Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Birth of the Dragon has recut their trailer to make it look less like a white guy is starring in the Bruce Lee biopic. But he is and gently caress this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLlxteBbNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That has no reason to exist in a world that already has Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

Birth of the Dragon has recut their trailer to make it look less like a white guy is starring in the Bruce Lee biopic. But he is and gently caress this movie.

This is a white man?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Ng

Edit: Ohhh, it's another character. Well, this trailer fooled me I guess.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I doubt they could do Robotech / Macross justice but I would love to see a live-action version of this scene. It pretty much blew my mind when I was ten.

Edit: jeeeeeez the English dub sucks. The Swedish dub sounded like it was made in someone's cellar but at least they tried to make it sound... well... serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wsIDLdXX00

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 18, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Make Legend of Galactic Heroes the next Game of Thrones. :getin:

It wouldn't be called that, it'd be changed to something like Legend or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Renoistic posted:

I doubt they could do Robotech / Macross justice but I would love to see a live-action version of this scene. It pretty much blew my mind when I was ten.

Edit: jeeeeeez the English dub sucks. The Swedish dub sounded like it was made in someone's cellar but at least they tried to make it sound... well... serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wsIDLdXX00

There's two different English dubs of Macross. There's the Robotech one, which is currently easier to find and the one a lot of people grew up with, but it's also... kinda not great (by 80s dub standards it rules, but not so much in 2017).

However, there's also a second, uncut dub that ADV did when they managed to untangle the rights to the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross (using the full title because it's specifically SDF that got unfucked); it's better by a huge margin (as a dub from like 2005 should be), and has some interesting choices like the original Japanese VA for Minmei dubbing herself in English, but still isn't quite perfect.

e: also, Itano Circus has already been done in live action. Remember the mech from District 9? What I'm saying here is, make the Robotech/Macross movie a Blomkamp joint.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Its like no one has learned from Stonewall

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

This is a white man?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Ng

Edit: Ohhh, it's another character. Well, this trailer fooled me I guess.

Yeah, for those who haven't heard of this movie before the actual main character is a white guy who goes to Lee's school. You see him a bit in that trailer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's basically this year's equivalent of Stonewall.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, for those who haven't heard of this movie before the actual main character is a white guy who goes to Lee's school. You see him a bit in that trailer.

So the movie is giving Bruce Lee the "Green Hornet" treatment instead of the Kung Fu treatment then.

edit: Dragon: The Bruce Lee story is legit good and should be the only biiopic needed on Lee.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I wouldn't call Dragon: The Bruce Lee story legit good. It's way more fiction than biopic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I wouldn't call Dragon: The Bruce Lee story legit good. It's way more fiction than biopic.

As opposed to normally accurate biopics?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Firstborn posted:

I'm sure this upcoming version where about some white dude who occasionally interacts with Bruce Lee will do way more justice to his accomplishments.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure this upcoming version where about some white dude who occasionally interacts with Bruce Lee will do way more justice to his accomplishments.

Just to clarify, this isn't just some white dude, it's a fictional white dude.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mr. Burns avatars dropping the harsh reality left and right.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Went to see The Big Sick today, and beforehand they had one of those ad/infomercial type things for some movie starring Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, and Salma Hayek. Looking it up now, it's called The Hitman's Bodyguard. I bring it up because it comes out in a month and I had never even heard of it before today. I can only imagine how much it's going to bomb.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its been playing previews in front of other action movies for a couple of months and the trailers look good :shrug:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cacator posted:

Just to clarify, this isn't just some white dude, it's a fictional white dude.

Ah, so he's Kevin Costner in Hidden Figures.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Its been playing previews in front of other action movies for a couple of months and the trailers look good :shrug:

Agreed, I liked the trailer. Reminded me of underrated imo Ryan Reynolds action movie Safe House with Denzel Washington.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Chairman Capone posted:

Went to see The Big Sick today, and beforehand they had one of those ad/infomercial type things for some movie starring Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson, and Salma Hayek. Looking it up now, it's called The Hitman's Bodyguard. I bring it up because it comes out in a month and I had never even heard of it before today. I can only imagine how much it's going to bomb.

Well, Fred Flintstone apparently, there's been plenty of ads for it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I've seen enough advertising for it that I've actually gotten kinda sick of it. It's in a weird space where 10-15 years ago it would have done well with traditional advertising, but now... Eh.

Best it will probably hope for is okay returns and decent word of mouth, and the sequel will hopefully get the John Wick 2 treatment (first grossed $88 mil, second $170 mil).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Hitman's Bodyguard looks funny and might be one of those dumb comedies that you'll watch all the time when it is on cable

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Trailer for the new Ultraman movie....wait a minute, that's not Ultraman, it's a bootleg!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESub22Q-Zq0

Tsuburaya Productions is very mad

http://kotaku.com/japans-biggest-superhero-ripped-off-in-new-film-1797047149

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix is doing an adaptation of the horror novel Bird Box, which will be kind of hard to do. The book follows a middle aged woman and her two children 10 years after some kind of creature appeared all over the world and if you look at said creature, for even a split second, you will go irreparably insane and kill anyone around you and eventually yourself. The book has a split narrative cutting between 10 years after it happens and then back to when everything started.

I just don't know how they'll be able to adapt the premise for a movie since the tension was from not knowing if it was safe or not.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Trailer for the new Ultraman movie....wait a minute, that's not Ultraman, it's a bootleg!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESub22Q-Zq0

Tsuburaya Productions is very mad

http://kotaku.com/japans-biggest-superhero-ripped-off-in-new-film-1797047149

:wtc:
How could you possibly think this was okay to do?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I hope this opens the floodgates and something completely out there happens like Disney is just like gently caress it, Dr. Doom is in the next MCU series when Infinity War finishes up, try and sue us Fox. Or like Sony releases a trailer for a Mad Max movie or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GonSmithe posted:

:wtc:
How could you possibly think this was okay to do?
It's China. What are they going to do, ban film releases in the region? Especially after all that ChinaCash has been financing poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope this opens the floodgates and something completely out there happens like Disney is just like gently caress it, Dr. Doom is in the next MCU series when Infinity War finishes up, try and sue us Fox. Or like Sony releases a trailer for a Mad Max movie or something.

I would rather see someone in China make a movie full of unlicensed characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's been ten years since the last one so you know what that means, time for another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
someone just please please stop the footloving egomaniac from doing his Charlie Manson movie, that dude has been glorified and stylized and sensationalized enough
it's like the worst possible pairing of subject matter & director

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

someone just please please stop the footloving egomaniac from doing his Charlie Manson movie, that dude has been glorified and stylized and sensationalized enough
it's like the worst possible pairing of subject matter & director

You're gonna have to be more specific

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It's been ten years since the last one so you know what that means, time for another remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

The Worlds End wasn't ten years ago??

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Tarantino's doing a Manson biopic for his next pic. He showed the Manson 72 doc at the New Beverly a while back, if it captures the tone of that, I'll be there day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMo5jEnL5Ng

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Shageletic posted:

Tarantino or Whedon?
FE: oh, Tarantino

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The relationship of the Manson murders and pop culture is already like, too much in that direction. If you're gonna do a Manson movie, make it dry and Zodiac-like. We don't need Tarantino doing his cartoonish poo poo with something like this, it's already been sensationalized, glorified, and cartoonified for the last X decades.

in before the shot of Margot Robbie or Jennifer Lawrence or whatever with her bare feet on a shag carpet while blood pools/soaks in

it's like, you might as well do a movie about the goddamn Hi-Fi murders, Quentin.

quote:

In the house, Tate pleaded to be allowed to live long enough to have her baby, and even offered herself as a hostage in an attempt to save the life of her unborn child, but her killers would have none of it, as either Atkins, Watson, or both killed Tate, who was stabbed 16 times. Watson later wrote that Tate cried, "Mother ... mother ..." as she was being killed
yeah definitely sounds like something I want Quentin loving Tarantino to make a film out of. I'm sure he'll be tasteful as gently caress.......

Like, at least Natural Born Killers was a satire not directly based on a true event where a bunch of people got horrifically murdered. at least with Inglorious Basterds they didn't have edgy concentration camp scenes, at least Django ain't based on an actual dude

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/883023996500844544

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Valerian is... good?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The relationship of the Manson murders and pop culture is already like, too much in that direction. If you're gonna do a Manson movie, make it dry and Zodiac-like. We don't need Tarantino doing his cartoonish poo poo with something like this, it's already been sensationalized, glorified, and cartoonified for the last X decades.

in before the shot of Margot Robbie or Jennifer Lawrence or whatever with her bare feet on a shag carpet while blood pools/soaks in

it's like, you might as well do a movie about the goddamn Hi-Fi murders, Quentin.

yeah definitely sounds like something I want Quentin loving Tarantino to make a film out of. I'm sure he'll be tasteful as gently caress.......

Like, at least Natural Born Killers was a satire not directly based on a true event where a bunch of people got horrifically murdered. at least with Inglorious Basterds they didn't have edgy concentration camp scenes, at least Django ain't based on an actual dude

I remember liking Manson, My Name is Evil. It feels like the kind of movie I'd imagine Tarantino would make (not a negative thing) which is some kind of less frantic NBK. But the characters they focused on were presented in a way that kept me interested.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1345488/reference

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I too judge movies before a single frame has been shot. :confused:

quote:

That's funny because NBK is the first movie I think of when I think of Hitchcock lamenting on the desensitization of the audience. That movie is straight garbo, only saved by sporadic performances, but ultimately doomed by its earnest "these characters are obnoxious because they're DEEP" Oliver Stone-isms, which would later doom his movie U-Turn.

I honestly don't get the love for Natural Born Killers, and outside of Platoon, Born on the 4th of July, and Wall Street (which are all amazing, Platoon being in my top 5 of all time), the rest of Stone's work has been less than impressive.

e: also, Zodiac is anything but dry. The main character is an obsessed paranoiac who projects his fears on everyone for pete's sake! And that tracking shot on the cab as it's heading towards its ultimate doom is incredibly voyeuristic.

The idea that David Fincher could make a "dry" movie is laughable. He's one of the few capital D Directors still out there doing the drat thing.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Debra Tate, who owns the rights to her sister's likeness, prefers Margot Robbie to play Sharon because J-Law is apparently not the right kind of pretty.

• Locked thread