Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nayuta desperately needs a version with a framerate higher than 9fps and a translation that doesn't make your eyes glaze over constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Any hot tips for starting trails in the sky?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- If you care about getting 100%, use a guide. If you're not OCD, just hang back and enjoy without worrying about missing out stuff.

- Check the guild's board after each plot event. New quests might have popped up.

- You can postpone quests with an (L) or (M) behind it, but the ones marked with an (S) will expire after the next plot event.

- dialogue of all NPC's in the region changes after each plot event. If you're OCD, talk to them after each plot advancement, otherwise just pick a couple who seem interesting and talk to them at every opportunity.

- Take some time to learn how the orbment system works. Especially how to access arts/spells. All required elemental points must be part of a single line, so orbments with one long line are good and orbments with several short lines are bad for arts access. Early on, if you do a certain subquest in the prologue, you can access to the very useful AOE Aerial spell.

- HP and EP are completely refilled on each levelup. While going through dungeons, try to time your arts use and battles so you get the most out of your EP refills.

- Confusion, Blind and AT Delay are all very useful statusses to inflict on enemies.

- Always try to engage enemies from behind in order to get a turn advantage.

- Buffs run out really quickly at first, but they last longer and longer as the game goes on. Don't forget about them just because they seem useless at first. Near the endgame they last throughout a whole battle without needing to be recast. Also, buffs override each other.

- Each region in FC has one area where creatures called Shining Poms randomly spawn upon entering the screen. They tend to run away as soon as they can and are nearly impossible to kill, but if you kill one, either through the use of an instant-death spell landing or a few S-crafts, you get a truckload of experience and sepith.

- Focus on unlocking Estelle's and Joshua's orbment slots before worrying about anyone else.

- Check each treasure chest twice.

- Don't underestimate the effectiveness of debuffs, even on bosses.

- The game takes some time to really get going and pick up the pace. Stick with it until the end of chapter 2 at least.

- You're best off starting on normal difficulty. Difficulty levels apply a global multiplier to enemy stats and were added to later versions as an afterthought. They're not very well balanced.

- Don't worry about losing gear when characters leave. If they leave for an extended amount of time, their equipment and quartz gets dumped into your inventory.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For Trails in the Sky FC in particular, Time magic is pretty OP and Earth Wall is insanely useful if you ever hit a difficulty spike you can't get past, most famously allowing you to trivialize the final boss.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Erpy posted:

- You can postpone quests with an (L) or (M) behind it, but the ones marked with an (S) will expire after the next plot event.

(M) sometimes can be a bit misleading, as I recall in at least one area (Zeiss is the one I'm thinking of), you're locked into plot events for so long that (M) quests actually do expire before you get a chance to do them.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Nate RFB posted:

For Trails in the Sky FC in particular, Time magic is pretty OP and Earth Wall is insanely useful if you ever hit a difficulty spike you can't get past, most famously allowing you to trivialize the final boss.

Earth Wall is literally the best skill in the game.

Erpy posted:

- The game takes some time to really get going and pick up the pace. Stick with it until the end of chapter 2 at least.

Chapters 1 and 2 are something I think more fondly of now that time has passed since playing FC. While playing FC, I found them boring and monotonous.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Gonna take it slow and probably take like a year to beat it. Thanks for all the advice.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

poe meater posted:

Gonna take it slow and probably take like a year to beat it. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm looking forward to a post from you saying how glad you are that you're able to start SC immediately. :)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Nate RFB posted:

I mean, you kinda have to use it on him almost near the end I felt.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i never used earth wall in any o fthem but i played on normal

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The final real phase of final boss in FC has two attacks that people like to use Earth Wall against. Its full-screen Annihilation attack which is survivable on Normal as long as you're fully healed and not too underlevelled and its Death Rage attack, which is single-target and a counterattack, but which is pretty much guaranteed to kill any of your female characters and Olivier if they get hit by it. The fight is perfectly doable without Earth Wall, it'll just take a little longer.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
If you carry Mira and Sepith to a NG+ file in Cold Steel, do you get the stuff later? Because I don't seem to have it from the get go.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I think you get whatever you have as carryover bonuses when you get your master quartz and weapon in-game. So it shouldn't take too long to get that.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Alard posted:

Yeah, I think you get whatever you have as carryover bonuses when you get your master quartz and weapon in-game. So it shouldn't take too long to get that.

Yep, just got them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm on Chapter 3 of TiTS FC and after Cold Steel it feels real real cathartic to have White Gehenna be the answer to every boss. Also to have the combat be much easier than CS in general.

Also Estelle is great. Probably be real hosed without Joshua being the Gallant to her Goofus, but I guess that's what SC is for! Pretty hype for that since I've been spoiled on hardly anything for that whereas I played up to the next chapter when it came out and lost my save/found out it apparently didn't sell too great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
See, that's strange to me because I found CS much easier than Trails combat.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it depends on the difficulties. cold steel is easier on normal but has much less janky higher difficulties

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I found Cold Steel had more ways to manipulate (read: abuse) enemy turn order so that if they got a turn, it was when it was at my most advantageous: stacked with buffs, full on HP, etc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

See, that's strange to me because I found CS much easier than Trails combat.

I played Cold Steel on Hard because I remembered FC being brain dead easy, so that might be part of it. Cold Steel favors a blitzkrieg approach and exploiting enemy weaknesses, but at least on Hard that's kind of out of necessity since if you don't pin down enemy mobs with ailments and cripple bosses they generally gouge huge chunks out of your life. Meanwhile Estelle/Joshua can just wreck mobs without much effort compared to, say, Rean/Alisa/Elliot/Laura who have way better options even with their starting crafts.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aug 2nd for ToCSI on PC... plus some technical stuff from Durante:
http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163180020530/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-pc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:flashfact:

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 19, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well glad they changed over to DX11 because man cold steel having 20 second load times all the time would have sucked.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why is Xseed and Koei Tecmo the only ones willing to hire Durante. And even Koei Tecmo isn't consistent with that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh I guess the price dropped as well. $40 with a 10% discount. Still can't preorder it on steam yet.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
XSeed's never done preorders on Steam. Apparantly Valve only allows preorders on AAA-titles. Not to mention you don't really want preorders. A smaller company like XSeed wants to stay in the top sellers for as long as possible in order to get more exposure and that's only possible if not half their customer base preorders the game months in advance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Erpy posted:

XSeed's never done preorders on Steam. Apparantly Valve only allows preorders on AAA-titles. Not to mention you don't really want preorders. A smaller company like XSeed wants to stay in the top sellers for as long as possible in order to get more exposure and that's only possible if not half their customer base preorders the game months in advance.

You might have a very broad definition of AAA because I've pre-ordered on much smaller games, unless you're calling games like Atelier and Tales of ____ "big budget."

And pre-orders show up in top sellers, that's how FF13 and Nier Automata were at the top of the charts weeks in advance of their release.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo

I guess Nasty Children are the ones who did that extended Falcom arrange with the MIDItrail

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

Why is Xseed and Koei Tecmo the only ones willing to hire Durante. And even Koei Tecmo isn't consistent with that.

sega hired him to playtest valkyria chronicles, i think xseed mainly does it because they don't want a repeat of little king's story where they put out a giant mess and even hiring durante they couldn't totally fix it up in the end. koei tecmo just did it because durante extended an offer since he really likes atelier

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Why did Tecmo Koei hire him? Didn't they threaten pc players they will never release a game on PC because of people making nude mods of DOA5. I would kinda sympathize with them but they released the worst version of the game(ps3 version) on the best possible platform.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ulio posted:

Why did Tecmo Koei hire him? Didn't they threaten pc players they will never release a game on PC because of people making nude mods of DOA5. I would kinda sympathize with them but they released the worst version of the game(ps3 version) on the best possible platform.

no??? idk about doa but tecmo's been releasing every game on pc for a few years and literally all of gust's new games get pc ports now, they hired him to help with porting atelier sophie because he actively offered to do so. they even ported the freakin arslan and berserk musous to pc

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh I guess it must be just team ninja games then. I totally forgot about Dynasty Warriors.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

:allears: This is amazing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
$40 would be steep if it wasn't releasing three days before my birthday, giving me financial immunity

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Slowly making my way through Trails, still enjoying it. Probably gonna end up ranking Estelle with my other favorite JRPG protagonists by the time this is over.

I was browsing through what else Falcom has on Steam and stumbled upon something called Xanadu Next. Any opinions on it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

Slowly making my way through Trails, still enjoying it. Probably gonna end up ranking Estelle with my other favorite JRPG protagonists by the time this is over.

I was browsing through what else Falcom has on Steam and stumbled upon something called Xanadu Next. Any opinions on it?

xanadu next is pretty weird and sort of interesting, though i've cooled a lot on it after trying to replay it. it's like a weird mix of diablo-style presentation with metroidvania game design and progression, so while it kind of looks like a diablo clone it's a lot more focused on exploring a huge labyrinth with huge areas that have a linear progression of loot and equipment, with each new weapon having a unique ability that you can learn and then apply to other weapons, which range from special attacks to attribute modifiers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How does Trails the 3rd compare to FC and SC?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

The format is a little different; it takes place in a big extended dungeon, and there are special areas for the side stories you'd normally get in towns or airships. It seems like Falcom shoved in just about every sidestory they wanted to tell, but couldn't fit into FC or SC. Combat has been rebalanced a bit, along with some new turn bonuses & other little tweaks. Massive power-ups are available for some of the weaker party members.

I'd say it's the best of the three in just about every respect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's really good, exactly how much you rank it compared to the rest will depend on how much the structure works for you compared to the regular format, but it's definitely on the same tier

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think it's perfect for what it is, which is an epilogue for about 20-30 characters after the whirlwind of plot in SC.

Game play wise, it's a lot more fighting and bosses and hunting treasure chests, less walking between towns and chatting with every NPC. Although there's still plenty of talking to be found in other ways. I really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Cool. I'll try to pick it up down the line.