Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ming can have a bit of difficulty projecting force into India even if they have numerical advantage (almost always) and tech parity (most of the time). I have to say I'm not entirely sure why. Like if you declare on some minor tributary there you'll soon get beaten up. For all that, they don't always succeed fighting Indian AI nations the way they invariably do against AI Manchus/Indochinese/central Asian nomads. The simplest explanation is just that any Indian nation fighting Ming will probably be bigger than any other nation Ming is likely to fight except Russia. Also, Ming don't get especially great military bonuses over the major Indian states, they're not super likely to pick strong military idea groups in my experience, and the straight routes from China to India go through low dev mountain and jungle provinces many of which can be easily choked off with forts. So my supposition is, especially if they have to divide their forces, they get really bogged down trying to break into India with the attrition and constantly getting sieges relieved with a terrain penalty, and have to waste a bunch of money on mercs to reinforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I dub the last two pages "ideas to make the game less fun because we're history nerds who don't realize this is a game and not a sim".

Also gently caress Ming, an other 30ish hour save lost to that lovely mechanic, for some reason they hate me enough that I can't even cheese this bullshit by becoming a tributary.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jabor posted:

just have a "split army by origin" button similar to how you have a button that splits mercs vs. regular troops

that helps sorting out which armies belong to their respective regions but this still sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tahirovic posted:

I dub the last two pages "ideas to make the game less fun because we're history nerds who don't realize this is a game and not a sim".

Also gently caress Ming, an other 30ish hour save lost to that lovely mechanic, for some reason they hate me enough that I can't even cheese this bullshit by becoming a tributary.

It might be a shocking realisation but being able to project force to any part of the globe after like 1500 makes the game a lot easier because the AI sure as gently caress doesn't do it. The same with being able to just conquer your way to world domination as long as you're faster than the AI.

The poo poo game mechanics exist because Johan likes his office MP games and that's the only context where these are actually acceptable from a game design perspective. It's not quite so bad since the AI aggression got increased a few patches ago, before then you could be the number 1 GP as virtually any start by about 1500 because no AIs would actually take any territory.

skasion posted:

Ming can have a bit of difficulty projecting force into India even if they have numerical advantage (almost always) and tech parity (most of the time). I have to say I'm not entirely sure why. Like if you declare on some minor tributary there you'll soon get beaten up. For all that, they don't always succeed fighting Indian AI nations the way they invariably do against AI Manchus/Indochinese/central Asian nomads. The simplest explanation is just that any Indian nation fighting Ming will probably be bigger than any other nation Ming is likely to fight except Russia. Also, Ming don't get especially great military bonuses over the major Indian states, they're not super likely to pick strong military idea groups in my experience, and the straight routes from China to India go through low dev mountain and jungle provinces many of which can be easily choked off with forts. So my supposition is, especially if they have to divide their forces, they get really bogged down trying to break into India with the attrition and constantly getting sieges relieved with a terrain penalty, and have to waste a bunch of money on mercs to reinforce.

India is loving rich, the combined development of the entire India region is a bit higher than Ming's starting development IIRC.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
While I'm down with the colonial troop idea I wonder how you could make it work in practice. If you do it by continent then if you're an Iberian you can't send your troops across Gibraltar and if you're in the Middle East you straddle three continents. At the same time, if you have a contiguous empire from the Balkans to India how do you determine Sepoy status? If you're Manchu and you invaded Europe the long way around do you get white colonials?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In a hypothetical EU5, I'd like to see a refinement of Stellaris' sector mechanic and HOI4's battle plan and production mechanics, where the farther away things get from your core land (as in your most important/fundamental provinces, not land that has cores), the less direct control you have over everything. To the point where with colonial or distant overseas territories you're more giving vague war goals and handling logistics and trusting the AI to handle the war for you. This means that as a player the game doesn't completely devolve into a micromanagey stomp and means that as your empire gets bigger you switch to a more macro game where you're building up your infrastructure to actually get troops and supplies to where you want to conquer. It also makes wars more asymmetric mechanically, where as a colonial power you're more trying to just grab land while focusing on important political and military matters at home whereas as a native fighting the indirectly controlled troops Portugal is shuffling around IS your micromanagement heavy war at home. The throughput and logistics issues also mean natives get more of a fighting chance in the beginning that becomes more insurmountable as technology improves and the colonial powers get more established. It also provides some incentives to be friendly with at least SOME of the natives because they could provide significant local infrastructure bonuses before the colonial powers are fully established due to knowing the land/how to farm local crops/etc. Makes you extend the political game to colonial areas where regional powers were very much played against each other historically, whereas now it's mostly just sweeping them up with tiny stacks that may as well be stacks of doom.

This could also provide incentives to play a small country who "builds tall" because you could focus on providing necessary infrastructure, logistics, and supply for larger nations, perhaps even being allowed to take direct control of some of their armies for them in overseas territories (sort of an abstraction of "we have a general on loan from Prussia").

Of course, I don't think you can make a world conquest interesting past a certain point without putting more effort into internal politics than I think is reasonable, but I think this way stops it from being QUITE so pause and micro heavy. It also serves as a soft-handicap to the player as an acknowledgement that the game simply can't beat a good player at the war game once they've reached a decent level of power (especially when expected to control hundreds of agents at once), and forcing the player to focus on how to tip the scales in providing support to two equally intelligent opponents (of course you can tweak how relatively smart the player and enemy AI is for difficulty balance). It may at least extend the window before that "I've won why am I even still playing this save" period hits.

(To be honest, this system could work just as well for CK3 with some tweaking to give some more hand-off feudalism "why are my vassals idiots?" flavor, with character stats informing how smart or dumb the AI is. It kiiiinda already does this when you allow your vassals to declare outside wars, but not to this degree).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 19, 2017

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Tbh I think any EU5 will happen on the day one of the devs figure out a more modular way to do trade + a way to shake up stability/coring or monarch points.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd love to see much more complexity and less direct involvement. Think MEIOU and Taxes with a helper and advisor AI.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The problem is entirely in the game's background as essentially a heavily iterated version of a game fairly similar to Risk, it's never had a hard break from its roots where you use your armies to conquer as much of the world as possible and that's what the game is actually about.

Compare to CK or Victoria where the game's scope is obviously different - roleplaying and dynastic intrigue in CK or global domination through harnessing economics and politics in Victoria, rather than just by conquering the most poo poo. Though both games will still let you reach near-invicibility through conquest.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd love to see much more complexity and less direct involvement. Think MEIOU and Taxes with a helper and advisor AI.

RabidWeasel posted:

The problem is entirely in the game's background as essentially a heavily iterated version of a game fairly similar to Risk, it's never had a hard break from its roots where you use your armies to conquer as much of the world as possible and that's what the game is actually about.

Compare to CK or Victoria where the game's scope is obviously different - roleplaying and dynastic intrigue in CK or global domination through harnessing economics and politics in Victoria, rather than just by conquering the most poo poo. Though both games will still let you reach near-invicibility through conquest.
Four words: First Person Grand Strategy. The game literally puts you in the shoes of a ruler, and you have to rely on your advisors, court, and family to give you the information you need to rule. Would really prevent EU5 from seeming like a stale rehash of EU4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I don't see how that's a problem at all. Yes, EU is about war; that's always been the primary focus, and that's good. That's what makes these games fun. Making the primary focus something other than war would be lame as hell. I don't want to play a renaissance politics simulator, I want to play a renaissance war game. This franchise has been about war and conquest from the start. Changing that now would be stupid as hell.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Four words: First Person Grand Strategy. The game literally puts you in the shoes of a ruler, and you have to rely on your advisors, court, and family to give you the information you need to rule. Would really prevent EU5 from seeming like a stale rehash of EU4.

That might make for an interesting game if executed correctly, but it would no longer be a Europa Universalis game. Perhaps they can take Crusader Kings further down that path instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 19, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Perhaps they can take Crusader Kings further down that path instead.

that would certainly make the risk of getting your character blinded properly fearsome

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

War and conquest are fun and good but when war and conquest is actually really simple and in general, "winning" is really simple as any superpower of the time, you need more stuff to do in peacetime and that stuff needs to be more interesting. More Vicky 2, less Risk.

RabidWeasel posted:

Exactly this. EU4 is a more intelligent cookie clicker. You conquer more territory to conquer more territory to conquer more territory. It's got such a wonderful feedback loop which makes that feel so fun, but it never gets out of feeling like that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm beginning to think that a lot of people in this thread actually want Vicky 3 and not EU5...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AnoHito posted:

I'm beginning to think that a lot of people in this thread actually want Vicky 3 and not EU5...
Bella 1: Vicky 3, but starts in 1474.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

AnoHito posted:

The closer any of these series get to Vicky the better considering that was Paradox at their best, but without the UI and general user experience benefits of the later games.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I don't see how that's a problem at all. Yes, EU is about war; that's always been the primary focus, and that's good. That's what makes these games fun. Making the primary focus something other than war would be lame as hell. I don't want to play a renaissance politics simulator, I want to play a renaissance war game. This franchise has been about war and conquest from the start. Changing that now would be stupid as hell.

This seems like a pretty poor line of argument unless you think that EU4 as it currently stands is in a perfect state of balance between "can war constantly for entire duration of game and never stop conquering" and having to spend decades between wars rebuilding your strength. The main distinguishing factor between EU4 and the next closest game I can think of in design (various TW games or some hypergrog games) is that it's less focused on warfare.

AnoHito posted:

EU is conceptually by far the least ambitious game that Paradox makes but it has had massively more development time over the years so it's still the most fun to play unless you're really into the RP aspect of CK2. If Wiz keeps up the good poo poo Stellaris will probably overtake it some time next year though. Unless V3 gets released before then, obviously!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AnoHito posted:

To answer this in a more wordy fashion, Paradox Grand Strategy games have two main planks; the period and the game play - and I suspect a lot of people find the EU period appealing because it's the period which set up the modern world. No matter how good any Vicky game is, it'll always be missing this sense of possibilities which characterizes the period in which EU is set. There's really no logical reason why a game set in the EU period couldn't at its heart be more like Vicky, it's mere happenstance that made it what it is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The problem is that the war aspect of it isn't actually all that much fun. Stitching an empire together and subduing your rivals over a long period feels good, but actually fighting wars remains mostly an exercise in who has more men to noria into a decisive battle, which is absolutely ridiculous. At the very least travel times should be increased and battle times decreased so that you can't have an army marching half way across Europe to fight in a months long battle. Warfare could also be made more interesting if there could be a way to break areas down into theatres with logistical concerns, and therefore you wouldn't be able to concentrate all of your guys into a few provinces for fighting one massive battle. This would go a long way to limiting a large empire's ability to project overwhelming force against their smaller neighbours as well (Ming, I'm looking in your direction).

That and a better internal political system would really differentiate an EU5, but we can't have that because Johan doesn't want it, so let's at least change up the central war-fighting aspect.

Furthermore, the map projection must be fixed. :cato:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 19, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

The problem is that the war aspect of it isn't actually all that much fun. Stitching an empire together and subduing your rivals over a long period feels good, but actually fighting wars remains mostly an exercise in who has more men to noria into a decisive battle, which is absolutely ridiculous. At the very least travel times should be increased and battle times decreased so that you can't have an army marching half way across Europe to fight in a months long battle. Warfare could also be made more interesting if there could be a way to break areas down into theatres with logistical concerns, and therefore you wouldn't be able to concentrate all of your guys into a few provinces for fighting one massive battle. This would go a long way to limiting a large empire's ability to project overwhelming force against their smaller neighbours as well (Ming, I'm looking in your direction).

That and a better internal political system would really differentiate an EU5, but we can't have that because Johan doesn't want it, so let's at least change up the central war-fighting aspect.

This sums up my thoughts well. You should have to mobilize an army for a campaign against an area, like a country or a State and the surrounding states. The AI marching or sailing troops to the far side of an opponent's country is absolutely nuts and annoying as gently caress to deal with as the player. The AI marching armies across entire continents to join ongoing battles is stupendously stupid and needs to not be a thing in EU5.

I love EU4 and play it as often as I can with my limited playtime, but there are a few egregious aspects to it that are legacies of, essentially, EU1, that have never been modernized or fixed.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I still remember warfare in the early years before forts blocked movement and boy those were some dark loving times

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I still remember warfare in the early years before forts blocked movement and boy those were some dark loving times

I would declare war on this four province country with no army, but I just don't know if I want to be at war for the next decade or so.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I'd go further and say the map, in the largest sense, needs to be more accurate. A consistent map projection with distance calculations that matches the real world (which is super simple math) is an obvious quick fix, since it basically doesn't require actual rebalancing, but I'd really like to see the map have a lot more historical fidelity. As opposed to now where handicaps are essentially baked in, with certain regions (India/China) being far less developed than they were historically and others (Sweden) quite a bit more. Having to balance the fact that Ming (or a large Indian empire) would now have united Europe-like development, through the actual mechanics of the game, would also essentially force Paradox to deal with the issue of snowballing.

Dynamic development growth, perhaps tied into an Institutions-like system, would be the crown jewel on that - giving the player a much greater sense of accomplishment as they see the mud and dirt of their starting provinces turned into the metropole of a mighty empire. The Institutions system is actually a really good inspiration here I feel, being pretty transparent about how it functions, somewhat guided but still malleable, influenced by player actions but not to the point where you feel you have to babysit it; aside from brute-forcing an institution you're mostly playing as you would otherwise, with a few different priorities perhaps if you want to ensure that an institution spreads to your territory.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Yeah, the forts system is real good.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Eej posted:

While I'm down with the colonial troop idea I wonder how you could make it work in practice. If you do it by continent then if you're an Iberian you can't send your troops across Gibraltar and if you're in the Middle East you straddle three continents. At the same time, if you have a contiguous empire from the Balkans to India how do you determine Sepoy status? If you're Manchu and you invaded Europe the long way around do you get white colonials?

You can limit force projection with two easy rules:

1. Armies have a scaling maintenance cost multiplier based on distance from your capital, which is reduced by the amount of trade power you have in the trade zone they are located. (Raw trade power, not percentage. Two highly developed nations splitting a trade node shouldn't have 50% increased costs) This represents the costs of supplying troops far away from your base of operations, as well as giving developed colonial regions a way to reduce that cost. You could also allow you to count trade power from countries that give you fleet basing rights to represent logistical support from your allies.
2. Development and technology gives you a secondary force limit which is exempt from these extra maintenance costs, starting with your most expensive troops and working down. This gives the player some leeway when it comes to that initial colonization period, allowing small garrisons to be maintained indefinitely, and makes large invasions expensive until you've established a cored foothold. In addition, this provides a hard number for the AI logic to base decisions on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AnoHito posted:

I would declare war on this four province country with no army, but I just don't know if I want to be at war for the next decade or so.

It's a loving 80% chance, it has to proc at some point, but nope three years later and my good old boys are still trying to siege down the Faroe Islands.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

It's a loving 80% chance, it has to proc at some point, but nope three years later and my good old boys are still trying to siege down the Faroe Islands.

This is still in the game, the AI loves to build high level forts on Fiji and Christmas Island

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Yashichi posted:

This is still in the game, the AI loves to build high level forts

Fixed that for you.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Burgundy's really fun, guys.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eej posted:

It suddenly occurs to me that we've just re-invented overseas coring.

Anyway, something happened in my game that struck me as unusual--I'd never seen an AI behave that way before in that game. Tabarestan won a war with Persia and instead of taking a bunch of territory...They divided Persia's territory into four or so pieces, like a player might. Made a big, neat x by returning a mix of Timurid and Khorasan cores. Just the strangest thing I'd ever seen an AI do--act smart by accident.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
A common complaint seems to be that battles last too long. The days per phase (default 3) is in defines, so would anything break if you were to mod the days per phase to be 2 or even 1? That would drastically cut down on battle length while leaving all other numbers intact.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Looks like my evangelical unit pack isn't working, any idea how to fix it? DLC is downloaded and enabled but France, England, Spain, ect are all using the same tier 2 infantry/cannon model.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Kaza42 posted:

A common complaint seems to be that battles last too long. The days per phase (default 3) is in defines, so would anything break if you were to mod the days per phase to be 2 or even 1? That would drastically cut down on battle length while leaving all other numbers intact.

You should consider that battles that take 1/3rd of the normal time will also be much harder to send reinforcements into.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dance Officer posted:

You should consider that battles that take 1/3rd of the normal time will also be much harder to send reinforcements into.
Thats the point. Name any battle in History in the EU timeframe: No, reinforcements did not march from anywhere but a maybe a few miles away to join the battle, because the battles did not last weeks and there was no all-knowing person or AI controlling the movement of other armies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 20, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats the point. Name any battle in History: No, reinforcements did not march from anywhere but a maybe a few miles away to join the battle.
Historical reinforcements that come to mind are the Prussians at Waterloo, which is probably one of the more famous ones, but they still arrived within 5 hours of the battle getting started.

More generally, what about armies delaying joining battle and avoiding the enemy because reinforcements are on the way? Without of course running so far that they'd count as being in another province entirely. I think that could fall under what a battle is in EU4, though it seems doubtful that it'd change the conclusion. Like, maybe battles taking a few days could be justified by that?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The main issue with EU4 battles is that the scale is not conducive to the scale of the battles fought in the timeperiod. Having strict "provinces" really limits the game and I hope they use a Stellaris style system for EU5 whereby you can move around within provinces and positioning mattered a lot more and combat width wasn't just some stat, it was a visible thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I too want a realtime map of literally the entire loving world

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I like the battles and combat system in this game a lot. Not saying there aren't improvements to be made, and maybe a slight quickening of battles would be among them, but I think completely removing the ability to reinforce in the name of "realism" would be a really bad thing.

My #1 wish for combat is to get the AI to understand attrition properly, so we can have it be a real thing again rather than being capped at 5% as the maximum.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 20, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

StashAugustine posted:

I too want a realtime map of literally the entire loving world

Yeah that's not gonna happen for a long while yet. Probably be almost as much of a nightmare to run as it would be to program.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone know what the capstone abilities of Religious and Nobility idea groups actually means (the +10% to estate happiness)? Because I finished out Nobility and my Noble Estate is still regressing to 50, not 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's 10% faster recovery per month

• Locked thread