Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

codo27 posted:

10 loving years ago in 2007 I bought a Creative Labs Zen mp3 player that had 30gb of storage. Anything less than 100gb shouldn't be allowed to be sold today unless it's under $200. My friend has a loving 8gb Moto and she can't even update her apps. Gf constantly having to juggle poo poo on her 16gb iPhone 6S! I mean that's not an old phone. And they want drat near 1000 bucks for a flagship in Canada. More for an S8 or iShit 7. You needn't tell me it's not feasible to jam at least 128gb into any phone worthwhile when the fuckin thing costs $500+
Man I fuckin hate phones so much

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello. I am looking to get a new upgrade for my phone. What phone do you recommend I buy? Please also explain the best features of the phone you recommend me. Thanks

Moto G5+ = good all rounder, decent price
Pixel = great all rounder, excellent camera and responsiveness, expensive

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 19, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

codo27 posted:

Laugh all you want but Windows phone was the only good mobile OS I've ever used except for the lack of apps which I was fine with til snapchat disallowed third party apps (never was an official one available). But it was infinitely smoother and more stable than Android and iOS and I really liked how it was lightyears ahead of them in hands free control. I could easily read texts out loud in the car and dictate responses with no physical input at all which I still can't do with Android, and that's just bonkers. Partly the fault of my Honda too which leaves a lot to be desired in that regard. They have a big hard on for Apple but I have gently caress all functionality with anything else and the drat car is a '15.

Sony doesn't get any regard either but the Z3 compact I had was one of, if not the smoothest experience I've had on Android. But at this point I'm only still with Android because the only other option is far worse. Be nice if Google could hire someone who could create a menu interface that isn't hot garbage visually, or just give us drat control at least over the colors. Yes yes launchers launchers but you shouldn't need them, nor to do stuff like change the grid layout of your home screen.

I'm a power user and all my computers are reflective of that but there's no power user option for phones. Go buy whatever flagship you want and it will still stutter more often than it should but that's the price you pay for being able to actually do things unlike on iOS.

codo27 posted:

10 loving years ago in 2007 I bought a Creative Labs Zen mp3 player that had 30gb of storage. Anything less than 100gb shouldn't be allowed to be sold today unless it's under $200. My friend has a loving 8gb Moto and she can't even update her apps. Gf constantly having to juggle poo poo on her 16gb iPhone 6S! I mean that's not an old phone. And they want drat near 1000 bucks for a flagship in Canada. More for an S8 or iShit 7. You needn't tell me it's not feasible to jam at least 128gb into any phone worthwhile when the fuckin thing costs $500+
Man I fuckin hate phones so much

lol goddamn. Tell us more. Fan of SD cards?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is managing SD card storage really that difficult? I'd think it shouldn't be that difficult to keep media on the SD card and apps on the internal storage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Incessant Excess posted:

Yeah, basically this. As of this moment pretty much any recommendation that gets thrown around is going to boil down to these two and the separating factor being your budget. Pretty much any other Android phone comes with huge red flags or is straight up inferior to the above two.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is managing SD card storage really that difficult? I'd think it shouldn't be that difficult to keep media on the SD card and apps on the internal storage.

It's a bit stupid, due to a combination of permission changes and a push to keep the user from dealing with files. It's quite obtuse to manage data on a device's filesystem at times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You don't need to screw with filesystem.

Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video all allow you to save offline playback to SD card with a simple setting change in app.

That's neither a pro or con for SD cards, it's just a statement of fact.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Incessant Excess posted:

CLAM DOWN, your new thread OP has been wrote for you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video all allow you to save offline playback to SD card with a simple setting change in app.

yeah but does crunchyroll~
:nyoron:

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I know its of limited interest to this thread but it looks like LG is offering to extend the warranty on the G6 to two years for registered owners.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

You could be covered for not one but two bootloops!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

You can move a lot of apps entirely to the SD card. Not all, and some will lose features if you choose to. Just look at application info and storage to see if you can move it.

AppMgr Pro III will let you know what you can safely move to the card. Like if you have 16GB and still want to have Planescape Torment Edition, TWoM and The Room Three installed on your cheap rear end phone.

Android will not let apps on the card have certain permissions so don't move phone.apk or w/e obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I was using my backup phone (8GB onboard storage, lol), I moved Awful and Feedly to the card. Whenever I rebooted (due to installing a bunch of past updates), it would remove both those apps from the home screen. Dunno if it was Android or lovely Samsung mods or what, but it was super annoying.

If I didn't move my apps, the photo gallery would fail to open due to space issues. I'm assuming it was trying to create thumbnails.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HMD Global's CEO just abruptly left. That may mean there's trouble ahead for Nokias re-launch.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

syscall girl posted:

You can move a lot of apps entirely to the SD card.

This is in itself annoying. Even then it doesn't guarantee that it doesn't stop using the main storage for its cache. Or that it cleans its poo poo out when you delete it, which applies in any case. This idea that you shouldn't janitor your device is nice, but it should have been applying to desktop computers since forever, but it turns out you still have to because there isn't a single, unified way of doing things which everyone follows.

But if you start out with healthy sized built in storage, leave all the apps on it, but use the SD card for photos (change in camera app) and media (if you like me still enjoy that warm sound of physical MP3 files), your storage budget will look a lot better for minimal effort.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's a bit stupid, due to a combination of permission changes and a push to keep the user from dealing with files. It's quite obtuse to manage data on a device's filesystem at times.

You're telling me about obtuse to manage data. I was having a lot of trouble getting some stuff off of my old phone, so I tried getting it through Windows. Every drat thing was hidden and I couldn't get it unhidden.

It's probably possible, but I just have no experience with Android. It's like the opposite of Linux as far as letting you do poo poo goes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ola posted:

But if you start out with healthy sized built in storage, leave all the apps on it, but use the SD card for photos (change in camera app) and media (if you like me still enjoy that warm sound of physical MP3 files), your storage budget will look a lot better for minimal effort.

That's all I do. My SD card is where my photos, MP3s and videos live, and life is good and simple.

Google wants me to live in a fantasy land of unlimited mobile data but I'm not there yet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I think I'm finally ready to ditch my old GSIII since my OG Turbo bit the dust a while back.

What phones should I be considering if I really only care about battery life and security updates. But mostly battery life.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Pixel XL

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

If that's the case, I may as well hold out a couple more months until there are concrete details on its follow up, right? I've made it this far I suppose.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Probably not. Just go ahead and get one now because if the Pixel 2 goes anything like the first, it'll be on back order well into next year. Google also has a real good track record of supporting old phones vs someone like Motorola who generally supports a phone for about 1-2 years, or OnePlus who support a phone until the next model comes out 4-6 months later.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DeathSandwich posted:

Probably not. Just go ahead and get one now because if the Pixel 2 goes anything like the first, it'll be on back order well into next year.
Or just order it right when it becomes available? I've gotten Nexuses 4, 5, 6P and a Pixel XL at launch this way with no trouble.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

This is in itself annoying. Even then it doesn't guarantee that it doesn't stop using the main storage for its cache. Or that it cleans its poo poo out when you delete it, which applies in any case. This idea that you shouldn't janitor your device is nice, but it should have been applying to desktop computers since forever, but it turns out you still have to because there isn't a single, unified way of doing things which everyone follows.

I'm not saying that the status quo is right but my free phone + a 128gb SD card means I can have all my music and photos and shove some of the larger games (which I never play but w/e) onto it.

My friend kind of chuckled when I said I bought that card and that his was 128 from the get go, which is nice and convenient but I make do with what I have.

And like I said, AppMgr III is a convenient way of finding out what apps you can get off of built-in without too much hassle.

I stopped janitoring my phone a while ago but got it to the point where my needs are met and cost me nothing (but time)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

butt dickus posted:

Or just order it right when it becomes available? I've gotten Nexuses 4, 5, 6P and a Pixel XL at launch this way with no trouble.

This is basically the only way, I ordered mine before the release livestream ended and still ended up with a 10/24 delivery date. I mean that isn't a complaint since I wasn't in a big rush but you're basically looking at weeks of backorders unless you order on day one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Incessant Excess posted:

You could be covered for not one but two bootloops!

My soul is prepared. :madmax:

(it arrived today, I'll open it after work)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Apparently The Verge feels strongly about Bixby:

The Verge posted:

I can’t help but feel like Bixby is just another riff on S Voice, Samsung’s first voice-controlled digital assistant. It may have a few more tricks up its sleeve, but it’s just as slow, buggy, and useless as S Voice, which means it will be used just as infrequently. If Samsung is as committed to Bixby as it claims, it will continue to improve it and make it better, but even if it does, that will probably be too late, as studies have shown that people tend to stop using voice assistants when they don’t do what they want.

In the case of Bixby, it appears that some things are better never than late.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/19/15998258/samsung-bixby-voice-galaxy-s8-review

They even went so far as to call Bixby physical bloat due to the unremappable hardware button. Sarnsung'd again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Verge isn't wrong.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I'm not saying that the status quo is right but my free phone + a 128gb SD card means I can have all my music and photos and shove some of the larger games (which I never play but w/e) onto it.

My friend kind of chuckled when I said I bought that card and that his was 128 from the get go, which is nice and convenient but I make do with what I have.

And like I said, AppMgr III is a convenient way of finding out what apps you can get off of built-in without too much hassle.

I stopped janitoring my phone a while ago but got it to the point where my needs are met and cost me nothing (but time)

Also that phone that started at 128gb is going to cost an extra $150-200 to replace, and so is the next one, and that SD card will still be there, still at a total of ~$45.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also that phone that started at 128gb is going to cost an extra $150-200 to replace, and so is the next one, and that SD card will still be there, still at a total of ~$45.

It costs $100 to go from 32 to 128 GB with a Pixel. Anyway, phones with more storage will sell for more used. Swappa has 32 GB Nexus 6p for $250-260, 128 GB for $330-340. New, the price difference was $150.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Verge isn't wrong.

One of the only times this can be said accurately.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And when the SD card dies and takes all your data with it, well, that is priceless.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A) phones die too
B) make backups of your poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This LG G6 has more menus than a Japanese SRPG, and more tutorial pop ups than a Far Cry title.

Also, no GBoard by default, even though integrated gif search is the greatest feature to ever be added to smartphones.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I've never used more than 16gb of storage on a phone ama

The cloud is actually good and can store whatever crap you have. Photos, music, videos, audio books, random files.

It's faster and easier to access it that way than keeping that data on your file system. Even on my desktop I don't store important files, just programs and games and crap like that. All instantly replaceable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Peachfart posted:

And when the SD card dies and takes all your data with it, well, that is priceless.

Good call.

Guess I could do something to circumvent that problem. Or not.

Do you have any exciting opinions about SSDs to share with the group?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good replacement for GBoard? Swyping on it is horrifically inaccurate, and its suggestions are poor too. It wasn't always this way, but it's been getting worse for months and I can hardly stand it.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Good call.

SSDs are orders of magnitude more reliable than SD cards, and most things with an SSD can have a real backup solution, unlike Android phones.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

syscall girl posted:

Good call.

Other people's computers are good, friend. Love the cloud. Embrace the cloud.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

PerrineClostermann posted:

What's a good replacement for GBoard? Swyping on it is horrifically inaccurate, and its suggestions are poor too. It wasn't always this way, but it's been getting worse for months and I can hardly stand it.

Honestly, probably Swype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Taffer posted:

I've never used more than 16gb of storage on a phone ama

The cloud is actually good and can store whatever crap you have. Photos, music, videos, audio books, random files.

It's faster and easier to access it that way than keeping that data on your file system. Even on my desktop I don't store important files, just programs and games and crap like that. All instantly replaceable.

I like keeping music on my actual phone so I'm not using data and can listen even if I'm going way out in the boonies. If you live somewhere with unlimited reliable 4g data wherever you need to go, that's not as much of an issue.

My 16gb phone isn't full, but I've culled a few big apps I never use, and I'm not a ~*power user*~. I would still like to get an SD card just so I can stick more music on it.

IuniusBrutus posted:

SSDs are orders of magnitude more reliable than SD cards, and most things with an SSD can have a real backup solution, unlike Android phones.

Pretend I posted a picture of my laptop's SD card slot.