Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

👏google👏is👏an👏advertising👏company👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

fishmech posted:

you can just run the normal maps app though?
you can't if your phone is connected to android auto, it IS the normal maps app but neutered and also android auto force-blanks your screen

so you have to unhook your phone, load up where you want to go, hit directions, then plug it back in

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
don't indulge oxballs he seems to flee subforums whenever a majority of us catch on to his maga troll ways

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
like yeah android auto is still a better offering than what car companies can come up with for their "infotainment" poo poo but that's a bar about the height of a curb, how do you gently caress this up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

it also refuses to display SMS or hangout messages, but will happily take 10 times as long as a glance down to read them out to you in garbled text to speech

this is cool & good

dont text and drive fucko

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

like yeah android auto is still a better offering than what car companies can come up with for their "infotainment" poo poo but that's a bar about the height of a curb, how do you gently caress this up

yeah, its all gold until the maps. the best that auto makers do is make the ui pedestrian and simple, but that only, ironically, seems to be available on autos that support carplay and android auto

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, its all gold until the maps.

nah, the feature where you can only play music by selecting a playlist, and after you've skipped ahead like 10 songs the car won't let you skip any more until you pull over -- that is also a big pile of turds

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hi guys my new job has me writing stuff for android auto as well as writing stuff for infotainment systems that run customized versions of android OS

I'll have to post more details later but for now know this: it's really, really fuckin bad

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm also not sure what I can say and what I can't say other than I dislike android and after trying to figure out how to run automated testing on them, getting it working, and decompiling HVAC.apk and looking at the manifest permissions ho boy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i sit near the guys who make android auto if you want me to ask them any questions. they constantly bitch about the manufacturers and their platforms.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i sit near the guys who make android auto if you want me to ask them any questions. they constantly bitch about the manufacturers and their platforms.

that's the problem I run into. I'm sure using android os for an infotainment system is great especially compared to the lovely Qt Linux atrocities they've been using since 2006 but oh boy wowwie do the manufacturers have no idea what they're doing when they write apps that interface with CAN and or MOST systems

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://twitter.com/csolisr/status/887359231401361408

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anroid users:

extremely autistic, extremely poor, or both

pick one :fishmech:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Abuse of the term rom by phone autists still annoys me

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

bricking is misused a lot too.

"my phone is bricked!!" *reinstalls just fine*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

Abuse of the term rom by phone autists still annoys me

i always hated the term EPROM because it contradicts itself

it is me who is autistic i expect

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WOM however remains the best term

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

WOM however remains the best term

:wom:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

anroid users:

extremely autistic, extremely poor, or both

pick one :fishmech:

well i mostly thought it was funny the custom rom guy would be ok with his phone being unable to call emergency numbers for just a week

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fart simpson posted:

well i mostly thought it was funny the custom rom guy would be ok with his phone being unable to call emergency numbers for just a week

part of being a lolbertarian open source enthusiast is owning like, a lot of guns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

dont need emergency services when you conceal carry and have wilderness training BITCH

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lol my IT department just implemented Samsung Knox and my coworkers are pissed that they can't use the Pixel or their personal anroid devices now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
love vendor lock in, esp samsung who has such a great track record on security

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bhodi posted:

love vendor lock in, esp samsung who has such a great track record on security

i talked to them about this and how half of the devices in rotation rn arent allowed on airplanes and for an international company that flies a lot that is probably unwise

I think it may be a thinly veiled attempt to get more people to switch to iPhone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why does your company have any notes 7 at all?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

why does your company have any notes 7 at all?

i dont know, probably the consultants begging for it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i talked to them about this and how half of the devices in rotation rn arent allowed on airplanes and for an international company that flies a lot that is probably unwise

I think it may be a thinly veiled attempt to get more people to switch to iPhone
lmao

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ask them what android auto is supposed to do

when they answer follow up with "then why the gently caress doesnt it do that"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

good

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maskenfreiheit posted:

part of being a lolbertarian open source enthusiast is owning like, a lot of guns

can confirm this applies to phones as well

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
why are phones so popular among those anyways. presumably, they don't go out that much so the portability is moot. and build-your-own computers still offer a lot more variety to satiate tendencies of the insane.

phones, you buy and use them. if it sucks, there's not much you can do outside of modified OSes which are declining in popularity even for android.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

because of people like this guy

codo27 posted:

Laugh all you want but Windows phone was the only good mobile OS I've ever used except for the lack of apps which I was fine with til snapchat disallowed third party apps (never was an official one available). But it was infinitely smoother and more stable than Android and iOS and I really liked how it was lightyears ahead of them in hands free control. I could easily read texts out loud in the car and dictate responses with no physical input at all which I still can't do with Android, and that's just bonkers. Partly the fault of my Honda too which leaves a lot to be desired in that regard. They have a big hard on for Apple but I have gently caress all functionality with anything else and the drat car is a '15.

Sony doesn't get any regard either but the Z3 compact I had was one of, if not the smoothest experience I've had on Android. But at this point I'm only still with Android because the only other option is far worse. Be nice if Google could hire someone who could create a menu interface that isn't hot garbage visually, or just give us drat control at least over the colors. Yes yes launchers launchers but you shouldn't need them, nor to do stuff like change the grid layout of your home screen.

I'm a power user and all my computers are reflective of that but there's no power user option for phones. Go buy whatever flagship you want and it will still stutter more often than it should but that's the price you pay for being able to actually do things unlike on iOS.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what cant you do on ios that you can do on android other than play pirated anime waifu games and download phone herpes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the answer to that is invariably always piracy or customization

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what cant you do on ios that you can do on android other than play pirated anime waifu games and download phone herpes

can you plug an iphone into a pc and copy a file to it without itunes yet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

can you plug an iphone into a pc and copy a file to it without itunes yet

iCloud Drive :v:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if you dont airdrop it from your mac just lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

generally the use case for a physical connection is a lack of internet on the computer but that's an edge case i guess

android ecosystem has never been better than ios for non-shameful things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

generally the use case for a physical connection is a lack of internet on the computer but that's an edge case i guess

i dont think you need internet to share things wirelessly via airdrop

• Locked thread