Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Trigger warning: retard teammates, coward BB "snipers"

https://youtu.be/3jMsh3ZeNpA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Since I didn't see it mentioned, the missions/rewards are up for operation dynamo. And uhm. I expect there will be some platooning to grind out the collections. Two interesting rewards are available. One is a french 10 point captain (useful if you have a degrasse and also plan to climb the ladder beyond tier 6 for the french cruisers). The other is another steven seagal. This time, it is for the brits giving the same turret traverse as seagal. However, unlike seagal, this captain also gets a bonus to smoke screen expert (now a 30% boost) and jack of all trades (now a 10% reload bonus). Looks like a pretty solid tree brit cruiser captain.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/the-prestigious-memento-rises/

Looks a perfect Fiji, Edin or Neptune captain. Minotaur slightly less since Expert Marksman is completely unecessary. I'll use this guy on my Fiji and have its 14 pt Commander for the RN BBs.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

How well will a Warspite commander transfer over to the predicted RN BBs? In the end I may be in the odd position of having more captains than needed with this new one... (19 point Warspite, 17 point Belfast, 14 point RN CL, plus this reward one, assuming I manage to get it)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

The Royal Navy built so few battleships over the years that WG has been forced to resort to a frankenship

Why didn't they just use the real initial 15 inch KGV design? Hell there was even a 16 inch design for KGV. Also, I've noticed they completely failed to use HMS Vanguard, which was literally the last battleship to be launched in the world, for anything.

This puzzles the poo poo out of me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I cannot hit anything at range with the Alg. I don't know why. Near the tippy tip of my range all my shells are just going everywhere except on target and it is really frustrating. Are these shells slower than they seem? :france:

how the gently caress do I end up on top of my team in a game where I crashed five seconds into it what is this hell

I do really well in this ship, particularly since I've upgraded everything. What I can say is that, yes, the shells are a bit floaty, but not nearly as bad as a Yorck or Minotaur. Basically you just need a tiny bit of extra lead time.

I also use the accuracy upgrade, which I think is worth it. The ship really does not need the extra turret traverse.

Advice for playing the ship? Positioning is important. Use your speed and maneuverability to gently caress with people shooting at you. Also, if you haven't already you should unlock the gun range module first--it lets you shoot things without having to gently caress with risky positioning.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 18, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

Why didn't they just use the real initial 15 inch KGV design? Hell there was even a 16 inch design for KGV. Also, I've noticed they completely failed to use HMS Vanguard, which was literally the last battleship to be launched in the world, for anything.

This puzzles the poo poo out of me.

Vanguard will be a tier 8 premium to turn some cash, I'm almost certain, even though it creates a flood of RN BB premiums with Warspite (6), Hood (7), and one of KGV or Nelson (7), let alone any future plans for Dreadnought and a tier 4 and/or 5

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

NTRabbit posted:

Vanguard will be a tier 8 premium to turn some cash, I'm almost certain, even though it creates a flood of RN BB premiums with Warspite (6), Hood (7), and one of KGV or Nelson (7), let alone any future plans for Dreadnought and a tier 4 and/or 5

I know, but they have plenty of fodder with both real ships and real unbuilt paper designs that it shouldn't have been necessary to use fantasy ships to fill the RN BB line.

The German line, I sort of understand, but the Royal Navy? They built and designed more dreadnoughts/superdreadnoughts/battlecruisers/fast battleships than every other country in the world.

Edit

I was disappointed that WG didn't use real German designs--like the 21inch gunned super H class--because "we have to make oversized guns a Japan only thing."

Clarence posted:

How well will a Warspite commander transfer over to the predicted RN BBs? In the end I may be in the odd position of having more captains than needed with this new one... (19 point Warspite, 17 point Belfast, 14 point RN CL, plus this reward one, assuming I manage to get it)

Honestly, this reward captain makes me think that a RN DD line is further along in development than people seem to think.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 18, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

I know, but they have plenty of fodder with both real ships and real unbuilt paper designs that it shouldn't have been necessary to use fantasy ships to fill the RN BB line.

The German line, I sort of understand, but the Royal Navy? They built and designed more dreadnoughts/superdreadnoughts/battlecruisers/fast battleships than every other country in the world.

I mean, with only 15 battleship and 7 battlecruiser classes actually constructed, and at best 50 or so detailed designs and design studies from the period between 1910 and 1945, how could Wargaming be expected to find something? :downs:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Aramoro posted:

It's utterly baffling as the KGV did fine in actual combat against the Bismark but they cannot seem to make it fit because of the gun calibre mechanics which seems to indicate they should just fudge some stuff and not invent Battleships to replace one of the most iconic Battleships ever made.

Did they take KGV out of the tech tree or something?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

Did they take KGV out of the tech tree or something?

KGV and Nelson are both listed as tier 7 in the last promo material, so unless they're doing an optional path in WoWs for the first time, or they made a mistake in the materials, one of them is going to be a premium.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

KGV and Nelson are both listed as tier 7 in the last promo material, so unless they're doing an optional path in WoWs for the first time, or they made a mistake in the materials, one of them is going to be a premium.

Third time.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Aramoro posted:

I know technically what it is, but why make it the main tech tree battleship and why call it 'Monarch'. If there's one thing the RN didn't need it was paper Battleships in the middle of their tech tree. It's utterly baffling as the KGV did fine in actual combat against the Bismark but they cannot seem to make it fit because of the gun calibre mechanics which seems to indicate they should just fudge some stuff and not invent Battleships to replace one of the most iconic Battleships ever made.

There are so many things they could have done, like given the KGV 14inch shells similar to the ones on the British cruisers--I mean I think we all agree that modeling ship performance with any historical accuracy went out the window a long time ago.

Either that or the could have give KGV her 15 inch turrets as a B Hull unlockable; AND depending on where you wanted to put her in the tree (8 or 9) you could have added her proposed 16inch configuration as a C Hull unlockable.

Edit

I mean honestly, I don't find Bismarck and Tirpitz 15inch guns underpowered at tier 8. I don't even feel that way about Scharnhorst's 11inch guns (that they make her hopelessly outclassed) when facing tier 8 and 9. So it's really baffling that they just couldn't make 14inch guns work at tier 8.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 18, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The nelson is currently t7. Last I saw, the kgv was at t8. The nelson is still t7 though. Proof is that I fought one the other day in my la gal. It died trying to run aground behind some islands. It did make it, but the length and that rear super structure was still enough for it to catch a few shells to end its life even though I was lobbing it over an island.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Advice for playing the ship? Positioning is important. Use your speed and maneuverability to gently caress with people shooting at you. Also, if you haven't already you should unlock the gun range module first--it lets you shoot things without having to gently caress with risky positioning.

It really doesn't feel quite that fast, especially when you're trying to do a few swerves to avoid guns. Turns like hell tho.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
They're reworking secondaries on German BBS. Fire chance down, damage slight down, range slightly up.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Just go full Warship Gunner 2 and let us design out own ships with a million machineguns and battleships full of small caliber penta-turrets.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Aramoro posted:

If there's one thing the RN didn't need it was paper Battleships in the middle of their tech tree.

What WG needs are plenty of British historical BB premiums to line the coffers!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Michaellaneous posted:

Just go full Warship Gunner 2 and let us design out own ships with a million machineguns and battleships full of small caliber penta-turrets.

Let me make a BB that has something like 40 dual 5" turrets that fire 2 rounds per second.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Just looked this up to see if this was a thing

It's my world of warships fever dream

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It really doesn't feel quite that fast, especially when you're trying to do a few swerves to avoid guns. Turns like hell tho.

Yeah, I am more talking about playing with your acceleration than really "going fast."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Disco posted:

Third time.

They haven't done an optional path in WowS yet, by which I mean you get two different ways to reach the same ship, ala when leaving the Pz II being able to choose between the Pz II ausf. A and Panzer III, or the Pz II ausf. G and 2001(D), to reach the III/IV. Every path in WoWs is a straight line with only one way to get there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's probably going to be an additional tree of British battlecruisers somewhere down the line and that'll probably change a few things.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Where do you have to aim when fighting other t9 - t10 battleships as a FdG? I seem to be unable to properly hit enemy BBs, as they usually eat about 5k per salvo and I seem to eat 10k+ every time, even if I'm angled. If they are angled, I often deal 0 damage. When I see broadside, I usually aim at the waterline - if the enemy is angled, I aim a little bit above.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Pacra posted:

The funny thing is, the game starts out with pretty normal weapons.

Then you get into lasers, nucelar missiles, giant plasma guns, etc.

It's a pretty fun game, if you have a PS3.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's probably going to be an additional tree of British battlecruisers somewhere down the line and that'll probably change a few things.

Probably that would be the line to put Vanguard in. The problem is many British battlecruisers were WWI vintage with 4-6 15 inch guns or smaller. Hard to see more than a line to tier 8 lime the alternate Japanese DD line.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JuffoWup posted:

Since I didn't see it mentioned, the missions/rewards are up for operation dynamo. And uhm. I expect there will be some platooning to grind out the collections. Two interesting rewards are available. One is a french 10 point captain (useful if you have a degrasse and also plan to climb the ladder beyond tier 6 for the french cruisers). The other is another steven seagal. This time, it is for the brits giving the same turret traverse as seagal. However, unlike seagal, this captain also gets a bonus to smoke screen expert (now a 30% boost) and jack of all trades (now a 10% reload bonus). Looks like a pretty solid tree brit cruiser captain.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/the-prestigious-memento-rises/

Kinda want to put him on the Warspite for that turret speed. Also if I'm not just missing it, EU doesn't seem to get a French captain :(

Michaellaneous posted:

Anyone who doesn't mind grog UIs should check out Rule the Waves:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/rule-the-waves/

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Pacra posted:

:stare::homebrew: IFHE everything. Also it somehow needs torpedoes.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

ZombieLenin posted:

So I've been saving up free XP to buy the Missouri; however, I just had this realization: after like 2 months I only have 70k saved. This will take years. Given this, and the fact I won't drop $100 for gold to make up the difference, I'm thinking of spending what I have on the Royal Navy BB line when it launches.

Any idea when that might be?

I came back during the last 10 days of the Bismarck missions and I have about 400k free XP without converting any and spending a fair bit on skipping stock hulls. The key is stacking modifiers, as it'll take forever saving up with the default 5%. You can add +300% and +777% flags, stack them on daily wins or especially when there's larger first win bonuses. Add in missions and camo and it gets quite amazing. For example, an ok game in the Dunk netted me 6k earlier today:

The upcoming Dunkirk event should provide some +777% flags.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pacra posted:

I see things like this and become disappointed when I realize the Washington Treaty probably prevented some absolutely bugfuck insane battleship designs.

"Let's make a battleship landing craft. It's size would let it carry a massive amount of troops, and the armor would protect them."

"That's a great idea. Let's put all the guns on the front so it can engage enemy fortifications as it storms the beaches, and if it becomes stuck, it can just use recoil to knock itself loose."

It would be named the Churchill-class battleship, because of course it would.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hah, wargaming knows their customers well at times. From the reasons not to buy for the gallant:

quote:

You want a destroyer helmed by an anime schoolgirl – Get Harekaze

The container bundles are up as well. There is a limit 1 on a 1x large container for $1. Or you can get another single large container for $3. Pricing moves up to $100 for 55 of them.

The only missions I've seen still for getting containers is via the gallant. However, there has to be other ways as there is a small chance for gallant in these containers as well.

Edit: forgot the link: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/gallant-gadot/

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 19, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Double posting, but this is kind of important. Operation Dynamo gives you two destroyers to play it with. The Anthony and Cyclone. We know this. What wasn't known is that you get 19 point captains with them. Besides that? The Anthony's captain can still hang out in other ships like the gallant (yeah, bought one). Ran a pub match just to see with the gallant. The gallant was loaded with every signal flag for commander xp. It was also using the restless fire camo. My meager 780base xp turned to 3k with the win bonus (it was a 3 star victory). Final tally was 13k in free commander xp. And since the anthony and gallant are both brits, you could technically bounce between those ships along with the cyclone which is another 19 point captain. This gives you the ability to use the pve mission to just straight up farm captain xp if so desired. I suppose you can set them to other ships as well. However, they have dunkirk labeled in the background art so I would be surprised if they are lost at the end of this event.

So goons, we nee dto group up and get this done. It appears the various missions also support you farming the operation as well. Lets get some 19 point regular captains made so we can continue to farming afterwards.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yeah, they said the captains will be removed, but the elite commander XP will stay so it's a good time to farm.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

This being WG there is bound to be something messed up - like they remove the captain that is in the Anthony when the ship is removed even if that's not the right one.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
When this Bastille day French cruiser mission ends I am going to hate French cruisers. I just literally ground through the Alg. In two days.

And given Flamu's review of the Henry IV I wonder why I am bothering.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
It's a Moskva without radar and huge fire chance, also torps. Flamu isn't God, you know.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Cippalippus posted:

It's a Moskva without radar and huge fire chance, also torps. Flamu isn't God, you know.

No, but I usually trust his perception of ships. Speaking of the torps though, that's one thing that disappoints me about the French cruisers.

It isn't that they have them, it's that they don't change. So assuming I hit Tier 10 with the French cruisers and buy the Henry. The ship have the exact same torpedoes at tier 10 as my tier V French cruiser had.

But yeah, I will continue to grind the line if only because, as someone who isn't that great at boats and always plays solo, the French cruisers are one of the few lines of ships I'm actually sort of good at using.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 19, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

rex rabidorum vires posted:

:stare::homebrew: IFHE everything. Also it somehow needs torpedoes.

Torps in the game were generally limited to DDs, subs and frigates. But you could stick rockets and eventually AS missiles, on bigger ships. Frigates were the best since you could stick profoundly stupid things on it and you could juice the engine to the point you could go 80kts.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
I'm trying to convince a rank 1 scrub on the NA forums who flailed his way there across 500 games that Survivability Expert is not the best choice to take on his battleships at tier 3 after Superintendent. :suicide: I also watched him be completely anemic to taking any damage in his HP perk Bismarck in Flamu's stream earlier. The biggest ships are always the most scared of having to tank anything.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look at it this way, at least some utter garbage battleship players are easy to identify at the beginning of the game.

I'm struggling to think if I've ever seen a good battleship player who had Survivability Expert.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So far only 4 pubbies have followed the civilian boat that dies at the beginning of the operation into the minefield and died immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm trying to decide which pubbies I like more, those ones or the shitheels who immediately charge off to the finish line instead of escorting the fleet. :fuckoff: