Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Did Shadow Warrior 2 end up good and how is the PS4 version?

idk how the ps4 version runs but it seemed like a pretty cool game on pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

haha I skipped it entirely! That's a shame because I heard minerva's den is really, really good (I haven't tried that one out either for some weird reason even though I certainly enjoyed Bioshock 2)

I don't think Levine had anything to do with Minerva's Den (or Bioshock 2 for that matter)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minerva's Den was done by the guy who eventually went on to form Fullbright Co. and Gone Home. And Tacoma later this year, I guess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
now i'm really excited because you all reminded me that there's bioshock content I haven't played or experienced

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bioshock Infinite is pretty cool overall but could've used more writing and gameplay talent and less art direction talent. Great music and voice acting tho. It came out like a month before The Last of Us and really suffers when compared to that game. I think overall that Ken Levine kinda got a bit conceited from the positive reaction to his previous games (which, let's face it, are pretty much the same as Infinite, but standards were so much lower in the early '00s). He's probably a better creative director than outright game director but whatever. Also, that 'fire everyone' stunt to keep the studio doors open was not very classy and kind of harmed my opinion of him forever.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

now i'm really excited because you all reminded me that there's bioshock content I haven't played or experienced

I really hope I'm not responsible for someone buying and playing Burial at Sea

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinite was one of the worst games I've ever played and one of the few games I legit hate, the DLC was just the poo poo icing on the poo poo cake.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

I really hope I'm not responsible for someone buying and playing Burial at Sea

Surely he means he's finally gonna play Minerva's Den.

As someone else who liked Infinite, I will affirm: Do Not Play the DLC.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think Infinite has an interesting story, it's just not the story it was sold as. Burial at Sea is loving terrible and ruins both the main game and the first game somehow. I legitimately almost quit out of disgust at one point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Burial at Sea is loving terrible and ruins both the main game and the first game somehow. I legitimately almost quit out of disgust at one point.

I wish I had so I could have avoided seeing the ending

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shadow warrior 2 is great. But I played on PC, so I can recommend it on its merits as a game but don't know how it runs on PS4

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Not a single thing I have heard about Ready Player One makes me want to read it, and a lot of what I've heard makes me think it's either bad or that I would strongly dislike it.

It's still baffling to me that Spielberg is making the movie version of that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From what I've heard the only similarity is has to the book is that it uses the same name.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I was definitely referring to minerva's den but no lie, y'alls reactions are inspiring a morbid curiosity in me

I need to experience Burial at Sea for myself now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:ohdear:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the thing with your eye in first person was really uncomfortable in burial at sea

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the thing with your eye in first person was really uncomfortable in burial at sea

This is the thing that made me want to quit

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I was definitely referring to minerva's den but no lie, y'alls reactions are inspiring a morbid curiosity in me

I need to experience Burial at Sea for myself now

:negative:

What have I done...

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

:negative:

What have I done...
Pretty sure this is a felony.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read the Wikipedia summary for Burial at Sea and it retroactively erased some of the enjoyment I had gotten from BioShock

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's the worst thing about it, it ruins the first Bioshock too

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah the worst thing about it is def the eye thing

that sucked

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://youtu.be/RrX2ZDFu0eY

This might be the worst voice acting I've ever heard

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
The first Bioshock had a lot of crap moments, the world was incredible though and it did enough things well that it made up for its downfalls, at least up until about the point you get grafted into a Big Daddy Suit, they should have just had you fight a megalodon after that and called it a day

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Burial at Sea makes Infinite's already bad story unfathomably worse, ruins the events of Bioshock 1 and renders Bioshock 2 non-canon. Which ironically means Bioshock 2 ends up holding up the best when all is said and done.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I want to do that. gently caress Bioshock.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Macarius Wrench posted:

The first Bioshock had a lot of crap moments, the world was incredible though and it did enough things well that it made up for its downfalls, at least up until about the point you get grafted into a Big Daddy Suit, they should have just had you fight a megalodon after that and called it a day

after andrew ryan dies, the first bioshock takes a dive in quality. seemed like they had no plan for the story after that and went "uh uh uh now you're a big daddy, go fight the hulk". before that is really cool tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Manatee Cannon posted:

after andrew ryan dies, the first bioshock takes a dive in quality. seemed like they had no plan for the story after that and went "uh uh uh now you're a big daddy, go fight the hulk". before that is really cool tho

Yeah if it ended at Ryan it would have been perfect. The ending is shocking.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
what's bizarre is that despite how mysterious the game seems in bioshock 1, you take down your first big daddy really early in the game, like within the first two hours

then after that, you never once face or see anything scarier than that until lame mutant last boss. It's so weird and I insist that that company does not know how to make fun enemies or notable encounters. So much for mystery

I guess a lot of shooters have traditionally been really dumb about this but still

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://youtu.be/RrX2ZDFu0eY

This might be the worst voice acting I've ever heard

Bioshock voice acting is all the same quality; all the games sort of ham it up.

Doesn't help to have subtitles on tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Ah I dunno, Atlas in the original was a sort of sketchy Irish accent but that one in the video is just a really bad performance. Listen to the word slurring near the start, it sounds so amateurish.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh eww did they tie in booker and elizabeth as having played canonical major roles in the events of the first one, rather than just having a story that takes place in rapture?

loving gross

don't they know that every universe ever becomes poo poo as soon as they try to extend upon its original scope??

i forgot though we're dealing with I N F I N I T E here

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KingSlime posted:

what's bizarre is that despite how mysterious the game seems in bioshock 1, you take down your first big daddy really early in the game, like within the first two hours

then after that, you never once face or see anything scarier than that until lame mutant last boss. It's so weird and I insist that that company does not know how to make fun enemies or notable encounters. So much for mystery

I guess a lot of shooters have traditionally been really dumb about this but still

As I said, too much art talent.

Just about everyone suckered themselves into thinking Bioshock was an incredibly deep experience, when it's pretty much all surface. That overabundance of surface is almost even the point.

Gameplay in Bioshock 1 was garbo, and even though the storytelling was a positive influence on the industry as a whole, people give the game too much credit these days. loving God of War plays better than Bioshock.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It came out over a decade ago though. Apart from HL2, most FPS games back then were awful.
As an XBOX360 near-launch game it was pretty amazing. I remember being blown away by the water effects on my friend's Xbox.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Absolutely. I feel like, unless you were playing classic games from generations past, most games at that time had kinda poo poo gameplay and art direction as industry-standard default

Everyone was lapping up the latest AAA games but the era between GC/PS2/XBOX and Wii/PS3/360 was a particularly weird one

Back then, BIoshock was one of those games where I felt like "oh hell yeah, they DO know how to make fun, stylish games with personality still"

These days we are swimming in so much polished quality content (no way a soulsborne game or any game with such attention to detail would have ever been pitched back then) but it was pretty dreary for a minute unless you liked brown and gray military shooters (or stuck to portables, which have always had Good poo poo coming out)

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 19, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It came out over a decade ago though. Apart from HL2, most FPS games back then were awful.
As an XBOX360 near-launch game it was pretty amazing. I remember being blown away by the water effects on my friend's Xbox.

It was all surface, dude. FPS games played a lot better before Bioshock. If anything, Bioshock ushered in a decade of mediocre gameplay bathed in shiny presentation, an endless torrent of skill-tree bullshit QTE FPS cinema games, rather than the skill-based movement games of the previous decade. This is genre disease which we are only just now putting to rest with stuff like Doom, Titanfall, and Wolfenstein.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Digirat posted:

Shadow warrior 2 is great. But I played on PC, so I can recommend it on its merits as a game but don't know how it runs on PS4

It runs at 30 FPS and dips when there's too much going on. I was super hyped for the PS4 version but it was really disappointing in the end. The save bug killed a lot of momentum for a whole week until they fixed it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Did anyone else try out that demo for The Surge? It came out this week.

I'm a huge fan of Souls-style games and was really interested in The Surge after watching some streamers and such play it, but the price and the pedigree of coming from the people behind Lords of the Fallen took me aback so having a demo for it was a really good call. It feels pretty good! I like a lot of the mechanics going on in this game so far, with having limb-based damage to rip off parts from your enemies and research how to build them yourself for example. There's a bunch of little things I like, such as picking up objects doesn't bring up a little prompt you have to click away or the dodge system having a duck/hop system mapped to the stick like God Hand (unfortunately the demo lacked any instances where it's needed) but yeah! I'll definitely pick this up when it goes on sale, still way too expensive up here but it's something I really want to play through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

didn't even know there was a demo so thanks for the heads up. will have to check that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Marogareh posted:

It runs at 30 FPS and dips when there's too much going on. I was super hyped for the PS4 version but it was really disappointing in the end. The save bug killed a lot of momentum for a whole week until they fixed it.

That's not good. One of the best features of the PC version is how absurdly well optimized it is in spite of having better graphics than most modern AAA games. My 970 with otherwise 5-year-old hardware runs it nearly maxed at a perfect 60 FPS. Seems like the console versions should be able to do better than 30 at least?

Just confusing because normally it's the PC versions that have optimization issues.