Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The biggest thing I worry about in people my age a little older and on down to 18 19 or so, especially white people, and especially men, is social anomie and online crap replacing real social interaction. I don't say this because it's a real insight or because I am so wise, more because my god I just became old.

Dog picture? I don't know how to do it. Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't care about hardcore incurable Trumpers, because they're a minority that can't decide elections by themselves, and they've always been here. They're poo poo-awful but there is nothing to be done about them but hope they get depressed and stay home in 2018+. There were way more of their ilk in 1968, 1980 and 1992.

35% of the country being eternal shitbirds (other than attrition from age and diabetus) isn't really why Trump is president. It's all the other poo poo that kept the majority of voters from getting the person they chose, which people somehow keep forgetting wasn't Trump.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I don't care about hardcore incurable Trumpers, because they're a minority that can't decide elections by themselves, and they've always been here.
A minority of 80,000 hardcore incurable trumpers decided the election of the president of 320,000,000 people last november hth

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Chilichimp posted:

The kids are alt-right?

:eyepoop:

I'm not worried about the kids kids these days, as there's a small chance the alt-right Trump Youth will take off without any of the stuff that makes nationalism attractive to younger people, like the promise of good jobs, a decent home and a dignified place in society. The Republicans are 100% against all of the above and I'm not sure why someone would join the Trump SS to find that they're ostracized by the party elites that expect them to sleep in a dumpster and work for free.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Randbrick posted:

The biggest thing I worry about in people my age a little older and on down to 18 19 or so, especially white people, and especially men, is social anomie and online crap replacing real social interaction. I don't say this because it's a real insight or because I am so wise, more because my god I just became old.

incels who won't leave the house to get a date probably won't leave it to vote, either

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i am harry posted:

In case you weren't aware, that was a lie, draped in the American flag.

*Shuffles back and forth looking hopelessly at my feet while listening to System Of a Down.*

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

A minority of 80,000 hardcore incurable trumpers selected the president of 320,000,000 people last november hth

hardcore incurable trumpers did not represent the last bit of support that got him over the top. There were a lot of people who only casually pay attention to politics who hated both candidates and reluctantly voted Trump because decades of vitriol was able to poison the well for his opponent, who they also heard did the emails and the benghazi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A minority of 80,000 hardcore incurable trumpers decided the election of the president of 320,000,000 people last november hth

You mean ~50M republicans. They are the problem.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

bird dumps the one about Union Thugs

Remember when Chowder tried to sue a union thug(actually a white guy, but maybe a non regressive) for punching him, but the full video showed Chowder started the fight and was a little bitch that went down in one or two punches.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Rigel posted:

hardcore incurable trumpers did not represent the last bit of support that got him over the top. There were a lot of people who only casually pay attention to politics who hated both candidates and reluctantly voted Trump because decades of vitriol was able to poison the well for his opponent, who they also heard did the emails and the benghazi.

It feels like this could not be overstated, because the people that voted him in are not nazis, but instead are "regular people" that heard about Her Emails and didn't care about anything else. Healthcare, Muslims, Mexicans, none of that was affecting them, so what did it matter?

He may have rode in on a wave of white nationalism but it was the apathetic kind more that the goosestepping kind.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It feels like this could not be overstated, because the people that voted him in are not nazis, but instead are "regular people" that heard about Her Emails and didn't care about anything else. Healthcare, Muslims, Mexicans, none of that was affecting them, so what did it matter?

He may have rode in on a wave of white nationalism but it was the apathetic kind more that the goosestepping kind.

A lot of these idiots who didn't pay attention are also probably people who found out too late what Obamacare really is, and between that and Trump's insanity they quietly regret their vote...

... unless they made their vote known within their social circle. If you admitted to friends and family that you are going to vote for Trump, then pride and ego prevents most of them from admitting they made a mistake, even to themselves. I bet a lot of people who quietly voted for Trump in ignorance without letting anyone else know about it are now lying and said they didn't vote for him.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Randbrick posted:

The only way to fix this kind of poo poo is for people to talk to each other. Realizing that someone you've been demonizing is human can often change hearts, even if it's just in a "maybe people I disagree with aren't inhuman" way. I play Magic cards at a store and some of the conservative guys ask me about "SJW stuff" because "you explain it normally". Sometimes we have discussions that are actually productive and I come away with a better understanding of the conservative perspective which is helpful to understand why they do what they do. Some of their ideas are actually reasonable as well but unfortunately I think despite it coming from a conservative POV they still need government support and they don't seem to realize that will never happen under the modern GOP. Like the idea of building a gigantic canal across the Mexican border. It sounds insane and unfeasible it probably is but it would be a massive undertaking that would probably get the US and Mexican governments to work together and create a shitload of jobs, new ports to get jobs in and be something for people to take pride in. It's drat better than a wall that just sits there and doesn't do anything but be a xenophobic eyesore that divides instead of unites

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when Chowder tried to sue a union thug(actually a white guy, but maybe a non regressive) for punching him, but the full video showed Chowder started the fight and was a little bitch that went down in one or two punches.

Is that the dude who was Brain on Arthur for a season or two

Ripoff posted:

I'm not worried about the kids kids these days, as there's a small chance the alt-right Trump Youth will take off without any of the stuff that makes nationalism attractive to younger people, like the promise of good jobs, a decent home and a dignified place in society. The Republicans are 100% against all of the above and I'm not sure why someone would join the Trump SS to find that they're ostracized by the party elites that expect them to sleep in a dumpster and work for free.

To make liberals cry.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 19, 2017

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Glad to see Trump is helping out the Dems here in New Jersey

https://twitter.com/ClaudeBrodesser/status/887680081572835329

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah Chowder was one of Brain's VA's. LOL another child (voice) actor that can't move on.

Lightning Lord posted:

It goes both ways though - look at how a lot of young people reacted to Reagan and Bush. Not to mention the other way with Obama, where newly minted chowderhead Fox voters got their chance to gleefully vote away the legacy of the Kenyan traitor.

Children and teenagers are trash and it's annoying that 30ish% of them will take the wrong side in their "rebel without a cause" phase and then never redeem themselves.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
All the money in the world wouldn't help Guadagno win this state in November. The stench of Christie's never coming off.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rigel posted:

A lot of these idiots who didn't pay attention are also probably people who found out too late what Obamacare really is, and between that and Trump's insanity they quietly regret their vote...

... unless they made their vote known within their social circle. If you admitted to friends and family that you are going to vote for Trump, then pride and ego prevents most of them from admitting they made a mistake, even to themselves. I bet a lot of people who quietly voted for Trump in ignorance without letting anyone else know about it are now lying and said they didn't vote for him.

My 94-year-old grandmother recently told me she was ashamed to admit that she voted for Trump. :(

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Not by themselves, which is the point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lightning Lord posted:

The only way to fix this kind of poo poo is for people to talk to each other. Realizing that someone you've been demonizing is human can often change hearts. I play Magic cards at a store and some of the conservative guys ask me about "SJW stuff" because "you explain it normally". Sometimes we have discussions that are actually productive and I come away with a better understanding of the conservative perspective which is helpful to understand why they do what they do. Some of their ideas are actually reasonable as well but unfortunately I think despite it coming from a conservative POV they still need government support and they don't seem to realize that will never happen under the modern GOP. Like the idea of building a gigantic canal across the Mexican border. It sounds insane and unfeasible it probably is but it would be a massive undertaking that would probably get the US and Mexican governments to work together and create a shitload of jobs, new ports to get jobs in and be something for people to take pride in. It's drat better than a wall that just sits there and doesn't do anything but be a xenophobic eyesore that divides instead of unites

To make liberals cry.

That is certainly important, but at the same time you are talking about two people who are willing to at least listen to each other and talk. I personally have tried that with several people and it usually boils down to nothing more than whataboutism and "I just don't see why".

I'm glad that you are your nerdbro are able to talk, but it is in the minority. Hopefully we can get more of that in a few years.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My 94-year-old grandmother recently told me she was ashamed to admit that she voted for Trump. :(

Honestly I don't really have a beef with people who made a mistake like that. Trump ran a hell of a lie for a campaign, and there is a certain bravery in admitting that you got duped.

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

THE WASTE LAND

I. THE DEMS SCREAM DEATH
OCARE is the cruelest bill, breeding
failure out of the dead law, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with yellow rain.

The pee tape is real.

IV. Death by Pee Tape

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Toebone posted:

She has no chance anyway. She's down like 30 points in the polls.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I had been working on my crazyass MAGA brother for a while. The best I could do is get him to admit that Trump is an imbecile, but he's like "well Hillary was the other choice, so I had to vote for Trump" and "there's a lot of fake news in the biased media, so Trump can't be THAT bad like you are describing". He has no interest in digging deeper into the Russia poo poo, probably because he doesn't want to find out that Trump is a traitor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/887644454601076736

Oh God please let Don Jr. go off the rails and intentionally torpedo his dad's presidency just so he can end it all. A Byzantine end is the best possible legacy the Trump family could leave.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stop saying this dumb thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drone posted:

Oh God please let Don Jr. go off the rails and intentionally torpedo his dad's presidency just so he can end it all. A Byzantine end is the best possible legacy the Trump family could leave.

It's weird sharing a deeply held wish in common with Don Jr.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/887704201878532096

1. Canadian economy must be instantly dismantled and all assets forfeited to US gov

2. Mexican economy must be instantly dismantled and all assets forfeited to US gov

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I am on a telephone town hall with Erik "I'm a fuckin' ghost" Paulsen. Any questions I should ask?

A few pages back, but,
Erik Paulsen, as in Minnesota's third district rep Erik Paulsen?

I live in his district and hate him violently. I'm curious, how did this go?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

It sure seems like the RNC isn't supporting her campaign because she has no loving chance of winning.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheScott2K posted:

Stop saying this dumb thing.

Yeah but it lets you frame the_donald posters as the people you have to convince then since that is clearly impossible then you can declare "nothing matters" and play videogames.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol at the election pushing Americans to drink more liquor.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/887706774991753219

:smith:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ripoff posted:

Agreed. Between Trump's incompetence, conduct, and constant lying - he is not exactly endearing himself, the GOP, or conservatives in general, to kids. He also dropped the whole "counter-establishment" brand he built up, so teens who might pay attention to a few issues (net-neutrality for example) are not going to be won over either.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drone posted:

Oh God please let Don Jr. go off the rails and intentionally torpedo his dad's reign just so he can end it all. A Byzantine end is the best possible legacy the Chimp family could leave.

The Trumps' misery is the wind beneath my wings. I want them to regret the moment their moron father ever decided to throw his XXXL-size hat in the ring every day.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Donnie says off with Hannity's head. Donnie eats McD's, not Wendy's(though he would love to grab of her beef).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Its nightcrew in Amrica

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is certainly important, but at the same time you are talking about two people who are willing to at least listen to each other and talk. I personally have tried that with several people and it usually boils down to nothing more than whataboutism and "I just don't see why".

I'm glad that you are your nerdbro are able to talk, but it is in the minority. Hopefully we can get more of that in a few years.

Are you going at it from Trump? If you want to talk to right wingers never mention Trump, it's an instant lockdown.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why'd wine spike in 05-06? Good year?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

The years after Sideways came out

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Mustached Demon posted:

The movie Sideways came out in late '04 and I know it had a pretty significant impact on the sales of pinot noir, maybe it's related?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't know what Sideways is, but I saw some people pointing to the popularity of the Atkins diet at the time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Lightning Lord posted:

2. Mexican economy must first be instantly dismantled and all assets forfeited to US gov, then immediately afterwards they must pay for and build the wall.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well poo poo count me in that statistic (looks at empty bourbon bottles, continuously tells self he does not have a problem)

• Locked thread