Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

phthalocyanine posted:

the wall of text spam is still fun, especially if you've just been stomped

the real dipshits will add spaces or spam gg ez over multiple lines so they can make sure everyone understands how ez it was

I will admit that

gg
ez

makes me tilt kinda hard. Like not only are you being a dick but you're actively circumventing a filter while being a dick. It's like intentionally misspelling swears to get around a filter.

Also there are totally times when I'm the silent slampick Hanzo/widow but that's on my alt account which is around 800-1000 sr below my main, so I figure I'm okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
Either mute the channels and fly free from toxicity, or press enter and :getin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I like agreeing with the gg ez people, especially when I've lost

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
sometimes i'll say 'this game was good but it was also easy'

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Snazzy Frocks posted:

sometimes i'll say 'this game was good but it was also easy'

at least that's not literally the bare minimum effort to bypass the filter :sigh:

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

when someone says "report our sym" I slam that report button to say how nice they were to play with

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you slap the p key and click on the word bubble you don't have to look at the text chat

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cowcaster posted:

if you slap the p key and click on the word bubble you don't have to look at the text chat

on the off-chance you don't know, ctrl-shift-c is faster and easier

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like using the gg ez filters when my team got slammed

wit
Jul 26, 2011

quote:

Overwatch: Torbjorn COUNTERS DIVE! - Advanced Guide

Name that youtube channel. Go on.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

wit posted:

Is it Force Gaming

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

wit posted:

Your Overwatch

Also I'm going to guess the thumbnail is Torb from the end of the highlight intro where he jumps off his turret with his hammer drawn

E: I was right on the channel but it's been forever since I've watched any of their videos and I didn't realize they're doing headshots for their thumbnails now. God, that channel is dumb

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Torb is pretty decent in the scrub ranks right now. Quite a lot of bad dive teams don't really know how to handle a turret.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

I didn't realize they're doing headshots for their thumbnails now. God, that channel is dumb

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Torb is pretty decent in the scrub ranks right now. Quite a lot of bad dive teams don't really know how to handle a turret.

Torb/Orisa is a legitimately ridiculous combo against scrub tier players. You set up the turret with a huge field of fire on the objective and Orisa slaps her barrier in front of it and you have a constant supply of unavoidable 14 damage plinks at every enemy on the objective and they have to concentrate a huge amount of fire to bring down the turret.

Also Torb is flat out good at scrub tiers because he doesn't have to aim. He can spam his rivet gun at the choke and watch as his turret embarrasses the terrible Tracers on the enemy team.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Tbh Torb turrets are a nightmare for Tracer at any rank, placed correctly. You can outplay a person, can't outplay an instalocking AI. It's just that plenty of other characters kind of negate that advantage. Honestly Torb is a pretty decent anti-dive character anyway, it's just most people don't play him ever.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Torb is amazing at gold (and below I'd bet).

as much as you can shoot up playing Mercy because the system is broken or whatever, I'd bet that you could do the same thing just as easily with Torb if you played him 100% of the time. I play him every now and again and I consider my results better with Torb than I am with heroes that I put way more effort into. Like I definitely don't get gold medals in eliminations and hero damage with any other character in a typical game (I suck at dps)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Torb is good at every level on defense. The idea that Torb is bad is a weird meme.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Torb is like a lovely version of tf2 engineer, luckily for torb tf2 engineer was/is amazing.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

No Wave posted:

Torb is good at every level on defense. The idea that Torb is bad is a weird meme.

Fun fact, Torbjorn's M2 is basically Roadhog's M1 except better, Tighter spread, faster projectiles, 6 rounds per reload.

I should play more Torbjorn.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to say Torb isn't great or anything, I'm just talking about that channel in particular because they have some really dumb videos sometimes. The best example that comes to mind is one where the title claimed that if you were a good Winston, you shouldn't need healing. The video playing during the rant contained a bunch of Winston gameplay where he proceeded to only survive half his initiation attempts because he was being healed.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to say Torb isn't great or anything, I'm just talking about that channel in particular because they have some really dumb videos sometimes. The best example that comes to mind is one where the title claimed that if you were a good Winston, you shouldn't need healing. The video playing during the rant contained a bunch of Winston gameplay where he proceeded to only survive half his initiation attempts because he was being healed.

show me a guy who can play Winston without being healed.

I mean I can see how as having team-mates who actually back you up when you jump in would be helpful too, but that also seems like something that isn't on you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Starsfan posted:

I mean I can see how as having team-mates who actually back you up when you jump in would be helpful too, but that also seems like something that isn't on you.

Winston 100% needs healing if he's going to pull off any ballsy plays and if you don't heal him he's spending half his fight jumping to medpacks and the enemy is going to live.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Starsfan posted:

If a Winston jumps at me without someone either healing him or helping him do damage, most of the time it means he dies. You're right, Winston 100% needs help so he can do his job.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

as much as you can shoot up playing Mercy because the system is broken or whatever

As someone who plays Mercy a lot and is consistently stuck in gold, I would like to dispute this claim.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Montalvo posted:

As someone who plays Mercy a lot and is consistently stuck in gold, I would like to dispute this claim.

Press Q more

wit
Jul 26, 2011

dogstile posted:

Press Q only when 4 or more people have died
FTFY

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Press Q only when it will likely change the outcome of the team fight, regardless of the number of resses involved.

Edit: assuming your goal is to actually win. If your goal is to just maximize SR gains and minimize SR losses maybe do what wit said.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Doomfist officially releasing 7.27

...on a Thursday?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it'd be nice to give him a few weeks of live trial time in qp and arcade before throwing him right into comp but who am i kidding

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Did they fix his slam just doing nothing and going on cooldown

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yes

Per randos/unverified content from recent ptr patches:
+ Sombra can leave Zarya ult with translocator
+ Doomfist super jump is back (hop at the end of charge to maintain momentum)
+ Jump pad sound changed (lol?)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yes

Per randos/unverified content from recent ptr patches:
+ Sombra can leave Zarya ult with translocator
+ Doomfist super jump is back (hop at the end of charge to maintain momentum)
+ Jump pad sound changed (lol?)

really hope the super jump thing is true

also weird to get a new thing on a thursday if true, but better than waiting until next tuesday

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ersatz posted:

Press Q only when it will likely change the outcome of the team fight, regardless of the number of resses involved.

Edit: assuming your goal is to actually win. If your goal is to just maximize SR gains and minimize SR losses maybe do what wit said.

This is what I try to do (mechanically resurrecting is probably the worst part of my gameplay, as well as overall game sense). Still, there's only so much a resurrect is going to when there's little team cohesion. I don't want to make excuses and claim Elo Hell or whatever, but I'm starting to feel like my way out of solo queue gold is through playing as a tank, rather than a healer (I can't aim for poo poo, so DPS is not really viable).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Montalvo posted:

This is what I try to do (mechanically resurrecting is probably the worst part of my gameplay, as well as overall game sense). Still, there's only so much a resurrect is going to when there's little team cohesion. I don't want to make excuses and claim Elo Hell or whatever, but I'm starting to feel like my way out of solo queue gold is through playing as a tank, rather than a healer (I can't aim for poo poo, so DPS is not really viable).

If you're like me and you've played more battlefield than anything else in the past several years and can't break the habit of leading enemies, put that habit to good use with torb and embrace the impossible rivet headshot bullshit. I'm old and lovely and still manage to pull off poo poo like sniping reinhardt out of his charge and suppressing chokes from absolutely stupid ranges or just countersniping.

That little bastard's gun is hilarious if you're able to bean people in the head with rivets and at a long enough range against dumb enough snipers you can have rivet #2 in the air headed at their face before #1 lands.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As boring as the Uprising event became to me it was great, great practice on getting Torb's pistol head shots down pat.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

I actually had fun losing today in comp. I just brought Ana out and was really positive (Probably because I'm on a losing streak and don't care anymore). I threw my ult onto a Torb in a 2v6, told him to get in there and that I believed in him. When he understandably lost I told him that he tried and that's what matters. He said thanks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm better at prediction than tracking, so I prefer projectile classes in general, but there's something special about the rivet gun. I've been on a Torb kick and somehow I can shoot Pharah down more easily than on any other projectile. I don't know if that means I'm aiming too high with other projectiles, or that I normally aim too low and I'm overcompensating for the rivet arc, but either way it just works for me.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I like that Torb shaming is at an all time low. I picked him in comp yesterday, took no poo poo for it, and dominated some 2cp. Everyone is coming clean about their closet torbiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

headcase posted:

I like that Torb shaming is at an all time low. I picked him in comp yesterday, took no poo poo for it, and dominated some 2cp. Everyone is coming clean about their closet torbiness.
It might just be that everyone is so exhausted from dealing with actual trolls that they don't have the will to complain about off-meta picks anymore.