Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It seems the Daleks haven't taken the news of the 13th Doctor's identity well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGBU5oODz8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

"There has never been a male companion." Show literally started with three companions including a male one.

To be fair he hasn't watched the show in literally half a century, that's a long time to remember the character line up. He did catch about 30 secs of one of those Simm!Master specials (with all the chicken eating) once and walked out in disgust, which isnt a reaction I can really fault.

I'd like to have him watch some NuWho; it's not often you can expose a true classic Who purist to the new stuff. It'd have to be a sedate episode though, as he hates anything noisy or fast paced or with too much CGI. I thought the Matt Smith ganger 2 partner might be a good one. Or Blink. He'd like Capaldi but I haven't seen many of those.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bolingbroke posted:

To be fair he hasn't watched the show in literally half a century, that's a long time to remember the character line up. He did catch about 30 secs of one of those Simm!Master specials (with all the chicken eating) once and walked out in disgust, which isnt a reaction I can really fault.

I'd like to have him watch some NuWho; it's not often you can expose a true classic Who purist to the new stuff. It'd have to be a sedate episode though, as he hates anything noisy or fast paced or with too much CGI. I thought the Matt Smith ganger 2 partner might be a good one. Or Blink. He'd like Capaldi but I haven't seen many of those.

Have him watch 'Dalek" with Eccleston and go from there based on his reaction.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I kind of feel that James Bond is a special case when it comes to gender/race casting. He should be a white male because he's a posh Tory oval office who murders people for the ruling elite.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

"There has never been a male companion." Show literally started with three companions including a male one.

There were times when it was only a male companion.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

I kind of feel that James Bond is a special case when it comes to gender/race casting. He should be a white male because he's a posh Tory oval office who murders people for the ruling elite.

*scribbles notes*

Make James Bond more racist and wearing a Margaret Thatcher tie with his five thousand pound suit, got it.

Notice for immediate release:

The next James Bond movie will will be focused around stopping evil doers trying to disrupt a completely legitimate arms deal with the good and just Saudis.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else, a female James Bond would cement the "it's a code name" thing for real.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Bolingbroke posted:

If he hates CGI, then "Midnight" and "Blink" don't have any, and would probably be his bag. "Heaven Sent" is always recommended, and is neither fast paced nor loud, ditto "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances". "Under the Lake/Before the Flood" (although not one of the most popular episodes) might be good for him.

e: this thread moves fast? Since when?

Murderion fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 19, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

If nothing else, a female James Bond would cement the "it's a code name" thing for real.

Skyfall put that to rest unfortunately (Spectre too, to an extent.). Just another reason to forget that film ever happened.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

James Bond is a womanizing chauvinist, typically speaking, but hell, there is no reason a theoretical Jane Bond couldn't also be a womanizing chauvinist.

There are going to be a lot of exciting little revelations next year when they start filming - who the new companion is, what Thirteen's outfit will look like, probably a new TARDIS interior, who's writing for the show...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm more excited for the new interior than 13's costume. We've had that console room for five years now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

James Bond is a womanizing chauvinist, typically speaking, but hell, there is no reason a theoretical Jane Bond couldn't also be a womanizing chauvinist.

There are going to be a lot of exciting little revelations next year when they start filming - who the new companion is, what Thirteen's outfit will look like, probably a new TARDIS interior, who's writing for the show...

95% chance the new Doctor's outfit will be a smart suit, long coat and either boots or sneakers.

Though I hope the first episode puts her in a bright neon pink dress with sequins and glitter just because it will upset certain people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Sort of Amelia Earhart / Amy Johnson type Golden Age aviatrix look might be fun; you know, fur-lined leather windcheater, jodhpurs and leather boots, white silk scarf.

If she does stick with something similar to what she had on in the teaser clip, that would be fine too. It needs something extra to personalise it but it would be a good starting point.

I'm sure they'll come up with something good; they always do.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 19, 2017

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

After The War posted:

Maera Sior asked me to post this:

I am 100% certain we will see a Lady Holmes within about 20 years, either as a full gender-swap version or a series with Holmes' daughter. We're halfway there with Elementary having a female Watson.

It'd be a show that could really work well in the late 1800s/early 1900s setting too with Lady Holmes having to deal with chauvinist crap all the time, using the fact that men don't expect a woman to be clever or a detective against them, etc. I also would get a nice chuckle if after all we know about Holmes elaborate disguises in the books and in various film and T.V. depictions she literally changes nothing about her appearance except wearing a maid uniform and gets full covert spy access to a target.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Though I hope the first episode puts her in a bright neon pink dress with sequins and glitter just because it will upset certain people.

Don't be ridiculous. They'd never introduce the Doctor in some kind of neon-colored sequin outfi-

Oh. Carry on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Don't be ridiculous. They'd never introduce the Doctor in some kind of neon-colored sequin outfi-

Oh. Carry on.

That outfit really emphasizes Tom's bizarre skeletal structure. Should have been his final costume IMO

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I am 100% certain we will see a Lady Holmes within about 20 years, either as a full gender-swap version or a series with Holmes' daughter. We're halfway there with Elementary having a female Watson.

It'd be a show that could really work well in the late 1800s/early 1900s setting too with Lady Holmes having to deal with chauvinist crap all the time, using the fact that men don't expect a woman to be clever or a detective against them, etc. I also would get a nice chuckle if after all we know about Holmes elaborate disguises in the books and in various film and T.V. depictions she literally changes nothing about her appearance except wearing a maid uniform and gets full covert spy access to a target.

How soon we forget Shirley Holmes.

(I only know about Shirley Holmes because of HBomberguy's Sherlock video)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I think there's been stories about Holmes's "non-canon" (as in not created by Doyle) daughter Violet as a detective; I have read about such a thing, at least.

One property that I don't think has had a gender-swapped version which I think would be interesting is the Phantom of the Opera.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That outfit really emphasizes Tom's bizarre skeletal structure. Should have been his final costume IMO

Him trying to do the sad Charlie Brown walk back to into the TARDIS after they shake their heads, but obviously breaking, with a smile pulling at the edges of his mouth, was when I was convinced he was going to be a good Doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Holmes is public domain so it's easy to have all sorts of crazy adaptions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sort of Amelia Earhart / Amy Johnson type Golden Age aviatrix look might be fun; you know, fur-lined leather windcheater, jodhpurs and leather boots, white silk scarf.

gently caress, I like the sound of this so much. I could see it wearing thin as a primary outfit on the level of Eleven's bow tie and suit, but it would make for a great 'central' look that they derive a few other similar ones from. Like how Twelve didn't really have a single signature outfit, but he definitely had a look that they played around within.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is it worth listening to The War Doctor audios in order? I've got a bit of extra money and want to buy one. If it doesn't matter, which is the best one?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holmes is public domain so it's easy to have all sorts of crazy adaptions.

Yep, public domain plus being a well known character leads to lots of possibilities. I'm not surprised to hear there have already been some stabs at a female take on the character, but I'm just expecting some movie or T.V. studio to do a bigger budget attempt. I mean hell, we've already had Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century, at that point anything's on the table.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

As well as Watson, Elementary also had a female version of the other big Holmes character, of course. :D

There's a really easy way to do a female Sherlock Holmes, namely that it was a kind of Remington Steele scenario in which Holmes was always a woman but encouraged Watson to fabricate his accounts a little and portray her as a man so she would be taken seriously in Edwardian society. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 19, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Haven't we already seen a female Holmes? Not sure how anyone can top the ancient green lesbian lizard version though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So many detectives are essentially just adaptations of Holmes anyway. Like, Hercule Poirot is definitely a Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Like, Hercule Poirot is definitely a Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

Maybe in the shallowest possible ways. As characters they are very different.

I can't imagine Poirot getting involved in any substance abuse, for instance.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Bicyclops posted:

Oh. Carry on.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown the Doctor is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am the Doctor."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

So many detectives are essentially just adaptations of Holmes anyway. Like, Hercule Poirot is definitely a Sherlock Holmes adaptation.

Sure.

Poirot = Belgian Holmes

Nero Wolfe = American Holmes

Lord Peter Wimsey = Posho Holmes

Sexton Blake = Action Holmes

Max Carrados = Blind Holmes

Mike Hammer = HUAC Holmes

etc.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

As well as Watson, Elementary also had a female version of the other big Holmes character, of course. :D

There's a really easy way to do a female Sherlock Holmes, namely that it was a kind of Remington Steele scenario in which Holmes was always a woman but encouraged Watson to fabricate his accounts a little and portray her as a man so she would be taken seriously in Edwardian society. :D

Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. There are certainly worse ways to approach it than that, female in reality but male in Watson's stories. A solid feather in the disguise and deception cap too if the public thinks you're the opposite gender. I don't know if you necessarily go full Naoto from persona 4 and have her dress and present as male, but I'd think it would have to be a valid choice for some situations.

Anyway, I'm talking too much Holmes when I should be talking Who. Super glad to be getting a female doctor, it should be a nice shot in the arm for the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Nvm, I misread someone's post.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure.

Poirot = Belgian Holmes

Nero Wolfe = American Holmes

Lord Peter Wimsey = Posho Holmes

Sexton Blake = Action Holmes

Max Carrados = Blind Holmes

Mike Hammer = HUAC Holmes

etc.

Then wouldn't miss marple be female holmes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

I haven't actually read any Miss Marple stories. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bicyclops posted:

I'm a golden age of detective fiction nerd and he's absolutely not.

Holmes was all about adaptive reasoning and scientific methodology, although it went very strange at times as Conan Doyle's belief in the supernatural would seep through into the stories, especially after The Final Problem, because he really really didn't want to be writing any more Holmes stories but the publishers were willing to pay him such an astronomical amount that he caved in.

Poirot was invented to explore the then brand new subject of psychology using the latest method of the times. :)

As a side note it always utterly amazes me that Moriarty and Adler feature so prominently in pretty much anything Sherlock Holmes, because there is pretty much gently caress all written about them by Conan Doyle. Trust me, 90% of what you think you know about the pair of them comes from fan fiction going right back to the 1890s.

(Edited because Autocorrect did a thing)

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 19, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't actually read any Miss Marple stories. :(

You might want to hurry up. If the BBC replaces her with a man, it somehow erases all the original female stories.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I'm a golden age of detective fiction nerd and he's absolutely not.

I do think that it's fair to say that Hastings was probably inspired by Watson, but he's not even in the actual stories nearly as much as he's in the TV adaptation. (Not that I'm complaining, Hastings was great in the TV show.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

And Jessica Fletcher is female Holmes BUT IN THE PRESENT 80s!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Re: earlier post, Capaldi stories which aren't that fast-paced or flashy and someone who tapped out at The War Games might be able to get into:

Listen (could be considered to have no pace at all since there is no monster or danger in the episode)
The Caretaker (first half is a "dating two people at once" style sitcom, which might be a selling point or a deal breaker)
Last Christmas (technically a sequel episode to Dark Water/Death In Heaven, which are excellent but DIH probably has too much noise and CGI to be on this list)
Under The Lake/Before The Flood (I hated these but old school fans seem to like them)
Heaven Sent (best episode of the series, technically part 2 of 3 but fairly comfortably standalone)
The Pilot (designed as a jumping-on point for new viewers, slow start and character focused, monster doesn't even show up until halfway through)
Extremis (technically part 1 of 3, skip the other 2 parts and just assume the Doctor wins)
World Enough And Time/The Doctor Falls (big CGI finale but almost all buildup and quiet moments before that)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Please please stop comparing all Detectives to Holmes just because they are British, it burns :(

Holmes was a prototype, and in fact he wasn't actually very well written, his stories compare to a lot of others even at the time were bad, so bad in fact the golden age detective writers actually sat down in 1929 and wrote a big list of rules.

Ronald Knox posted:

The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
No Chinaman must figure in the story.
No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
The detective himself must not commit the crime.
The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

He didn't even start the public's obsession with murder mysteries. (Go read the maul and the pear tree by P.D. James) or the first detective fiction (go read The Notting Hill Mystery by Charles Felix then Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Holmes was all about addictive reasoning and scientific methodology, although it went very strange at times as Conan Doyle's belief in the supernatural would seep through into the stories, especially after The Final Problem, because he really really didn't want to be writing any more Holmes stories but the publishers were willing to pay him such an astronomical amount that he caved in.

I think there's only one really supernatural Holmes story (Adventure of the Creeping Man). Professor Challenger is where Doyle put all his newfound belief in spiritualism.

Gaz-L posted:

And Jessica Fletcher is female Holmes BUT IN THE PRESENT 80s!

Ah, now Murder, She Wrote I do know about, because it's one of my dad's favourite programmes.

learnincurve posted:

He didn't even start the public's obsession with murder mysteries. (Go read the maul and the pear tree by P.D. James) or the first detective fiction (go read The Notting Hill Mystery by Charles Felix then Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone)

Sure, Holmes himself has some basis in C. Auguste Dupin.

• Locked thread