see what the power level for the unit is, then check the points cost to see if they (more or less) match up?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Xarlaxas posted:

So, put aside X points before the battle begins, roll, get the power level, check the Daemons in the list, see what the power level for the unit is, then check the points cost to see if they (more or less) match up?

Yep, as long as the summoned unit costs no more than the points available to you for summoning, that's the process.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whining about whining is still whining.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Corrode posted:

Yep, as long as the summoned unit costs no more than the points available to you for summoning, that's the process.

Seems a little convoluted, but I guess that's what happens when you have two points systems. At least demons basically don't have wargear options, so it should be pretty consistent?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Shapewayschat: Here's a grody zoomed-in image of some of the XXth pads with paint on.

Basically if you get all up in the model's face you can tell they're printed parts, but only barely, and anything farther away they look just as good as plastic, except crisper.

Some of the power armor pads run a bit small, though - I have a set of the serpent-in-a-knot pads, and they're in between modern scale and old-school scale. If you could use printed pads for both side they'd look alright.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I really like the chapter tactics. Everybody's getting something, and you can chose a chapter/successor to fit your play style. It's also more interesting than the various reroll bubbles in the indices.
However, I was planning on doing Imperial Fists. I'm always arguing for using lots of terrain in friendly games, and that is going to sound really suspect now :-(

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Corrode posted:

Can you save this whiny poo poo for warseer tia

Spotted the Ultramarines player

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

HardCoil posted:

I really like the chapter tactics. Everybody's getting something, and you can chose a chapter/successor to fit your play style. It's also more interesting than the various reroll bubbles in the indices.
However, I was planning on doing Imperial Fists. I'm always arguing for using lots of terrain in friendly games, and that is going to sound really suspect now :-(

If your board isn't covered in terrain, you're doing 40K wrong. It can be expensive (especially if you just do GW only terrain because you like the style / consistency) but it improves games both tactically and thematically.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Milotic posted:

If your board isn't covered in terrain, you're doing 40K wrong. It can be expensive (especially if you just do GW only terrain because you like the style / consistency) but it improves games both tactically and thematically.

Unless you're playing 8th edition :ssh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

Spotted the Ultramarines player

My dude have you not seen the Crimson Fists I've posted in this very thread

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Big difference :rolleye:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Gonna play a 2000 pt game vs. Mike Brandt tonight. Here's what I'm bringing:

2000 pt. Steel Legion List – 07.18.2017
Brigade Detachment
HQ
Company Commander w/ power sword – 34
Company Commander w/ power sword – 34
Tank Commander Punisher w/ 3 heavy bolters – 211

Troops
Infantry Squad w/ flamer – 47
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher – 45
Infantry Squad w/ grenade launcher – 45

Elites
Commissar w/ bolt pistol – 31
Commissar w/ bolt pistol – 31
Master of Ordnance – 38

Fast Attack
Scout Sentinel w/ autocannon – 50

Heavy Support
Manticore w/ heavy bolter – 133
MBT w/ 3 heavy bolters – 178
Executioner w/ 2 plasma cannons and las cannon – 202
Heavy Weapons squad w/ 3 autocannons – 57
Heavy Weapons squad w/ 3 autocannons – 57

Lord of War
Baneblade – 567

This is all WYSIWYG stuff I have conveniently stuffed into a brigade detachment. I haven't used a Baneblade yet in 8th so I figured it's time. I think I'll have fun with it. Gonna go second though lol.

My only points are that:
- grenade launchers are pants, if you can source plasma guns or just more flamers instead I think that would be better.
- master of ordnance is only worth it if running several vehicles that can get his buff, and you've only got 1 manticore. Even in an artillery list, i think the 36" minimum range for the buff to activate is really restrictive.
- I think the executioner is straight up worse than the battle tank, unless you overcharge, which even retooling 1s is a hell of a risk.

Other than that (and I appreciate it's probably a WYSIWYG, painted list) it's a good list. Best of luck, would be interested to hear how it goes.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Wtf is this that popped in my Facebook feed:
https://www.ragingheroes.com/blogs/warstages-kickstarter/kscoming

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The most grimdark of terrain projects.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Milotic posted:

I agree, but I also see how people could think that I would have that opinion because it objectively gives me an advantage over them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I've mentioned them on the show because their stuff looks interesting - the problem is, it's really hard to find photos of this stuff in the wild, just 3D renders and the occasional picture like that where it's not close enough to see how detailed it is or isn't. I'd really like it if some people posted gratuitously close but still in focus shots of those bits once they're actually painted and on models. I'm not a fan of most 3D printed stuff I've seen since even the finer resolutions haven't made anything smooth enough for my standards, least as far as I've seen.

I have a Macro lens for my phone. I'll take a close up today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Admech. As to what, we'll find out!

Mike had:
Dominus
2 enginseers
4 msu skitarii vanguard
2 msu skitarii rangers
3 dunecrawlers with neutron lasers
2 indiv. dragoons
ruststalkers
shooty electro priests
stabby electro priests
and a very mean unit of ironstriders: 4 w/ 2 lascannons, and 2 autocannons

We played a new NOVA mission he wanted to test out. We gave up after 3 because 1) it was midnight and 2) i was out of the fight. The Baneblade was laughably bad (if it moves, it hits on 5s. Seriously), and the executioner killed itself on turn 2 (though it only had 2 wounds left when it died). His ironstrider unit did 24 wounds to the Baneblade in one turn. The manticore did reasonably well, as did the regular Leman Russ. The punisher also did well, smokin a trio of admech infantry squads.

What I should have done differently: not taken a loving Baneblade. 567 pts and it did nothing. I hope in the IG codex that gets released sometime in August it gets a buff because as of right now, it's hot fuckin' garbage. I should have brought my 2 basilisks and 2 wyverns instead and switched out the executioner for something that isn't basically guaranteed to kill itself. If you roll a one while shooting with the plasma sponsons it dies, which is kinda hilarious.

The transuronic aquebuses are pretty dang good at sniping characters, though one commissar tanked a turn of shooting from them. He also got real lucky with his canticles. On turn one he selected the one that gave his whole army cover, and then rolled it on turn two and turn three. The dragoons are hard to take down with shooting. -1 to hit + cover makes them pretty tankish.

All in all it was a good learning experience.

On Saturday I'm playing my friend Greg in a big 2500 pt battle. He's got orks with a ton of walkers and a stompa. I'm really looking forward to it.

Here's what I'm thinking of taking (once again it's all fully painted WYSIWIG):

quote:

Brigade Detachment
HQ
Yarrick – 130
Primaris Psyker – 40
Primaris Psyker – 40
Troops