Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Takoluka posted:

On Android, you can do this from the pulldown menu without having to leave your current app!

Nintendo chat app is good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The mental gymnastics people are pulling to defend Nintendo's terrible and inconvenient voice chat "solution" are baffling.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

s.i.r.e. posted:

The mental gymnastics people are pulling to defend Nintendo's terrible and inconvenient voice chat "solution" are baffling.

Seriously, it's absolutely insane.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What if the app was smw and stardew in disguise

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

s.i.r.e. posted:

:shrug: it's better than nothing, though? And it does have kinda Smart-glassy functions with the games, which is a concept that would have ruled if Microsoft ever did anything worth a drat with it.

It looks like you can order clothes and stuff in Splatoon through the app if you feel like it, and that sort of thing.

It's not like I'm overjoyed about having to use my phone for in-game voice chat, but it's clear that somebody in the board of directors or something at Nintendo has a huge boner for mobile apps right now, so I'm pretty sure that it was this or nothing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Seriously, it's absolutely insane.

It’s even more insane when you realize it all revolves around a bad game no one should buy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Who's defending it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s even more insane when you realize it all revolves around a bad game no one should buy.

Hmmm.... :yeah: true

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:oh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

HDTVs usually have 1-4 frames of input lag between what you do in the controller, and what's shown on screen. This is most noticeable in shooters, fighters, and precision platformers.
The screen on the Switch is probably as fast as a monitor (9-17ms, or 0.5-1 frame).

Also wireless controllers have a lag but I have no idea how the joycons communicate when plugged in to the screen

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the voice chat option sounds terrible

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

s.i.r.e. posted:

Nintendo's playing the long game with the smartphone app; It's something everyone has in some form or other nowadays, and it's a standardized solution they can apply to every game and platform going forward.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The "phone has to always be on" thing is a bigger deal than the "you can't switch out of the app at all" thing anyway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deadly_pudding posted:

:shrug: it's better than nothing, though?

I'm glad there's something, but this is indefensible. Not having voice chat just built into the system is dumb in the first place but requiring a secondary device that needs to be tethered to both you and the Switch is 100% terrible. Now you can't even multitask on the phone unless you want the voice chat to disconnect? Come on. I'm also glad that there's something, but just because there is doesn't make it good and people shouldn't defend it. Voice chat has been standardized for well over a decade and Nintendo's reinventing the wheel without reason.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nintendo's playing the long game with the smartphone app; It's something everyone has in some form or other nowadays, and it's a standardized solution they can apply to every game and platform going forward.

Imagine.... this... but on... hardware you would... always have with you... while playing... Splatoon etc etc...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

The "phone has to always be on" thing is a bigger deal than the "you can't switch out of the app at all" thing anyway.

I haven't seen that anywhere. When was that confirmed?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I hope it won't be like their phone games and refuse to work on a rooted phone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I haven't seen that anywhere. When was that confirmed?

I've seen it said in the myriad conversations about it, talked about like it was common knowledge. I can't point to a single source.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm never gonna voice chat in splatoon

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What do you mean by "on"? Like, the screen has to stay on?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't really see the inconvenience of having to be tethered to another device because the device in question is one I'm already tethered to all day, every day.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also wireless controllers have a lag but I have no idea how the joycons communicate when plugged in to the screen

Bottom inside lip of the joycon has terminal connections that connect when clicked in place on the system. Thats not just for charging.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Imagined posted:

What do you mean by "on"? Like, the screen has to stay on?

Yah. It's silly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

frankly I'm amazed that no one's put 2 and 2 together here yet, but DeNA's partnered with Nintendo right? isn't this stupid app solution the result of having a mobile partner like DeNA possibly handling the infrastructure?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I did a search and Eurogamer says the screen has to be on. Hopefully they fix that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zelder posted:

Yah. It's silly

Now that's loving stupid.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You just have a lot of gates to get through if you want to use the app

• You have to have a headset, which is mainly the splatoon one that you have to go out of your way to buy and will probably be rare
• You have to be close to your switch (for now), which makes most TV arrangements not viable
• Your phone screen always needs to be on, and probably charging which is another wire to add to this tentacle beast of messy clutter
• The aforementioned inability to switch between apps during voice communication

Maybe one or some of these things are passable, but all together it's going to put a lot of people off. With other apps, all you need is your phone and a headset is semi-optional since most apps can typically suppress feedback and background nose

But it's also supposed to be an efficient way to access information and features from games, which could be interesting with games like Animal Crossing on the horizon. Would be cool to check other people's maps and towns, and promote sales from the various stores a la cheesy Tom Nook ads. You could look up turnip prices... it's got infinite potential. If a cheap headset option was packed-in with a popular game, or marketed well enough, they could probably pull it off, but for now it's counterintuitive to everything the Switch is

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

SeANMcBAY posted:

:lol:

Do game reviews have to say that about any challenge they don't beat on the first try now?

Sure looks that way. There was no such thing as a difficult game before Demon's Souls ya know. From Software was the first company to invent the idea of a game that isn't easy as hell and they did it in 2009

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RBI Baseball 17

http://www.vooks.net/r-b-baseball-17-coming-nintendo-switch-september/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That right there is a photo of a man regretting his choice of career and life decisions leading up to that moment.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Spellman posted:

You just have a lot of gates to get through if you want to use the app

• You have to have a headset, which is mainly the splatoon one that you have to go out of your way to buy and will probably be rare
• You have to be close to your switch (for now), which makes most TV arrangements not viable

Not defending the phone app so don't jump on me but these first two aren't true. You only need to sit close if you want to have the audio coming into headphones at the same time as voice and you can do that with any cheap audio splicer adapter and I'm pretty sure there are some Bluetooth ones out there now (don't quote me on that). Otherwise you can just use a little Bluetooth ear piece tied to your phone and play the audio from the TV/Surround sound like normally. Would still be easier to just have it through the system though yeah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Spellman posted:

But it's also supposed to be an efficient way to access information and features from games, which could be interesting with games like Animal Crossing on the horizon. Would be cool to check other people's maps and towns, and promote sales from the various stores a la cheesy Tom Nook ads. You could look up turnip prices... it's got infinite potential. If a cheap headset option was packed-in with a popular game, or marketed well enough, they could probably pull it off, but for now it's counterintuitive to everything the Switch is
I mean, that stuff is fine, and if they want to incorporate the Mario Maker website into the app for Mario Maker Switch (which I'm sure exists at this point and will be announced eventually), then great. but don't tether voice chat to the dang thing. inviting friends or w/e, browsing leaderboards, doing second-screen stuff for games, that's what an app should be for. have voice chat in the switch itself

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

I mean, that stuff is fine, and if they want to incorporate the Mario Maker website into the app for Mario Maker Switch (which I'm sure exists at this point and will be announced eventually), then great. but don't tether voice chat to the dang thing. inviting friends or w/e, browsing leaderboards, doing second-screen stuff for games, that's what an app should be for

The reason voice chat is part of the app is quite probably because you're already holding a thing with a microphone built into it. One of the biggest no-sells of getting voice chat going in multiplayer is "oh, I don't have a mic :effort:".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

This is extremely exciting

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Voice chat option sounds great to me but I'm part of the future where we know how audio works

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In line earbud mics are pretty ubiquitous

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you have an Android phone, you could probably make use of multiwindow to keep the voice chat going. Samsung Galaxy smartphones can actually do a floating multiwindow picture-in-picture thing that I know lets you keep using the app in the background.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also it's weird that the Switch doesn't have a microphone in it when the Wii U had it, the 3DS had it, the DS had it

of course, those platforms all had it so that you could blow into it to make a thing happen in a game, but you'd think Nintendo wouldn't be able to resist doing it again. blow into it to make the platforms rise for mario to jump on!!

hell, how are you supposed to yell objection if Phoenix Wright ever comes to Switch?!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Not defending the phone app so don't jump on me but these first two aren't true. You only need to sit close if you want to have the audio coming into headphones at the same time as voice and you can do that with any cheap audio splicer adapter and I'm pretty sure there are some Bluetooth ones out there now (don't quote me on that). Otherwise you can just use a little Bluetooth ear piece tied to your phone and play the audio from the TV/Surround sound like normally. Would still be easier to just have it through the system though yeah

But if you're not mixing the audio, why are you using the app? I do think there will be options to mitigate this in the future, but they gotta be all-in-one or else it's just another gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yikes

• Locked thread