Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

They are now going to get their Queen out and we need a counter play immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If they do that, let's move our Queen to xd4, now they're both out on the board and we can have a real party. Then we can castle too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So what happens if they just use their pawn to capture our bishop?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hmm. I only just thought of it unfortunately, but Qxf3 from White would pile a lot of pressure on our knight at c6. They could put us in a position that either forces us to abandon castling or makes us end up sacrificing a lot of pieces to get it. Although... Qd7 looks a lot nicer now that White's f3 knight's gone, and it may actually be necessary to keep our c6 knight from buckling. I'd probably go with that next, myself.

e: ^^ well, we lose a bishop, they lost a knight, it's a roughly fair trade. And their pawn structure in front of their post-castle king gets messed up a bit, too.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 18, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Wait, you made Bxf3 without noticing Qxf3 immediately after?

:suicide:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Paul.Power posted:

Hmm. I only just thought of it unfortunately, but Qxf3 from White would pile a lot of pressure on our knight at c6. They could put us in a position that either forces us to abandon castling or makes us end up sacrificing a lot of pieces to get it. Although... Qd7 looks a lot nicer now that White's f3 knight's gone, and it may actually be necessary to keep our c6 knight from buckling. I'd probably go with that next, myself.

e: ^^ well, we lose a bishop, they lost a knight, it's a roughly fair trade. And their pawn structure in front of their post-castle king gets messed up a bit, too.

I was thinking much the same, but there's also Qb6 now that we're into a different game. I agree that the c6 knight is going to be central going forward.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

chitoryu12 posted:

So what happens if they just use their pawn to capture our bishop?

Their kingside castling defense is hosed. Whether or not White considers that more valuable than getting their queen forced out is to be determined.

As for moves we might want to look at Qb6 which would protect the threatened pieces in question. Another possibility is knight to D5 which would still gently caress with White trying to threaten our knight.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Not me. I knew full well that was a possibility.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 18, 2017

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's really not that hard to notice, both of our Knights are protected by pawns, if they move the Queen to f3 we can move our Queen up to d4 no problem, otherwise we can move the a7 pawn up to pressure the Bishop into retreating and freeing up the right side.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Y'know given how long White's taking to make their move I think we succeeded at freaking them out. Just saying...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Y'know given how long White's taking to make their move I think we succeeded at freaking them out. Just saying...

Maybe. More likely they are divided, but the best move for white now is the queen. Which probably means Qd7 is our best next move to prevent a breakthrough on our c6 knight. They need a the d4 pawn for that, but can't use it without our other knight taking it (which it has to).

We have a fighting chance.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright, do we wanna move the Queen to xd4, or move to a7 pawn to a6?

We can also move the g7 pawn up to g4 to threaten the Queen, but that'll take two turns.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I like Qxd4 here, puts us in a good central position. What traps am I missing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sure would be nice if we could get the knight into the centre. Qb6 was a bad moe but Bxf3 was just pants on head. Qdx4 protects most of our important pieces, lets do that.

Alternatively we can invite a trade on D5.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

I like Qxd4 here, puts us in a good central position. What traps am I missing?

We underdefend our knight on c6 giving White a chance to ruin our back line by sacrificing their bishop to get the queen into the back.

Now let's make something clear: odds are if White doesn't have a good enough opening or if a piece isn't threatened they're going to use their turn to castle their king. So keep that in mind for future moves.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Now we employ the Mummy's Gambit. We convince team white their mom made cookies and should go get them, and while distracted, switch a pawn over. Worked for me as a kid.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
7. ... Qxd4 8. c3 would absolutely murder our tempo. I still think Qb6 is stronger.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Qd5 threatens both the queen and the bishop on b5. Let's go for that.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I like Qd7 myself. Happy to be convinced otherwise, though.

e: although thinking it through, Qd5 is pretty good - didn't notice we had the support of the knight. Might switch to that. Although c4 would mess with it...

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 19, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Qd5 is an interesting idea. Worst case is a queen exchange with our knight in pretty good position offensively on d5. Best case they retreat their queen and we gain positioning and tempo. I'd expect Qd3 to be their reply.

I'm also ok with e6 to get our bishop out & open up castling on the king side.

There is also the option of trying for Qd6-Ng4-Qxh7# if they were to castle king-side but it requires them to castle and make one other move that doesn't put us in check, put anything in the way of our queen & gets their queen away from g4 so it doesn't just capture the knight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm voting Queen to D4. If they don't move their king, we have an angle on check. If they do, we can hit other pieces.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Paul.Power posted:

e: although thinking it through, Qd5 is pretty good - didn't notice we had the support of the knight. Might switch to that. Although c4 would mess with it...

7. ... Qd5 8. c4 Qe4+ 9. Qxe4 Nxe4, perhaps?

I'm more worried about white playing Qa3, since that would be a death sentence for our Queenside castle, or even 8. Qxc6+ xc6 9. Bxc6+, which would also ruin everything.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Erring towards Qd5 on this one; it puts White in a bad position and forces them to make a suboptimal move no matter what.

Edit: Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo we might have the big move we've been looking for. If White tries to protect their bishop by moving their knight to c3, we can nudge our queen over to e4, checking their king. If white wants to castle, they'd have to trade queens with us and it would put our knight in an optimal offensive position to continually gently caress over their castling. Scratch that, their knight to c3 would kill that plan. Nevermind :(

We could seize the advantage we've been looking for...or if White figures out that plan they'll have no choice but to trade queens with us, letting our knight go to D5 with a high chance of using it to take their right rook and gain a critical advantage in later phases of the game. Scratch this too, the knight to c3 would kill this too because god loving dammit it's in a good position.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 19, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3

Alright. At least white is back to being predictable. So long as we're forcing them to react, it helps us, but as it stands we're still at best even.

We've plenty of time, folks, so let's use it. I'd love to se everyone who makes a suggestion also suggest the next 3-6 moves they are planning to make to white's likely responses, because we are definitely in the place where a single bad move could screw us in the endgame. At the moment, we're still only down a pawn compared to white and arguably we've traded a less valuable piece for a more valuable one with that move.

So now, we have to guess where white is coming from.

Paul.Power posted:

Sure, Qd7 is a good move now. That plus the support from our non-pinned knight can stop white from pushing up with the pawn to wreck our queen side.

Qd5 kind of isn't, mostly because it invites Nc3, and then we've wasted a move double-moving our queen, which we can't afford. At the same time Nc3 protects their bishop and develops their side nicely. We ought to try and delay that some. As a general note, support for the queen is generally only valuable against the opposing queen, since any other piece would be worth suiciding to get rid of that queen. Exceptions do apply though.

Snorb posted:

Qd5 threatens both the queen and the bishop on b5. Let's go for that.

It kind of also invites an exchange. The best we can get for our money with Qd5 is a queen exchange. I don't really want that yet, unless we are forced.

Davin Valkri posted:

7. ... Qxd4 8. c3 would absolutely murder our tempo. I still think Qb6 is stronger.

Then white moves d4 pawn up a bit and we're boned queen side.

How about Nd5? No. That leaves the queen still in play to hurt us.

Qd7 and then e6 seems the best way to negate their attack, negate their possible Qh3 to threaten the queen side castle, release our bishop and threaten d5 square with something white can't break.

It also means we can get our bishop out soon and king's side castle if we need to, though unfortunately the queen is in good position to threaten that as well.

With Qd7, we can also stop a rush with d4 pawn by playing Nd5. I feel any threat to that bishop will just lead to an exchange right now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm voting Queen to D4. If they don't move their king, we have an angle on check. If they do, we can hit other pieces.

That move destroys us.

Qxd4, Bxc6, xc6, Qxc6+, Qd7, Qxa8+ (that's our rook gone), Qd8, Qxa7.

We lose our entire right side.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Okay, with the benefit of thinking it over more I'm erring towards Qd7. That being said I'm thinking a queenside castle is no longer a viable option given that their bishop could easily check our king, leading to a string of moves that would give White the tempo. We've got to get our bishop on black in play.

I'm thinking that after Qd7 we go for Pe6 then Bb4; threatening the rook that they'll try to get out of the back row or get them to move their knight on c3 if they did so. If they try to go aggressive with their bishop on black to take our left knight it would suck but we could go Be7 and still get a relatively optimal trade. After that we can kingside castle and then we'd be in business.

Odds are that White is either going to castle or go for the Kc6 move; either way it'll be a defensive set of moves that will let us set up our next attack.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dr. Snark posted:

Okay, with the benefit of thinking it over more I'm erring towards Qd7. That being said I'm thinking a queenside castle is no longer a viable option given that their bishop could easily check our king, leading to a string of moves that would give White the tempo. We've got to get our bishop on black in play.

I kind of agree, and we should consider holding off on castling until we're all cleared out and we can choose. Hoever, Qd7 still makes a tower stacked behind the queen a powerful move, and that bishop unsupported is getting no further than c6.

Considering the immediate threat to our right side, we need to play the next one defensively if we're to last into the endgame.

I say Qd7.

I'll change it later if someone comes up with a brilliant play to try.

Consider this though, after white castles and our right side is mostly clear, that white queen is gone and we have a knight on d5, we could set us up to Nf4, Qg2 and mate if the board develops that way. That might be our way into that castle. That requires us to hold d corridor though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All right, looking at the possibilities, endorsing Qd7.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Qd7 is the best move we can make, no other move comes even close.

I was joking, it's a godawful move. Qd5 or bust: everything else just isn't aggressive enough. Queen trade that gets our knight in the center people!

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Qd7 for me as well.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm convinced. Qd7.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm also convinced. Qd7.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I have to agree, Qd7 seems like the best move here out of all the options.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm OK with Qd5

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I would be good with Qd7 since trading queens right now is a bit premature and we need to get our King away from that drat Bishop.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Qd7 is the only viable line right now.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Qd7 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now for the million [currency unit of choice] question: do we queenside castle, or work to set up a kingside castle?

• Locked thread