Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
You guys should try to do a NG+ no teleport-high score run of the main game. From Lothric to... well lothric you can play through most of the game without teleportation. You wont be completing any questlines, but it's a fun way to play the game and the level design really shines. The high score part is how many souls you get to keep by the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Spear of the Church is my new favorite boss fight. Having another player be the boss was a nice touch. It may be against e-bushido to chug estus (not that I have ever cared, personally), but that player gets two very annoying painting guardians for backup so fair's fair.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Panty Saluter posted:

gotta pump END and STR if you wanna roll

Dark Souls is a simulator

You've got to pay the roll toll if you want to get at that dark's hole.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I hosed up and accidentally gave Irina one of the Deep tomes. Is she ok as long as I don't buy any dark miracles, or should I bash her head in now?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you don't buy the dark miracles, she will be fine. You can even get the dark tome back to give to Karla, if you buy all the holy miracles to turn Irina into a firekeeper.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of un-loving potential fuckups, I just learned that you get the mound-makers covenant item from killing Hodrick with Sirris, in case you happened to kill him via collapsing ceiling before you were able to. So you're technically not locked out of the mound-makers unless you screw up both opportunities.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I couldn't seem to get Heysel to spawn in Crucifixion Woods. I was embered and neither the Sage nor Legion were killed. Ran all around the swamp near the lit up tree and where the Watchdogs are but no luck. Any ideas? I was playing in offline mode cuz the internet dropped out last night but I though NPC invasions happened regardless.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah for some reason you have to be online for that one. The others work offline.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I get it just fine when I'm offline, did you try running around near where the basilisks are? She always spawns for me when I'm going up the hill to the last smokestack (near where the hoppy ghru standing facing away from you is).

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I get it just fine when I'm offline, did you try running around near where the basilisks are? She always spawns for me when I'm going up the hill to the last smokestack (near where the hoppy ghru standing facing away from you is).

That's the Farron Keep invasion. I haven't gone there yet because I didn't want to advance until I got Heysel in Crux Woods.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Carl Seitan posted:

I couldn't seem to get Heysel to spawn in Crucifixion Woods. I was embered and neither the Sage nor Legion were killed. Ran all around the swamp near the lit up tree and where the Watchdogs are but no luck. Any ideas? I was playing in offline mode cuz the internet dropped out last night but I though NPC invasions happened regardless.

i always have her invade when i've just come down that big hill at the beginning and enter the water.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Carl Seitan posted:

That's the Farron Keep invasion. I haven't gone there yet because I didn't want to advance until I got Heysel in Crux Woods.

Oh, oops I read that wrong. I haven't had problems with her invading there either, I always get her either over near where the Grass Crest Shield is or right in the swamp next to the Fallen Knight set.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/tdDaz/status/887794840443990016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is it wrong that I struggled more with Soul of Cinder than I did with Midir & Gael? Either way I finished both DLCs and wrapped up the main storyline. Is there really a point to NG+ aside from tougher PvE/refreshed item spawns?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Well, it allows you to explore alternate story branches or complete any failed NPC questlines. They also add upgraded rings (but unless you're a niche case, you probably got a +3 for the most desirable ones in Ringed City so that's mostly moot), with NG+ offering +1 and NG+2 offering +2.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah its more and harder content. I never bothered in Souls but I am close to the NG+7 limit in Bloodborne, its a very short game really.

NG+ is more of what you like if you want it basically, trophies aside.

Edit: well not more...just maybe slightly different but hopefully fulfilling

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can anyone give me an idea on how I could go about making a battle mage type character? Maybe with decent dex and attunement so I can wear light/medium armour and imbue my weapons with wacky elemental powers? Is that even a thing?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
As I DEUS VULT my way around Lothric this time, what build should I use to maximize DEUS VULTing? I have the LKGS, and the bare minimum STR/DEX to use it, but where do I go from there?

Remember, MAXIMUM DEUS VULTing is a must.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Uncle w Benefits posted:

As I DEUS VULT my way around Lothric this time, what build should I use to maximize DEUS VULTing? I have the LKGS, and the bare minimum STR/DEX to use it, but where do I go from there?

Remember, MAXIMUM DEUS VULTing is a must.

i win the most with my LKGS character: 40 vig, 40 end, 66 str, 16 dex, everything else in vit for big boy poise attacks from which set of knighty armor you like the most. it's fun as gently caress

edit: don't forget that despite it having innate lightning, you can still rub a resin on the LKGS

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Can anyone give me an idea on how I could go about making a battle mage type character? Maybe with decent dex and attunement so I can wear light/medium armour and imbue my weapons with wacky elemental powers? Is that even a thing?

Dex/int is so much of a thing it's one of the starting classes, the assassin. It's a good start, I like it better than sorcerer for building into a caster because you start able to use decent weapons and starts with Spook which is one of the more useful spells, but it's also fine for a hybrid build. You will probably want to go very high dex and make a sharp/refined weapon and buff it with magic weapon; while you can make crystal weapons (int scaling magic infusion) pretty early on they won't usually outdamage this. Probably don't get too much attunement unless you want to focus on damage casting, those are the big FP hogs, most of the utility spells are pretty cheap.

e: another decent start would be pyromancer, you can pick up very strong attack spells by mid game for limited stat investment and wield the deep battle axe in High Wall as soon as you find it which is quite good early on.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 20, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

skasion posted:

Dex/int is so much of a thing it's one of the starting classes, the assassin. It's a good start, I like it better than sorcerer for building into a caster because you start able to use decent weapons and starts with Spook which is one of the more useful spells, but it's also fine for a hybrid build. You will probably want to go very high dex and make a sharp/refined weapon and buff it with magic weapon; while you can make crystal weapons (int scaling magic infusion) pretty early on they won't usually outdamage this. Probably don't get too much attunement unless you want to focus on damage casting, those are the big FP hogs, most of the utility spells are pretty cheap.

Awesome, this sounds exactly like what I want to play since I'm a big smasher right now. Just a nimble dude with sparkly weapon buffs. What is a good dex weapon to go with? Just a straight sword and buff up as I want to, or are the more tricky two hand options worth investigating?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

JBP posted:

Awesome, this sounds exactly like what I want to play since I'm a big smasher right now. Just a nimble dude with sparkly weapon buffs. What is a good dex weapon to go with? Just a straight sword and buff up as I want to, or are the more tricky two hand options worth investigating?

lothric knight straight sword is dex based and has the longest reach iirc. the crow quills are really fun as well. or do sellsword/gotthard to make the most of those damage buffs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

Your starting weapon, the estoc, is quite strong and will work fine throughout the game. Another good option is the uchigatana which you can get right outside Firelink by killing the sword master though you need a couple levels to wield it.

LKS is a neat pick too though you must farm Lothric Knights to get it before mid game.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i win the most with my LKGS character: 40 vig, 40 end, 66 str, 16 dex, everything else in vit for big boy poise attacks from which set of knighty armor you like the most. it's fun as gently caress

edit: don't forget that despite it having innate lightning, you can still rub a resin on the LKGS

Do you not put any points into faith for extra holiness?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Do you not put any points into faith for extra holiness?

I get all my deus vulting by vaulting unbelievers into gel with that l2+r2 action and also I don't care about no wizard magic. Just big boy poise all day every day

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
aaaaa i beat dancer on the first attempt of the playthrough at lv25 with a +3 weapon :neckbeard:

I know that's a really pitiful achievement but I'm still really proud of it given how much grief she used to give me in the endgame.

Lemme tell you I've got real good at noticing and avoiding that slam-and-swipe attack she likes to sucker punch you with in phase 2

e: And Sirris immediately shows up and tells me she has heard I am most gentle of heart. Immediately I murdered a defenceless old woman in cold blood. lol.

KraftyMattKraft
Mar 28, 2017

Carl Seitan posted:

Either invasion works if you are looking to advance Heysel to the Keep Ruins bonfire.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm at the point where I have Friede 1 and 2 down to a fine art but Friede 3 fucks me every time.

Getting nervous about my ember stores...

Edit: ok I think the key is to NOT roll into her normal attacks and take a shot once she's done whipping her sickles around. Also to find her during her invisible phase for some free hits.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 20, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Huzzah!

I got her to half health with zero estus left and thought it was time to put my divine blessing to good use. The sheer terror when both she and I were at a sliver of health and I had to wait for an opening was peak Soulsborne.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just summned a phantom for friede and I thought it failed so I summoned a second and then they both appeared, so we strode in like the a-team and did some mighty combat.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I joined a Friede battle as a phantom and have to say it lost some of its grace as we cornered her against a wall and smashed R1 for a minute.

I am so disoriented by Earthen Peak because it looks like I'm running up walls.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I bought a domain for the randomizer this morning, but it's not active yet. Should be by tonight I am hoping.

I also prettied everything up.

Edit: no need for temp url anymore. The real one seems to be working.

Bookmark this one:

http://ds3randomizer.com

HaB fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 20, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

snoremac posted:

I joined a Friede battle as a phantom and have to say it lost some of its grace as we cornered her against a wall and smashed R1 for a minute.
Lady Maria in Bloodborne is the same way. Awesome fight unless you manage to catch her in a corner and just R1 smash while she can't recover.

That said, it feels good to exploit somebody else's lack of poise for once, and both fights already encourage playing aggressive so it makes sense to reward you with long stunlocks if you manage to tag them with good hits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Loading up on max bullet runes, then knocking Maria over with the Beast Roar spell and wailing on her while she recovers over and over is the best way to fight her. drat lady you had a real epic fight set up here, hope you don't mind if I completely spoil it for you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

Loading up on max bullet runes, then knocking Maria over with the Beast Roar spell and wailing on her while she recovers over and over is the best way to fight her. drat lady you had a real epic fight set up here, hope you don't mind if I completely spoil it for you

If you figure out the percentage where the Orphan of Kos hulks out into phase two, you can hit him to just there, then stunlock most of the rest of his health off if you bring the gatling gun in with you and spec for it. That and the chainsaw really trivializes the fight.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JBP posted:

Sharp Sellsword Twinblades, grind Ghru for 10 swordgrass to get the Old Wolf Curved Greatsword, get the Pontiff's Eye Ring from the Pontiff Beast at Irythill, apply buff of your choice, shred everything that stands before you.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
DNS seems to have kicked in

http://ds3randomizer.com

Enjoy!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

grind Ghru for 10 swordgrass to get the Old Wolf Curved Greatsword

Or just kill 10 poor suckers who dare wade through your swamp. :getin:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

And Tyler Too! posted:

Or just kill 10 poor suckers who dare wade through your swamp. :getin:

If you can get a) summoned b) into a world where the host doesn't have two phantoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017
Just reached Gael.

Ringed City had some great moments that reminded me of Dark Souls 1 with those spread bonfires that makes you nervous. And the visuals are amazing, I loved the "real" version of the city in the end, where you can see Lothric and Anor Londo in the distance in a "murky" land due to the fading of the fire.. impressive scenary that's evocative of the game's themes. But, ultimately, I felt DS3 DLCs are inferior to DS1' Artorias of the Abyss and BB' Old Hunters because the Ringed City lore is too loose/apart from the main DS3 game, while those others are tightly integrated and even foreshadowed by the main games (seeing fabled Artorias and Ludwig in flesh is amazing, while Friede and Gael, despite awesome fights, lack the same emotional impact). Regardless, a nice farewell to the series.