Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Gaz2k21 posted:

How difficult is it to mod a PS2 to load from a hard drive and is it worth doing if I already have most of the games I want? Is there anything else it can do? Like a media player or something.

You need a PS2 fat + network adapter or a PS2 slim.

With the fat, the network adapter takes IDE drives, so you can get an old IDE drive, or you can use adapters to use other drives as well. Many people do IDE to Sata to SD card readers and use SD cards with the games installed.

With a slim, you attach a usb drive. However, its only USB1.1 so it loads real slow and cut scenes often become skippy. So I personally stick with the fat + IDE drive.

You need a memory card with FreeMcBoot. You can make your own using certain games (I think 007 Agent Under Fire is one of them). You just need to cut an old gift card in a hook shape so you can pull out the tray and do a disc swap. There are plenty of guides on google.

On that memory card, you will be able to load HDLoader or OpenPS2Loader to play games you burned to the hard drive.

You can play off of games installed on a hard drive on your PC and it loads it over the network, but I have never tried that. I just connect my PS2 to my home network and install games as I see fit on my HDD since it is 120GB and doesn't hold my entire PS2 collection, I burn the disk images to an external HDD on my PC, and then transfer the game over the network to save wear and tear on the disk drive of the PS2. Plus, then you have the images of the games backed up somewhere.

I do think it is worth it as the disk drives on these things do go out, so the less wear and tear the better. The games aren't 100% compatible, but enough are that you probably will only have a handful that you have to play off of the disk itself.

Also, a fellow goon may have an extra memory card they can copy free mcboot to and sell you to save yourself the time of making your own. I would, but I don't have any extra memory cards.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Breadallelogram posted:

Actually it looks like the super everdrive and sd2snes both work on jp systems... anyone here have hands-on experience with that?

Oh yeah, in terms of electronics there's absolutely zero difference between US and JP systems so the everdrive and the like work exactly the same on both. The only difference is the casing where the US has a larger slot with tabs at the bottom intended to prevent inserting Japanese carts and the Japanese systems have a completely molded cartridge slot that only allows the smaller, rounded SFC carts be inserted.

FWIW, I have used the exact same Super Everdrive on a SFC and a SNES. It was gift and I have a SFC that I use and I had to make sure it was functioning and load up an SD card, then we plugged it into the recipient's SNES.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's a ton of ebay sellers now that will sell you a free mcboot card for like $7 shipped. I just did that to save time.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys

If I wanted to play Jade Empire should I play the original Xbox one or the one that was rerelease for iPhone? Not sure if the Xbox one has aged so bad it wasn't worth it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Oh yeah, in terms of electronics there's absolutely zero difference between US and JP systems so the everdrive and the like work exactly the same on both. The only difference is the casing where the US has a larger slot with tabs at the bottom intended to prevent inserting Japanese carts and the Japanese systems have a completely molded cartridge slot that only allows the smaller, rounded SFC carts be inserted.

FWIW, I have used the exact same Super Everdrive on a SFC and a SNES. It was gift and I have a SFC that I use and I had to make sure it was functioning and load up an SD card, then we plugged it into the recipient's SNES.

Yeah, generally speaking most well-known sellers put the SNES carts in a "universal" cart, which is a custom-made EU/JP-style cart but that has the grooves on the back so the plastic tabs on a US model don't prevent it from going in. If you get it in a US-style cartridge then that'll only fit in a US system unless it's taken out of that shell. And there are even a few SNES games which have identical internal boards/ROM's between US and Japan, like Super Metroid and Mario Paint.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Hey guys

If I wanted to play Jade Empire should I play the original Xbox one or the one that was rerelease for iPhone? Not sure if the Xbox one has aged so bad it wasn't worth it.

Has anyone ever said, "Oh yes, the iPhone port is the way to play that game!"

Think about that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True, just wasn't sure if the trade of resolution would be worth it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"Atari isn't really historically relevant and nobody cares about them"

- half of this thread, 2017

:psypop:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Hey guys

Generally all three versions of the Special Edition are the same, though the PC version has bugs on modern hardware and the iPhone version you have to play on an iPhone.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The XBox version is the one to play, especially since it's 360 compatible, which i'm assuming means that it's also Xbone compatible.

It's also the best Bioware game. disagree & ill fite u after school

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Silhouette posted:

which i'm assuming means that it's also Xbone compatible.

Not yet, although OG Xbox compatibility is coming and it might be an offered title then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silhouette posted:

I didn't say it wasn't historically relevant, I just think that the interest in Atari even at its most popular is niche within a niche.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks guys. I have a original Xbox hooked up anyways so

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Silhouette posted:

Atari is relevant (both for popularizing home consoles and for destroying the market, briefly), but there are a scant few games for the system worth playing if you didnt grow up with the systems.

As much as people complain about Genesis' farty chainsaw synths, even the worst of those outdo what the Atari subjected people to.

And as someone else noticed, the age range of the forums makes it more likely that kids grew up with the 8-bit era, not the Arcade/Atari era, so the nostalgia effect wont be as pronouced.

Silhouette posted:

It's also the best Bioware game. disagree & ill fite u after school
I'll disagree since the twist is the most cliche bullshit imaginable. And the fighting system isnt that interesting.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

TVs Ian posted:

I know it works the other way - I used to be big into Parodius and I used one to play the Super Famicom games on a US SNES. I don't have a Super Famicom kicking around to test it that way though.

I would expect it to work just fine either way around because SNES carts only have a physical lockout mechanism, which is the shape of their cart.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Silhouette posted:

historically relevant, yes

worth revisiting in 2017, gently caress no without serious caveats

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Every once and a while I host video game parties where me and my friends get together and just play old video games all day long. One time I asked if anyone was interested in setting up my Atari 800XL so we could take turns playing Missile Command, Centipede, Space Invaders, and all those other arcade greats.

They looked at me like I took a poo poo on the floor. Then we went back to playing NBA Jam for the millionth time in a row.

That's my sad Atari story.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Console Role Player posted:

Every once and a while I host video game parties where me and my friends get together and just play old video games all day long. One time I asked if anyone was interested in setting up my Atari 800XL so we could take turns playing Missile Command, Centipede, Space Invaders, and all those other arcade greats.

They looked at me like I took a poo poo on the floor. Then we went back to playing NBA Jam for the millionth time in a row.

I'm sorry but nothing can compete with NBA Jam. What were you thinking.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

FilthyImp posted:

I'll disagree since the twist is the most cliche bullshit imaginable. And the fighting system isnt that interesting.

So it's a Bioware game then?

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Wizgot posted:

True.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Random Stranger posted:

Has anyone ever said, "Oh yes, the iPhone port is the way to play that game!"

Think about that.

Counterpoint: As far as I know, the iOS version of the original Shin Megami Tensei is the only way to play it in English with all the extra features and improvements from the GBA version.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Your mistake was not forcing them, at any cost, to play M.U.L.E.

4-player M.U.L.E. is optimum gaming.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Wizgot posted:

NBA Jam TE with full-court dunk cheat on = best two-player SNES sports game. We'd break triple digit final scores.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Finally got the one console I've been wanting since the 80's, now just need to get it modded for RGB.

Even got a handful of JRPG TGCD games with it that I'll never play.

edit

Martytoof posted:

Anyone else waiting on their OSSC with HDMI Audio upgrade? I paid out so long ago now and I guess their installation workshop is really backed up or something. Pretty frustrating but I'm hoping the payoff is good enough to warrant the wait.

Should have just gone framemeister.

yeah I ordered one when they went on sale recently, shipping window is still a month or so away.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Atari 8-bit computers are in a different league than the 2600. I like the 8-bit game library and systems quite a bit, and love the charm of the arcade ports. 2600 - I have no real desire to revisit the games. Yar's Revenge was cool. Maybe Warlords? The arcade ports were mostly trash.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Breadallelogram posted:

Actually it looks like the super everdrive and sd2snes both work on jp systems... anyone here have hands-on experience with that?

I've got the Famicom looking version of the sd2snes and it's great. Ended up with a SNES Mini, but would've gotten a Famicom if I could've found one at a decent price that wasn't yellowed to hell and back.

The SNES Mini is still pretty cheap and has the best video out, according to MLIG at least, but you have to get it modded for RGB if you're looking for that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FireMrshlBill posted:

I think the NES and SNES era graphics hold up better than PS1/N64 era. DC games are a mixed bag of what holds up. PS2/Xbox/GC is where 3D games start to hold up to the test of time IMO, and not even all of them. PS3/360 is when the definitely will hold up until we see what's "next".

There are some 2600 games that are worth playing. the classics. Though maybe it does require some nostalgia. I started gaming sometime after xmas of 88 when we got our NES. However, there was a 2600 around that my older siblings used. So I would break that out in the early 90s as a "throw back", so I did have some experience playing those games. So while I grew up after the 2600's hey day, I did have some nostalgia with it. I can see younger generations not giving a flip about that era at all and starting with the NES when looking for retro stuff to play. As well as following game series to their origins.

I mean the main thing that holds things back on Dreamcast, when the developer is competent, is the lack of storage space. The average space the GDROM ended up holding would be around 900 MB due to how you would not actually use the high density format on the whole disc, and usually threw away a decent number of megabytes for the plain cd audio "take this out of your discman, dummy" track. So textures would end up somewhat lacking and the like. The stylized look of games like Jet Set Radio dodged that of course. But it didn't take world class talent to make a game that looks good today anymore the way PS1/Saturn/N64 does. PS2/Xbox/GC had tons of sloppy games that don't hold up, but the Xbox could churn out quite respectable 720p/1080i on select games, and even a few PS2 games did that. Playing them on a modern TV, they look like polished early 360/PS3 titles.

I say the main thing with the 2600 is, the games just don't tend to hold up more than a 5-15 minute play session. It's what makes using a flashcart so great for the system, you can just switch as soon as you're bored without fumbling through a hundred carts.

Like even today, you might easily toss a few hours into giving SMB3 a really thorough playthrough with all the secrets, or of course actually spending 10 hours beating Final Fantasy. But it's hard to spend even like 30 minutes with any one 2600 title, or most games from similar systems.

Really, the introduction of practical save systems was a huge thing for allowing console games to be more than just something you play for 20 minutes at a time. Even games without saving allowed themselves to just be bigger, like SMB3.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My little brother was born in 2004 and he says SNES era games are unbearable and boring, would hate to see what he thinks of Atari games lol.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My little brother was born in 2004 and he says SNES era games are unbearable and boring, would hate to see what he thinks of Atari games lol.

Which ones did he try? I'd have to say he's right, albeit in general terms. The majority of most console libraries are garbage.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super Mario World, but his opinion was it was too kiddie and then stuff like Sonic and any main stream stuff. Liked Comix Zone though (rightfully)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Super Mario World, but his opinion was it was too kiddie and then stuff like Sonic and any main stream stuff. Liked Comix Zone though (rightfully)

poo poo. :sever:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Silhouette posted:

I think it's more like "atari 2600 games aren't much fun", because they're really not

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

My stepson (he's 17) asked to play SMB. So I watched him attempt it. I don't think he even made it out of world 6? Just died over and over. He played it though, next day and so on. He tried. But he lacked the finesse. He'd rather play FPSs.

Unless your little brother called SMW "too kiddie" after beating, then WTF?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kramdar posted:

Unless your little brother called SMW "too kiddie" after beating, then WTF?

The term for people who think like that is "teenagers". :v:

He would be the exact demographic targeted by the "Does what Nintendon't" campaign.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The best thing about Atari 2600 games was the rad boxart. Reminds me I oughta pick up that book that collected a bunch of it recently.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thinking about the 2600, was I the only person to program a game in Atari 2600 Basic?

I strongly suspect the answer is yes, but I want there to be another insane person out there like me...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

The best thing about Atari 2600 games was the rad boxart. Reminds me I oughta pick up that book that collected a bunch of it recently.

This is true. I think I spend more time reading and flipping through that book than I do playing the games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Silhouette posted:

Nobody's saying that, they're saying
-the 2600 library has aged horribly
-the people who still get excited for Atari products are mostly well-informed and aren't going to blindly buy anything that has the Atari name slapped on

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I have a 1Chip SFC and will be getting an SD2SNES hopefully with the black friday sale later this year. I know all the non-compatible games and have collected Japanese copies of the ones I want to play like Yoshi's Island and Kirby Superstar/DL3, but the one that is driving me crazy is Super Mario RPG. I loved that game as a kid and actually still own a NA copy, but the battery needs to be replaced and I don't want to go to the trouble of getting an NA SNES (especially if I'm looking for a 1-chip, also I live in Japan so I would be looking at ebay), and buying a 50-60 dollar slot converter thing seems ridiculous just to play this one game.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking since we are talking about only one game that is eluding me I should just swap the PCB into an SFC case. Has anyone done this? I also want to replace the battery on it like I said but have no soldering skills or tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Not sure how much they cost in your region but people generally just buy an action replay to deal with the slot issue.

• Locked thread