Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Iucounu posted:

What are your guy's favorite pedal platform amps around $500? Looking for something loud enough for a band with a decent amount of clean headroom

I would spend the extra hundred dollars or so and get a Fender Twin Reverb honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

jwh posted:

I would spend the extra hundred dollars or so and get a Fender Twin Reverb honestly.
Or a JC120 if you don't want to deal with tubes.

I love dealing with tubes, but when I play out it's in my garage.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hot Rod Deluxe

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think these are good for the price

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSL40C/combo-amps/marshall-dsl40c-combo

I just got a Blackstar HT5r for small gigs and it seems OK, a bit trebly but I'll change the speaker and tubes soon because I am a massive nerd

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I think these are good for the price

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSL40C/combo-amps/marshall-dsl40c-combo

I just got a Blackstar HT5r for small gigs and it seems OK, a bit trebly but I'll change the speaker and tubes soon because I am a massive nerd

How is the reverb? I feel like I've heard it slagged but I don't remember specifically.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jwh posted:

You should be able to find a Red Knob Twin for $500-$600, and I bet you could have a lot of fun seeing how the boosts and notches work with various pedals. Plus you'll also get the 1/4 power switch.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

How is the reverb? I feel like I've heard it slagged but I don't remember specifically.

It's alright, if you just want a straight down the line no frills reverb id does the job with no fanfare.
The whole thing as a package is I would say really good overall, you do get a few nice things like emulated out, line in for mp3 players etc.
I'd say I would recommend them, the gain sounds are ballsy and full for the size of the thing. Build quality is great, materials used are great. There is a lot to like really.
I am doing a gig with it tomorrow so I'll report back but so far it's like the 60 watt Blackstar I had, everything is good but I dunno, it may suffer from not having a 'Thing' - Like Vox is chimey, Fender is glorious clean, Marshall is awesome at compressed overdrive, Blackstrar don't have a Thing like that so it feels a bit like a blank canvas. That could be a good thing though as well of course.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mentioning Marshall-- make a lil demo of that beautiful Bluesbreaker if you haven't already :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

IIRC if you are in the US you can get that Marshall from Sweetwater with a celestion creamback at no extra cost.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mentioning Marshall-- make a lil demo of that beautiful Bluesbreaker if you haven't already :)

I need to, it's down at the studio but I'll do my best next week. I got to crank it to 10 the other night and it sounded off the scale good. They must design them for this as it seems to be what everyone does with them given the chance. It didn't rattle, fart or get flustered in any way, it was just sat there running at full blast and totally happy about it. And the sound wasn't uncomfortable either it just sounded awesome.

I've never owned anything like it. It's such a simple amp that puts the power and control firmly in your guitar controls and that suits me massively. My channel switch is my pick up selector and that is very much what I like, the less tap dancing on pedals the better for me :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I need to, it's down at the studio but I'll do my best next week.

I'm being bossy. There's no hurry but I would love to hear it if you get the chance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm being bossy. There's no hurry but I would love to hear it if you get the chance.

No it's cool :) I wish I saw it more, I got it for the band so only see it when I'm down there. I am making time next week to go down and try this attenuator out so I'll try and do it then :)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I can't wait!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

IIRC if you are in the US you can get that Marshall from Sweetwater with a celestion creamback at no extra cost.

Creambacks are the beeeest.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Paging Dr Faustus. Paging Dr Faustus to the white courtesy phone. Thank you.

http://carlscustomguitars.com/Head-conversion-cab-for-Fender-Hot-Rod-Blues-Deluxe-Deville-Deluxe-Deville-Head.htm

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Considering what I just committed myself to with this new Strat, I will not be looking at anything that might tempt me to spend yet more.

Looks like it wouldn't fit the little Blues Jr. chassis anyway. It's smaller. I don't own any cabinets! GET THEE FROM ME!

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Quick questions.

Whats the deal with amps that have what looks like power plugs on the back. Like the inlet you would plug a wall wort into.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

philkop posted:

Quick questions.

Whats the deal with amps that have what looks like power plugs on the back. Like the inlet you would plug a wall wort into.

Like this? It's just a courtesy outlet wired to the normal plug. Use it to power whatever you want that's close to the amp. Good for powering effects or whatever when outlets are limited.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

FancyMike posted:

Like this? It's just a courtesy outlet wired to the normal plug. Use it to power whatever you want that's close to the amp. Good for powering effects or whatever when outlets are limited.

Ah neat. That's what I figured.

I was hoping it wasn't some weird alternate way of powering the amp via the ole death cable.

I'm trying to do something similar with a tiny champ clone I have. I have a single Reverb pedal I'd like to keep int he back of the amp and run at all times.

I'll probably just go with a small 3 input power strip like this https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-O...er%2Bstrip&th=1

that I'll plug the amp into, the pedal into and then have one extra spot for my pedalboards main plug.

It would just suck having to plug my guitar into the reverb pedal instead of the amp, but that's the price you pay for mild convenience.

E: I realize I could just keep my Reverb on my board but I want to keep it in the small amp box because I often bring it to a nearbye park and play just amp + guitar. I'd rather have the reverb only for these situations without having to bring my board.

philkop fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 24, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Every decent sized amp with an fx loop should have a power outlet, you cheap rear end motherfuckers :argh:

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
Re: pedal platform amps. I make loads of money so I have too many pedals that I rarely use (comparatively novice), but if I could only choose two, it'd be my TS808 and my Strymon BigSky. I bought an Egnator 40w Tweaker stack to use as a platform. True to its name, it requires a lot of time messing with the knobs to get stuff dialed in to what you want. Ive owned it for a few months now and it sounds REALLY good in an amp stand with a slight amount of dirt and volume, but at apartment volumes it's unimpressive (duh). I have a Monoprice 15w thingy (knock-off Blues Jr) that a buddy of mine handwired a while back and I absolutely love it for a pretty wide spectrum of play--Ive been messing with a lot of post-rock/shoe-gaze and stuff most Blues dads probably tell you to start off with. Never tried the factory models but as far as I understand it handwiring can make a BIG difference. It has become my pedal platform because honestly even though the BigSky is incredible I'm not creative enough at the moment to really do anything Id be proud enough to record.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

FancyMike posted:

Clint Conley from Mission of Burma use to shave onstage with his electric razor plugged into the back of his SVT.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

philkop posted:

Ah neat. That's what I figured.

I was hoping it wasn't some weird alternate way of powering the amp via the ole death cable.

That's not a death cable! A death cable is just a plug that ends in two exposed wires.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So my mini side quest to make this little Blackstar HT5R the best little amp it can be is going well, on the left is what's coming out, on the right what I just put in

It sounds a lot nicer already, fuller and warmer for sure. The speaker that came with it made even humbuckers sound a bit ice pickish so it's cool not to have that any more. New valves are on their way and that's all I'm doing, but so far really happy with this little amp :)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Interested in hearing about the results you get, I've got the 1w version of that I wouldn't mind upgrading a little!

Do you gig with the 5w? It seems pretty loud.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

field balm posted:

Interested in hearing about the results you get, I've got the 1w version of that I wouldn't mind upgrading a little!

Do you gig with the 5w? It seems pretty loud.

It's for small gigs / open mic stuff and it held its own just about! I turn it up full and then use the guitar volumes and it seemed OK, that was with the old speaker though, I'll be playing another couple of nights this week so I'll report back with the new speaker and tubes.
It was too harsh, so the speaker swap it was :)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Speaking of 5 watters. I just added reverb to my 5F2A Champ.

Foxpedal Magnifica Reverb. Wondering sounding reverb that can do some more subtle amp style sounds and some cavernous self oscillating and ringing tones. Really inspiring pedal. It has a very slight modulation always on that gives a nice warble to the sound.

I had an 8" Weber in this amp but it had a real nasty trapped frequency that was giving me headaches. I think it was too much speaker for the tiny Fender Champion 600 cab. I snagged the stock speaker + baffle for $25 and haven't looked back. Sounds great to me at the volumes I use this amp for.

The new input is on the pedal. Its rough but it works for my needs. Everything is nice and sturdy though. I preferred this amp open back anyways so I'm not worried about the backplate.

I love this thing even more now! I have small pedalboard (http://imgur.com/a/AKjjE) I use with this amp and my larger Carvin Nomad, but when it comes to grab and go, I find I can get all of the sounds I need out of this little mini amp + reverb. Beautiful clean machine. I'm swapping the pilot gem for a blue one soon.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Medlar posted:

Re: pedal platform amps. I make loads of money so I have too many pedals that I rarely use (comparatively novice), but if I could only choose two, it'd be my TS808 and my Strymon BigSky. I bought an Egnator 40w Tweaker stack to use as a platform. True to its name, it requires a lot of time messing with the knobs to get stuff dialed in to what you want. Ive owned it for a few months now and it sounds REALLY good in an amp stand with a slight amount of dirt and volume, but at apartment volumes it's unimpressive (duh). I have a Monoprice 15w thingy (knock-off Blues Jr) that a buddy of mine handwired a while back and I absolutely love it for a pretty wide spectrum of play--Ive been messing with a lot of post-rock/shoe-gaze and stuff most Blues dads probably tell you to start off with. Never tried the factory models but as far as I understand it handwiring can make a BIG difference. It has become my pedal platform because honestly even though the BigSky is incredible I'm not creative enough at the moment to really do anything Id be proud enough to record.

Hand-wiring vs a pcb? Makes a BIG difference?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Hand-wiring vs a pcb? Makes a BIG difference?
Having worked for a company that built outrageously expensive amplifiers and preamps and DACs, I can tell you this is 99% audiophile bullshit. We built a $10k preamp built up off a PCB, we built DACs that were exclusively PCB, and we hand-wired some incredibly heavy tube power amps. This is for the market where the turntable plus amps plus speaker wire and other bullshit costs as much as a starter home in an upscale neighborhood.
The main rationale for hand-wiring being superior is that you can make the wiring non-linear/non-parallel to "reduce inductance" but to be honest I doubt any of that would pass a double-blind listening test.

Although on the flip side (I've told this story before), the owner of this company did catch a mistake just by listening to a preamp: We'd used the wrong brand of stranded wire. I'm not kidding, we used two brands of stranded wire in this preamp, and one was for the rest of the assembly and another was just for the selector switch/input jack connections. They were both the same gauge stranded wire, same materials as far as I could tell. The unit was built, tested, the bottom installed, and burned in overnight.
He put it through his listening test through his products and these insane speakers, and brought it to us with the bottom still on it. He told us we'd probably used the wrong brand of wire on the selector switch and I thought he must have peeked or something, because no way you could hear something like that.
I was wrong. He was right. We had used the wrong brand of wire and he had not peeked first. That kinda blew my loving mind, man.

I enjoyed that work, but it sucked earning $7.25/hr to turn out 70-watt power amps that cost tens of thousands of dollars (just the powert tubes alone were $1k/set). I didn't learn anything about amp circuits, just the solder-jockey/assembly work.

So in my estimation a well-designed PCB is no better or worse than hand-wiring but that's just my $0.02.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Dr. Faustus posted:

"Handwired".....99% audiophile bullshit.

I figure I'll voice a pro for handwiring. I like the idea of hand-wired just in terms of future proofing. I care less about whatever supposed sound advantage a hand wired circuit may have and care more about the ease of modifications/repairs. Within reason though.

My main amp is not handwired because for the cost of hand wired amp with similar specs, I could buy three of my main amp.

I do have a small 5w hand wired Champ clone (pictured a few posts above) that I bought to learn how to mod and build upon. I managed to snag this for about $200 which was well within my budget for a small carry around amp. I specifically sought out this circuit, hand wired for the sake of eventually modifying it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the main advantage of hand wiring as I see it is that repairs get easier.

That said I don't think the traces on PCBs are really ever an issue, I have never heard of one going bad on its own, only when someone fucks with it.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Shugojin posted:

That said I don't think the traces on PCBs are really ever an issue, I have never heard of one going bad on its own, only when someone fucks with it.

This. Although it might be rare that anything goes wrong with the actual traces, the issue is that its much harder to find a tech who would be willing to work on the amp for you. Even if its just a bad cap or resistor or something small. At least this has been my experience. Most of em will just tell you the amp is toast.

philkop fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 30, 2017

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Can anyone help me identify what this amp might sound like from the components? How many watts it might be roughly?

Might get a deal on it. The amp isn't working but might be a simple fix and either way, I like the cab + chassis alone for the price I might get it for anyways. Its a "Pepco Arc" made in Canada.

Just wondering if its similar to any fender amps or other common designs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea I was being coy: being on a pcb doesn't mean it sounds worse. It means nothing whatsoever. Point to point wiring looks cool. I like cool looking wiring too man.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I was not even thinking about the practicality of working on hand-wired circuits. I assumed the debate was "which sounds better" but please forgive me, I worked for those guys and had to deal with it.

In terms of practicality, it's a lot harder to mess up a connection on a turret or something than it is to accidentally lift or destroy a trace on a PCB. Cutting/drilling PCB, scraping and repairing traces; these are things I would rather not have to do. I wasn't thinking about that part when I replied.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

philkop posted:

Can anyone help me identify what this amp might sound like from the components? How many watts it might be roughly?

Might get a deal on it. The amp isn't working but might be a simple fix and either way, I like the cab + chassis alone for the price I might get it for anyways. Its a "Pepco Arc" made in Canada.

Just wondering if its similar to any fender amps or other common designs.

I go by 25 - 30 watt per power amp tube so that's probably a 50 watt if I am seeing it right.
Transformer looks beefy as well so probably decent.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I go by 25 - 30 watt per power amp tube so that's probably a 50 watt if I am seeing it right.
Transformer looks beefy as well so probably decent.

It looks like only one power tube to me? I can't see super well but it looks like a single 12a*7 preamp, a 6*6 or maybe el34 power tube, and a ??? rectifier tube since I don't see any solid state diodes in there. So it's probably a single-ended thing, I would spitball that it's related to the Fender Champ so probably somewhere in the 5 - 15 watt range. Looks like a single master volume knob + tone knob.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
This is probably a dumb question, but anybody here have any experience with Friedman amps?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

It looks like only one power tube to me? I can't see super well but it looks like a single 12a*7 preamp, a 6*6 or maybe el34 power tube, and a ??? rectifier tube since I don't see any solid state diodes in there. So it's probably a single-ended thing, I would spitball that it's related to the Fender Champ so probably somewhere in the 5 - 15 watt range. Looks like a single master volume knob + tone knob.

I couldn't tell if it was 2 power amp tubes or not to be honest, looks interesting whatever it is and I suspect it sounds awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Durandal1707 posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but anybody here have any experience with Friedman amps?
They sound great, but I don't know if I'd pay almost 3k (or more) for one head these days. Like, most heads that I still have (sold a bunch of heads and combos that never got any use when I semi-retired earlier this year) are mostly things that I bought off from people who thought the amps were toast. Hell, I have a Soldano SLO 100 that I got for like 500 bucks, all because the guy thought that the guts of the amp had fried themselves (a tube did, taking the tube socket with it, but the cost of replacing it was laughable compared to how much that loving head still costs, even used).

So, if you can afford it and like that "Marshall, but ballsier" sound, go right ahead.