Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Oh for sure. Except for rare cases (usually work from home types or a group of college people sharing a house), most gigabit customers I've seen drop down to 300 or 100 Mbps service after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well I'll be on it for a year, since gigabit for $69/mo is literally the best possible internet package in this entire country for all time!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man I wish that was available in Toronto. I was pretty pleased with my $74/mo 250/25 from Rogers. I don't need the speed, but I'll take the savings any day of the week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new CRTC chair is a former Telus lobbyist. It's all over.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
God drat it, I've got to stop reading this thread; it's never good news. :sigh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Son of a bitch. Guessing we'll be in the same poo poo as America soon.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

Man I wish that was available in Toronto. I was pretty pleased with my $74/mo 250/25 from Rogers. I don't need the speed, but I'll take the savings any day of the week.

I have the gigabit Bell Fibe on that 2 year deal. It'll be interesting to see what's available from third parties by that point.

Hell, 100/100 would be totally fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I will sit here smugly on my Novus internet and laugh at u all

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

quote:

In announcing Scott's hiring, Heritage Minister Melanie Joly noted his "deep understanding of what Canadians expect in their telecommunications and broadcasting systems."

Yes, we've come to expect higher prices and less competition. That doesn't mean it's what we want.

Libs gonna lib! :canada:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Powershift posted:

The new CRTC chair is a former Telus lobbyist. It's all over.

I'm always so scared when this thread updates. This is why.

Jan posted:

Yes, we've come to expect higher prices and less competition. That doesn't mean it's what we want.

Libs gonna lib! :canada:

gently caress

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am on Novus now too but just went with their bundle promotion because phone + tv + internet all for like $70 or whatever it was is a pretty good deal. I can't even get the gigabit package in my building.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 19, 2017

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

cowofwar posted:

I am on Novus now too but just went with their bundle promotion because phone + tv + internet all for like $70 or whatever it was is a pretty good deal.

Please Chairman Scott, punish this goon for their hubris in thinking that they can enjoy good things at reasonable prices.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitr0 posted:

It's almost like the vast majority have absolutely no use for 1gbit and it's all a big marketing ploy!! Craaaaazy

I have zero speed choices for upload between 10mbit and 1000mbit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It appears Telus is starting to increase the speed in at least some Alberta Fibre towns. I am at 150 here, and it's not even showing as available anymore.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

What WHAT? I'm going to look right now if I can get this. That's the same price I'm already paying for 150.

e: drat doesn't look like it's in Edmonton yet. Where are you located?

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 2, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm in Coaldale, a little bedroom community just outside of Lethbridge. Hopefully they'll be rolling it out elsewhere :/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Always the small places gettin it first. I'll call Telus and see what kind of time frame they can give me.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah Telus practices on smaller towns to refine their process before going into the larger cities, makes sense I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, because if they really screw something up, they can just dig a hole, push the town into it, cover it over, and move on to the next one.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Shockingly they gave no time frame. They just hope to do it "this summer".

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Small towns get fibre first for two reasons,

1) It's much cheaper to lay as most towns will make all the concessions they can, while in larger cities telcos/cablecos have to get all the proper permits and licenses

2) For telcos most small towns have the shittiest copper installations imaginable to man that usually can only manage ADSL speeds, so there's more potential for charging people more once they upgrade to fibre

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Telus already has a bunch of fibre run in Edmonton, they just don't have the bigger plans available yet. Not sure if it's an infrastructure thing or just a business rollout plan to gather interest.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Still no word on when Saanich is getting fibre, despite Oak Bay right next door having it. :sigh:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

DariusLikewise posted:

1) It's much cheaper to lay as most towns will make all the concessions they can, while in larger cities telcos/cablecos have to get all the proper permits and licenses

2) For telcos most small towns have the shittiest copper installations imaginable to man that usually can only manage ADSL speeds, so there's more potential for charging people more once they upgrade to fibre

3) The potential risk for extreme bandwidth utilization (and related problems like wrong equipment purchases) if someone screwed up their predictions is also reduced.

Of course, it also means that the towns get to have all the ongoing problems with bad deployments if they can't be fixed cheaply/easily.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

Still no word on when Saanich is getting fibre, despite Oak Bay right next door having it. :sigh:

The Tweed Curtain is real

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

DariusLikewise posted:

This is actually the opposite of true, their fiber costs less with the plans they're offering than what they're charging for the adsl.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Nitr0 posted:

This is actually the opposite of true, their fiber costs less with the plans they're offering than what they're charging for the adsl.

for 6-12 months on a two year contract

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

DariusLikewise posted:

To add some background to #1, I've been trying to track the fibre rollout from Execulink in Oxford County in Ontario. I called the county to ask about what was going on in a particular area and the response I got was paraphrased "Yeah we approved those folks to put cables in the ground all over, I think the only thing holding them back is the MTO when they want to cross the highways"

One of the workers I spoke to said they're doing about 1km of fibre a day average, often closer to 5-10km outside of populated areas. It's shocking how fast they're able to roll it out.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Telus already has a bunch of fibre run in Edmonton, they just don't have the bigger plans available yet. Not sure if it's an infrastructure thing or just a business rollout plan to gather interest.

Same for me in Vancouver. I have a fibre line running into my condo suite, but 150 is the highest plan available.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Kreez posted:

Same for me in Vancouver. I have a fibre line running into my condo suite, but 150 is the highest plan available.

I have Telus Fibre 150/150 in my house in Southern Edmonton. It's nice. I keep champing at the bit for 1gig but realistically I don't know what I'd do with it, I just want it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kreez posted:

Ask your strata to invite Novus, etc, in.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Antioch posted:

I have Telus Fibre 150/150 in my house in Southern Edmonton. It's nice. I keep champing at the bit for 1gig but realistically I don't know what I'd do with it, I just want it.

Telus keeps trying to sell me 150/150, and I'd really appreciate the additional upload over the 15 I have with Shaw, but the building isn't wired for it, despite the sales people keep saying it is. They even got a technician over and he's like "yeah, we'd have to pull an additional line up, and there's no spare spots in the equipment downstairs." :(

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Telus keeps trying to sell me 150/150, and I'd really appreciate the additional upload over the 15 I have with Shaw, but the building isn't wired for it, despite the sales people keep saying it is. They even got a technician over and he's like "yeah, we'd have to pull an additional line up, and there's no spare spots in the equipment downstairs." :(

Telus somehow skipped my postal code (~6 houses) while doing everything else around us. The door to door sales people refuse to believe their own computer system that says 15/whatever is the best they can do so I've settled on "no" over "have you actually upgraded these houses yet?" following some earlier escalation a few years ago that confirmed "nope!"

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I expected nothing, but I'm still disappointed.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-312.htm

tldr: FTTP access prices cost more than the entire service from the incumbent.

Wall of shame, Bell @ $121.79, and Cogeco @ $172.43 for all service regardless of speed.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 29, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

John Capslocke posted:

I expected nothing, but I'm still disappointed.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-312.htm

tldr: FTTP access prices cost more than the entire service from the incumbent.

Wall of shame, Bell @ $121.79, and Cogeco @ $172.43 for all service regardless of speed.

That's just the proposed rates, not the CRTC approved ones. The whole document is so bold faced though I wonder if the incumbents think they have buy in now that they have an industry lobbyist heading up the CRTC. It'll be months before this is all resolved, and if it doesn't go their way, the incumbents will ever so slightly change their offerings (70mbit down instead of 60) and file new crazy tariffs that have to be contested all over again. Just keep abusing the process to bleed your enemies dry.

FYI: that $121.79 is just for access to the customer demark. Transit costs and peering costs are not included. As a comparison, Bell offers end users gigabit internet, TV, and telephone for $99.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Wait

Videotron don't have FTTP?

:(

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Migishu posted:

Wait

Videotron don't have FTTP?

:(

Cable companies need it less, as a hybrid-fibre-coax upgraded cable plant can do gigabit offerings with good stability if the cable companies want to. Phone companies could not offer anything comparable over phone lines, thus they needed fibre.

CRTC has also said that it expects to announce the actual interim rates for fibre access on September 8th. Hopefully they will be significantly lower than the incumbent proposed rates.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Rogers is transparently hedging it's bets by offering free gigabit speeds on the 150 tier until January 2018.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Half a year after getting a Fibe jack bolted to my wall, Bell has sent me their initial offer tailored for my building:

$99/mo for 1 year for download speeds of up to 300Mbps with unlimited traffic, no mention of upload speed
free install with a 2 year contract
$155/mo during year 2
tri-band wifi router
TV service with a whole home PVR
Home Phone

No specifics on what the TV service is because for my convenience there are no details in print or online and I have the convenience of taking my flyer and personal promo code to a The Source store to find out more.

Since I spent the last six months uploading all my media to the cloud at 10mpbs I'll probably pass on the higher speeds, but this appears to be the new install offer for anyone else who got wired up recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

8ender posted:

Rogers is transparently hedging it's bets by offering free gigabit speeds on the 150 tier until January 2018.

Huh. That's a half tempting offer.

Thing is though, that I get 250 down for the same price they're currently offering the $150. Not sure if it's really worth it then.