Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Neither were Final Fantasy 10 or Xenogears, what's your point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
How many joke endings have we gotten now? Six?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Solitair posted:

How many joke endings have we gotten now? Six?

There is one for almost every letter of the alphabet.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

Almost? There's one for every letter of the alphabet. Some less canonical then others.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Almost? There's one for every letter of the alphabet. Some less canonical then others.

Every letter and one more, for good luck.

And I wouldn't make assumptions about which endings count going forward, considering the Drakengard ending that lead us here.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

apocalypticCritic posted:

Not taking sides, but I am going to point out that the Resistance camp is not YorHa, technically. Not all androids are YorHa.

They all look the same to me

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

There's one ending for every letter, but there's not one joke ending for every letter :spergin:

chiasaur11 posted:

And I wouldn't make assumptions about which endings count going forward, considering the Drakengard ending that lead us here.

the obvious canonical ending will be a combination of fish death and space station self destruct, wherein fish and android combine to make a cthulhu-esque abomination between now and Nier 3. The first part of the game will be to assassinate Jackass for being the cause of everything horrible, and the second part will involve rescuing the commander, whose face is now stuck that way.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
NO GODS. NO KINGS. ONLY JEAN-PAUL.

...wait, I might need to rethink that.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:devil:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Now that we've seen the beginning of this section, I think it's safe to say that I seriously enjoyed it. When I first saw the creepy robot priests I just couldn't stop grinning. Just like the amusement park intro, it sets up some pretty big expectations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

avoraciopoctules posted:

Now that we've seen the beginning of this section, I think it's safe to say that I seriously enjoyed it. When I first saw the creepy robot priests I just couldn't stop grinning. Just like the amusement park intro, it sets up some pretty big expectations.

Yeah that's one thing Nier:A is very good at. It sets up unexpected situations in such a way that you never know how the other shoe will drop.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

chiasaur11 posted:

Nier 3: Based on the ending where 2B ate a fish and died before they found Pascal's Village.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

StandardVC10 posted:

So when can we expect you to start the LP? :v:

As someone with the 1000 points for bullet witch...

Don't play it

Ever

That game is total trash. Like super bad.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Dark Id posted:

One creepy machine was enough for this week. We ain’t doing this again! No more creepy machines! Why can’t you guys just stop being weird for one day?! NO! gently caress this noise! Hail Satan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IsXKMkDAMQ

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

YOTC posted:

As someone with the 1000 points for bullet witch...

Don't play it

Ever

That game is total trash. Like super bad.

Id's already played Limbo of the Lost

He's a tough cookie

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

exploded mummy posted:

Id's already played Limbo of the Lost

He's a tough cookie

I would rather play limbo of the lost than bullet witch again.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I love how pretty much ever machine in the universe is either Pascal Cute or Adam Creepy. They're all adorable little guys with emil-shaped heads or cringier than a curb your enthusiasm box set.

YOTC posted:

I would rather play limbo of the lost than bullet witch again.

Just from the name it sounds like the knock off copy of Bayonetta.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

SpookyLizard posted:

I love how pretty much ever machine in the universe is either Pascal Cute or Adam Creepy. They're all adorable little guys with emil-shaped heads or cringier than a curb your enthusiasm box set.

Just from the name it sounds like the knock off copy of Bayonetta.

Actually, I think it came out before Bayonetta.
need to check out if that is the case.
as it does sound similar (though what I remember of gameplay and plot, could not be more different... outside of that one level where you are on the outside of a plane mid flight)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

I meant ones that the LP has gotten to. So far I remember the endings for:
-dying in the first gameplay section
-self-destructing at the bunker
-removing the OS chip
-running from the attack on the city
-eating the mackerel
-abandoning 9S at the Copied City

Did I forget anything?

Edit: Oh right, the one we just got last update. :downs: That makes seven.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drakengard III, definitely. Rereading the Xenogears one right now myself.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Would definitely recommend Clock Tower 3, where Loving This poo poo got started. Also: 4 Resident Evil.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Ok, so the Forest King was a baby machine. What do we think the God will turn out to be? A machine? Some inanimate object? A confused, but content moose?

Episode LV-2

The Dark Id posted:

And so the missing 9S is recovered and with it end Chapter 8 of NieR: Automata.

Episode LVI

The Dark Id posted:

Last up in or spending spree

All I'm saying is that everyone had a gun, then there would be no fear of anyone having a gu-

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Zagglezig posted:

What do we think the God will turn out to be? A confused, but content moose?

No moose here is content. They know nothing but hatred and spite.

Lagomorpheus
Apr 26, 2017
I wonder what kind of chthonic horror this "God" is going to turn out to be :allears:

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Lagomorpheus posted:

I wonder what kind of chthonic horror this "God" is going to turn out to be :allears:

It's going to be AlphaGo. Left alone for thousands of years, it eventually developed sentience, and now it seeks to spread its dark mastery of the eldritch art of Go over the world.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

iospace posted:

Sliiiiiiightly off topic, what TDI LP should I read while waiting on updates for this one? I did the Nier and Drakengard 1 ones, so recommendations would be nice.

Limbo of the lost has to be seen to be believed. Unfortunately it can't then be unseen, no matter how hard you try.

More seriously, Drakengard 3 is a weird one to read because most of TDIs commentary is already there in the actual game script. You keep expecting that he's making it up, but no, it's real. Though making fun of tedium and lovely platformer segments is kind of an odd thing to do in a game you made because, as self aware as it is, you still made a game with tedium and lovely platformer segments.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The priest leads them into a dark room, ornate candles only adding to the depths of the shadows for it is unwise to gaze upon the face of a God. From the shrine at the end of the room a voice echoes,

"Hi, I'm Chester! How about a nice game of chess?"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I call bullshit on this ending's name.
If you meet a cultist talking about God on the road, kill him before he can summon the apocalypse.

chiasaur11 posted:

:allears:
So it is possible for a poor sod to get every letter ending and wonder why the trophy isn't triggering?
Hold on, where was that link? Oh, here it is

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Omobono posted:

So it is possible for a poor sod to get every letter ending and wonder why the trophy isn't triggering?

The last ending is DLC-only, though, so I don't know how that works on Playstation.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The last ending is DLC-only, though, so I don't know how that works on Playstation.

It isn't required for the achievements on either. It's just, you know, there.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“iospace”" post="“474504436”"]
[/quote]

I also suggest Drakengard III. I just read through it recently while waiting for N:A updates, and it is a fascinating read. Every character is a deeply flawed pervert in their own unique ways, but a lot of their development is locked away in side materials outside of the game and in DLC prologue sections. TDI did a great job wrangling everything into a moderately coherent story. It’s also pretty easy to skim to the end of verses to get to the important cutscene plot drops.

The soundtrack is fantastic as always. As an interesting tidbit that I’m certain TDI already mentioned in this LP, the boss themes in D3 were played by an idol group Yoko Taro assembled for the game. The name of that group is YoRHa.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

iospace posted:

Drakengard 3 is a real good lp, was also a good thread too. I'm also a big fan of the chrono cross lp and it isn't as long as the others iirc.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Zagglezig posted:

Ok, so the Forest King was a baby machine. What do we think the God will turn out to be? A machine? Some inanimate object? A confused, but content moose?
An AI that started life as a Pandora playlist with Nickleback & Leonard Cohen as the seeds (and is completely insane as a result).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rangpur posted:

An AI that started life as a Pandora playlist with Nickleback & Leonard Cohen as the seeds (and is completely insane as a result).

Oh god, not a Canadian priest

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Rangpur posted:

Nickleback & Leonard Cohen

That's one hell of a combination.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I'm pretty sure someone at Platinum looked at bullet witch at some point in Bayonetta development and said "don't do that and we're solid".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

the robots fuckin found out about religion, call the cops. no not the regular cops

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

really queer Christmas posted:

Drakengard 3 is a real good lp, was also a good thread too. I'm also a big fan of the chrono cross lp and it isn't as long as the others iirc.

It's still like 100 updates long.

I'm sure chrono cross has many silly design choices, but maybe the most visible one is that it has like 50 characters that can join your party. Your active party is 3 people. Although really, your active party is 2 people, because the main character is mandatory for most of the game. But actually a lot of the time you only get to pick 1 person because the other is required for plot reasons. And no, there's no permadeath (besides plot) or fatigue or whatever to force you to switch up what you're using. They realized they could add tons of characters to the game and never stopped to think if they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Qrr posted:

Though making fun of tedium and lovely platformer segments is kind of an odd thing to do in a game you made because, as self aware as it is, you still made a game with tedium and lovely platformer segments.

If I were to make a list of Game Design Commandments, one of them would be 'thou shalt not include an unfun element in your game and think a joke about how unfun it is will somehow make it fun'. If you want to make a joke about how sewer levels suck, use it in, for instance, the text explaining why you can't open a manhole cover.

e:

Qrr posted:

I'm sure chrono cross has many silly design choices, but maybe the most visible one is that it has like 50 characters that can join your party. Your active party is 3 people. Although really, your active party is 2 people, because the main character is mandatory for most of the game. But actually a lot of the time you only get to pick 1 person because the other is required for plot reasons. And no, there's no permadeath (besides plot) or fatigue or whatever to force you to switch up what you're using. They realized they could add tons of characters to the game and never stopped to think if they should.

To top it all off, in New Game+ mode they give you an item that lets you replace Serge with any other character in battle, which opens up a lot of potential party combinations - but of course you're so powerful at this point that everything dies in one hit anyway. I wish Chrono Cross had a New Game- mode that just gave you that item, the item that speeds up battle animations, and your roster of collected characters, but still had you start at level 1 with basic gear. It'd fix at least one of the game's major issues.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 19, 2017

• Locked thread