Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well poo poo count me in that statistic (looks at empty bourbon bottles, continuously tells self he does not have a problem)

I wonder if the liquor spike is mostly vodka. Since, you know, we're all going to be Russians soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/887644454601076736

Oh God please let Don Jr. go off the rails and intentionally torpedo his dad's presidency just so he can end it all. A Byzantine end is the best possible legacy the Trump family could leave.

Ousted by a chariot race hooligans rioting is certainly not an outcome most people had on the cards.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know what Sideways is, but I saw some people pointing to the popularity of the Atkins diet at the time.

That movie where Harvey Pekar doesn't like merlot.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Rigel posted:

I wonder if the liquor spike is mostly vodka. Since, you know, we're all going to be Russians soon.

Good, then I can finally put this silly "bourbon is better than vodka" thing to bed with all my friends.

(Just kidding, they're both great!)

I really hope Don Jr. loses his cool but I'm not holding my breath. At this point just another outrageous event isn't enough to derail things. He'd have to say or do something that does damage in an almost surgically precise way. (The Pee Tape would be the best outcome imo: it won't get Trump ousted, but it will completely neuter him in the eyes of the entire world. He remains in place, ineffectual, "cucked" by his own image and thus we avoid Prezzy Pence. I am bad at politics though so maybe this is not the best option, it just makes me smile.)

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly I don't really have a beef with people who made a mistake like that. Trump ran a hell of a lie for a campaign, and there is a certain bravery in admitting that you got duped.
My grandma had a saying, "You never tell anybody they can't come to Jesus." It took me years after her death to realize she what she meant by that.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I wonder if Trump Jr is dreading the day that Trump leaves office and asks him to fill him in on how the family business has been doing the last 4 years.

"Mar-a-Lago is doing great and our DC property is fine, but WHAT THE HELL, Jr? All of our other hotels and golf courses are loving empty and losing money? What did you do?!?"

What do you say to that? Do you dare tell him the truth?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol at the election pushing Americans to drink more liquor.

:smith:
Liquor is delicious. It's also versatile, able to be mixed with other beverages easily (the cheap stuff... never mix nice liquor).

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly I don't really have a beef with people who made a mistake like that. Trump ran a hell of a lie for a campaign, and there is a certain bravery in admitting that you got duped.
They were willfully ignorant. There was no evidence supporting anything he said, they actively chose to believe the lie. Admitting their mistake now is too late, the damage has been and is currently being done.

And admitting they were wrong about Trump doesn't mean they no longer support Republicans. Trump doesn't exist in a vacuum, he is the human-form of every terrible Republican idea and policy. I guarantee that old woman will continue to support the Republicans if she lives long enough to vote again.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 19, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Republican women nod in agreement. "We're the weaker sex, and we should listen to our husbands."

But they don't, though. They think *other* women should listen to their husbands, and they, personally, should get all the freedoms that feminists have fought for, like the right to vote, go to university, divorce, and use contraception.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Rigel posted:

I wonder if Trump Jr is dreading the day that Trump leaves office and asks him to fill him in on how the family business has been doing the last 4 years.
Cute that you think trump is not still balls deep in his business dealings.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Rigel posted:

"Mar-a-Lago is doing great and our DC property is fine, but WHAT THE HELL, Jr? All of our other hotels and golf courses are loving empty and losing money? What did you do?!?"

Trump's stuff isn't losing any money right now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-militarys-space-in-trump-tower-costs-130-000-a-month-1500428508

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sideways was an atrocious movie and I never understood why it was popular.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The army isn't renting out every Trump hotel room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.1e433a4f6ed0

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rigel posted:

The army isn't renting out every Trump hotel room.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.1e433a4f6ed0

“David — please stop reaching out to me. Thank you,” Eric Trump, the president’s son, wrote in an email message. :lol:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Rigel posted:

Right, like Trump isn't still heavily involved in his business

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fitzy Fitz posted:

lol at the election pushing Americans to drink more liquor.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/887706774991753219

:smith:

We are becoming Russia in so many ways.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

paternity suitor posted:

Its really something that we no longer agree on actual reality. It's scary but also interesting.

I think it can only be undone the way it was done.

I think the genie's out of the loving bottle actually and the harm has already been done. There's a large segment of the population that views the 1st amendment as an existential threat to democracy and freedom and too many avenues by which to seek confirmation bias.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

Sideways was an atrocious movie and I never understood why it was popular.

I think the simple answer is that there just aren't that many movies about people that are 40. There is billions of movies about being young and disillusioned and a reasonable amount touching on being 60+ and disillusioned but not very many about being in the middle of your life and disillusioned by it.

Make a movie that resonates with a certain cohort and it might catch on with a lot of people. It's not literally the only movie about being sad and 40 but there is way less "sad and 40" than "sad and 25" or "sad and 65" movies.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

We've found him, folks, the one idiot who believed the "blind trust" bullshit

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Well poo poo count me in that statistic (looks at empty bourbon bottles, continuously tells self he does not have a problem)

What's the best way to drink bourbon?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the genie's out of the loving bottle actually and the harm has already been done. There's a large segment of the population that views the 1st amendment as an existential threat to democracy and freedom and too many avenues by which to seek confirmation bias.

It's amazing, the overlap those people have with a belief in the sanctity of the constitution.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Start with bourbon neat and continue until the news no longer depresses you

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

Cute that you think trump is not still balls deep in his business dealings.

All the more reasons his businesses would be failing!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/887714930698444801?s=15

https://twitter.com/AndrewBeatty/status/887716363191676929?s=15

Sounding like Trump is confused about what he said a day or two ago.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Skippy Granola posted:

Start with bourbon neat and continue until the news no longer depresses you

This happens in the same moment as unconsciousness hth

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

When I check RCP, I see it at -16, not -23.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

yeah he's really showing those senators what for

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Turkey (as in, news media controlled by the Turkish government) leaked the locations and numbers of US troops located at 10 specific US bases in Syria (which also house French troops at two of them).

http://www.thedailybeast.com/turkey-leaks-secret-locations-of-us-troops-in-syria

Turkey really, really wants to murder all the Kurds and don't even try to hide how much they hate anything that helps those people. If the US were to pull all support for the Kurds I'd give it a year, tops, before Erdogan starts invading Kurdish areas and murdering everyone even if he wouldn't try to expand Turkey's borders while doing so. That he happens to be a religious extremist as well doesn't help.

The people who revolted against Erdogan should've shot down his plane when they had the chance.

The guy who GOP leadership 'joked' about being owned by Russia is... owned by Russia? :monocle:

If the guy didn't come across as human garbage I'd hold out hope that he's actively playing Russia while working with US intelligence services but nothing about them suggests they have ever been smart enough to pull that sort of thing off.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I feel the tendrils of insanity grasping my brain and my heart as I'm taken on Trump's Wild Whiplash Ride

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

What I love about Trump's bullshit is the transparent false precision. Like "60-70%" according to the CBO monkey inside his brain. Or like how there were "3-4 million" fraudulent votes. Or how repeal and replace would occur "within a day, but most likely within an hour". Like, even if you weren't a loving imbecile, you wouldn't be able to make these claims with any degree of accuracy, and we all know it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

But they don't, though. They think *other* women should listen to their husbands, and they, personally, should get all the freedoms that feminists have fought for, like the right to vote, go to university, divorce, and use contraception.

You're describing a different group than the one I'm talking about. Plenty of conservative women have accepted and internalized the idea that women are inferior to men.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DOJ released their new asset forfeiture policy and as expected it's bad. Now allows the Feds to seize property of anyone, even those not charged with a crime, including in states where that is prohibited by state law.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I love how obvious it is that trump knows absolutely nothing about any of the details of this and is still just saying things he thinks sounds good.

FlamingLiberal posted:

DOJ released their new asset forfeiture policy and as expected it's bad. Now allows the Feds to seize property of anyone, even those not charged with a crime, including in states where that is prohibited by state law.

Republicans are the party of small government!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is this not a clear and obvious constitutional violation?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Premiums dropping by 60-70 percent :laffo:

I mean, jeez, at least try and make your lies somewhat plausible

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The funny thing about Hannity's "lock them in a hot room until they have a deal" approach is it wouldn't work. Maybe they reach a deal. Then you have to schedule a vote and schedule proper floor time, etc.

Also, they've had seven loving years to come up with an idea that doesn't basically amount to "gently caress you, work harder or die in the street". No need to lock them in a room. They couldn't even work with an idea that was, at its foundation anyway, the state model of their previous nominee for President before Trump. They don't have any ideas beyond a punitive approach to EVERYTHING. Just whip people more so they work harder. That's it. Full stop.

Lewis Black once said "we have 2 parties. The party of lovely ideas and the party of no ideas". Took me about 5 years to figure out which was which.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

There Bias Two posted:

Sessions doesn't care :ssh:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

He's starting from the goal and then not doing anything to work himself to it. Because he's a buffoon for him poo poo has just worked out his entire life based on him having a lot of money.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the simple answer is that there just aren't that many movies about people that are 40. There is billions of movies about being young and disillusioned and a reasonable amount touching on being 60+ and disillusioned but not very many about being in the middle of your life and disillusioned by it.

Make a movie that resonates with a certain cohort and it might catch on with a lot of people. It's not literally the only movie about being sad and 40 but there is way less "sad and 40" than "sad and 25" or "sad and 65" movies.

I'm now super disappointed that the poll didn't break down responses by age. It would be fun to see if that bump in wine consumption was mostly with people around 40.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

You can see this on both sides of the isle tbh

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Out of a glass, usually. I've heard good things about whisky stones, my friend swears by them.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I looked over it, it's maybe the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There Bias Two posted:

What is "this", a federalism question, or just the concept of civil forfeiture?

• Locked thread