Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Finals these days seem to be poo poo I either get right away or not at all. The Switzerland/Swaziland one was a good one because it wasn't very easy, but it wasn't esoteric either (I didn't get it, for what it's worth, but I should've). If the first two rounds are stuff you either know or don't know, Final Jeopardy should be things that you don't get right away but can reason from a reasonable base of knowledge to get the correct answer (the Nostradamus one from a while back was an example of one that I liked, in that style).

EDIT: Today's was ridiculous, though. Almost every single question in the online quiz for potential contestants was more difficult than that. Also, quite frankly disappointed that Alex went for the strong Russian accent when announcing the answer, rather than "Ra-ra-ras-poutine" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

another hella easy final jeopardy and even Alex commented that the clues are getting easier

the women in first place going into final had 14800 and the woman in second place had 10400

the logical bet for the first woman is 6001 to ensure she will win even if the woman in second place doubles her score

she wagered 5000 and ended up with only 19800 so she should lose if the woman in second place got it right and wagered correctly

the woman in second place got it right but only wagered 8801 so she ended up with 19201

so Deborah remains the champ even though she wagered wrong, because the other woman also wagered wrong

i really don't get how people keep doing this poo poo. do any of them watch the show they're on??

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ein cooler Typ posted:

has anyone else noticed that females don't play the game properly and never wager boldly enough

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Today they had a category called "that's uge" to make fun of the president

When did sjws take over the writing staff

Ein cooler Typ posted:

A whole category about the black history museum. Has anyone else noticed Jeopardy! doing more robocop stuff lately?

Also I hate the clue crew. All their clues take up too much time. I bet the game ended with leftover clues because the clue crew category took up too much time. And their clues are badly written; the first 80% of the clue is just about the special location, and you only need like the last 20% to figure out the answer. The whole thing is a waste of time.

The clue crew was only invented imo to get more normies and casuals interested in the game. "Here's cool young attractive people going to interesting places! See, Jeopardy! isn't just for boring old people."

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so the final is two Chinese guys and an Indian guy

white millennials are falling behind on the Jeopardy! curve. they're probably too busy staring at their cell phones to learn trivia
PCOS Bill's parachute account spotted.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the racist ones were trolling but the one about wagering in final jeopardy is a legitimate complaint

people complained about Arthur Chu but at least he actually did some research and learned how to play the game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress arthur chu forever tbh. that was an annoying as hell run to watch. iron your goddamn shirt you slob.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if you don't like Arthur Chu you're a filthy casual fan. You probably like the interview segments too

he was a great player

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i watch the game for trivia not for theory. i still need to see that documentary where he turns out to be as awful as his nationally televised attire suggested.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Chu's twitter feed is a good way to build self esteem. My wife asked who I was reading that prompted such mocking laughter, and I described him as a guy who was professionally an emasculated Asian who also had a Jeopardy hobby once.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i really don't get how people keep doing this poo poo. do any of them watch the show they're on??

Nerves, honestly. You basically have unlimited time (within reason) to make your Final Jeopardy wager, and you second guess yourself all the drat time. Mine was a rather easy bet to make, but there's a reason why Keith Williams made all those Final Wager videos and analyses about wagering strategy on his website before he stopped.

I remember reading a story in the Jeopardy Contestant Facebook group from a ToC contestant from two ToCs ago (I think it was either Kristen Sausville or Julia Collins) who was taking so long on her Final wager (like 15-20 minutes, I think) because she just kept redoing the numbers on the sheet of paper they give you to work out the math, and couldn't come up with a good wager, to the point where Alex stepped up to her podium, and in a full on Uncle Alex moment, asked if "Math wasn't her strong suit" after she had already won so many games to qualify for the ToC in the first place. Nerves are a helluva thing.

Also, Arthur Chu ruled and his hatedom only fed him. So many ridiculous complaints from the peanut gallery; if you think you can do better, prove it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 19, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

GhostStalker posted:

Also, Arthur Chu ruled and his hatedom only fed him. So many ridiculous complaints from the peanut gallery; if you think you can do better, prove it.

Where do we submit our pictures of us wearing professional clothing without looking like we woke up under a bridge?

I personally find it weird that none of Hitler's critics have tried their own genocide or conquest of Europe before thinking themselves qualified to offer opinions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

i'd crush him at elementary school difficulty sports trivia while ironing a shirt.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

words about Deborah's FJ wagering

She did it again today. Bet 6k, not enough to cover 2nd. Only won because she was the only one to get it right.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Where do we submit our pictures of us wearing professional clothing without looking like we woke up under a bridge?

I personally find it weird that none of Hitler's critics have tried their own genocide or conquest of Europe before thinking themselves qualified to offer opinions.

Hey man, if you want to try and out-Hitler Hitler to prove a point, be my guest.

I'm just saying there's already a system set up for you to try and prove yourself better than Chu, but good luck getting on the show to do so and then having a winning streak of more than 13 games. 5 people or so have done it, not counting Watson who beat the overall top two, so I'm sure you can be number 6 and knock him down a level or two of his big money ranking perch.

I could understand the hatedom if he somehow ruined the game forever just by being on the show and not just got infamous for betting to tie and employing a Forrest Bounce and knowing his weaknesses to the point of ridiculousness, but whatever. He's just a guy who was on the show for a little more than 3 weeks all told. I don't get why people are so invested in hating him, but then again, every Jeopardy champ develops some hate, some much more than others, so I guess it's just natural.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
My only knowledge of Arthur Chu is from Twitter, where he constantly tries out for the position of Platonic ideal of the angry tiny-dicked Asian male. I have no opinion of his Jeopardy run (none of which I've seen) except that it seems to have made him deeply unhappy by once again failing to make him feel like he matters or has earned any respect from those he envies yet don't know he exists.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

if you think you can do better, prove it.

Come on, man, this is the same kind of bullshit as when people say, "Well, if you think so and so is such a bad director, I don't see YOU making better movies than him, how's the view from the cheap seats?"

I mean, you of all people know how ridiculously infinitesimal the odds of making it all the way to a TV taping are, don't pull the smug "heh, why don't you do it" crap.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

What kind of world is this where we can't make fun of jeopardy contestants unless we go on the show and win more money first?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Timby posted:

Come on, man, this is the same kind of bullshit as when people say, "Well, if you think so and so is such a bad director, I don't see YOU making better movies than him, how's the view from the cheap seats?"

I mean, you of all people know how ridiculously infinitesimal the odds of making it all the way to a TV taping are, don't pull the smug "heh, why don't you do it" crap.

Fair enough, it's just my default response to peanut gallery over the top hatedoms that I picked up from other former Jeopardy contestants in response to bullshit Facebook complaints regarding contestants. Arthur Chu's just hits all of my buttons.

And honestly, it was mostly the waiting that killed me for getting on the show. I got an audition my second time taking the test, though I know others haven't been so lucky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GhostStalker posted:

Fair enough, it's just my default response to peanut gallery over the top hatedoms that I picked up from other former Jeopardy contestants in response to bullshit Facebook complaints regarding contestants.

Didn't you once brag in this thread about how the network of former contestants "rolls deep" like some sort of trivia nerd fight club? Because responses like this don't make you sound any less haughty.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Timby posted:

Didn't you once brag in this thread about how the network of former contestants "rolls deep" like some sort of trivia nerd fight club? Because responses like this don't make you sound any less haughty.

Yeah, I admit that was super dumb of me. I dunno, I guess it's just because Chu was kinda a big part of my own Jeopardy experience, I just get like super defensive over people's overblown complaints regarding him or whatever. I'll drop it now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the racist ones were trolling

You're just a pretend bigot, right?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Timby posted:

in GS's defense this is the trivia dork thread, if ever there was an appropriate place to say something that corny, this is it

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I admit that was super dumb of me. I dunno, I guess it's just because Chu was kinda a big part of my own Jeopardy experience, I just get like super defensive over people's overblown complaints regarding him or whatever. I'll drop it now.
I liked your stories about the j! street boyz tbqh, though I will always make fun of you becaus eit is my way

Zesty posted:

You're just a pretend bigot, right?
that "I'm just pretending to be retarded" joke thats been around the interent forever has never been more appropriate

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
lol @ Alex misinterpreting the meaning of snake trail

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
We make fun of Arthur Chu because he was and is an annoying twit and that's not going to change

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha i just found out arthur chu has be blocked on twitter and i've never loving tweeted at him.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahaha i just found out arthur chu has be blocked on twitter and i've never loving tweeted at him.

I think he went through blocking lowtax followers when Lowtax said something mean about him.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Yeah, it's a thing people do, especially people who get a lot of harassment on twitter like Chu does. They'll add certain people to block lists and automatically block anyone that follows those accounts. Chu probably has like Lowtax, and the Chapo guys, and people like that on that list.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
How did Alex think that Final was hard? I got it before he was done talking.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zakharov posted:

Both I and a friend of mine who obnoxiously asks people to quiz him about state capitals when he gets drunk didn't get it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, it's a thing people do, especially people who get a lot of harassment on twitter like Chu does. They'll add certain people to block lists and automatically block anyone that follows those accounts. Chu probably has like Lowtax, and the Chapo guys, and people like that on that list.

Lol hold up, does Chu have some beef with Chapo?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Love it when contestants stick with a category despite none of them getting it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zakharov posted:

Yeah, that was super obvious, I got it in 5 seconds.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Lol hold up, does Chu have some beef with Chapo?
Yup, they've mocked him for his centrist left-bashing (most recently equating single-payer advocates with pizza-gaters) and popularized the jokes of him being moist and swarming with ants based on the interview with his ex-wife. So if you follow any of them, an autoblock is pretty assured.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 21, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

must be cuz i follow one of the chapo guys. what a giant loving baby.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Final Jeopardy category: Colleges

When this school opened in 1845, the curriculum for the class of 50 had math & navigation, chemistry & gunnery & steam

the answer the contestants gave was "U.S. Naval Academy"

when I was watching at home I said "Annapolis"

do you think the judges would have accepted that?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Final Jeopardy category: Colleges

When this school opened in 1845, the curriculum for the class of 50 had math & navigation, chemistry & gunnery & steam

the answer the contestants gave was "U.S. Naval Academy"

do you think the judges would have accepted that?

gonna say no because would they accept "College Station" for Texas A&M or "State College" for Penn State?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

gonna say no because would they accept "College Station" for Texas A&M or "State College" for Penn State?

I disagree, since they likely would've accepted "West Point" for the USMA. Both it and the Naval Academy are colloquially referred to by their locations, though I guess Annapolis has more going for it than just the military academy, unlike West Point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why the incredulity at guessing sloth, Alex? Sloths are classified by their number of toes and it's not unheard of for them to be exotic pets.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Huh, didn't realize my wife posted here.

Anyway, anecdotal evidence suggests that's a commonly accepted name for the school so it'd be an interesting conundrum.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

haveblue posted:

Why the incredulity at guessing sloth, Alex? Sloths are classified by their number of toes and it's not unheard of for them to be exotic pets.

Sloth was the first thing that jumped into my mind (conjoined three-toed sloths? I dunno), then I realized it was a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

haveblue posted:

Yeah I immediately said sloth, for that exact reason

I realized it was wrong right away, but it's a totally natural place for your mind to go