Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't actually read any Miss Marple stories. :(

The TV shows are better, reading the books in order is very depressing. You watch her get frailer and less able to look after herself with time as she deals with all of her friends dying around her, the last few books are horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I'm a golden age of detective fiction nerd and he's absolutely not.

Holmes was all about addictive reasoning and scientific methodology, although it went very strange at times as Conan Doyle's belief in the supernatural would seep through into the stories, especially after The Final Problem, because he really really didn't want to be writing any more Holmes stories but the publishers were willing to pay him such an astronomical amount that he caved in.

Poirot was invented to explore the then brand new subject of psychology using the latest method of the times. :)

As a side note it always utterly amazes me that Moriarty and Adler feature so prominently in pretty much anything Sherlock Holmes, because there is pretty much gently caress all written about them by Conan Doyle. Trust me, 90% of what you think you know about the pair of them comes from fan fiction going right back to the 1890s.

Fair enough.

And yeah, Moriarty is in one darn short story (and mentioned briefly in Hound of the Baskervilles) and I think that's it for the original work, IIRC. Plus, everything they say about him is told rather than shown - Holmes basically just says "This man is a supervillain who has been behind many major crimes and I've been tracking him forever!" and then they have a brief standoff. That's it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It is very clear that the draw of Holmes is in the character rather than in the stories told around him. This is why you get Holmes but as a Doctor and such. He is the prototype of the prickly genius archetype.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

And yeah, Moriarty is in one darn short story (and mentioned briefly in Hound of the Baskervilles) and I think that's it for the original work, IIRC.

It was "The Final Problem" and The Valley of Fear that had Moriarty and his presence in the latter is, as you say, pretty incidental.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

The TV shows are better, reading the books in order is very depressing. You watch her get frailer and less able to look after herself with time as she deals with all of her friends dying around her, the last few books are horrible.

Oh, great. I just started with the first one recently. Went through all of Poirot and figured it was time. I can't wait to vicariously experience Dame Agatha's depression in real time again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On Detective tv I am exactly one episode into the Miss Fischer mysteries show on Netflix. It's a about a twenties Flapper who solves crimes in Australia, and it is pretty good so far.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

As a side note it always utterly amazes me that Moriarty and Adler feature so prominently in pretty much anything Sherlock Holmes, because there is pretty much gently caress all written about them by Conan Doyle. Trust me, 90% of what you think you know about the pair of them comes from fan fiction going right back to the 1890s.

Have you ever read Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles or Angels of Music by Kim Newman?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, great. I just started with the first one recently. Went through all of Poirot and figured it was time. I can't wait to vicariously experience Dame Agatha's depression in real time again.

Don't read the last tommy and tuppence whatever you do. Christie had dementia when she wrote it and had no concept of what time was, it's absolute nightmare fuel.

Hey I could spare people a lot of pain here couldn't I.

Campion mysteries turn to absolute poo poo at book 18, the mind readers.

Lord Peter Wimsey Series: run screaming from book 11, The Nine Tailors, trust me trust me trust me. Last two books in the series, In the Teeth of the Evidence and Striding folly are a big old lump of massive let down.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

learnincurve posted:

a big list of rules.

Only one secret passage per story? Pah, John Dickson Carr laughs at your so-called rules

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think there's only one really supernatural Holmes story (Adventure of the Creeping Man). Professor Challenger is where Doyle put all his newfound belief in spiritualism.

I remember downloading a lot of Conan Doyle when I was on a public domain kick after getting a Kindle, and starting off The Poison Cloud.

"Alright, so Earth is passing through a toxic cloud in the luminous aether, lol but I'll give it a pass because it's early sci-fi schlock. It's making everyone irrationally pissed off, cool, it's affecting lower lying areas first somehow, so everyone at sea level is screwed. All good so far. Oh, it's killing all the non-white people first because they have less developed brains nope nope gently caress this :staredog:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Campion mysteries turn to absolute poo poo at book 18, the mind readers.

In fairness, that was the last one Allingham wrote by herself before she died, then the last couple after it were by her husband.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Only one secret passage per story? Pah, John Dickson Carr laughs at your so-called rules

I can only think of To Wake the Dead as having even ONE secret passage in a JDC story, are there any I'm missing?

(I know you're not being entirely serious, but secret passages are basically unforgiveable in a fair play detective story, and dammit, John Dickson Carr was better than that. Mostly)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

learnincurve posted:

Holmes was a prototype, and in fact he wasn't actually very well written, his stories compare to a lot of others even at the time were bad, so bad in fact the golden age detective writers actually sat down in 1929 and wrote a big list of rules.

This list rules, and should be followed by more movies/TV shows today.

Except that secret passage way thing. Because Clue had 2, and Clue rules.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you ever read Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles or Angels of Music by Kim Newman?

Naw sorry, my reading list is far too long to add on stuff from series I'm not really into, it's just a different genre to the stuff I read which is mostly E.C. Bentley (1913) onwards. If anyone wants a jump in point then James Anderson nailed elements from golden age and P.G. Wodehouse with his semi-satirical burford family series https://www.goodreads.com/series/68720-burford-family

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I mean, Poirot alone would like to have some words about the narrator concealing things and the detective committing the crime.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sinepost posted:

I can only think of To Wake the Dead as having even ONE secret passage in a JDC story, are there any I'm missing?

(I know you're not being entirely serious, but secret passages are basically unforgiveable in a fair play detective story, and dammit, John Dickson Carr was better than that. Mostly)

Yeah, I was making a not entirely accurate joke about the master of Stories That Are Kind of Fair I Guess? But Not Really

Meanwhile, I heartily recommend X Jones of Scotland Yard by Harry Stephen Keeler. A man is found dead in the middle of a lawn, and police suspect a midget who disguises himself as a baby while strangling people from helicopter!

The solution?

He has a genetic condition that supposedly he got by being descended from Napoleon that makes him go mad and then die suddenly in a way that looks exactly like he's been strangled

It's really masterful stuff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

http://home.williampoundstone.net/Keeler/Home.html

For potential fans of Keeler (that's literally everyone)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

http://home.williampoundstone.net/Keeler/Home.html

For potential fans of Keeler (that's literally everyone)

That looks amazing. The world is full of so many weird and wonderful writers. :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DancingShade posted:

bright neon pink dress with sequins and glitter

JNT account spotted.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

This list rules, and should be followed by more movies/TV shows today.

Except that secret passage way thing. Because Clue had 2, and Clue rules.

What is your problem with Chinese people?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

marktheando posted:

What is your problem with Chinese people?

Okay, to be fair, I forgot about that one when I posted. But the way they meant in this rule, I mentally read it as, "Don't do yellow peril stories like the second episode of Sherlock."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, to be fair, I forgot about that one when I posted. But the way they meant in this rule, I mentally read it as, "Don't do yellow peril stories like the second episode of Sherlock."

Haha seems uh, a little unlikely for 1929.

I just assumed the writers were bitter about the popularity of Charlie Chan.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Man, I wandered in here to take a break from work/the Trump thread and suddenly remembered, as I saw the thread, that Jodie Whittaker is the Doctor. :)

Then I remember how far away her series is and why I forgot in the first place :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

marktheando posted:

There were some horrifically racist Holmes stories involving chinamen that simply went too far, even for the people of 1929.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

There were some horrifically racist Holmes stories involving chinamen that simply went too far, even for the people of 1929.

We're still talking about the second episode of Sherlock right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That or Talons

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

marktheando posted:

I didn't say I was right. But that's where my mind went.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That or Talons

Mind you, Talons did at least have one of the horrific racist Chinese caricature villains drily say "Of course, we all look the same to you".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

marktheando posted:

We're still talking about the second episode of Sherlock right?

I never watched it, I'm assuming sign of the four. Did they faithfully recreate the sinister Chinese manservant, the savage Muslims, and the evil pigmy cannibal?

Edit: ah there we go, that's the reason most people think the fan fiction is the canon version, gently caress people like Steven Fry and Moffat for whitewashing this bullshit.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Doctor Who RPG and a bunch of sourcebooks and stuff for It are in the new Humble book bundle.

I don't really play these kinds of things (my brother and I tried out the DBZ game for a little bit in high school I think but it was just the two of us and neither of us really had much idea what we were doing so it went about as well as you'd expect) but I really enjoy flicking through game books based on properties I like (the aforementioned DBZ, I bought a bunch of the old Paladium Robotech books off eBay a few years back when I was in a real Macross/Robotech phase) so I'm pretty interested just on that front.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah that bundle is absolutely worth it for the Doctor sourcebooks alone.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Ronald Knox posted:

The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
No Chinaman must figure in the story.
No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
The detective himself must not commit the crime.
The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.

... what? :stare:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

On Detective tv I am exactly one episode into the Miss Fischer mysteries show on Netflix. It's a about a twenties Flapper who solves crimes in Australia, and it is pretty good so far.

Miss Fisher is real good for that type of mystery show, but I was disappointed when her Watson turns out to be her shy Catholic maid, and not the cool lesbian doctor from the pilot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

remusclaw posted:

It is very clear that the draw of Holmes is in the character rather than in the stories told around him. This is why you get Holmes but as a Doctor and such. He is the prototype of the prickly genius archetype.
One of the reasons to do Holmes as a Doctor is because he's based on a doctor. Which is how you get a Holmes and Watson pastiche with Doyle in the Watson role.

demota posted:

... what? :stare:
It's meant to be that no racist caricatures should be used (ie Chinese people aren't all Fu Manchu), but the passage of time has meant that that rule itself now looks racist.

E: Part of the reason I actually like Terror of the Vervoids is that it's clearly trying to be an Agatha Christie-style story.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSWfRzN5t1w

Knockoffs are always good

The Dentist and his Sonic Amiibo, zooming around in the TARGUS - Time And Relative Girth Under Space

Fund it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yvonmukluk posted:

It seems the Daleks haven't taken the news of the 13th Doctor's identity well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGBU5oODz8

You know I think they missed a real chance to explore a pretty fascinating concept here. The Doctor's quiet,"Since when do the Daleks have a concept of blasphemy?" or words to that effect is just dripping with promise. Daleks built from human DNA: Daleks that aren't technically Daleks, know this, and HATE themselves for it driving them even more insane than usual to the point that they develop religious mania for the "true" perfection of the Dalek Emperor and start to consider it a god (and it is insane too so it happily embraces the concept). But it's all mostly incidental outside of the Bad Wolf casting down the Emperor's delusions of grandeur ("I am God!" "You are nothing!") and they're all wiped out.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Is it worth listening to The War Doctor audios in order? I've got a bit of extra money and want to buy one. If it doesn't matter, which is the best one?

I think the last boxset is (unfortunately) the one where the series finally started to live up to the promise of the utter batshit insanity of the Time War, though it relies on pre-established characterization/events from the other audios for the relationship between the Doctor and Ollistra to really hit home. They're all perfectly listenable but the first three suffer a bit in that they feel like you could easily slot any other incarnation of the Doctor into 80% of the events of the stories and it wouldn't feel out of place. You could argue this is intentional since the War Doctor's insistence he doesn't deserve the name Doctor is meant to be inaccurate, but in my opinion there should still be some point of distinction between him and the other incarnations - for the most part none of the horrible things he does stands outside the range of actions the other Doctors could (or have) done in the past.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
amiibo you say? I can think of only one person to star in that show! Me!

Jerusalem posted:

I think the last boxset is (unfortunately) the one where the series finally started to live up to the promise of the utter batshit insanity of the Time War, though it relies on pre-established characterization/events from the other audios for the relationship between the Doctor and Ollistra to really hit home. They're all perfectly listenable but the first three suffer a bit in that they feel like you could easily slot any other incarnation of the Doctor into 80% of the events of the stories and it wouldn't feel out of place. You could argue this is intentional since the War Doctor's insistence he doesn't deserve the name Doctor is meant to be inaccurate, but in my opinion there should still be some point of distinction between him and the other incarnations - for the most part none of the horrible things he does stands outside the range of actions the other Doctors could (or have) done in the past.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the Doctor to suddenly be a vengeful god or anything...but the War Doctor just feels like any other Doctor, except grumpy about it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cleretic posted:

Like how Twelve didn't really have a single signature outfit, but he definitely had a look that they played around within.

I hope he remembers not to wear the sweater with all the holes in it before he regenerates. :ohdear:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I wish he'd remembered not to wear it ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Yeah that bundle is absolutely worth it for the Doctor sourcebooks alone.

Yeah, I went ahead and got it and skimmed through the First Doctor sourcebook on my phone while waiting for a doctor's appointment that was running behind. Exactly the kind of thing I like from these sorts of things.

• Locked thread