Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm a leftist who agrees with gun control but this rhetoric is loving insufferable fyi, and will never lead to any worthwhile discussion in this country.

People in this country being nuts doesn't make pathological weapon collecting sane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Owning guns as a hobby is fine but considering how poor many peoples' gun safety is, collecting a bunch of stuff that your young children can use to kill you or themselves is not always the best idea

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's not wrong.

He is explicitly wrong in every way and it demeans both people with mental illness and people with harmless collection hobbies. You can call it "obessive" or "annoying" or "cloying," depending on the collection, but it is not a mental illness, HTH

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I have yet to meet any gun owner who didn't have secret (or not so secret) fantasies of getting into an armed confrontation with the federal government.

I could not say the same thing about people who are into, say, archery.

I can say that for my maternal grandfather and I'd say... at least one of my uncles, probably both, because they just don't give a poo poo. Now the cousins on that side...

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm a leftist who agrees with gun control but this rhetoric is loving insufferable fyi, and will never lead to any worthwhile discussion in this country.

yeah cause your country is loving broken, doesn't make the truth any less true

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Bicyclops posted:

Like I literally have OCD and have had to work extremely hard not become a hoarder. It's not the same as your friend's guitar collection (especially since guitars all have different sounds and feels) or your friend who plays a trading card game. Don't call hobbies mental illness just because you don't understand them.

I said closer to. A hobby usually involves the application of whatever thing you're collecting in some form. Plenty of collectors just keep these objects in a sealed off environment and don't actually do anything with them except bask in whatever emotional satisfaction material possession brings them. I'm completely aware, as a person who unfortunately currently lives with hoarders, that there is a difference in how collecting affects one's function vs hoarding.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
Shooting is a hobby. Buying things isn't. Reading is a hobby, hoarding dead trees is not.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't have a problem with people collecting guns; I have a problem with people stockpiling guns. There's about an inch of daylight between the two, but it's significant.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Don't post poo poo like this, tia

Add "guns" into the sentence and it's perfectly accurate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Casey Finnigan posted:

Owning guns as a hobby is fine but considering how poor many peoples' gun safety is, collecting a bunch of stuff that your young children can use to kill you or themselves is not always the best idea

see this is the hosed up part, collecting guns is fine but if i collect pain meds and other prescription opiates as part of my deep interest in the history of pharmaceuticals suddenly i'm the bad guy and my nephews are banned from my house

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

I said closer to.

Maybe just don't use the term at all. I don't care if they're putting stuff under museum glass to the detriment of their budget, maladaptive obsessive behavior has a term: "maladaptive obsessive behavior."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Nevvy Z posted:

Shooting is a hobby. Buying things isn't. Reading is a hobby, hoarding dead trees is not.

Tell that to my ex.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Lemming posted:

People in this country being nuts doesn't make pathological weapon collecting sane

I never said or defended 'pathological gun collecting', I was referencing the millions of people that have a handful of guns. There is a clear difference between a guy with an over and under for trap shooting, a dedicated turkey shotgun, a .22 for small game and a 308 for larger animals and a dude with an arsenal of 20 ARs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just bought 3 more aduinos because I needed a trinket and if I'm buying one I might as well buy both kinds and if I'm buying from adafruit I might as well get the circuit playground express and let me explain how these are different from the mega and two unos I already have.

Buying (or wishing you could buy for expensive hobbies) a bunch of something that seem the same but are actually totally different you see isn't some gun specific thing and is true across enthusiasts on pretty much every thing that has ever existed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nut litmus test: do you have aspirations of teaching your ten year old how to handle a MP5.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just bought 3 more aduinos because I needed a trinket and if I'm buying one I might as well buy both kinds and if I'm buying from adafruit I might as well get the circuit playground express and let me explain how these are different from the mega and two unos I already have.

Buying (or wishing you could buy for expensive hobbies) a bunch of something that seem the same but are actually totally different you see isn't some gun specific thing and is true across enthusiasts on pretty much every thing that has ever existed.

Excuse me sir guns kill people though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

It's gonna be a cold winter, bro.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

I work in the corporate office of an oil company in an affluent part of a large city in Texas. A few months ago 6 F-150s in the company parking lot were broken into at once, resulting in 7 guns being stolen. Texas.

its weird when people in cities do this but this is normal for people living in a rural area. My family members always had rifles and shotguns in the back of their trucks. You drive out to the farm, check the water to make sure the pump is working, make sure they haven't busted the fence and are eating the wheat next field over, then spend 30 minutes at the pond near by hunting dove/deer/turkey/whatever the gently caress is in season.

Also its normal for rural people to have a multiple guns. A combination of .22/shotgun/lever action rifle behind the truck seat, few shotguns at home, an older revolver you inherited, and a few hunting shotguns in different gauges at home isn't uncommon. Also gun design hasn't had any design changes since the early 1900s so old guns that you inherit are perfectly fine for most hunting applications. As such gun collections just tend to accumulate as they get inherited and passed down generations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

they just want the free kfc, sprite and coke

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Going to point out that this conversation was started by a race-baiting NRA commercial. Collectors are buying guns to have them, the issue is the people buying them because they think hordes of black people are trying to kill whites.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

PneumonicBook posted:

Excuse me sir guns kill people though.

Sure, but it doesn't mean "enthusiasts keep on buying them when they already have one!!" is some mystery no normie could ever understand.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TBH I'd feel safer living with someone who collected a ton of guns with absolutely no intention of ever using one, sealed up in a closet somewhere, than living with someone who leaves baseball bats around the house with the intention of using them in self-defense in the event of a break-in.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"Why would people keep buying guns!" is such a weird question. Do you people not have hobbies or interests? Take the concept of what a gun is out of it and name a thing you like to do. Aren't you always either buying new stuff for the hobby or wishing you could?

Like there is infinity stuff wrong with the gun industry but don't act like it's some alien thing no one could understand, it's how literally every interest or hobby works. If you like fishing you obsess about getting the best fishing gear, if you like electronics you want that weird new 2 dollar radar motion sensor for your projects, if you like guns there is always a next gun because you have a close range high rate of fire and a mid range low rate of fire and a high range high rate of fire but no mid range high rate of fire gun. Even if you like old stuff like coin collecting you want to collect all the coins in some set or other.

I like rock climbing and running races - other than gym expenses, race fees, and replacing old shoes, I'm not collecting poo poo for my hobby.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If someone has a M249 "just in case" then there are problems.
Don't judge. Some weird people love to have the ability to mow down dozens at a time.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Nevvy Z posted:

Tell that to people who do extreme couponing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AnoHito posted:

It's really funny since most people itt probably have like a hundred games on steam that they haven't even played and probably never will.

Which don't take up space, need maintaining, or risk killing someone if stolen. Plus, when you buy a gun you generally don't get 10 other guns free in a bundle. And Steam games generally cost $1-$20 rather than hundreds.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

botany posted:

"shooting guns" being a hobby is pretty loving ridiculous to most normal people, hth

As a hobby, it's pretty normal? It's no weirder than 4 wheeling or cross country skiiing or HAM radio or whatever. I've shot lots of guns, it's pretty fun.

The problems with guns are the things about it outside of it being a hobby.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cochise posted:

Don't judge. Some weird people love to have the ability to mow down dozens at a time.

Personally I think that "preschoolers" should be the new unit of ammo capacity.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

see this is the hosed up part, collecting guns is fine but if i collect pain meds and other prescription opiates as part of my deep interest in the history of pharmaceuticals suddenly i'm the bad guy and my nephews are banned from my house

Man, me too. I'm not a cocaine addict, I just like the way it smells! :mad:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

people definitely spend way too much time online to the point that in some cases people get irl and online social norms confused (remember the alt right idiot who got bounced from a protest for wanting to make his memes a central focus) and there will be some kind of backlash against this in the next generation as it becomes cool for teens to go without smartphones

loving lmao are you still on about the smartphones, old man?

:corsair:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

botany posted:

yeah cause your country is loving broken, doesn't make the truth any less true

To affect change you need to work within the accepted framework. The far lefts 'ban them all forever' is a non starter. There are legitimate effective ways the country could start handling it's gun problem but when both sides are too busy screaming at each other like it's Facebook it will never happen.

I suppose now with how partisan all politics are we've probably lost that chance, nationally at least. Local laws can only do so much when you've got red states sitting next to blue states.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

boner confessor posted:

Yeah, I collect anti-personnel mines and like to practice setting them up to create maximum injury and setting them off on weekends and suddenly I'm the weirdo. I mean I only keep a couple of them in my house at any given time, its not like I'm hoarding them, it's just a hobby.

(not really)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I realize that you want to be mad at the weirdos who knock over children to complete their Amiibo collections or who spent 1000s of dollars on pointless hobbyist equipment like they're Niles Crane in that episode where he goes camping, but getting stuff, cataloging stuff for display, and keeping track of it is, indeed, a hobby. I realize I have an OCD lizard brain here, but I think periodically organizing the seaglass I have collected definitely falls in the hobby category (I find it on my own, but it would even if I were buying it).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Going to point out that this conversation was started by a race-baiting NRA commercial. Collectors are buying guns to have them, the issue is the people buying them because they think hordes of black people are trying to kill whites.

Nah the issue is that people aren't buying them, so the NRA has to stoke those fears.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Malachi Constant posted:

Yeah, I collect anti-personnel mines and like to practice setting them up to create maximum injury and setting them off on weekends and suddenly I'm the weirdo. I mean I only keep a couple of them in my house at any given time, its not like I'm hoarding them, it's just a hobby.

(not really)

Somewhere a suit grunts and jots down a line in his file marked D&D.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BarbarianElephant posted:

Plus, when you buy a gun you generally don't get 10 other guns free in a bundle.

You sure about that one?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Nah the issue is that people aren't buying them, so the NRA has to stoke those fears.

My point is that a person who is collecting them is going to have a consistent number of purchases. It's the preppers that are going to be enticed to buy more guns by race-baiting commercials.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My point is that a person who is collecting them is going to have a consistent number of purchases. It's the preppers that are going to be enticed to buy more guns by race-baiting commercials.

and how do you know magic the gathering cards aren't also sold under the premise that they will be useful to confuse the dusky hordes who appear on your doorstep when rahowa comes, hm?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/887769366649090048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"Why would people keep buying guns!" is such a weird question. Do you people not have hobbies or interests? Take the concept of what a gun is out of it and name a thing you like to do. Aren't you always either buying new stuff for the hobby or wishing you could?

Like there is infinity stuff wrong with the gun industry but don't act like it's some alien thing no one could understand, it's how literally every interest or hobby works. If you like fishing you obsess about getting the best fishing gear, if you like electronics you want that weird new 2 dollar radar motion sensor for your projects, if you like guns there is always a next gun because you have a close range high rate of fire and a mid range low rate of fire and a high range high rate of fire but no mid range high rate of fire gun. Even if you like old stuff like coin collecting you want to collect all the coins in some set or other.

Buying anime figurines is a tiny hobby not 10 million people and also the primary purpose of owning a pistol or AR15 is killing people. Collecting anime figurines are just killing yourself, and your soul.

• Locked thread